Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > What's my genre?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chad (last edited Jan 22, 2017 07:44AM) (new)

Chad Kriss | 5 comments Hi Everyone!

So I wrote a complete 70k fiction novel, but I'm unsure what the particular genre would technically be.

It's third person and does focus mainly on a 10-year-old-boy, but it also encases drug use, murder, sex, and strong language.

Here's the story.

Ten-year-old Charlie Carson’s reality is so bad the only way he can deal with his reality is through his imagination. While Richard Hanford hands Charlie's drug-addicted mother more narcotics, Charlie envisions Richard as super villain Doctor Psycho injecting an energy drainer serum in Charlie's trapped mother.

Just as Charlie overhears Doctor Psycho’s plan to destroy his newly made foes, his recently moved in, next-door neighbor and classmate, Denise Proctor, develops a crush on the ten-year-old boy. Even though the feeling is mutual, Charlie isn't sure if he should even acknowledge her presence, afraid Doctor Psycho might hurt her. With the help of a school bus driver, a college drug dealer, and a purple plush toy, Charlie must discover what makes a true hero to defeat Doctor Psycho.

If someone could take a look at it, and let me know what they think the genre might be, and let me know if they like it, I would appreciate it! :D

message 2: by Lauryn (new)

Lauryn April (laurynapril) | 5 comments Considering content I would market it as an adult book. I guess I'd maybe market it as a thriller. Maybe look up some other adult books with child protagonists and see how they're labeled. This makes me think a little bit of The Lovely Bones, which is about the murder of a 14 year old girl and told through her POV. That was a supernatural thriller, I think.

message 3: by Chad (new)

Chad Kriss | 5 comments Great Lauryn! I appreciate the help on that!

message 4: by Benny (new)

Benny Neylon | 4 comments Lauryn wrote: "Considering content I would market it as an adult book. I guess I'd maybe market it as a thriller. Maybe look up some other adult books with child protagonists and see how they're labeled. This mak..."

To add to Lauryn's suggestion, another one to check out is The Butcher Boy. It's probably darker than your book, but features a child protagonist who imagines a lot. The Sixth Sense (drama/thriller) might also be a good reference point.