The Bookania Quests discussion

The Books > Writing Updates

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Ardnek | 102 comments Mod
So I have this topic over on the Rizkaland group and I decided to make one over here as well.

At the moment, I'm in the middle of writing book 3.5 The Quest for the Quince, a novelette about Casperl's search for his true history. It's awesome and Joan of Arc might be in it by the end.

I'm also editing Sew, It's a Quest at the moment because ... much as I love the story, it's a mess, so I need to clean it up. Afterall, if I'm going to ask people to follow a whole series of 20+ books, the series needs to begin on a good note. I'm currently playing "how many notes can I leave myself" on my kindle with it, and then I'll retype the whole thing into a new document. It's gonna be awesome.

message 2: by Brie (new)

Brie Donning (briedonning) | 12 comments Awesome!
Joan of Arc is fascinating.

message 3: by Kendra (new)

This is a completely ... different take on her.

message 4: by Kendra (new)

Almost halfway through typing up Sew's new edition! I think that I should be done by the end of the month at this rate.

Yay!

Snippet!

When Robin saw the horses, Snow among them, she knew that they had their thieves. To her further delight, the horses were unsupervised as the men were searching the trees. She seized her chance.
Quietly, she approached Snow. Once she’d calmed the agitated horse, she swung into the saddle with a warcry.
With the element of surprise on her side, the poor thieves didn’t stand a chance. As she rushed towards them, sword aloft, screaming at the top of her lungs, most of them immediately started running, not looking back. Three remained, however, drawing their own weapons.
A thrill of excitement ran through Robin as metal clashed against metal. ‘Twas glorious fun – until she realized that the men were actually trying to hurt her. Now that just wasn’t nice at all.
Snow reared as a knife came too close to her flank. Only Robin’s long hours of training with the horse kept her on her back. Snow’s hooves came down hard on the man, and there was a sickening crunch of bone.
“That’s what you get for stealing my horse!” she shouted down at the man. Then she faltered as she realized that he wasn’t moving. Was he…
Before that thought could go any further, a terrible wind whipped around her, and she had to hug Snow’s neck in order to stay on her back. When it finally died, the three men were gone.
“Robert!” she shouted, panicked.

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah O'Carroll (on break) (deborahocarroll) | 9 comments Kendra wrote: "Almost halfway through typing up Sew's new edition! I think that I should be done by the end of the month at this rate.

Yay!"

Congrats! You're on fire! :D Question: it'll be available on Amazon, yes, the new version? *asks because republished books on Amazon tend to have an unfortunate tendency to not allow me to get them again because it says I already own the previous version and ugh it's frustrating* XD

message 6: by Kendra (new)

It will be available on Amazon as a completely new edition and will be free directly following release. You should have no problems whatsoever.

Link for you to bookmark: http://amzn.to/2mithFO

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah O'Carroll (on break) (deborahocarroll) | 9 comments Kendra wrote: "It will be available on Amazon as a completely new edition and will be free directly following release. You should have no problems whatsoever.

Link for you to bookmark: http://amzn.to/2mithFO"

Thanks, Kendra!! You're epic! <3

message 9: by Kendra (new)

I'm writing book 3.5 for NaNo!

Have a snippet:

Casperl glanced down self-consciously. “Yeah, it’s me. I’ve finally come back home. It’s been … an eventful last few months. You are?”
“Ivan,” the young woodcutter answered.
Casperl frowned. “That would make you … one of Aunt Greta’s?”
“Yeah, I’m her youngest,” Ivan admitted.
Casperl nodded. “Last I saw you, you were…” he held his hand about chest height. “It was a long tome back.” Then, to the raised eyebrow that Eric gave him, he explained, “I’m not much a people person – you know that. After Father’s death…” He shrugged. “I never saw the point in going to the village.”
Eric glanced away with clear amusement.
“I don’t know how you could stand it,” said Ivan. “All those years … I’ve only been out here a few months and it has already all-but driven me mad. No one to talk to … see … your uncle comes by once a week to pick up the wood, but I rarely catch him. At this point, I’d be almost-glad to see one of the terrible creatures that are supposed to live in this forest – even the witch of mother’s stories.”
“I think you’d rather not be put into a soup pot,” said Casperl, shrugging. “I’m not a people person.” He noticed the mule and cart, just up the road and automatically went to it. “Let’s get this wood stacked and we can talk inside.”

message 10: by Kendra (new)

So I've done this over on my Rizkaland Group frequently enough, though that is the more popular series.

I'm giving away an alpha read of "The Quest for the Quince." The reader will be chosen at random, and will not be required to send back feedback. (That said, feedback does make me write faster, so...)

To get entries for this giveaway, all you have to do is post speculations on the spec thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/....

Each individual speculation you post will be worth a point.

Have a snippet to whet your appetite:

“I grew up in this house,” said Casperl. “What is there to find that I wouldn’t already know about?”
“Clearly, some past and destiny,” said Robin.
“It’d have to be something that would indicate how you’re a prince,” said Eric. “My guess would be a family crest or perhaps a signet ring. Something that would identify you.”
“Identify me?” Casperl repeated. “But I know who I am…”
“Identify the royal family you come from at any rate,” Eric amended, pulling a ring from his pocket. “Each family has a unique seal so that they can be recognized at a glance.”

message 11: by Kendra (new)

Aaaaand since nobody took advantage here, I gave the prize to Erudessa Aranduel, because she'd given me some awesome speculations in private.

Here's to the next time, I suppose.

message 12: by Erudessa (new)

Erudessa Aranduriel | 29 comments Kendra wrote: "Aaaaand since nobody took advantage here, I gave the prize to Erudessa Aranduel, because she'd given me some awesome speculations in private.

Here's to the next time, I suppose."

Awwwwwwwww!!! That's so sweet!!! Thanks Kendra!

message 13: by Kendra (new)

But, um, if you do want to post more speculations (just leave the spoilers you now know out, Dessa) over on the Spec thread ... well, speculations fuel my writing. As does fan art. If you want me to write more Bookania, you need to make sure that I'm excited about the series.

message 14: by Erudessa (new)

Erudessa Aranduriel | 29 comments Kendra wrote: "But, um, if you do want to post more speculations (just leave the spoilers you now know out, Dessa) over on the Spec thread ... well, speculations fuel my writing. As does fan art. If you want me t..."

All right! I can do that!! The best part is that most of my specs were true!

message 15: by Kendra (new)

So ... I just started writing Honor: A Quest In. Well, I had been working on it for a while, but I finally restarted writing it because I didn't like how it was going.

Pulled out a notebook, drew up a table of contents for me to follow, and plunged into writing.

I'm almost done with the first chapter, and I really like the way it's going this time. Poor Willy, though.

I'm giving out an alpha read of the book - to earn it, just post some specs over on the spec thread. I'll pull a random person from the hat, and someone will get to read the lovely story.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahtaleweaver) | 18 comments Glad Honor is going well so far.

I'm not going to enter the contest for the alpha read, because I already have plenty on my plate (plus I still need to catch up on Worth), but I may post a few specs anyway.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahtaleweaver) | 18 comments I love how I said "I'm not going to enter the contest for the alpha read" and then ended up alpha reading it anyway. No regrets, haha. Honor is awesome and is 100% my favorite of the Bookania Quests.

message 18: by Kendra (new)

Hah! Yep.