Christian Ladies Book Club discussion

The Prodigal > The Prodigal- Chapter 3 Discussion Question

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Britnie (new)

Britnie | 352 comments Mod
Jack and Tom make small talk when Jacks childhood church gets brought up. Tim tells him about how he Pastor died and they haven't been able to find a full time Pastor since. Do you think Jack might become the new Pastor at that church?

message 2: by Britnie (new)

I think this is definitely a possibility. He has been apart of this mega church for so long, having all these other campuses and everything, it seems like it would be good for him to be in a smaller more personal church. He talks about how he has no really close friends, a small town can definitely give you that.

message 3: by Darlene (new)

Darlene If he does, I think he needs a whole lot of growth first. It's not the first sin that bothers me so much. Don't misunderstand me, that was bad! It is more the pride issue of not being willing to admit to his sin, and stating that they can't take HIS church away from him. This is HIS church. That says a lot about the state of his faith and walk with God.
We all sin and I think we forget sometimes that sin is sin. As humans, we tend to rank them, but God states that the wages of sin is death. Not the wages of some sins is death. If Jack does not have a humble spirit to stand before God and his followers, and admit his wrongdoing, he should not be leading another congregation.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Esparza | 119 comments The thought did cross my mind when his dad said that they haven't been able to find a replacing Pastor. I completely agree with what was said, he isn't ready to lead a church yet (big or small) until he gets his heart right with God and grows. If/when the time does come for him to stand in front of a congregation again, I think it would be good to start small.
Reading 3 got me worried about Tom's health. He said that he wanted Jack to have his hat when he dies. Jack responds with, "But you're going to be around for a long time." To that Tom doesn't say anything but just starts to walk out the door and say that he'll be home in the evening. Right away I think that he's sick. I hope I'm wrong.......

message 5: by Britnie (new)

Yeah I totally agree that he shouldn't go out right now and become the Pastor of that small church. He needs to get right with God and do some healing first. Also, as to what Michelle said about Tom I agree. I was thinking the same thing when I read that part. I was like "Oh no it's The Scarlet Thread all over again!" Lol.

message 6: by Darlene (new)

Darlene My other book club laughs at me because it seems every book I recommend has someone dying at the end. I don't know what is going to happen - ok now I do because I'm further in the book although I'm not telling you anything! If he is ill, it would certainly fit with my tendency to gravitate towards these books.