Christian Ladies Book Club discussion

The Prodigal > The Prodigal- Chapter 2 Discussion Question

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Britnie (new)

Britnie | 352 comments Mod
Danny says, "I loved you like you were my father, Jack. I idolized you. Like you were my own father." Do you think many people idolized him, which is why this is such a big deal for so many people?

message 2: by Britnie (new)

Britnie | 352 comments Mod
I think yes there were a lot of people that idolized him. He was the "Pastor of the People". Danny even says himself that he idolized Jack. So therefore, I think it was a huge blow to those people that he made such a big mistake. Yeah regardless, if the person you look up to does something, it's going to disappoint you, but wen you idolize someone, and hold them on that pedestal God should be on it affects you more.

message 3: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I think it is a very human thing to idolize others who are successful and are seemingly "mastering" the way of life you crave. That can be applied to both secular and Christian. Movie and music stars are idolized by millions because of their fame and money. In the Christian "world," we are just as guilty. We idolize famous evangelists, our pastors, leaders in our church or the community that profess their love of Christ and from the outside are successful in their walk with the Lord.

The problem with this is that we are all sinners. No man is perfect, no not one. Paul says in Romans 7:15, "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." We are setting our eyes on the imperfect instead of the perfect. We will always be let down by man and if your faith in man is stronger than you faith in God, you don't have the maturity or strength to withstand the betrayal or letdownedness (I know that's not a word, but I couldn't come up with a better one!)

Psalms 118:8 tells us, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man." God will never let us down. He is always faithful. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

What was the question again? Oh yea, yes I think it was a big deal for so many because they idolozed Jack instead of seeing him as an imperfect man.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Esparza | 119 comments I loved what you wrote Auntie Darlene. Especially when you were trying to remember the original question. I have loved all the responses actually! All have great points and perspectives!

I feel bad for Danny. We all want to say that we look up to our parents and say we want to be just like them. In Danny's eyes, that was Jack. And then in the matter of moments his whole world got flipped upside down. Idolize is a strong word because we are told in the Bible not to idolize anyone except for God, however, it is so normal and an every day emotion to look up to someone and strive to be like them. Jack appeared to be nearly perfect, knew just what to say and had all the answers. People adored him for that and hung on not only his every word but even his mere presence. To hear and see that the person you look up to the most, who you thought was perfect, did such a horrible act.....can shake you to your very core and make you wonder if you're capable of the same thing.

message 5: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I can tend to ramble, and then have to think back "what was the point of what I'm saying?!"