The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2017 > Team Becky Bloomwood

Comments Showing 1-50 of 671 (671 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 28, 2017 12:07AM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments
Team Becky Bloomwood

Team Members:
♦ Elise (Captain)
♦ Khadeejah (Co-captain)
♦ Ashley
♦ Ella
♦ Maddie
♦ Nicole
♦ Sofie
♦ Sreshtha Basu
♦ Erika

Carolyn

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:38PM) (new)

“You know, lieutenant, you wear your weapon the way other women wear pearls."
"It's not a fashion accessory.”

― J.D. Robb, Naked in Death

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Apr 13, 2017 06:05PM) (new)

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Elise (last edited Feb 14, 2017 11:50PM) (new)

message 5: by Elise (last edited Jan 23, 2017 02:06AM) (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) | 33 comments Important Information
* check here first *

Make sure you have read the READ ME FIRST POST here so you are up-to-date with how to play!

~ Only books STARTED after the challenge begins on the 1st of February count towards the challenge. The countdown is here

~ books must be >100 pages (think dalmatians - 101 is good!)

~ books shelved/classed as children's books or graphic novels need to be checked on arbookfind.com and confirmed as >25,000 words - if you are unsure, please check before reading, and ask the captain team to confirm your book is eligible for the challenge

~ please request or accept friend requests from your captain team

~ please make a UNO 2017 goodreads shelf and link to it in this thread

~ Your finished books need to be on your Uno shelf AND marked as "read" for them to count.

~ Letters used in UNO are Z ,O ,T, H, F, I, V, E, S, N, K, P

~ Please read through the criteria for how your books can fit the cards here (view spoiler)

~ this is a social challenge - the aim is to meet new people, challenge your reading, share your favourite books, and have fun!

How Team Becky Bloomwood Will Play

We won't be "claiming cards" - please read what you like!

There will be a tracking spreadsheet (coming soon!) and you can request edit access - you can enter your currently reading/completed books into the spreadsheet, and you will be able to list all the cards your book fits into. If you prefer, you can post a completion post into this thread and a captain will enter your book and the cards it fits for you.
(Don't worry if the above doesnt make sense yet, it will be clear when I set up the sheet!)

The captains will manage the official spreadsheet - it becomes a giant jigsaw puzzle as we shuffle books around to fit in the last few days of the month!

In the last week or two of the month, we will ask for volunteers to read books that fit certain cards if we need something covered, but usually we can cover everything :)

message 6: by Elise (last edited Feb 13, 2017 02:09AM) (new)

message 7: by Elise (last edited Jan 24, 2017 12:32AM) (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) | 33 comments Tracking Spreadsheet

Please enter your completed reads here on our Tracking Spreadsheet.

Enter new rows as you need!
There is a "key" up in the top left corner to help out.

Please let me know if you have any issues accessing the sheet.

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 449 comments Hi All!

I'm Ashley, 27 and live in South Australia.

This will be my third UNO challenge. I was in Fraggle Rock (never heard of it) and then Dr Who (never seen it). I've actually heard of Becky Bloomwood and I've read the book and watched the movie :o

My favourite reading genres are YA, contemporary, fantasy, thriller and horror. SciFi gets a bit too complex for me sometimes so I don't read it as much!

My favourite book from last year was The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. So far for 2017 it is It Ends with Us.

I'm currently reading Heartless by Marissa Meyer and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen .

Look forward to meeting you all!

Here is my UNO shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 9: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 297 comments Hey :D Can't wait to do this challenge :D I'll need to save the links to the other uno threads too so I know what stands for what.

I haven't made my shelf yet. I'll make it when I start.

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 48 comments Heya! Don't suppose someone could tell me who this Becky Brookwood is?

message 11: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 297 comments Becky bloomwood xD and I have no clue at all. Google haha

message 12: by Elise (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) | 33 comments Hi everyone!

I'm Elise, your captain for this challenge - I'm 32 (I just had to think about that for waaayyy too long - oops!) from Sydney, Australia.

Uno is an awesome challenge - lots of fun, but also with a lot of freedom to read what you like (and pick up lots of book recommendations!).

Have a read through the above posts, and let me know if you have any questions (or if I haven't made sense!).

I'll put up the tracking spreadsheet over the next day or two while we are waiting for the rest of the team to check-in.

Ashley - you bring a wealth of Uno experience! I hope you enjoy this year's challenge as much as last years (I'm looking forward to those mini-challenges!).

Maddie - good to see you aren't burnt out after last year's massive WOBBLE effort ;)

message 13: by Elise (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) | 33 comments Becky is the main character in Sophie Kinsella's "Shopaholic" series. There's quite a few - the first one is Confessions of a Shopaholic, adapted into the movie with Isla Fisher as Becky. Light-hearted, easy to read "chick lit" :)

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 449 comments Ooooh what WOBBLE teams were you on??

message 15: by Kadi (new)

Kadi P (kadi_p) | 557 comments Hey everyone! This is exciting and new!
I'm a lover of most types of fiction books. I can get through pretty much anything but I mainly enjoy mystery, thriller, sci-fi, fantasy and YA(sometimes).
Hoping to read some real awesome books and have some fun with u guys!

message 16: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 297 comments Ashley, we were both on Slender Loris :p

And yeah Elise, I agree! I'm surprised I'm still doing challenges too haha, although I did back down with Slender Loris over the last challenge or two. Didn't catch me as much.

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 449 comments Ahh that was a cute animal!

Is anyone doing other challenges at the moment?

message 18: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 297 comments Heaps haha. I can't remember them all.

message 19: by Kadi (new)

Kadi P (kadi_p) | 557 comments What other challenges are there? Kinda stuck in limbo waiting for this one to start but don't want too many challenges at once

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 449 comments Just over a week now!

I'm not sure what's out there at the moment. I was a bit challenged out after WOBBLE so this will be my first since!

message 21: by just kat (last edited Jan 24, 2017 05:21AM) (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments description

Ooops, Ashley's here.

message 22: by Ella (new)

Ella | 250 comments Hey guys! I'm Ella. Just checking in :) This is my second year on UNO. Last year i was on team GLEE- we won! hehe I was also on Wobble- team red panda but we didnt do too well there. They were both fun filled challenges so here I am for seconds. :P
My uno shelf is HERE

message 23: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 297 comments Why the Dylan gif, Kathleen?

Hey Ella. This is also my second uno.

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 449 comments Just keeping an eye on me since I've been lurking in their thread haha

message 25: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 297 comments Haha you sneaky ;)

message 26: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments Hannah has withdrawn from the challenge.

Please welcome new team member Sreshtha Basu!

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 449 comments Hi Sreshtha!! Welcome :) Where are you from?

message 28: by Elise (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) | 33 comments Welcome to everyone who has checked in so far!

We are getting close to starting - woo!

If you haven't created a UNO shelf yet, please do so.

If you know what books you are ready to start when the challenge opens, please go ahead and enter them into the tracking spreadsheet

I would also suggest using the "compare books" function to see who in the team reads similar books to you, and then maybe having a look through their "read" shelf to find some books to cover the "reverse" cards (a book that has been previously read by a teammate).

I'm off to do that now... :)

message 29: by Elise (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) | 33 comments Ashley - I have the most books in common and most similar taste with you so far!

I went through the ones I haven't read and picked a few that you rated high...anything I MUST read out of the below?

The Kind Worth Killing
Lady Midnight
Carrie
The Help

Once everyone has checked in, I'm also going to see who the teammate is whom I have the LEAST in common with, and read something they have read to "expand my horizons" ;)

message 30: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 449 comments Definitely Carrie and The Help! I know I enjoyed the other two but I've forgotten the plots haha. Carrie and The Help have just really stuck with me. In hindsight they might deserve 5 star ratings!!

I'm off to check out your list :)

message 31: by Sreshtha (new)

Sreshtha Basu | 78 comments @Ashley - I'm from India. :)

And possibly, the only 20 year old here. This is my first UNO Challenge. So, I might bug you guys with a lot of questions.
P.S. - What's Wobble?

message 32: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 449 comments Oooh nice! I'm not sure of everyone's age so you might have a buddy!

WOBBLE was a massive past challenge that was done over on NBRC - we're finding that lots of us here are also in that group :)

message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 449 comments I've looked through my books in common with Elise...which should I read in Feb?

Contest
The Shadow of the Wind
Landline
Ready Player One

message 34: by Sreshtha (new)

Sreshtha Basu | 78 comments Oh! That's actually pretty cool!
What's NBRC?

message 35: by Sreshtha (new)

Sreshtha Basu | 78 comments Oh.. and I almost forgot.. here's my UNO shelf : perks-uno

message 36: by Elise (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) | 33 comments Ashley wrote: "I've looked through my books in common with Elise...which should I read in Feb?

Contest
The Shadow of the Wind
Landline
Ready Player One"

I think I will read Carrie - I've been meaning to read it forever!

You need to read Ready Player One. After I read it, I recommended it to so many people. Spielberg is making the movie, out next year.

Sreshtha - NBRC is another GR group - its initials stand for "Nothing But Reading Challenges". If you find yourself feeling a little sad after Uno finishes, you're sure to find a new challenge over there :)

message 37: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 297 comments Ashley wrote: "I've looked through my books in common with Elise...which should I read in Feb?

Contest
The Shadow of the Wind
Landline
Ready Player One"

Ready Player One! :D It's a current read of mine and it's incredible!

@Elise: Pleased I'm finally reading RP1? XD All that Wobble talk got me into it.

message 38: by Kadi (new)

Kadi P (kadi_p) | 557 comments Hey Srestha welcome to the team! Exciting stuff soon to come!

message 39: by Sreshtha (new)

Sreshtha Basu | 78 comments Kadi wrote: "Hey Srestha welcome to the team! Exciting stuff soon to come!"

Thanks!!! :D I'm really excited!!!

message 40: by Sreshtha (new)

Sreshtha Basu | 78 comments Elise wrote: "Ashley wrote: "I've looked through my books in common with Elise...which should I read in Feb?

Contest
The Shadow of the Wind
Landline
[book:Ready Player ..."

Thanks for clearing that out. I'll check it out! :D

message 41: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 449 comments Thanks! Looks like I'll be kicking off UNO with Ready Player One then :D

message 42: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 297 comments Hooray :D

message 43: by Kadi (new)

Kadi P (kadi_p) | 557 comments Can February just be here already? The waiting is killing me! Anyone else feel the same?

message 44: by Ella (new)

Ella | 250 comments Ive been keeping a bunch of short 100+ pages books on hold fr quick reading during the challenge

message 45: by Kadi (new)

Kadi P (kadi_p) | 557 comments Clever! I never usually read short stories but I guess I'll have to read some for the challenge then

message 46: by Elise (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) | 33 comments Lol Maddie - RPO got so much buzz in our Wobble group - there was definitely a good reason for it :)

I'm ready to start this challenge as well! I'm working on finishing everything I'm halfway through before the 1st of Feb.

message 47: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments Please welcome new team member Erika!

message 48: by Elise (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) | 33 comments Welcome Erika :)

message 49: by Erika (last edited Jan 27, 2017 08:30PM) (new)

Erika | 33 comments Thanks! This is my first challenge and I'm looking forward to it! :)

Here's my shelf: Uno 2017

message 50: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 297 comments I've got my shelf up too, it's just called UNO I think XD

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14