The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,066 (1066 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 21 22

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 22, 2017 09:29PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments
Team Eve Dallas

Team Members:
♦ Laura (Captain)
♦ Rachel (Co-captain)
♦ Cassie
♦ Jonnie Deitz
♦ Karla
♦ Mary Montez
♦ Nanci Drum
♦ Su Ah Lee (GR: Jessamine Roth)

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:40PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments
“You gave too much rein to your imagination. Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. The simplest explanation is always the most likely.”
― Agatha Christie, The Mysterious Affair at Styles

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments r

message 5: by Laura (last edited Jan 23, 2017 04:53PM) (new)

message 6: by Laura (last edited Mar 12, 2017 04:02PM) (new)

Laura | 1816 comments February:

Valentine's Mini-challenge (view spoiler)

message 7: by Laura (last edited Mar 30, 2017 03:10PM) (new)

Laura | 1816 comments Color Cards: (view spoiler)

March Mini Challenge(view spoiler)

message 8: by Laura (last edited Apr 25, 2017 07:40PM) (new)

Laura | 1816 comments April Color Cards:(view spoiler)

April Mini-Challenge

The Easter bunny has been busy here around the Perks and has hidden a number of eggs within the team threads. (one per team thread)
Some of the eggs have tasks for you to read to gain extra points. Some require you to fill in the missing word/s or solve the riddles she left you and PM the answer to Pixie. For these ones, your captain/co-captain will send a PM with you answer to me (Pixie).

To speed up the process a bit, please try to send a few answers in each PM. Please allow for time differences and RL when replies are not instant

To give you a head start, we will give you one of the hidden eggs here so you know the kind of thing you are looking for (a post by Pixie with an Easter related picture and the details will be under the spoiler tag)

This is an optional mini challenge for our UNO players.

There are lots of points on offer! 10 points for each task completed! (unless otherwise specified) Plus an extra 5 bonus points for each completed egg (i.e. you complete all the tasks given for that team egg)

❀ Only books read April 15-30 will count for this challenge. (Start of mini challenge is April 15, 7pm Sydney, Australia time)
❀ Please note that books started before April-15 don't count for this mini-challenge
❀ The countdown to the start of this mini challenge is here
❀ The usual book length requirement for UNO apply
❀ Books used for this mini challenge do not need to be separate books for what you are claiming for your UNO hands

message 9: by Laura (last edited Jan 23, 2017 03:36PM) (new)

Laura | 1816 comments Hi Team! I'm so excited to meet you all and to get to read with you!

My name is Laura. I live in California with 1 hubby, 6 daughters, 6 cats, and 15 chickens. I love to read. I read a little mystery, a little romance, a little YA, and a lot of Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

Also, my daughter will be our co-captain!

message 10: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 377 comments Hello everyone! This was one of the few teams that had a character I wasn't familiar with...guess maybe that means I should finally get around to trying the series, lol!

Looking forward to playing with you all :D

message 11: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 377 comments Oh and I live in Orlando and have two kids that I homeschool, so I pretty much sneak on Goodreads at all hours ;).

This will be the second time I'm teamed with Rachel and the bajillionth time with Laura *waves wildly*

This is going to be great!

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Wilderman | 146 comments Hello Team! You already know much about me from my mom's post. I love to read historical romance and mythology of all types.
I can't wait to start!

That is cool Cassie, I am homeschooled as well. :D

message 13: by Nichole (new)

message 14: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 377 comments Rachel wrote: "Hello Team! You already know much about me from my mom's post. I love to read historical romance and mythology of all types.
I can't wait to start!

That is cool Cassie, I am homeschooled as well. :D"

Your mom and I may have bonded over that fact ;). I hope my daughter like to play reading challenges when she gets older!

message 15: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 377 comments Nichole wrote: "

"

Hi Nichole!!

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Wilderman | 146 comments Hello Nichole!

message 17: by Karla (new)

Karla Hi everyone! I live in Washington state and work as a substitute teacher. I will read just about anything. The only thing I won't read is erotica.

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Wilderman | 146 comments Hi Karla!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura *Peeking in*, hi everyone.
I 'm so jealous! This would have been my #1 choice of team name! Eve Dallas is such a kick a$$ heroine!

*waves hi * to Nanci.

Have fun team Eve Dallas. Good luck.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1816 comments Laura wrote: "*Peeking in*, hi everyone.
I 'm so jealous! This would have been my #1 choice of team name! Eve Dallas is such a kick a$$ heroine!

*waves hi * to Nanci.

Have fun team Eve Dallas. Good luck."

This is one of the few I've never read. :) But being a big Castle fan, I do love the picture they put up there!

message 21: by Laura (last edited Jan 23, 2017 03:40PM) (new)

Laura | 1816 comments Nichole wrote: "

"

I have a sudden urge to play Whack-a-Mole!

message 22: by Laura (last edited Jan 23, 2017 03:43PM) (new)

Laura Laura wrote: "Laura wrote: "*Peeking in*, hi everyone.

*waves hi * to Nanci.

Have fun team Eve Dallas. ..."

I haven't watched Castle, (though I heard its good) but I read the first few books and this series is so much better!

The picture is not how I picture Eve Dallas:-) --- to each their own!

message 23: by Karla (new)

Karla I've never read the books either. I keep planning to, but haven't gotten to it yet. I was actually hoping for Elizabeth Bennet because Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book.

message 24: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 377 comments Maybe we should buddy read at least the #1 in honor of our team name. I'll admit, the length of that series has scared me off a bit, though!

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1816 comments I do need everyone to post your shelf for this challenge. I'll get them linked in my top post here.

message 26: by Karla (new)

Karla CassieV wrote: "Maybe we should buddy read at least the #1 in honor of our team name. I'll admit, the length of that series has scared me off a bit, though!"

That would be fun.

message 27: by Karla (new)

message 29: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 377 comments Awesome, Karla! Maybe tentatively look toward after the 14th of February? I'm not sure what our hand will look like, but Laura assured me that most books can be squeezed in somewhere ;)

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1816 comments It looks like half of us are here. I'll send PMs to the others so they know what team they're on.

Strategy question: I need to know how you prefer to read. Do you make a list for the month and then stick to it (or at least mostly)? Or do you just pick up whatever you're in the mood for when you finish the previous book?

If we're all (or mostly all) planners then we can just say what we plan to read and put them into the spreadsheet tentatively. But if we're moody readers there is another planning spreadsheet available. I've never used it, but that would make sure that we all get our books counted.

message 32: by Karla (new)

Karla CassieV wrote: "Awesome, Karla! Maybe tentatively look toward after the 14th of February? I'm not sure what our hand will look like, but Laura assured me that most books can be squeezed in somewhere ;)"

That works for me. I own the book and have it on my shelf of books I want to read this year, so I can start any time you're ready.

message 33: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 377 comments Sounds good, Karla! I'll let you know when we get a teeny bit closer.

Laura- mark me down for planner. I can get moody, but don't have a problem planning when it's team games :).

message 34: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1816 comments Eldarwen wrote: ""

Hello, Eldarwen! :)

message 36: by Jonnie (new)

Jonnie Deitz | 145 comments Hi all, this is my first team anything for reading. I am from Oklahoma and I am married with two kids. My husband works full time and I recently started a part time job opposite his schedule. One of my kids is 2 so I am mostly with her. I like to read a bit of everything. But my favorites are Stephen King, Anne Rice, James Patterson, and Rick Riordan. I am a read what I want whenever type of reader. But if the majority of people want to schedule it out I can work with that.

message 37: by Jonnie (new)

Jonnie Deitz | 145 comments Oh and since I am not tech savvy. How do I post my shelf here?

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1816 comments Jonnie wrote: "Oh and since I am not tech savvy. How do I post my shelf here?"

You click on your shelf, and then copy the URL in the top bar. Then just paste it here. But I can also grab it for you. It's the UNO 2014 one, right?

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1816 comments Jonnie wrote: "Hi all, this is my first team anything for reading. I am from Oklahoma and I am married with two kids. My husband works full time and I recently started a part time job opposite his schedule. One o..."

2 is such a fun/scary time! I love that age. I love watching them learn to do things for themselves, even when it is frustrating. :)

message 40: by Jonnie (new)

Jonnie Deitz | 145 comments Laura wrote: "Jonnie wrote: "Hi all, this is my first team anything for reading. I am from Oklahoma and I am married with two kids. My husband works full time and I recently started a part time job opposite his ..."

Yeah my daughter has a lot more attitude at this point then my son did. He is now 9.

message 41: by Jonnie (new)

Jonnie Deitz | 145 comments Laura wrote: "Jonnie wrote: "Oh and since I am not tech savvy. How do I post my shelf here?"

You click on your shelf, and then copy the URL in the top bar. Then just paste it here. But I can also grab it for yo..."

Thanks. I got it. I usually am on my tablet and it doesn't show all the url's or even give me half the options my desktop does with this site.

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Wilderman | 146 comments Welcome to the team Jonnie!

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura Laura,
hi I knew Nanci Drum was still interested in playing and found out she is away on vacation and will be back on Thursday. Please don't discount her. She only has access to the app so may not check in until she comes home
She asked if I would let her team know she wants to play but is away for a few days!

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1816 comments Thanks, Laura!

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1816 comments I'm playing around with using this spreadsheet for planning:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

You guys can either put in your books yourself or I can put them in. Just make sure you tell us/me everything it works for. After about 2 weeks I'll start plugging in books to the official spreadsheet and see what we still need.

Here's a breakdown of what we'll need for February:
0 - 3 (letter Z, standalone)
1 - 6 (letter O, 1st in series)
2 - 6 (letter T, 2nd in series)
3 - 7 (letter H, 3rd in series)
4 - 7 (letter F, 4th in series)
5 - 6 (letter I, 5th in series)
6 - 6 (letter S, 6th in series)
7 - 7 (letter V, 7th in series)
8 - 8 (letter E, 8th in series)
9 - 7 (letter N, 9th in series)
Skip - 7 (letters K, P)
Draw 2 - 6 (2 cards; 1 book)
Reverse - 8 (book that someone else on the team has read)
Wild - 4 (any book that fits 0 - 9)
Wild Draw Four - 4 (any book)

message 47: by Jessamine (new)

Jessamine Lee (jessaminelee) | 254 comments Hi, my name is Su Ah. I live in Minnesota. I am a student currently living in the dorms. I pretty much read anything fiction. I am both a planner and a moody reader. Nice meeting you guys! :)

This is my shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Wilderman | 146 comments Welcome to the team Su Ah! :D

message 49: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 377 comments Laura wrote: "I'm playing around with using this spreadsheet for planning:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

You guys can either put in your..."

Your spreadsheet is locked, but I requested access. I'll try to take a look at what I have upcoming. I know Karla and I are shooting for Naked in Death so that would fit 1, 8, 9, or Reverse (once we both read it), oh and Wild.

message 50: by Jessamine (new)

Jessamine Lee (jessaminelee) | 254 comments Rachel wrote: "Welcome to the team Su Ah! :D"

Thank you! :D

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 21 22