The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2017 > Team Hercule Poirot

Comments Showing 1-50 of 694 (694 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 22, 2017 09:25PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1351 comments
Team Hercule Poirot

Team Members:
♦ Ashleigh (Captain)
♦ Christina (Co-captain)
♦ Daniela Zekotic (Co-captain)
♦ Chelsea Barnthouse
♦ Kirsten
♦ Pepper
♦ Pigletto
♦ Snowtulip

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:39PM) (new)

“George leaned to the right so that he could see her from behind his brother. “Shall I strangle him or will you?” She rewarded him with a devious smile. “Oh, it must be a joint endeavor, don’t you think?” “So that you may share the blame?” Andrew quipped. “So that we may share the joy,” Billie corrected. “You wound me.” “Happily, I assure you.”
― Julia Quinn, Because of Miss Bridgerton

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Apr 13, 2017 06:13PM) (new)

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Ashleigh (last edited Feb 01, 2017 09:54AM) (new)

Ashleigh | 755 comments Team Shelves

Ashleigh
Daniela
Christina
Pepperpots
Kirsten
Chelsea
Snowtulip
Pigletto

message 5: by Ashleigh (last edited Feb 01, 2017 09:54AM) (new)

Ashleigh | 755 comments Important

*Only books STARTED after the challenge begins can count. The challenge starts on Wednesday February 1, 2016 at 7pm AEDST (Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time). To see when this is in your time zone, use this countdown

*Books must be more than 100 pages in length. If it is a Childrens book or a graphic novel, we need to verify it is more than 25,000 words on arbookfind.com.

*Your finished books need to be on your Uno shelf AND marked as "read" for them to count.

* Please make notes of how your book may count. The more options we have the better! (Letters used in UNO are Z,O,T,H,F,I,V,E,S,N,K,P and of course if another team member has read the book before. Please friend our team members!)

* This is a social challenge, not a competitive one. We'd love to get points, but the main aim of the game is to have fun, read lots and get to know each other :)

Book Posting Layout
Book:
Author:
Date Completed:
All cards it works for:

message 6: by Ashleigh (last edited Jan 24, 2017 12:36AM) (new)

Ashleigh | 755 comments February Cards

0 : 4
1 : 7
2 : 7
3 : 6
4 : 6
5 : 7
6 : 7
7 : 8
8 : 6
9 : 6

Skip : 8
Draw 2 : 6
Reverse : 7
Wild : 4
Wild Draw 4 : 2

message 7: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 755 comments Reserved

message 8: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 755 comments R

message 9: by Ashleigh (last edited Jan 22, 2017 02:29AM) (new)

Ashleigh | 755 comments Hello everyone! My name is Ashleigh, and I'll be your team captain for this year's UNO Challenge. Last year was the first time I took part in an UNO challenge, and I loved it so much. So much so that I've been counting down the months and re-checking the Perks page to see if they were bringing it back this year haha!

A little bit about me and my reading habits: I will read just about anything! My favourites are true crime, thrillers, mysteries (so you could say it's quite apt that I'm captain of Team Hercule Poirot), but I also enjoy YA and contemporary fiction.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone on the team, and I hope you all enjoy UNO as much as I do!

message 10: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 755 comments R

message 11: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 810 comments R

message 12: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 810 comments Hey :) My name is Daniela and I'm one of your Co-Captains for this challenge. I took part in the 2016 UNO challenge and enjoyed it so much. Can't wait for it to start again in just a bit over a week :D

My shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list... . I'm no good with links and have no idea how you manage to put that link in a word. Ashleigh if you would be so nice and just name it Daniela once you add it to the team shelves, that'd be nice :)

message 13: by Christina (last edited Mar 01, 2017 02:48PM) (new)

message 14: by Christina (last edited Jan 23, 2017 07:00AM) (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 903 comments Hey guys, I'm Christina and I live in Austria. I'm the second one of your co-captains :) last year I took part in the UNO challenge for the first time, and it was so much fun and really motivates you to read more!

My UNO bookshelf is called uno-challenge-2017 but I'm on my iPad at the moment so can't link, sorry!

message 15: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 755 comments Added both shelves Daniela and Christina. I've also sent friend requests to the other members of our team, and hopefully they'll be along soon.

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 903 comments Hey Ashleigh, I just went through your Read shelf, and I love that you read all the Pretty Little Liars books! I've heard they're quite different from the tv show, so I want to finish the show first and read the books at some later time, hopefully. Are you watching the tv show as well? :)

Also, I've seen you read Cheryl: My Story (I've been OBSESSED with her a couple of years ago!), and the Returned 'series' which isn't getting such great reviews and puts me off a bit tbh :( have you watched the tv show?

message 17: by Pepperpots (new)

Pepperpots Hi Ashleigh,

Here is the link to my shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

I look forward to UNO every year :) I would like to start a trilogy this year...hopefully, I will make a start during UNO!

message 18: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 755 comments Hi Pepperpots! Added your shelf.

Christina, I've seen the first season of Pretty Little Liars and a couple of the second season. But I made the mistake of comparing it to the books. If you're gonna read the books, try and go into them as being separate from the tv show, because they are quite different. I enjoyed both them if I thought of them as separates. If you love YA fiction that doesn't take itself too seriously then the books are great, although they do get a little bit ridiculous (please God, no more books in this series!).

I haven't seen the Returned series, its been on my Netflix to-watch list for quite a while now. I really liked the first main book, but the prequels were a little silly.

message 19: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments Hellooooo all! Or should I say Bonjour (to be Poirot inspired)?

I'm more of a Miss Marple fan, but none-the-less excited to be on a team of a character I've heard of!

My name is Kirsten, I live in Atlantic Canada, this is my first ever Uno (though I have played the physical card game since childhood), and this is my second team challenge ever (played Wobble 2016).

Oh & here's my shelf (pretty empty so far, hah): uno2017

message 20: by Pepperpots (new)

Pepperpots I've only read Miss Marple but happy to be in Poirot :D

message 21: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 605 comments Kirsten wrote: "Hellooooo all! Or should I say Bonjour (to be Poirot inspired)?

I'm more of a Miss Marple fan, but none-the-less excited to be on a team of a character I've heard of!

My name is Kirsten, I live i..."

Be warned: Kirsten is the gnarliest punster of them all!

She had me so well-trained, I still write "Sea you later" sometimes ;)

message 22: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments Teddie wrote: "Be warned: Kirsten is the gnarliest punster of them all! She had me so well-trained, I still write "Sea you later" sometimes ;)"

Teehee, only took all of Wobble is get you trained that way though, Teddie. ;) But but but Sea puns are so much easier than Poirot puns. :(

message 23: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 903 comments omg I already know I'm gonna love this Kirsten ;)

btw I've been wanting to ask what the Wobble challenge is/was?

message 24: by Chelsea (last edited Jan 23, 2017 05:29PM) (new)

Chelsea Barnthouse Hello everyone! I'm so excited to start the UNO challenge! This is my first time doing it!

Here's my bookshelf for the uno challenge! I'm not good with links either, sorry XD https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 25: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments Christina wrote: "omg I already know I'm gonna love this Kirsten ;)

btw I've been wanting to ask what the Wobble challenge is/was?"

Wobble was a monster of a challenge. Something like 20 weeks long, hosted by the folks over at Nothing But Reading Challenges. You are teamed up with the same people for all 20 weeks but it is broken up until 6 different types of reading challenges (W-O-B-B-L-E). Bingo & Battleship (both similar to the "board" games of the same name), Olympics where the reading challenges we connected to different sports, Wobble where your team spun a wheel and had to spell-out the word we landed on from the wheel with books we read, Labours of Bookules (like Hercules) where you went on a quests to win the favour of the gods/goddesses, and lastly "Emerge the Victor" where you battle monsters, level up your weaponry, which was all based on what cards your team had in its "hand". AKA long & hard to explain. hah

message 26: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 903 comments Holy shit that sounds MASSIVE! And I saw so many people mention it in the UNO Pre Chat! I honestly don't know if I could have done this... 20 weeks, woah!!! I will definitely check out the group though, thanks for trying to explain hah!

I just started reading The Bad Beginning, the first book of the 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' series, to get into the mood and started on this series since it's too short for the challenge, but if I enjoy the book I can read the following books for UNO at the end of the months bc they will be super quick reads and easy to squeeze in :)

@chelsea thanks for the link, Ashleigh will put it into our Team Shelves post tomorrow or so. Tell us a little more about yourself? :)

message 27: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments

message 28: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Barnthouse As far as reading goes, I read just about anything! If a thief is the main character though, just give me the book, haha!

As far as rl goes, I'm a substitute teacher! If I reply a little late, I'm probably still there^^'

message 29: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 584 comments Hi team!! This is my 3rd time with Uno :) Like many of you, I'm addicted to challenges...although I had to take a break after WOBBLE ;)

I admit, I've only read one Agatha Christie book...for a challenge!

Love romance, fantasy, and scifi the most...but dabble in everything else except horror.

I'll link my shelf tomorrow night when I'm on computer, instead of phone :)

message 30: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 755 comments Hi Kirsten, Chelsea and Snowtulip!

I've only read one Agatha Christie book, and that was Wobble funnily enough. I loved loved loved Wobble. It was just so crazy and I liked how every so many weeks, they changed it up and you didn't do the same challenge for like more than 4 weeks.

message 31: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 2956 comments Pepperpots wrote: "I've only read Miss Marple but happy to be in Poirot :D"

Oh I love Poirot! Especially the audiobooks that David Suchet narrates :)

message 32: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 2956 comments Ashleigh wrote: "Hi Kirsten, Chelsea and Snowtulip!

I've only read one Agatha Christie book, and that was Wobble funnily enough. I loved loved loved Wobble. It was just so crazy and I liked how every so many weeks..."

It is nice to know you loved it. Tbh, I think it broke us mods! It was just so massive. We won't be doing something quite that long and complicated again ;)

message 33: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Ashleigh wrote: "Hi Kirsten, Chelsea and Snowtulip!

I've only read one Agatha Christie book, and that was Wobble funnily enough. I loved loved loved Wobble. It was just so crazy and I liked how ev..."

I hope that maybe some of the individual events might come back by themselves?! ;) (I was particularly partial to Battleship. heh)

I am excited for UNO to start but the start time is pretty daunting (4am on a workday for me). Because I'm bad at math & geography, what times are you all starting at? (& are you likely to actually start right at the starting time?)

message 34: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 903 comments Hi Snowtulip! *waves* I don't really like the horror genre either, neither in books nor movies. I'm a little kid when it comes to horror

message 35: by Pepperpots (new)

Pepperpots Kirsten wrote: "Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Ashleigh wrote: "Hi Kirsten, Chelsea and Snowtulip!

I've only read one Agatha Christie book, and that was Wobble funnily enough. I loved loved loved Wobble. It was just so crazy a..."

8am start for me as I am from the UK :)

message 36: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments Pepperpots wrote: "8am start for me as I am from the UK :)"

That sounds a bit more manageable. Unless you aren't a morning person. ;)

message 37: by Kirsten (last edited Jan 24, 2017 08:05AM) (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments Anyone already have their first book of UNO 2017 picked out?

Presuming I finish Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer this week, I was hoping to start UNO with the 2nd book in their series The Dead and the Gone (Last Survivors, #2) by Susan Beth Pfeffer . However with our first card it'll only work for 6 (S- author's first name), but in general will also work for 9 (N - setting location), 2 (2nd in series), and skip (P - author's surname) as well. Also I am waiting for my library to get the book in (available - just being transferred from one town's library to the next town over). So now wondering if I go for it (presuming I get it in time), or pick something else that can be applied to more cards in our first hand... So far I don't know which cards will be trickier for us to complete & which will be easier...

message 38: by Pepperpots (new)

Pepperpots I am not great in the mornings...also, I have work :(

I have my next 2 books lined up but not sure what cards they will work for. It's always good to get tricky cards done early.

message 39: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 810 comments for me and Christina it will be 9am :) no idea which books I want to read yet as I'll be traveling in February. Will need to check out some ebooks.

message 40: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 810 comments Oh I ment to say. I will be on holiday from 7th on. So will read ebooks I can get for free, hopefully there will be a few good ones.

I can manage to read at least one book I have at home before that though, which are the harder cards?

message 41: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 620 comments I've got my eyes on you, ST!

i'm watching you photo: tumblr_lwjanguXgy1qd9u6s.gif

message 42: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments Nichole wrote: "I've got my eyes on you, ST!"

*swoons over David Tennant* :P

message 43: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments I mustache you a question while eyebrows the other teams threads, go ahead and mullet over...

I hear there is a planning spreadsheet outline or something available on the captains only group. Is this something we want to use with our team to keep us organized?

message 44: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 755 comments I believe there is Kirsten. I wont be able to get to it until tomorrow morning as I'm on my phone at the moment, but I'll have a look at it first thing tomorrow and we can see if its useful for us or not.

message 45: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments Ashleigh wrote: "I believe there is Kirsten. I wont be able to get to it until tomorrow morning as I'm on my phone at the moment, but I'll have a look at it first thing tomorrow and we can see if its useful for us ..."

Sounds good. However be warned I am a spreadsheet addict. hah

message 46: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Barnthouse I haven't read an Agatha Christie book yet. I really should, especially now I'm in this group. No idea what my first book will be yet.

message 47: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 903 comments wow my latest comment was actually much longer than just that bit about the horror genre.... don't :) you :) just :) love :) the :) goodreads :) app :) :) :) :)

anyway just like Daniela already said, the challenge starts at 9am here - but I will most likely be asleep because I'm more of a night owl hah!

and to be honest I haven't read an Agatha Christie yet either, so you're not alone Chelsea ;)

I've also added the tracking spreadsheet into our spreadsheet, but I'm not sure if we'll actually need the 'Card' and 'How it fits' columns? because if we switch things around we would have to keep updating that as well :P if I remember right, last year's list didn't have those columns either.

message 48: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 903 comments I will probably start with Lauren Graham's Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between and read The Reptile Room on the side, since I've got a physical copy of Talking as Fast as I Can, and the A Series of Unfortunate Events series only as ebooks. anyone read any of these yet? :)

so far it's still a bit hard to say which cards will be trickier I think, maybe we should just start reading whatever we prefer and pick 'specific' books once we see which cards aren't filled yet?

message 49: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments So will this tracking sheet be edittable by just captains then? In the only team challenge I've done before (Wobble) we had a planning sheet that the whole team could edit (each filling in what books they were reading and how it fit) then the Captains just submitted the final books into the official spreadsheet.
(just wondering)

message 50: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 903 comments uhm at last year's UNO challenge (at least in my team), only the captains + co-captains had access I think. until I got too impatient and asked for access as well haha!

we'll just have to wait and see what Ashleigh's take on this is :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14