The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,316 (1316 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 26 27

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 26, 2017 02:24PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments
Team Yvaine

Team Members:
♦ Karen (Captain)
♦ Kathleen (Co-captain)
♦ Nikk (Co-captain)
♦ Chava
♦ Lisa - Aussie Girl
♦ Sally906
♦ Sarah T.
♦ Dima

♦ Meg Hovde

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:46PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments
“He's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”
― Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments r

message 4: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (last edited Jan 27, 2017 03:32AM) (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments Team Shelves

Karen
Nikk
Kathleen
Sally
Lisa
Chava
Sarah
Dima

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (last edited Jan 21, 2017 10:59PM) (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments

FEBRUARY CARDS

Card Frequency
0 3
1 7
2 6
3 5
4 7
5 7
6 7
7 7
8 7
9 7
Draw 2 6
Reverse 7
Skip 6
Wild 3
Wild D 1

Note: I have taken out cards where we can use a draw 2 (you will see on our team spreadsheet where I have made notes) ; so for example, hand three has a Draw 2 and also 2x2 ; so I'm assuming we will just use the same book for both of those 2 cards.
Where there is a hand like hand 2, we will use the draw 2 for 2 different numbered cards so I haven't removed any of them yet as we don't know what they will be.

Our tracking spreadsheet is here I'm happy to share with you all to be able to edit, you can enter in your books that you intend to read and then once they are actually read I'll add in the read date and hand number they are being used for. Or if you just want to post in our team thread, then me or one of the co-caps can add into the s/sheet :)

message 6: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (last edited Jan 05, 2018 06:53PM) (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments Important

*Only books STARTED after the challenge begins can count. The challenge starts on Wednesday February 1, 2016 at 7pm AEDST (Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time). To see when this is in your time zone, use this countdown

*Books must be more than 100 pages in length. If it is a Childrens book or a graphic novel, we need to verify it is more than 25,000 words on arbookfind.com.

*Your finished books need to be on your Uno shelf AND marked as "read" for them to count.

* Please make notes of how your book may count. The more options we have the better! (Letters used in UNO are Z,O,T,H,F,I,V,E,S,N,K,P and of course if another team member has read the book before. Please friend our team members!)

* This is a social challenge, not a competitive one. We'd love to get points, but the main aim of the game is to have fun, read lots and get to know each other :)

message 7: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (last edited Feb 19, 2017 03:10PM) (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments Our March Cards

Card Frequency
0 4
1 7
2 7
3 8
4 7
5 8
6 6
7 7
8 8
9 7
Skip 6
Reverse 8
Wild 3
Wild Draw 4 3

We also have coloured cards this month which means we need to have a book with a cover more than 50% that colour (using https://labs.tineye.com/color/)

1 Green
4 Green
9 Green
4 Blue
5 Blue
9 Blue
7 Red
8 Yellow

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments reserved

message 9: by just kat (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments Hi Karen and Nikk! Nice to see you again. I feel like we should be best buds by now, it's always the 3 of us together. And have I mentioned how much I LOVE Stardust? :D I love the team names!

There's a 2-part BBC dramatization by the way. I think it's still free til tomorrow? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07xs23j

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 296 comments Hey Kathleen! Hiya Karen! Good to be team challenging with you two again :-) I have seen the stardust movie though never read the book i am afraid. Looking forward to meeting the rest of the team :-)

message 11: by just kat (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments Excited to meet the rest of the team too! :)

message 12: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments Hi ladies!
Well, I don't think we've done UNO together (have we?), but you're right that you tend to come across the same people in challenges because of the time zone. ;)
This is a mixed team so we have some US peeps too!

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (last edited Jan 21, 2017 11:04PM) (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments I've checked out our cards for Feb and posted them above.
Nikk & Kathleen, if you can also PM me your email address and I'll give you edit rights to our s/sheet and the tracking s/sheet.

What sticks out at me is that, as a team, during Feb we need to read 7 books that have been read before by other team members.
Also "V" can be hard (card 7) and we have 7 of those!

message 14: by just kat (last edited Jan 22, 2017 12:00AM) (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments Reserve a read book immediately for "V" if it fits? There's always V.E. Schwab/Victoria Schwab to turn to!

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (last edited Jan 22, 2017 12:22AM) (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments As it happens I ordered The Unbound last week so I will read that in February :)

If you are both ok with it, the last 2 years I have found that as people read a book if they fill in the tracking spreadsheet, or post the details here of everything that it may count for (That we then put in the tracking s/sheet), then by the end of the month we are generally on track and so don't need to 'claim' cards to read for.
We can check our status after 2 weeks and then make a call on if there are any potential issues where we may need to read for a particular card. What do you think?

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 296 comments There is also Victoria Aveyard and her new book comes out early Feb which i am more than likely going to be pre-ordering in the next week or so. :-) Also Rachel Vincent, she has a few series going at the moment.

Also if a few of us like to read series, we could find some book 7s. I know I am currently reading through the Charley davidson series in preparation for book 11 though I am only up to book 4 :-P

message 17: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments I've put a few books in the tracking s/sheet that I know I will read next month. I'll go searching for specific things once the team is here and do some shelf compares to get a few Reverse cards covered :)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 296 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "As it happens I ordered The Unbound last week so I will read that in February :)

If you are both ok with it, the last 2 years I have found that as people read a book if they fill i..."

Sounds good as I know in past teams we have had slower readers get a bit miffed when a card they had 'claimed' and were reading for but then filled by a more speedy reader who had had completed all their alotted goals already.

Also just a heads up that my daughter starts school on 31st January so for that first few days of feb, I may not be sure whether I am coming or going but should be back on board by the weekend

message 19: by just kat (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "As it happens I ordered The Unbound last week so I will read that in February :)

If you are both ok with it, the last 2 years I have found that as people read a book if they fill i..."

Sounds good Karen!

message 20: by just kat (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments Nikk wrote: "Also just a heads up that my daughter starts school on 31st January so for that first few days of feb, I may not be sure whether I am coming or going but should be back on board by the weekend"

What grade is Buffy in?

message 21: by just kat (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments I'll try and put some books I'm sure I'll be reading next month. I'm a very moody reader though so I rarely follow my planned TBRs.

message 22: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 488 comments woo hoo!!!!!

I'm here!!!!!!!

Thanks Karen!!!

My empty, for the moment, UNO2017 shelf is here

message 23: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments Thanks Sally!

Welcome everyone! We just announced teams and I have sent you all a PM with our team thread so hopefully we will all make our way here fairly soon.
If you could post the link to your UNO shelf as you come on over that would be great!

message 24: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 488 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Thanks Sally!

Welcome everyone! We just announced teams and I have sent you all a PM with our team thread so hopefully we will all make our way here fairly soon.
If you could post the link to your UNO shelf as you come on over that would be great! ..."

I did post a link - it in post 22 - I loved stardust - read it years ago

message 25: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 488 comments Now from what I can gather - I need to see if anything on my shelves have been read by the other team members - some I am friends with already - I will catch up with the others later - at this stage I am sneaking on from work on my iPhone ;)

message 26: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments Got your link Sally :). Sorry, I meant that for anyone else coming on by. Teehee

message 27: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments Sally906 wrote: "Now from what I can gather - I need to see if anything on my shelves have been read by the other team members - some I am friends with already - I will catch up with the others later - at this stag..."

Yes, it is a good idea to add all the team mates as friends and then we can easily see if someone has read a book before. I think we generally have books in common, I was going to go hunting over the next few days and see what I may want to read next month :)

message 28: by Sally906 (last edited Jan 22, 2017 10:19PM) (new)

Sally906 | 488 comments I have a year's worth of books planned for a couple of 12 month challenges - so have 40 must read books on a list - I will pick out them first then expand onto TBR pile.

If I spot a couple of books that I can use to read - is it alright to assign them to my UNO shelf ready for the start so I know I have earmarked them?

message 29: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments Yep, go for it Sally!
We can then add them to our tracking spreadsheet too

message 30: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 449 comments I've been stalking this team thread waiting to make my grand entrance....

...and I'm not in it :o

I know what team I'll be watching and waiting to beat ;P

message 31: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments Ashley wrote: "I've been stalking this team thread waiting to make my grand entrance....

I know what team I'll be watching and waiting to beat ;P"

LOL!

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 296 comments Ashley wrote: "I've been stalking this team thread waiting to make my grand entrance....

I know what team I'll be watching and waiting to beat ;P"

LOL Ashley! Its going to be weird playing against you :-P

Good to see you again Sally :-)

Kathleen, Buffy is starting Kindergarten next week. She is very excited about finally starting big school :-)

message 33: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 488 comments Hi Nikk. Nice to see you again :)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 1252 comments Hi everyone, I'm checking in.

Here's my shelf with the very imaginative name of Uno -2017 -
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list....

i'm excited to be playing again.. with some lovely familiar friends and some new people to get to know (waves...)

message 35: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 488 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm checking in.

i'm excited to be playing again.. with so..."

Hi Lisa!!! Back together again :)

message 36: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Jan 22, 2017 11:59PM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 1252 comments Here's the first book I intend on reading -

Identity: Unknown by Suzanne Brockmann

Character: Zoe Robinson 0
Character: Luke "Lucky " O'Donlon 1
Title: I 5
Author: S 6
No 8 in a series. 8
Setting: New Mexico 9
Character: K Becca Keyes skip

I'll let the Capt/Co-Capts put it where it fits best.

message 37: by just kat (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments Hi Sally and Lisa (back together!)

Ashley, I agree with Nikk. Feels weird to be on separate teams.

message 38: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3937 comments True to tradition and since Kathleen has been waiting for it ;-)

I mean,

Hellooooo :-)

message 39: by Chava (new)

Chava | 401 comments Hi all,

I'm so excited that UNO is back. I joined in last year and was hoping they'd do it again this year.

To start off, I'll read Liar Liar for card 4

message 40: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 488 comments Hi Chava - I haven't met you before - but seen your name around. Nice to meet you. I am Sally and I live in Darwin - probably closer to Kathleen than anyone else :)

message 41: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3172 comments Yay! Hi Chava!

I actually forget which teams I've been on with which people, but it is so nice seeing familiar faces as I go around the team threads :)

message 42: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 488 comments Ok - put me down for Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris for a Reverse.

Chava has read it and I have it earmarked as 2017 challenge book so will fit nicely.

message 43: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Eldarwen wrote: "True to tradition and since Kathleen has been waiting for it ;-)

I mean,

Hellooooo :-)"

Starting trouble again I see ;)

message 44: by Chava (new)

Chava | 401 comments Sally906 wrote: "Hi Chava - I haven't met you before - but seen your name around. Nice to meet you. I am Sally and I live in Darwin - probably closer to Kathleen than anyone else :)"

Hey Sally!
I've seen you around too. I'm in Melbourne, VIC. So nice to have so many Aussies together, that's easier with keeping up with chats, I hope :)

Btw, let me know what you think of Behind closed doors. The author has a second book out which is now on my tbr list :)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 1252 comments Sally906 wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm checking in.

i'm excited ..."

We sure are! Remember this time last year you were getting ready to do your river cruise.. now I'm getting ready for mine - 8 April! We're so looking forward to it.

message 46: by Chava (new)

Chava | 401 comments I'll be listening to the audiobook version of Kill the Next One by Federico Axat

That fits with cards
1 - number one in the title
4 - Author's name starts with F
Skip - title starts with K

message 47: by just kat (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 344 comments Eldarwen wrote: "True to tradition and since Kathleen has been waiting for it ;-)

I mean,

Hellooooo :-)"

Hi #GIFmaster E!!!! :D Boo I'm on my phone so I let's imagine I also posted an awesome gif.
What team are you in? Oh wait! You're Kate Daniels! I remember Annika's furry lion gif. And of course yummy Ryan Gosling.

message 48: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 488 comments I was going to ask you when you were leaving.

Happy to give you some hints and tips. Including what town you can buy some wicked brandy laced coffee with a pile of whipped cream on top!

Will message you before you go. Any questions about the tours ask away. Between the 4 of us we did most of them. I've got lots of photos that I'm still uploading onto Flickr - will get a wiggle on and finish them.

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Twiggs (twiggssl) | 420 comments Hi everyone!

It was a nice surprise waking up this morning and see an e-mail saying teams have been announced!

Here is my Uno shelf - will fill in once I narrow down books I want to read.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Can't wait to get started :-)

message 50: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 488 comments Welcome Sarah - nice to meet you. Just about to turn in for the night. I'm an Aussie :)

Catch you later :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 26 27