The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2017 > Team Will Traynor

Comments Showing 1-50 of 258 (258 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 22, 2017 09:23PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments
Team Will Traynor

Team Members:
♦ Kirsten (Captain)
♦ Pat (Co-captain)
♦ Carol CB (Co-captain)
♦ Diane Woods
♦ Kaley Belakovich
♦ Kim

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:44PM) (new)

“A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship.”
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Apr 13, 2017 05:59PM) (new)

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Kirsten (last edited Jan 24, 2017 09:25AM) (new)

Kirsten (kkhoppers) | 132 comments How to post a finished book:

Blasphemy 2/01/17-2/04/17
Works for: 2, and anything else

message 5: by Kirsten (last edited Jan 24, 2017 09:45AM) (new)

Kirsten (kkhoppers) | 132 comments February Cards

0: 4
1: 7
2: 7
3: 5
4: 7
5: 5
6: 8
7: 5
8: 6
9: 6
Reverse: 7
Draw 2: 8
Wild Draw Four: 4
Wild: 3
Skip: 6

I'll be updating this as books are read to see what we have left throughout the month!

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kkhoppers) | 132 comments r

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol CB | 97 comments Hello! I am the co captain of this team :) really excited to start and feel free to add me as a friend .

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol CB | 97 comments R

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol CB | 97 comments R

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kkhoppers) | 132 comments Does anyone know if we're going to use the same spreadsheet as previous years? I'm assuming we are, just making sure.

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments Kirsten wrote: "Does anyone know if we're going to use the same spreadsheet as previous years? I'm assuming we are, just making sure."

Hello, other Kirsten. :) Not sure if it is the same as previous years, but your team's spreadsheet is linked above, at the bottom of post 1. (in case you missed it)

message 14: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments Kirsten wrote: "Does anyone know if we're going to use the same spreadsheet as previous years? I'm assuming we are, just making sure."

The setup is almost the same, the only difference is when you add the number of finished hands. You used to add the points (15 for each hand) now you write the number of hands you've completed.

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kkhoppers) | 132 comments A question for the co captains, do we want to be able to 'reserve' certain cards or place everything as we finish?

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol CB | 97 comments What would be the advantage vs the other ?

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kkhoppers) | 132 comments Well I prefer reserving over putting them in when I finish a book. That's because we can plan what books we are reading at the beginning and also let's us know what will be harder to fill.

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol CB | 97 comments Ok then :) lets follow your recommendation !

message 19: by Diane Woods (new)

Diane Woods | 81 comments Hi! Are we still waiting for other team members to join up? Kinda quiet lol I noticed there are already books in the spreadsheet. Is that just a preemptive thing? I thought we weren't supposed to start our books for the challenge yet?

message 20: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kkhoppers) | 132 comments We are allowed to figure out what we want to read, but all books used in the challenge must be started after it begins. Everyone is free to add books before they start reading!

message 21: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1157 comments How is this being organized as far as picking books go? (It's my first time with UNO, though I imagine that this varies on team captain's preference...) Do we pick our own? Do captains make suggestions or pick books for certain cards and then we can pick which ones we want to do/captain assigns them?

message 22: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kkhoppers) | 132 comments You can read whatever you want, but you'll want to follow the basic guidelines so the books you read can be used.
Once you finish a book, just make a comment like this one:

Blasphemy 2/01/17-2/04/17
Works for: 2, and anything else

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol CB | 97 comments I guess we have to finish hand 1 before putting books in hand 2?

message 24: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kkhoppers) | 132 comments Not exactly. We have to finish all of hand one before we can claim points for the hands after!

message 25: by Carol (new)

Carol CB | 97 comments I cant open it from my phone so just reserving the number 6, hand 1 : unstrung laura spinella. I need to read it for netgalley. I ll update later ;)

message 26: by Carol (new)

Carol CB | 97 comments And the next one : hand 2 number 2 tides of honour

message 27: by ♞ Pat (last edited Jan 23, 2017 03:18PM) (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 0 comments Hi everybody. I'm here! It took me a bit to find us, but now that I'm here, I'll bookmark and won't get lost again!

How's everybody? Excited to start this game. It looks awesome fun~

I'm one of those "fill in the blank" players. I work at a library, so I can get my hands on just about anything, and I can do it quickly. I'm a team player, so I like to read whatever helps the team finish a task.

My favorite genres are historical fiction, mystery/thillers, and contemporary fiction. But I'm an eclectic reader really. I enjoy reading a little bit of everything, but I really REALLY hate romance, so I avoid that whenever possible.

I can read two books a week easy, three if it's a push, and four if I absolutely have to, but I can't sustain that kind of effort for the long haul.

Let me know what we need filled in, and I'm your go to girl!

message 28: by Kme_17 (last edited Jan 23, 2017 06:10PM) (new)

Kme_17 | 177 comments Hi Guys! I am so excited to start playing! I read a lot of different things, so along with Pat I can fill in when needed. Looking forward for being on team with you all

message 29: by Diane Woods (new)

Diane Woods | 81 comments Hey people! Wake up! lol Let's get some chatter going in here! Would anyone like to do some getting to know you questions/games?

message 30: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 0 comments Morning. I'm here! Let's do that. I love get to know you games...

message 31: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1157 comments I am up for whatever you guys want to do!

message 32: by Carol (new)

Carol CB | 97 comments Sure ! On another note should we all have access to the spreadsheet so we can add the books we want to read where they fit ?

message 33: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kkhoppers) | 132 comments Usually captains and co captains have access. This is just so we can organize everything the best way it fits.

message 34: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kkhoppers) | 132 comments Also, when reserving a spot, please link the book instead of putting just the title! It makes putting them on the spreadsheet a bit easier. Thanks!!

message 35: by Kme_17 (new)

Kme_17 | 177 comments I am ready to roll : ) let the get to know you games begin.

message 36: by Carol (new)

Carol CB | 97 comments Oklets start with two things

- For the challenge : Maybe each reserve at least one book on the spreadsheet ? (I have access I can add you if you need) If possible in hand one, so we know what to start with :)

- now for the getting to know, lets start with an easy one : Where are you all from ? :)
Me I am am originally from France, but moved for my studies to Montreal, which I still live, and I am now a proud canadian :) and for the little story I am married with an englishman, whom I met in canada.

And you ?

message 37: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1157 comments For the challenge: I can take one of the 9s in hand one -- Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon (author first name starts with N).

Getting to know -- I'm from Indiana, USA. Grew up in the northern part of the state and now live in Indianapolis.

message 38: by Diane Woods (new)

Diane Woods | 81 comments For the challenge: I'm not really one for reserving books. I'm the type who will just read what needs to be read for a task or read whatever I'm reading already and see if it fits for any current tasks.

Getting to know you: I have lived in Missouri my entire 32 years of life and in Springfield for 30.

Add on question: what book made you love reading?

message 39: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1157 comments The first books I remember reading independently were the Junie B. Jones books (I think in 2nd grade), so that started it. Then I read the first Harry Potter book when I was about 9, and I was done for :-P

message 40: by Diane Woods (new)

Diane Woods | 81 comments I never tried the Junie B. Jones books. I found Ramona Quimby and I was off and running! :)

message 41: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 92 comments Not on your team, I was just lurking but then I saw Junie B. Jones, lol! I LOVED those books when I was a kid. Two weeks ago I bought 3 Junie B. books for my little cousin (6yo) and we started reading them after our Sunday family dinner with everyone and the whole family was just howling! Such fun books!

message 42: by Kme_17 (new)

Kme_17 | 177 comments I able to pick up whatever is needed. I have a big TBR to chose from : )

I am from Alabama USA. Lived here for most of my life . I love the Ramona Quimby Books by the way.

message 43: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kkhoppers) | 132 comments I'm from Georgia and have always lived here. I actually didn't start reading until fifth grade, so the book that made me love reading was Unraveling by Liz Norris.

message 44: by Carol (new)

Carol CB | 97 comments Been reading as well since young age, books i loved were the animorphs lol anyone read those ?

message 45: by Diane Woods (new)

Diane Woods | 81 comments Yes Animorphs was also one of my favorite! Goosebumps were a big part of my reading lists as well. I remember going to the library and asking the librarian for book lists (Newberry Awards, etc.) so I would have a list of books to read over the summers.

message 46: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1157 comments I never read Animorphs because the TV show scared me too much... :-P

message 47: by Carol (new)

Carol CB | 97 comments Ah ah i am not sure i had the tv show in france at that time ... i would have watch it for sure. :)

Goosebumps was too scary ! Lol

Follow up question : all time favorite book ?

message 48: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 0 comments My favorite book of all time - gosh, that's tough. There are so many! Probably a draw between

The Tale of the Body Thief and The Nightingale

message 49: by Carol (new)

Carol CB | 97 comments In fairness maybe those types of comment tend to bring more coldness to the group than a warmth atmosphere... so maybe lets keep going with suggesting your own favorite book, or maybe you have another mini game to get to know each other instead ?

message 50: by Carol (new)

Carol CB | 97 comments By the way i love the nightingale as well for me one of best book of recent years

« previous 1 3 4 5 6