The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 357 (357 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 22, 2017 09:22PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1354 comments
Team Ove

Team Members:
♦ Judith Brown (Captain)
♦ Daphne (Co-captain)
♦ Ashley Partch
♦ Kelsi
♦ Leslie
♦ Lisa
♦ Megan Fuller

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:35PM) (new)

“Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...”
― Ilona Andrews, Magic Bites

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Apr 13, 2017 05:48PM) (new)

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Judith (last edited Feb 27, 2017 07:35AM) (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments Team UNO Shelf links:

♦ Judith: uno2017
♦ Daphne: uno2017
♦ Ashley Partch: uno challenge 2017
♦ Kelsi: uno 2017
♦ Leslie: uno
♦ Lisa: uno team ove
♦ Megan Fuller: uno challenge

COUNTDOWN TO START OF MARCH UNO
MARCH UNO Begins!!

Team Rankings
Current UNO 2017 Team Rankings

message 5: by Judith (last edited Apr 26, 2017 07:09AM) (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments Team Tracking Sheet:
Team Ove Tracking Sheet

Color Extractor for Cover Colors
Book Cover Color

Cards by Type for April: 105/105 updated 4/26
9 Blue
6 Blue
6 Blue
4 Blue
5 Blue
6 Yellow
3 Yellow
4 Red
8 Blue
7 Red
0: 3/3
1: 7/7
2: 6/6
3: 6/6
4: 8/8
5: 4/4
6: 8/8
7: 8/8
8: 7/7
9: 8/8
Skip: 7/7
Reverse: 8/8
Wild: 3/3
W4: 4/4
Draw 2: 8/8

message 6: by Judith (last edited Apr 18, 2017 03:19AM) (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments ◈◈◈Perks UNO cards◈◈◈

O (Zero)
(view spoiler)

message 7: by Judith (last edited May 01, 2017 03:22AM) (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments Easter Egg Mini Challenge

Below are the number of tasks per team egg, what's been claimed, what's been read, and which eggs are complete.

And remember we get bonus points for completed eggs!!
24 of 24 Eggs Completed

♦Augustus Waters: 6 tasks, 6 completed
♦Becky Bloomwood: 7 tasks, 7 claimed, 6 completed
♦Bones: 4 tasks, 4 claimed, 1 completed
♦Buttercup: 3 tasks, 2 claimed, 1 completed
♦Elizabeth Bennet: 6 tasks, 2 claimed, 1 completed
♦Eve Dallas: 3 tasks, 3 completed
♦Harry Dresden: 3 tasks, 3 completed
♦Heathcliff: 3 tasks, 3 claimed, 1 completed
♦Hercule Poirot: 4 tasks, 3 claimed, 2 completed
♦Jack Torrance: 3 tasks, 2 claimed, 1 completed
♦Kate Daniels: 3 tasks, 1 claimed, 1 completed
♦Liesel Meminger: 3 tasks, 3 completed
♦Mark Watney: 3 tasks, 3 completed
♦Mercy Thompson: 3 tasks, 3 claimed, 1 completed
♦Ove: 3 tasks, 3 completed
♦Peeta Mellark: 3 tasks, 3 completed
♦Rachel Watson: 3 tasks, 3 completed
♦Robert Langdon: 4 tasks
♦Ron Weasley: 3 tasks, 1 claimed, 1 completed
♦Rose Hathaway: 3 tasks, 3 completed
♦Sybilla Bridgerton: 3 tasks, 2 claimed, 2 completed
♦Ty & Zane: 3 tasks, 3 completed
♦Will Traynor: 4 tasks, 1 claimed
♦Yvaine: 24 tasks, 24 completed

message 8: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments open minded

message 9: by Judith (last edited Jan 23, 2017 06:55AM) (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments Hello Everyone! This is your captain speaking.

I hope you are all excited to start UNO! I love our team name. If you haven't read this book I highly recommend it. I wish Ove was my neighbor. haha

Please make sure you have an UNO shelf and let me know when you've done so and I'll add the links. If people had an easily identified UNO shelf, I already linked them. So please just check to make sure I'm linking to the correct shelf.

Also, expect friend requests from me :)

message 10: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 221 comments Hello fellow teammates!

I signed up for co-captain duties, and I hope I can help out wherever needed. Super excited to get started.

I personally haven't read this book yet. Have considered it for awhile now - maybe I will have to now that this is our team name lol.

message 11: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann | 221 comments Hello Team. I am so glad to see Daphne and Kelsi from my wobble team! Looking forward to meeting the rest of you. This will be my first time playing this challenge. Looks like fun. A little about myself: I live in Colorado and am a retired computer tech. I love to travel with my hubby. I love reading all kinds of books . My favorites are mystery, science fiction and horror. I read Ove last year and really loved it. Cant wait to start!

message 12: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments Leslie wrote: "Hello Team. I am so glad to see Daphne and Kelsi from my wobble team! Looking forward to meeting the rest of you. This will be my first time playing this challenge. Looks like fun. A little about m..."

*waves* Hello Leslie!

I literally just clicked send on a friend request for you :)

message 13: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments Daphne wrote: "Hello fellow teammates!

I signed up for co-captain duties, and I hope I can help out wherever needed. Super excited to get started.

I personally haven't read this book yet. Have considered it f..."

Daphne, make sure you request access (you do this from the spreadsheet) to the official team spreadsheet so you can edit.

The team tracking spreadsheet (in message 5) should be open to everyone on the team for editing. So if someone can't edit it, please let me know.

message 14: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann | 221 comments Just FYI to everyone. I am going to Cozumel Feb 16- Feb 25. I will be back the 26th. I won't have access to my computer, but I will have internet access on my phone. I won't be able to update the spreadsheet, but I will be able to post , so if someone else could update my info to the spreadsheet that would be great. Of course I will be reading .....beach time : )
Leslie

message 15: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments Leslie wrote: "Just FYI to everyone. I am going to Cozumel Feb 16- Feb 25. I will be back the 26th. I won't have access to my computer, but I will have internet access on my phone. I won't be able to update the s..."

That sounds fun and totally workable. Either Daphne or I will get your info on the tracking sheet.

I'll be in Iceland from Feb 11 to Feb 17 and will be in a similar situation. I think as long as Daphne and I aren't on vacation at the same time, it'll be fine.

message 16: by Kelsi (last edited Jan 23, 2017 09:42AM) (new)

Kelsi | 210 comments Hi everyone! Shout out to Daphne and Leslie from wobble! Looking forward to getting started, Ove is one of my favorite books :)

Have fun on vacations Leslie and Judith!

It looks like you have the right shelf for me Judith.

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 4 comments Hey everyone! I am excited to start this challenge. This is the first challenge that I am doing since joining this group. I love reading. I love both fantasy and contemporary books. I have been wanting to read A Man Called Ove ever since I heard about it in the booktube community. Again I am very excited to start.

message 18: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments UNO 2015 was my first team challenge and is what I like to think of as the gateway team challenge. So many people have this as their first challenge game only to get addicted and never look back.

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan (lethargicpoison) | 46 comments Hello everybody! I'm in the same boat as Ashley-this is also my first challenge! I'm really looking forward to it.

I enjoy reading graphic novels (shame I can't for the challenge!), contemporary fiction, and fantasy, but I will literally read anything. I also have not read A Man Called Ove, but it's on my TBR!

message 20: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments I'm excited that we have some new blood to bring to the dark side and turn them into reading challenge addicts. LOL

We are just waiting for Lisa to check in and then our whole team will be present and accounted for. Once she checks in, we can go through some strategies, etc for getting the cards completed.

This is my third round of UNO. The first time was in 2015 and as I mentioned it was my gateway game and sent me looking for other team challenges once it was over. Last year my UNO team came in second place, so hoping to improve on that this year :)

Like Megan, I'll read almost anything. But I do read a lot of mystery, historical fiction, paranormal, fantasy, and YA. Although when I get into challenge mode I tend to read a lot of contemporary romance because they tend to be short, quick reads and I can knock out a lot of tasks that way.

message 21: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments Kelsi wrote: "Hi everyone! Shout out to Daphne and Leslie from wobble! Looking forward to getting started, Ove is one of my favorite books :)

Have fun on vacations Leslie and Judith!

It looks like you have th..."

Were you guys all on the same Wobble team? I recognize your names from various discussion threads. That's cool to end up together on a team again. Which team was it?

I was captain of Flying Squirrels and loved playing all the different games. Although I admit I was burned out by the end and was ready for a bit of a reading break.

message 22: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann | 221 comments We all on Hawaiian Bobtail Squid. A really great group. We all wanted to stay together , but the Mods said that wouldn't be fair( kind of agree). So they spread us out : ). Wobble was my first challenge. I went from maybe reading 30 books a year to 100! Kind of caught the challenge bug ( may have signed up for too many). I can tell this one is going to be fun!!!!
Do you think you guys could put how each card can be used on one of your reserved spaces?
Thanks,
Leslie

message 23: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 210 comments Wobble was really fun, but I agree a bit exhausting since it was so long. After the decent break though, I am definitely looking forward to a new challenge! This is my second time playing this one, I really enjoyed it last year.

My main genres are fantasy, YA, and paranormal, but I also read pretty much everything. Lately I have been really enjoying mystery and historical fiction.

message 24: by Judith (last edited Jan 24, 2017 10:25AM) (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments Leslie wrote: "We all on Hawaiian Bobtail Squid. A really great group. We all wanted to stay together , but the Mods said that wouldn't be fair( kind of agree). So they spread us out : ). Wobble was my first chal..."

Sure thing! I actually meant to do this earlier so thanks for the reminder :)

In the tracking spreadsheet there is also reminders of what works for each card both across the top of the spreadsheet (in abbreviated form) and in full explanation on a separate tab.

So when you are logging in your completed books you won't have to toggle back and forth between the team thread and the spreadsheet if you need to double check something for a given card. Hopefully that will make it easier for you guys when logging books.

message 25: by Judith (last edited Jan 24, 2017 10:32AM) (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments I also added the countdown to when you can start reading books for UNO in my first reserved post (same post as the shelf links).

We are all in North America (I believe) so for us the start time is the early hours of the morning on Feb 1st depending on your given time zone.

message 26: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann | 221 comments Thanks Judith!

message 27: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 210 comments I can't believe this is only a week away, mostly because I can't believe how fast this month has disappeared!

message 28: by Judith (last edited Jan 26, 2017 05:55AM) (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments I hope everyone is getting excited now that we are less than a week away from starting!

Hopefully Lisa will check in soon, but whether she does or not I plan on discussing strategy by this weekend and making sure to answer any questions people may have before the game starts. Especially with having people new to the game.

That being said please ask any questions you have at any time. This game is pretty straightforward but I've found sometimes challenge rules don't completely click into place until the game actually starts.

I think the most important rule to remember right now is books used for UNO can't be started until the game begins on Feb 1st.

message 29: by Megan (new)

Megan (lethargicpoison) | 46 comments Does everyone discuss what they will be reading for what card? I guess that is what I am most confused about!

message 30: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments Megan wrote: "Does everyone discuss what they will be reading for what card? I guess that is what I am most confused about!"

Sort of, especially later in the month when only certain cards are needed so choices need to be a bit more targeted.

However, we can move books around until the end of the month so I wasn't planning on assigning specific cards in hands to people.

This is where the tracking spreadsheet comes in handy (it's in message 5). Team members can log their books (or if you aren't comfortable with doing that Daphne or I can log them for you) and mark all the cards a book will work for. Then Daphne and I can enter them into the official team spreadsheet for points where it makes the most sense.

I tend to focus on the harder ones first list (7, 5, etc) and then leave the easy ones (2, 1, and wilds) until the end.

But what strategy the team decides to go with is something we can discuss as a group.

message 31: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann | 221 comments Do we have use the 0 cards and do we get points for them?

message 32: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann | 221 comments Sorry .., I have never played Uno : /

message 33: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann | 221 comments Never-mind... i found the explanation for the points. I think I get it now : )

message 34: by Judith (last edited Jan 26, 2017 04:28PM) (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments Yes, Zero is just like the other number cards 1 to 9 in terms of points and actually is pretty easy to find a book to work for the card.

Not usually with the Z, but since any book that isn't part of a series works, it's not too hard to find one.

The only card that doesn't get points is the Draw 2 card, but it allows us to use the same book for two different cards. So the benefit of the Draw 2 card is we get to complete a hand faster. Example, our Hand 7 will only need 3 books to finish it.

Hopefully that helps some. But I'm happy to make up some examples if people are confused.

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 8 comments Hi team !!!!

message 36: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 210 comments Hi Lisa! :)

message 37: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann | 221 comments HI LIsa!!

message 38: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments Hello Lisa!!!

Yay, the whole team is here :)

message 39: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 4 comments Hello Lisa!!

message 40: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments Hello team,

I hope everyone is getting ready to start the game in just a few days. I'm not sure where January has gone, it's certainly been a crazy month. Sorry I haven't been posting more but works been nuts. Thankfully it's calmed down and will likely stay that way.

I know we have people new to challenges altogether and others new to this particular game. So please let me know if you all have any questions about rules, setting up bookshelves, filling out the tracking sheet, etc.

As for strategy, what worked well for my team last year was targeting some of the harder cards like 7, 5, 8, reverse first and then work on the easier cards. Wilds left to the end. Is this approach okay with everyone?

Hands don't have to be completed in order and no book is locked in place until the end of the month so we can move things around if need be.

If people have suggestions or an approach that worked well for their teams in previous years, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

message 41: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 210 comments That sounds like the approach my team used too and it seemed to work really well.

We also found using the tracking sheet and just writing in everything a book worked for was pretty helpful so we could easily pinpoint the hardest card it could fill and see what still needed to be filled in.

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 4 comments Since I am new to challenges if that approach is what worked for you in the pass then I am fine with that, I think that sounds like a good idea.

I might need help with the tracking sheet since I am new to this and also I am very busy with work and other stuff so I don't know how often I can update it.

message 43: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments That's fine about the tracking sheet. If you are only able to make a quick post on here when you finish a book and let us know which cards a given book works for, I can enter it on the tracking spreadsheet for you.

message 44: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments Also, one thing about characters. Character first name, last name, and nicknames can all be used.

The characters that qualify include both major and minor characters, so you are not limited to just using the main characters. But the character must move the plot forward in some way.

For example the main character's mother who she interacts with occasionally/has conversations with is okay but the main character's doorman who she only says hello to doesn't. Hopefully that makes sense. If you are ever unsure, post here with the specific example from the book you are reading and the team can weigh in.

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 8 comments can one book be used for more then one card ?

message 46: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 221 comments Lisa wrote: "can one book be used for more then one card ?"

Only for Draw 2 cards. Otherwise, it's one book per card. :)

SO excited the game is about to start. Can't wait to start playing with you all.

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 8 comments I have a uno shelf

message 48: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 221 comments Lisa wrote: "I have a uno shelf "

Let Judith know what it is titled, and she should be able to add it in for you. :)

message 49: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments Lisa, I have the link to your shelf now. At some point just check it to make sure it links to the correct place.

message 50: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 1297 comments Some housekeeping items:

A little over 12 hours until the game begins!! Please remember any book started before the appropriate time tomorrow cannot be used for UNO. Allow for all of us it's the wee hours of the morning so I'm not expecting that to be an issue.

And please remember to shelve UNO applicable books on your UNO shelf so they are easy for Daphne and I to find when we are doing our captain thing.

All book for February must be started no earlier than Feb 1st and marked as read with the read date no later than Feb 28th. Books must be marked as read with a date of sometime during Feb 2017 to count.

The app sometimes lies about marking something as read. Daphne or I will let you know if there is an issue but it's good to periodically check, especially towards the end of the month when there is less time to fix something.

No graphic novels, books less than 100 pages, and children books need to be at least 25,000 words. If you have any questions about whether a book counts, please post the question here and Daphne or I will let you know.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8