The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2017 > Team Sybilla (Billie) Bridgerton

Comments Showing 1-50 of 517 (517 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 22, 2017 09:22PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1351 comments
Team Sybilla (Billie) Bridgerton

Team Members:
♦ Plethora (Captain)
♦ Apoorv (Co-captain)
♦ Elena (Co-captain)
♦ Babitix (Barbara)
♦ Carmen
♦ Denise
♦ Rachel Wagaman
♦ Sassafrass

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:41PM) (new)

“Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.”
― Neil Gaiman, Stardust

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Apr 13, 2017 05:59PM) (new)

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Plethora (last edited Feb 24, 2017 10:04PM) (new)

message 5: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 122 comments Reserved by Captain

message 6: by Plethora (new)

message 7: by Plethora (new)

message 8: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 500 comments Yippeee! *does the happy dance*

description

Hiii Plethora, Elena, Babitix, Carmen, Denise, Rachel, Sassafrass!
So happy to be part of the team.
Lets do this! :)

message 9: by Apoorv (last edited Jan 22, 2017 09:52PM) (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 500 comments Reserved

My Shelf: Challenge-PBBA-Uno

message 10: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 122 comments LOL..Toddlers and Tiara's girl rockin' it.

message 11: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Jan 24, 2017 05:24PM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 110 comments Hi everyone. Happy to be on the team!!

Uno Perks

message 12: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 451 comments Hello all! I'm happy to be here. :)

message 14: by Elena (new)

Elena  | 409 comments Hello team! Very excited to meet everyone and looking forward to playing together!

My shelf - uno-2017

message 15: by Denise (new)

Denise (duckiedee) | 82 comments Hello all! So looking forward to getting to know you all.

My Shelf - https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Wags | 40 comments Hi, everyone!! I'm excited to be in this challenge with you.

This is my shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 17: by Barbara (last edited Jan 24, 2017 10:52AM) (new)

Barbara Pereira (babitix) | 199 comments Yes! I love The Bridgertons series!

My shelf is: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

description

message 18: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 500 comments Yaaay! Everyone has checked in! :)
I am so excited to begin now! :D

... and we have a great first hand, 3 Skips, 1 Wild, 1 Reverse! Tons of points!
I do have a few books that I would love to read, that will fit for the Skips.

The fun part of this is that (and this is from my previous experience playing UNO) we can fit in almost every book for some card. So, we can read whatever we want and still have it work for the challenge. :=)

message 19: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 500 comments Babitix wrote: "Yes! I love The Bridgertons series!"

I had not heard of this series until now. But, I do want to read Julia Quinn (mostly because I need a Q Author for some or the other challenge :P), but I never knew where to start, since I don't know a lot of people who have read her. This might be my chance to finally read her work. :)

message 20: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Pereira (babitix) | 199 comments Apoorv wrote: "Babitix wrote: "Yes! I love The Bridgertons series!"

I had not heard of this series until now. But, I do want to read Julia Quinn (mostly because I need a Q Author for some or the other challenge ..."

It is very girly. If you like this kind of book it won't be hard for you to read them.
I just love the first books: The Duke and I and The Viscount Who Loved Me (specially this one). I hope you enjoy it too!!

message 21: by Apoorv (last edited Jan 24, 2017 10:03AM) (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 500 comments Babitix wrote: "It is very girly. If you like this kind of book it won't be hard for you to read them. I just love the first books: The Duke and I and The Viscount Who Loved Me (specially this one). I hope you enjoy it too!! ."

Oh, don't worry! The woman inside me just needs an opportunity to come out! :P ;=)

Thank you for the recommendation though. Will have to try these books out. I am always skeptical of starting a series as to whether I'd like it or not, because I hate quitting it mid-way. Hopefully I like this one!

message 22: by Elena (new)

Elena  | 409 comments I haven't heard about this series either but I'm such a huge list junkie that as soon as I saw team names posted my first urge was to line up those I haven't read and remedy it. :) Probably won't go quite so far but I too want to get familiar with our title character at least. :D

message 23: by Barbara (last edited Jan 24, 2017 10:51AM) (new)

Barbara Pereira (babitix) | 199 comments Elena wrote: "I haven't heard about this series either but I'm such a huge list junkie that as soon as I saw team names posted my first urge was to line up those I haven't read and remedy it. :) Probably won't g..."

Elena, let me explain you just one thing: The Bridgertons Series are the first series of 9 books. They are easy to read and very pleasant too.
Our title is from a character from The Rokesbys Series, the second series of 4 books (only 2 were published). You can start from this one or from the Bridgerton Series The Duke and I - a book I really love!

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Pereira (babitix) | 199 comments Apoorv wrote: "Babitix wrote: "It is very girly. If you like this kind of book it won't be hard for you to read them. I just love the first books: The Duke and I and The Viscount Who Loved Me (specially this one)..."

HAHAHA! Well, I want to know what are going to think about the series. Let me know asap :P

message 25: by Elena (new)

Elena  | 409 comments I realized I haven't yet made it to the pre-challenge chat so I'll just say a few words about myself here :)

I'm Elena and I live in Maryland with my husband, our two dogs and three cats. I spent most of January packing, moving and unpacking in the new place so had very little time to read. We're almost settled now and challenges always boost my reading so hopefully I'll catch up with it quickly. This is my first time playing UNO and everything I've heard about it makes me super excited to start!
I read just about any genre but sci fi/fantasy and mystery/crime would be my favourite types of brain candy.

message 26: by Elena (new)

Elena  | 409 comments Babitix wrote: "Elena wrote: "I haven't heard about this series either but I'm such a huge list junkie that as soon as I saw team names posted my first urge was to line up those I haven't read and remedy it. :) Pr..."

Thank you Babitix, I didn't realize there were so many! lol I added it to TBR.

message 27: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 451 comments Apoorv wrote: "Yaaay! Everyone has checked in! :)
I am so excited to begin now! :D

... and we have a great first hand, 3 Skips, 1 Wild, 1 Reverse! Tons of points!
I do have a few books that I would love to read,..."

I'm going to have to bone up on the rules a little bit more before the playing starts.

But, I'm happy to hear that we can pretty much read whatever we want and then plug it in. But, I'm more than willing to try to find books that fit as needed.

message 28: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 451 comments Elena wrote: "I realized I haven't yet made it to the pre-challenge chat so I'll just say a few words about myself here :)

I'm Elena and I live in Maryland with my husband, our two dogs and three cats. I spent ..."

Hi Elena!!! You've got quite the menagerie there. I never had pets before growing up because my mom hates animals. But, we got a dog for my kids and she ended up becoming MY BABY! LOL And now we've got a puppy too. So I went from never having a pet to having two. I'm an animal lover for life now. :)

message 29: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 122 comments Finally GR working again...for how long unknown.

message 30: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 122 comments So to let you know what we have up for our February hands so you can start taking a look and planning a bit. I'll get a planning spreadsheet set-up for us to use before the game begins. It seems to help keep things straight that are talked about in the thread before they are finalized for submission.

Hand One
Skip
Skip
Wild
Skip
Reverse

Hand Two
Wild
Skip

Hand Three
Draw 2
Wild Draw 4
Wild Draw 4

Hand Four
Draw 2
Skip

Hand Five

Hand Six

Hand Seven
Draw 2
Reverse
Reverse

Hand Eight
Wild
Skip

Hand Nine
Draw 2
Reverse

Hand Ten
Draw 2
Draw 2
Reverse

Hand Eleven
Draw 2
Reverse

Hand Twelve
Reverse
Skip
Reverse

Hand Thirteen

message 31: by Barbara (last edited Jan 25, 2017 02:20AM) (new)

Barbara Pereira (babitix) | 199 comments I want to read these:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter e o Cálice de Fogo, Rowling, J.K.)
The End (O Fim, Lemony Snicket)
The Last Kingdom (O Último Reino, Bernard Cornwell)

I'm a Portuguese speaker, so I considered the titles in my language.

message 32: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 122 comments Just a big reminder for this challenge

Only books STARTED after the challenge begins can count.

Here is start times by a few major cities:
Tokyo: 5pm, 1st February
London: 8am, 1st February
New York: 3am, 1st February
San Francisco: Midnight, 1st February

message 33: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 500 comments So, just to summarize all our 13 hands for the month of February, here is what we are dealt with.

1 - 6 times | Max. 120 points
2 - 7 times | Max. 140 points
3 - 7 times | Max. 140 points
4 - 7 times | Max. 140 points
5 - 8 times | Max. 160 points
6 - 8 times | Max. 160 points
7 - 7 times | Max. 140 points
8 - 6 times | Max. 120 points
9 - 5 times | Max. 100 points
0 - 3 times | Max. 60 points
Skip - 7 times | Max. 175 points
Reverse - 8 times | Max. 200 points
Draw 2 - 7 times | Max. 175 points
Wild - 3 times | Max. 90 points
Draw 4 - 2 times | Max. 60 points

Hands completed - 13x15 = Max. 195 points
MAX TOTAL POINTS = 2075

Hopefully, this should give us an idea of roughly what kinds of books, with what letters, we need to read in the next month.

message 34: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 451 comments Thanks for that Apoorv! That's really helpful. I'm going to searching my shelves now.

message 35: by Apoorv (last edited Jan 26, 2017 05:58PM) (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 500 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Thanks for that Apoorv! That's really helpful. I'm going to searching my shelves now."

Me too! I am targeting all the Skips for now as I do have some P & K books lying around.

To that point, if any of you decide on the books that you are going to start with, do mention them here as that will help the others to work on the rest of the deck.

message 36: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 122 comments Yes, that is a much more helpful chart Apoorv!

Few other points that have come up for clarification.

As stated, books can't be started prior to Feb 1 to count for any cards.

Books must be used in the month finished. So no banking books. If you finish a book in Feb. we need to use it in Feb, not March. But you can start the book after Feb 1 and complete it in March to be used in March.

Re-reads are ok if it has been at least 6 months since the book was read.

Characters should have some dialogue and be meaningful to the story. So with Non fiction, it depends on the book.
For example, a memoir is non-fiction, but because it is told like a story you can use the characters as per the usual character rules. If the book is more like a factual account of something - let's say a battle during WWII, then Churchill wouldn't be a character as he is just mentioned as part of the facts, he isn't there as a character.

A book used for reverse is a book a teammate has read at any time not just during the challenge.

message 37: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 451 comments Ok, I've got some strong possibilities for February. Most of which I need to get done next month for other things. a lot of the books work for more than one option so they can be used for Draw two as well!

Strong Possibles for February:

1 - Lost Lake (Lost Lake, #1) by Sarah Addison Allen Lost Lake (Lost Lake, #1) -- must read
2 - The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) by Julia Quinn The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) (or 7)
Blood Vow (Black Dagger Legacy, #2) by J.R. Ward Blood Vow (Black Dagger Legacy, #2)
3 -
4 -
5 - Etched in Bone (The Others, #5) by Anne Bishop Etched in Bone (The others, #5) or (8) -- must read
Imitation in Death (In Death, #17) by J.D. Robb Imitation in Death (title) or 8 (character Eve Dallas) -- must read
6 - Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10) by Patricia Briggs Silence Fallen (or use author for Skip) -- must read
7 -
8 - Easy Kisses (Boudreaux, #4) by Kristen Proby Easy Kisses (or 4)
9 - Chasing Nikki (Chasing Nikki, #1) by Lacey Weatherford Chasing Nikki (character, Nikki) or (1) -- must read
0 - About That Fling by Tawna Fenske About That Fling (Standalone)

Skip - Pucked (or #1 or #3))
Pucked Up (or #2 or #3)
Reverse -
Draw 2 -
Wild -
Draw 4 -

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 110 comments Hi team. I'll take a look at what books I have that will work and that I intend to use for other challenges.

message 39: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 451 comments Hi all! It's been kinda quiet on here but I hope everyone's excited to start. I know I am. this will be my first time playing UNO!

With the REVERSE card we have to read something that another team member has read. So that go me to thinking about what types of book everyone likes to read.

Me, I read just about everything but my favorite Genre is romance. I'll read pretty much any sub-genre as long as I get my HEA.

What about everyone else?

message 40: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 500 comments I sure am excited and can't wait to start! :D

Just like you Sassafrass, I do try and read everything although there are a few genres that I haven't read, purely because I haven't had good recommendations for those, for e.g. Vampires, Goth, Regency Romance, Spiritual etc.

I am especially partial towards a good slow-burn romance, or some adorable MM smut, or a killer kickass female murder-solver, or a creepy old ghost! :P

But, yeah, I would love to hear your 5-star books and would definitely want to read them as part of this challenge. So, please everyone, do suggest your favourites!

message 41: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 122 comments I've spent the weekend sick, So I haven't been on GR much. Which means I'm way behind in keeping tabs with my many groups/challenges.

I really enjoy reading non-fiction history. However, that doesn't meld itself well to the task for all the challenges i find myself doing. So you will find meant different things residing on my recently read shelf.

As much as I'm excited to get this game going I'm also not ready for January to end because I still have some books to finish.

message 42: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 451 comments I hope you're feeling better Bookworm.

I have to admit, I try to avoid most NF stuff. But, I've picked up some great books recently that I'm interested in reading. Mostly social justice stuff which is very near and dear to my heart.

@Apoorv, I liked the way you described "a good slow-burn romance". YUM.
What are some of your favorites? What about MM. I read MM but I'm not an exclusive MM reader. And if I had to pick a second favorite genre it would be Urban Fantasy. I love me some kick-ass heroines!

message 43: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Pereira (babitix) | 199 comments Dear captains and members,

We used a spredsheet last year that helped us to organize everything. Do you have an gmail?

Send it to me so I'll let you edit our spreadsheet too (:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 44: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 122 comments Babtix. Thank you. I will PM you tonight. I was going to set one up this weekend, but spent it in bed sick.

message 45: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 500 comments Babitix wrote: "Do you have an gmail?."

You should have a edit access request from 'asmoghe17 at gmail dot com', Babitix. That would be me! :)

message 46: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 500 comments Sassafrass wrote: "@Apoorv, I liked the way you described "a good slow-burn romance". YUM.
What are some of your favorites? What about MM. I read MM but I'm not an exclusive MM reader."

Indeed YUM! I just love it when as a reader, you end up being frustrated and happy at the same time that the two lovers on the page are so in love yet unaware of it for a long time.

The last book that I read that was a brilliant slow-burn was a MM Romance, Leo Loves Aries. My all time favourite though is The Bridges of Madison County. I have not found a beautiful mature love story that tugged at every string of my heart as that book did. It kept on burning slowly in the night of undying romance.

Okay! Now I need to read a slow-burn! Damn it! ;=)

message 47: by Elena (new)

Elena  | 409 comments Thanks for setting up a spreadsheet Barbara! I sent you a request too. :)

Bookworm, so sorry to hear you're not feeling well, hope you get better very soon! And let us know if there's anything you need help with. :)

Thanks for recommendations, keep them coming please! :D I don't read romance often (my faves are speculative fiction, mysteries, young adult, general fiction) but when I'm in a mood for one I certainly enjoy a good love story.

message 48: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 122 comments I'm feeling much better! Thank goodness. I haven't felt like that in 15 years, it is not a common occurrence for me.

message 49: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 500 comments Sickness sucks! Hope you are taking enough rest, Plethora!
We are all here, so don't worry about this challenge!

Get well real soon! :D

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 110 comments HI everyone.

Plethora glad your feeling better. I've missed you ((hugs)) I'm with you as much as I want this to start I need to finish a few books so that I can finish a few challenges. RL has been pretty crazy and it's getting in the way of my reading time :( If only I can snap my fingers and change things.

I tend to read all types of genres. I wasn't so much of a big fan of historical but a little bird tends to recommend some to me and I quite enjoyed them. I really enjoy romance, mystery, fantasy and PNR and some erotic books as well. I love the slow burn as well even though it could drive me crazy. LOL I'm always good with recommendations.

I'll PM my gmail to you Babtix.

I still have so much to catch up on and hope tomorrow night I'll have time to do everything. Hmm, is there a way to add more hours to a day. LOL

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11