The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2017 > Team Rose Hathaway

Comments Showing 1-50 of 372 (372 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 22, 2017 09:19PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1345 comments
Team Rose Hathaway

Team Members:
♦ Poongothai (Captain)
♦ Laila (Co-captain)
♦ Cathy
♦ Dessiree
♦ Megan
♦ Noa
♦ Priyanka
♦ Ricka

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:44PM) (new)

“Ove feels an instinctive skepticism towards all people taller than six feet; the blood can’t quite make it all the way up to the brain.”
― Fredrik Backman, A Man Called Ove

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Apr 13, 2017 06:01PM) (new)

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Poongothai (last edited Mar 09, 2017 01:30AM) (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 559 comments Team Tracking Spreadsheet

Start time Countdown : Only books STARTED after the challenge begins can count.

Book Length :
- All books must be more than 100 pages in length.
- Childrens books or graphic novels need to be more than 25,000 words (verify using AR Book Finder)

Color Extractor tool

message 5: by Poongothai (last edited Jan 29, 2017 01:00AM) (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 559 comments Team Members Shelves

♦ Poongothai (Captain) : uno
♦ Laila (Co-captain) : uno2017
♦ Cathy : uno-2017
♦ Dessiree : uno-2017
♦ Megan : uno-2017
♦ Noa : uno-2017
♦ Priyanka : uno-2017
♦ Ricka : uno-2017

message 7: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 559 comments *

message 8: by Priyanka (new)

Priyanka | 73 comments hi all

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 134 comments Hi team! :)

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway Hi team mates! I've not played this before so I hope we have some experienced players to help us newbies : )

message 11: by Des (last edited Jan 23, 2017 04:31PM) (new)

Des (deslyn) | 198 comments Hi, team! I played Uno last year and it was such a blast. It was actually the first reading challenge I ever participated it. My team came in 3rd place, so this year I'm determined to win! :D

A bit about myself: my name is Dessiree, but you can call me Des, since it's easier to remember. I'm just shy of 1 month away from turning 29. I've been married 9 1/2 years and my husband and I currently live in central Florida. We have 2 cats and 1 pembroke welsh corgi. No kids yet, but we hope they're in the plans for us. I struggle with some medical problems, so I stay at home. I can be sick a lot of the time, so when I'm laying around in pain, reading is a good distraction and comfort. I read ALL sorts of genres from mysteries, to YA, to romance (not so much the Harlequin kind), to thrillers, to classic lit... and the list goes on. Some of my favorite reads from last year include The Girl Who Wrote in Silk, A Man Called Ove, Ugly Love, Ready Player One, Scarlet, and The Hike.

I can get a bit chatty with these team challenges, so I hope that's not going to bother anyone. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and embarking on this challenge together! :)

message 12: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 559 comments Hi team,

I'm Poongothai from India. This is my third UNO Challenge.

I'm a civil engineer by profession.
I'm married and I have 2 boys ( 4 and 1 year olds). My most read genres are romances and mysteries. When I'm not working or reading or playing with my kids, I crochet.

Cathy, its an easy and fun filled challenge and I'm sure you will get addicted to it as us.

I'm not very good at chatting. Hope Des will keep up our spirits with her talks.

I have created a tracking spreadsheet which is in msg #4.

message 13: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 559 comments Have any of you read Vampire Academy and do you know more about our group name Rose Hathaway

message 14: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 559 comments Do post a link to the shelves that you will be using for this challenge

message 15: by Laila Jane (new)

Laila Jane (axlilxlala) | 452 comments Hi everyone! Just checking in. I'm at work right now, so I'll introduce myself in the morning. Looking forward to playing with you all =)

message 16: by Des (last edited Jan 23, 2017 11:06PM) (new)

Des (deslyn) | 198 comments Poongothai wrote: "Have any of you read Vampire Academy and do you know more about our group name Rose Hathaway"

I own all the books, but haven't actually read them. I'm going to make an effort to read at least some of the series during this challenge. I feel it will be fitting. :)

message 17: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway I have not read it either, although it is on my TBR list.

message 18: by Cathy (last edited Jan 24, 2017 03:54AM) (new)

Cathy Galloway Here is the link to my shelf
Uno 2017

message 19: by ~~~N~~~ (new)

~~~N~~~ (chocolate-cannibal-bunnies) | 376 comments Hi, everyone! I'm Noa and this is my second year doing Uno. I live in the Northern Marianas Islands and I'm Australian.

I've read all the VA books, though it was years ago. Rose Hathaway is a sort of half blood (lower vampire/human) character. She's a teenager, has a long romance with an older warrior, and kills evil creatures. I'm not sure what more to say about her, except that she's loyal and ends up winning (like we shall, hopefully ;)).

I'm in uni at the moment. I have a cat and I'm aaaalmost a nurse. I read a lot of MM Romance and my deepest love is the genre of Epic Fantasy.

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 134 comments My shelf: Uno 2017

message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 134 comments I too own all the VA novels, though I've only read the first one so far and it's been awhile since I read it. Hope to read more of them during this challenge, since it seems fitting. :)

message 23: by ~~~N~~~ (new)

~~~N~~~ (chocolate-cannibal-bunnies) | 376 comments I don't own the books, but I'd be willing to read VA for one of the buddy read challenges.

message 24: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway I was looking at the "hands" we've been dealt and wonder what kind of strategy we should use. Do we finish one hand at a time or just fill in whatever we read until we start getting close to the end? I am getting anxious to start : )

message 25: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 559 comments We can fill in whatever we read and in the last week of the month, lets see what needs to be read to complete the hands in order.

message 26: by Priyanka (new)

Priyanka | 73 comments https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
That's my reading shelf for UNO-2017.
About myself now,
I am Priyanka. Am also a civil engineer from India. (Same pinch Poongothai ;) ). Married for 4.5 yrs, 1 kid (2.5 yr old). Working. Other hobbies - reading, knitting, crocheting, crafting, sewing, dancing, playing badminton.I usually read at night. I read fast. But there may be days when I wont be able to read. I do an avg of 2 books a month. I read all genres... YA, fantasy, mystery, magic, fiction, non-fiction, etc.
1st time UNO player. Do tell me how do you plan to take things ahead. What is expected from me?

message 27: by Priyanka (new)

Priyanka | 73 comments Do tell how to fill the spread sheet. An example maybe.

message 28: by Poongothai (last edited Jan 24, 2017 11:25PM) (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 559 comments Wow another civil engineer.

Our most used letters : Z,O,T,H,F,I,V,E,S,N,K,P. So if your book has a title, author, character or place with these letters, you post them or if the book is from a series tell its number

I have posted a sample book in our tracking sheet Team Tracking Spreadsheet

If you see, the book I posted works for 1, 4, 6 or skip.
This will help us in moving around the books to fill in our hands.

message 29: by ~~~N~~~ (new)

~~~N~~~ (chocolate-cannibal-bunnies) | 376 comments Talk about a coincidence. I don't know any civil engineers. What is it like?

message 30: by Priyanka (new)

Priyanka | 73 comments Hey why don't we list the books that we intend to read in Feb... That way we all could have an idea as to how we stand to do and also 2 people wont end up reading the same book. What do the others think? That way we'll get new suggestions also.

message 31: by Laila Jane (last edited Jan 25, 2017 02:11PM) (new)

Laila Jane (axlilxlala) | 452 comments Hi everyone! I'm back to introduce myself. This is my 3rd year playing Uno and 2nd to co-captain. I just got married in August, and hubby and I are expecting our first baby in April. We're also moving into our first house together next week, so I apologize in advance if my reading starts out a little slow. But Uno is my favorite favorite favorite team challenge, so I couldn't help myself and had to sign up! I work as a nurse during the night shift, so on my days off I can be found at home just reading in the middle of the night. I tend to stick to fiction, with romance being my favorite genre. I also like YA, paranormal, dystopian, and mystery.

I haven't read Vampire Academy, but it is on my TBR list. This might be my incentive to start reading it =)

In the previous teams I've been on, we tended to read whatever we wanted at the beginning of the month and saw where they fit, then closer to the end of the month we saw what spots needed to be filled and people just claimed the spots they could do.

Hi Des and Cathy! So happy we ended up on the team together again.

message 32: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway Hi Laila! Congratulations on the baby and the new house!!!

message 33: by Cathy (last edited Jan 25, 2017 04:49PM) (new)

Cathy Galloway Priyanka wrote: "Hey why don't we list the books that we intend to read in Feb... That way we all could have an idea as to how we stand to do and also 2 people wont end up reading the same book. What do the others ..."

I am good with that plan. I have most of next month's books already chosen because of other challenges anyway.

message 34: by Des (new)

Des (deslyn) | 198 comments Laila, congrats on the coming baby! It sounds like you've really got your hands full these days.

Last year I did a lot of planning for this challenge, so I'll do the same over the next week. I write down all of the books I need to or really want to read for the month and what cards they would work for. It makes it a lot easier to find books for any cards we need towards the end of the month.

message 35: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 559 comments Congrats Laila on the baby and the house.

message 36: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 559 comments We need one more member to join us. I have messaged her.

message 37: by ~~~N~~~ (new)

~~~N~~~ (chocolate-cannibal-bunnies) | 376 comments Congratulations, Laila! Do you know if the baby is a boy or girl?

message 38: by ~~~N~~~ (new)

~~~N~~~ (chocolate-cannibal-bunnies) | 376 comments I'm good with listing my reads before hand. Would you like it now?

message 39: by ~~~N~~~ (new)

~~~N~~~ (chocolate-cannibal-bunnies) | 376 comments Hello, Lib1191. Do you go by Lib, or another name?

What I'm reading in February: (view spoiler)

How is everyone's weekend going?

message 40: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway It is wet and cold here in Michigan, USA. Perfect weather for curling up with a good book :)

I read a lot of series books (always in order) so hopefully I will be on the numbers we need.

message 41: by Des (new)

Des (deslyn) | 198 comments Welcome to the team, Lib! :) It definitely looks like we have a quiet team this year, so I'll do my best to keep my chatting to a minimum.

I don't have my February planned books list done yet, but I'll be sure to post it for you all when I do. I do have the page in my bullet journal started. I just haven't sat down to look at my TBR shelf and decide what works for the challenge yet.

message 42: by ~~~N~~~ (new)

~~~N~~~ (chocolate-cannibal-bunnies) | 376 comments @Cathy, Well, it's really sunny here in the tropics, but definitely still a perfect time for reading :) have fun with your weekend books!

@Des, Feel free to be a bit more chatty. We can be chatty together hahaha

message 43: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 559 comments Welcome Ricka.

message 44: by Priyanka (new)

Priyanka | 73 comments Hi all... Just a few more hours and then we start......... \m/

message 45: by Poongothai (last edited Feb 01, 2017 12:52AM) (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 559 comments The challenge has begun.

message 46: by Laila Jane (new)

Laila Jane (axlilxlala) | 452 comments Thanks everyone, we're having a boy =)

message 47: by Laila Jane (new)

Laila Jane (axlilxlala) | 452 comments We have 7 Reverse cards for the month of February. For this task, someone needs to read a book that someone else on the team has already read. I can claim at least one of the spots. Would anyone else be interested in doing this one too?

message 48: by Megan (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 134 comments I can do 1 for reverse, but could probably do up to 3 if needed. :)

message 49: by Des (new)

Des (deslyn) | 198 comments I can do at least 1 reverse, but possibly more.

I'm currently reading Jinx by Meg Cabot and will be done later today.

message 50: by Cathy (last edited Feb 01, 2017 04:42PM) (new)

Cathy Galloway I can read 2 if needed.
Poongothai has a couple of books on her shelf that I planned to read this month anyway.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8