2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2017 > Joan's 2017 Goal of at least 52 books

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I usually read 40-45 so this will be a stretch for me this year.

message 2: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments So far for 2017 I have read 4/52
41 by George W. Bush
Persuasion by Jane Austen
Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly
City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

message 3: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I just completed Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology, by Leah Remini

Up to 5/52

message 4: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I have completed Born Standing Up: a comic's life by Steve Martin. I read somewhere that someone said it was a good audiobook to read since Steve Martin narrates it. I did like parts of it. I liked learning about his early comic routines and about his family growing up. Some of the other information wasn't as interesting.

6/52

message 5: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I just completed Bird in Hand, by Christina Baker Kline. I didn't hate the book. I rated it a 3 because it kept my interest up. I hated half the characters and thought they were awful people. It was an easy read but definitely didn't love it.

7/52

message 6: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments #8 of 2017 is complete. I read Essentialism by Greg McKeown. It was pretty good. Work gives us bonuses once a month for reading business books and this was a pretty good book to read. I will try to implement some of these strategies in my work and personal life.

8/52

message 7: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I completed the Boys in The Boat. It was a great audiobook. The reader drove me nuts at first but then I settled in with him and got used to his style. Very interesting story about the hardships of Joe and what he overcame along with some of the other boys. Definitely a good story that had me on the edge of my seat.

9/52

message 8: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I just completed The Book Thief. I really enjoyed the book. Getting ready to start The Perks of Being a Wallflower. That should be a quick read and much needed uplifting read before I start The Handmaid's Tale.

10/52

message 9: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments The Perks of Being a Wallflower was not uplifting. Deciding if I need a fun read before I dive into The Handmaid's Tale.

11/52

message 10: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I read The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere

I picked it for a challenge that had the category a Hugo Award Winner. I did like it. It was only 22 pages and I'll probably reread it because I didn't pick up on some things until after I read the reviews.

12/52

message 11: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments The Handmaid's Tale was a great book. I gave it 5 stars.

13/52

message 12: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I've completed the following Scrappy Little Nobody and Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined

I wasn't in love with either of them. Both had their moments of entertainment though.

15/52

message 13: by Joan (last edited Mar 25, 2017 08:33AM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I finished A Lucky Life Interrupted: A Memoir of Hope. I listened to it on audio. I was hoping it would have been his voice but it wasn't. I saw it on the library shelf and figured why not. I have a 45 min ride to work and I like to listen to non-fiction while driving. I only rated it 2 stars. The book ended up making me paranoid about getting sick and not having enough money to pay for it. He mentioned 50 million times that he had the best care because money wasn't a problem. He's a nice guy and he realizes that not many people are in his situation. He does seem worried about those who aren't in his situation.

16/52

message 14: by Joan (last edited Apr 04, 2017 04:25AM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I completed Carve the Mark. I rated it 3 stars. It was a solid read but not completely great. I'm starting on many group reads and buddy reads for this month which I'm excited about.

17/52

message 15: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I completed Hitler. It didn't tell me too much I already didn't know. I rated it three stars.

18/52

message 16: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I completed Wuthering Heights. It has been on my classics to read list for awhile. I'm glad I read it. The characters were definitely deplorable but interesting. That aspect kept me interested in the book.

19/52

message 17: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I read The Lightning Thief. It was a good read. The writing was light and funny in parts. I rated it 4 stars.

20/52

message 18: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I'm powering through some books in April. Being off a week helped and the rain is helping this weekend. I just completed It Ends with Us. I liked it. I rated it 4 stars. If you like Me Before You you'll most likely also enjoy it.

21/52

message 19: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin - I listened to this book on audio. It wasn't the information that I was looking to learn about living in Germany during that time. Dodd did stay till 1938 (I think that was the year he left). He tried to warn the US about what was going on over there and they didn't really listen. Learning all of that was interesting and about his daughter. They were there during The Night of the Long Knives and I guess I was looking for more stories like that. I thought that was the most interesting part about it. In the book you did get a sense of how Germany was changing from 1933-1938. There was one part I can't get over though where they listed the pieces of china they ordered for the house. I wanted to scream because the narrator was annoying enough and then when the pieces of china wouldn't stop I thought I was going to careen off the road into a big ditch I was so annoyed. I only rated it two stars and I wonder if I would've rated it higher if I read the book and not listened to the audio.

22/52

message 20: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I've read The Girls and A Wrinkle in Time. Neither of them were a favorite of mine. The Girls I was looking for a little more information on what happened after she had gotten caught up in the trouble. An extra paragraph would have been all that was needed.

A Wrinkle in Time I was always interested in reading. I read S.E. Hinton and Judy Blume but I can't remember really reading many other children's books. I think I skipped to adult books a little too early and missed out on some of the younger ones. That being said I didn't really enjoy A Wrinkle in Time. Maybe I would have liked it more if I was younger when I read it.

24/52

message 21: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I completed reading Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania. I listened to it on audio. I learned about a time period I previously knew nothing about which I found interesting. Now my interest has spiked to read more about Woodrow Wilson, WWI and Winston Churchill.

I'm currently reading Dark Matter and To Kill a Mockingbird. I'm hoping to complete them this weekend or at least within the week. My daughter has recital this weekend and my son had three soccer games this week so there hasn't been too much time for reading this week.

25/52

message 22: by Joan (last edited May 18, 2017 07:18PM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I really loved Dark Matter. I couldn't put it down once I got to the second half. It was a good sci fi thriller. I rated it 5 stars.
To Kill a Mockingbird was a great read. It was well written and the characters were awesome. I rated it 4 stars.

Next on my list are the following:Everything, Everything
The Grownup
Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose

I'm also listening to Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch on audio

27/52

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Good luck reaching your goal throughout the remainder of 2017, Joan!
I look forward to seeing what other books will make your "read" list :)

message 24: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I completed the following books over the weekend:
Everything, Everything
The Grownup
Anthem

I loved Everything, Everything. It had a twist I didn't expect. It was a fun light read.

The Grownup is a short story by Gillian Flynn. It wasn't as twisted as I thought it was going to be but it kept you guessing.

Anthem was a book written in the 1930's. It is a dystopian. I didn't connect to the characters. I'm glad I read it and it was an interesting concept but it didn't do too much for me.

30/52

message 25: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments For work I read Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose. The beginning part of how Tony Hsieh told about his failed businesses as a young child was hilarious. He had a lot of good ideas. Some of the businesses made it as a kid. He handed them down to his brothers to do when he got bored of the tasks.

I'm still listening to Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch on CD. 2.5 more to go out of 17 CD's. I've definitely learned a lot about the queen. This month I'm planning on reading the following books:
City of Glass
Cinder
The Great Gatsby
And Then There Were None

I'm excited about June.

31/52

message 26: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I completed listening to Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch. I thought it was very good. I also completed Cinder and The Great Gatsby. I rated all three of them 4 stars.

34/52

message 27: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments The Sun Is Also a Star I have finally completed. I liked the book a lot. It was just competing with me reading Cinder at the same time. I liked them both equally as much. The Sun is Also a Star made you think about how you affect everyone that comes in your path. It also gave you an insight on families living in the USA illegally and about the home that they have to return to when they are deported. It also tackled dating relationships between different cultures. With all of the issues it addressed I thought it was a really interesting and fun read.

35/52

message 28: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I completed City of Glass. I really liked the book but will be glad for a shorter book to read right now.

Planning on reading And Then There Were None next and A Man Called Ove came in on Overdrive. I think I've had it on hold for three months. I wasn't in a rush though since I had the other books to read. I'm hoping I can fit in another book or two in June as well.

36/52

message 29: by Joan (last edited Jun 25, 2017 01:08PM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I completed And Then There Were None and Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man. And Then There Were None was a fun quick read. It kept me guessing until the end.

I was interested in Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man because I've seen every Star Trek show (except for Deep Space Nine) and movie. I'm not a Trekkie by any means but always found the show and movies fun. It was a show ahead of its time by the way the cast was chosen that represented different countries and some of the made up technology that we now use today. It was a fun book narrated by Shatner. I learned a whole lot more about Leonard Nimoy and how he developed Spock. Nimoy's other projects were quite interesting as well.

38/52

message 30: by Joan (last edited Jul 20, 2017 06:08AM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I haven't posted in here for a little bit. I have read the following books since:

A Man Called Ove
The Witness for the Prosecution and Other Stories
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
Slaughterhouse-Five
The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo
When Breath Becomes Air
Scarlet

A Man Called Ove was great. I loved the characters. It was a fun and sad book to read. I rated that one 5 stars.

I wasn't impressed with Agatha Christie's short stories. I liked half of them. There were a couple I didn't get. I like her books much better. I rated that 3 stars.

Unbroken - where do you start with this book? I can't imagine living through all of that. I learned a lot too. 5 stars

Slaughterhouse-Five - Glad I read it. Not really my type of book. I did like a lot of parts in it. I rated 3 stars.

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo - I did find it funny. Something about revealing absolutely everything though doesn't sit that well with me. It's probably my age. I think it is great what she is trying to do for gun control after the shooting at one of her movies. She gave a lot of heartfelt stories about how she grew up. She has a big heart. 3 stars

When Breath Becomes Air - Great book - it didn't help with my impending doom feelings I acquired in my middle 40's BUT great lessons in the book. 4 stars

Scarlet - what a fun book! I even liked it better than Cinder. It was a page turner for me. 5 stars

I'm currently reading Life of Pi. I like the writing and how he does it makes it believable. I think it is a great story so far with a lot of insight.

45/52

message 31: by Joan (last edited Aug 13, 2017 07:07AM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I completed Life of Pi. The part on the raft sort of lingered on but the ending was amazing. I rated it 4 stars.

I also read City of Fallen Angels. It is the 4th one in the Mortal Instruments series. I only rated it 3 stars. I still enjoy the characters but feel I need a break from it for a little bit. I didn't enjoy this one as much as the last two in the series.

I read Glitches. It is a short story in the Lunar Chronicles series. I enjoyed the story. I rated it 4 stars.

I finally read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone! I enjoyed the book a lot. I thought the characterization of him wanting a family so bad was heartbreaking. It makes you really want to cheer for him.

For August I am reading:

Salt to the Sea - I have started this already and am enjoying it so far. I am doing this as a buddy read.
Cress - I am also doing this as a buddy read. I can't wait to dive in.
Little Women - another buddy read. I am finally going to read this classic.
The 5th book of the Mortal Instruments I am supposed to read as well but I am undecided at this point. It isn't counting towards a challenge and I want a break from this series.
I hope to also read The Time Machine and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

I probably will hit my goal for 2017 this month.

49/52

message 32: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I've hit #50! Salt to the Sea was a great read. I liked reading the historical fiction and then reading about the actual occurrence after I had completed the book.

My plan for August is still in progress. I'm reading Cress now and hope to continue with my order although All the Ugly and Wonderful Things just became ready at the library and on my ebook waitlist so I guess I have to sneak that in somewhere this month.

50/52

message 33: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I read Cress which I loved. All the Ugly and Wonderful Things was a nice surprise. I read it quickly. I also read Grit for work which I found very interesting and inspiring. Between the World and Me I listened to on audio. It was well written and very relevant. I just completed Little Women which took me forever. It really slowed me down this month but I'm glad I finally read it.

I'm looking forward to September and reading some more great books. I plan to read The Time Machine and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I didn't get to them last month. I'm also planning on reading Fairest and Winter

Oh and I surpassed my challenge!

55/52

message 34: by Joan (last edited Oct 01, 2017 07:21AM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments September was not a great reading month for me. I only read 4 books. I read Fairest. I really liked the backstory on Levanna in the Lunar Chronicles. I thought this was a good book. The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business, I read for work. This book was really interesting and helpful. I did it as an audiobook. The Time Machine, I found a lot different than I expected it to be. Wells had a lot of imagery in it where you could picture what he talked about. I didn't think he went that far in the future when he traveled into time. It was an amazing imagination and especially given what year it was written. Last but not least I read Winter. This book was over 800 pages and probably one of the reasons why I did not read as many books this month. I enjoyed it though. I'm sad that I have concluded the Lunar Chronicles.

59/52

message 35: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments October was definitely a better reading month for me than September. I read the following books:

Stars Above
Frankenstein
Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis
A Monster Calls
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
In a Dark, Dark Wood
Smarter Faster Better: The Secrets of Being Productive in Life and Business

The only ones I did on audio were Smarter, Faster, Better and Hillbilly Elegy. These weren't great books but I did learn something from each of them. The Harry Potter books were definitely fun to read this month. In a Dark, Dark Wood was disappointing. I thought I would have been more scared. A Monster Calls was a nice diversion. I read the illustrated book. The illustrations went really well with the book. This is one that I cried through a lot and will remember for a long time. Frankenstein was a nice surprise. I didn't realize how very much that it differs from the movies. It was very interesting.

67/52

message 36: by Joan (last edited Dec 02, 2017 09:51AM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments November was a so so reading month. I read the following books:

The View from the Cheap Seats: Selected Nonfiction
Big Little Lies
Norse Mythology
A Clockwork Orange
We Are Unprepared

The Neil Gaiman books I listened to on audio. Neither one was my favorite. I rated them both 2 stars. The only other book I read by him was The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I really enjoyed that one. I want to get around to reading his other fiction works. A Clockwork Orange was a book out of my comfort zone which was fun to read for that reason. I rated it 4 stars. We Are Unprepared was a fun read just because it was a book that no one has really read and I didn't know what to expect. I only rated it 3 stars though. Big Little Lies was a fun read and I binge watched the series afterwards.

I only have 3 books left for my Around the Year challenge. I'm currently reading Delirium which I'm finding an easy read. It is one of the teen dystopian types that my mid life crisis stage seems to enjoy immensely. For that challenge I only have See Me and The Alchemist left. Then I have some books to finish out the year on the 2016 Goodreads challenge. I don't know if I'll be able to finish that challenge but I'll have fun trying. It was sort of one I added mid year when I realized a lot of the books I read could fit it.

72/52

message 37: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Joan wrote: "November was a so so reading month..."

Still better than my November.... Read 1 (!) book and 1 travel guide :(

message 38: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I thought I would have finished a couple more in December but I read the following:
Delirium
The Alchemist
Pandemonium
See Me
A Sound of Thunder
Darker

I like the Delirium series although Delirium was much better than Pandemonium. I'm planning on reading Requiem soon. I wasn't impressed by The Alchemist although I'm glad I read it. See Me was a lackluster Nicholas Sparks book. A Sound of Thunder was a great short story. I really liked it. Darker I just read to complete the rest of the series. It pretty much was a waste of time. I don't know why I'm insisting on reading the rest of the books. I tried to finish up All the Birds in the Sky last night but I had too much continuing education to complete for work.

I read 150% of what I thought I was going to for 2017. It was a great reading year! I can't wait to start my 2018 list!

78/52 - final total

message 39: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Joan wrote: "I read 150% of what I thought I was going to for 2017. It was a great reading year! I can't wait to start my 2018 list!..."

Impressive Joan! Congratulations!!