Support for Indie Authors discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mellissa (new)

Mellissa | 48 comments Hi, when I'm ready to create the cover for my ebook, I was thinking a tactile cover. How would that be disigned for an ebook, or would that work best on the paperback edition?

message 2: by Lauryn (new)

Lauryn April (laurynapril) | 10 comments Maybe you could include a little more information on what you mean by tactile cover.

message 3: by Mellissa (new)

Mellissa | 48 comments A cover you can feel. A raised cover.

message 4: by Mellissa (new)

Mellissa | 48 comments Not sure what book covers look like, but couldn't there be a tactile representation of them?

message 5: by Lauryn (new)

Lauryn April (laurynapril) | 10 comments Mellissa wrote: "A cover you can feel. A raised cover."

That's what I was thinking, so obviously this wouldn't work with an e-book. But, maybe if you did that with your paperback you could just use an image of the cover.

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Hi Melissa. There are a few design options available to give the illusion of a tactile cover on an eBook. The most used is the embossed title. But as for the physical books, that's not an option offered through the major print on demand publishers that actually does physical embossing. I'm sure there are printers out there that would offer more expansive options, but I'm guessing they would not be cheap and you would have to buy a large run all at once.

message 7: by Mellissa (new)

Mellissa | 48 comments But that's not a cover you can feel, you have to look at that cover, right.

message 8: by Mellissa (new)

Mellissa | 48 comments Would a hot glue gun work to create the cover?

message 9: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Mellissa wrote: "Would a hot glue gun work to create the cover?"

If you're making them yourself, but I suspect that would be a rather large undertaking.

message 10: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments You could probably do a picture of a tactile cover, but in any case, it would not help the sight impaired. Touch screens don't have bumps on them. They are just that: a flat screen.

As for POD as far as I know, they don't do Braille. Maybe one day they will be able to accommodate everyone but that day isn't here yet.

So unless you want that kind of cover because it goes with your story, it would be a waste of money, it would do you no good on eBooks and unless you find a print company who does Braille, the cover would be a waste.

message 11: by Mellissa (new)

Mellissa | 48 comments Thanks guys.