Israel SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Book Discussions > Buddy Read – February 2017

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 218 comments Mod
The idea of the buddy read is that instead of all reading the same book we join together in pairs or small groups to discuss the books we are reading.

Towards the end of the month the mod sets up a thread where you list up to about 6 books you want to read the next month and if someone else sees a book they like they offer to be your buddy.

At the beginning of the month the mod in charge sets up separate discussion topics for each buddy read and the buddies start reading/chatting.
Each buddy pair/group can make their own decisions about when to read, pace of reading and spoilers.
As a courtesy if you want join in a discussion halfway through you PM one of the buddies or ask in the month's buddy thread.

message 2: by Esther (new)

In February I will be reading Disciple or On Basilisk Station.
Who wants to join me?

message 3: by Nimrod (last edited Jan 22, 2017 05:59AM) (new)

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 314 comments Mod
Usually I have some idea regarding what to read next, though I decide only after I finish reading a book. After I finish reading Theft of Swords it's very likely I'll go with A Darker Shade of Magic or Prince of Thorns, though there're few other books that I consider.

message 4: by Avi Feygin (new)

Avi Feygin | 6 comments The Harrington novels are great at least the first few

message 5: by Avi Feygin (new)

Avi Feygin | 6 comments On basilisk station is a classic and I greatly enjoyed the next few books in the series. Try vorkosigan if you enjoy it. A much better series. But similar

message 6: by Esther (new)

Avi wrote: "On basilisk station is a classic and I greatly enjoyed the next few books in the series. Try vorkosigan if you enjoy it. A much better series. But similar"

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually have the Vorkosigan novels on my TBR.
This is the thread for the buddy read so if you want to join anyone reading their chosen books in February just say. Or maybe you want to ask for a buddy for your planned February books.

message 7: by Simcha (new)

Simcha Lazarus (sclazarus) | 258 comments Mod
Esther wrote: "In February I will be reading Disciple or On Basilisk Station.
Who wants to join me?"

I'll do it. I've been meaning to try some David Weber for a while so this seems like a good opportunity. Disciple also sounds like it could be interesting but I'll have to see if I can get a hold of it.

message 8: by Esther (new)

Simcha wrote: "Esther wrote: "In February I will be reading Disciple or On Basilisk Station.
Who wants to join me?"

I'll do it. I've been meaning to try some David Weber for a while ..."

Great. At the end of the month I will set up a discussion thread for On Basilisk Station.

I have Disciple as a kindle edition. I think it is self-published or a small publisher - so easier to get hold of as an e-book.

message 9: by Nimrod (last edited Jan 24, 2017 12:49AM) (new)

It's nice that you're willing to try self-published authors. I'm interested in reading some self-published books (especially if I know the authors) and the premise sounds interesting, though Disciple doesn't seem appealing to me.

Have you heard of Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft? He has gained a huge momentum recently. His book has such a great reviews and according to his stats on GR in one year from now he'll be a household name.
Another book that I'm interested in reading is The Blood-Tainted Winter by Taya Kent. I haven't read any Norse-Fantasy novel yet and it seems like a nice book and her writing style is good. Besides, she's cool (so as Josiah) and there's a good chance that this book will be my next.
I plan on reading both books this year, though Josiah fares much better than Taya so his book can wait a few months.

message 10: by Esther (last edited Jan 24, 2017 07:06AM) (new)

Nimrod wrote: "It's nice that you're willing to try self-published authors. I'm interested in reading some self-published books (especially if I know the authors) and the premise sounds interesting, though Discip..."

Wool and The Martian started out as self-published so there are obviously some good ones out there.
When I worked from home I listened to a lot of Scott Sigler's podcast books. I don't find audio totally satisfying and ended up buying the dead -tree copy of The Rookie. It seems love of aliens won over my dislike of American Football!

Edited because I can spell in English!!

message 11: by Nimrod (last edited Jan 24, 2017 07:14AM) (new)

Esther wrote: " Wool and The Martian started out as self-published so their are obviously some good ones out there."

Yeah, there're some authors who made it - Anthony Ryan, Michael Sullivan, James Islington, Amanda Hocking and more. It has become a legitimate way for talented authors for big-scale success. The self-publish market is saturated because it's easy to become a self-published author and only very (very) few have enough talent, luck and effective strategy.

message 12: by Efrat (new)

Efrat | 35 comments I want to read:
1. Snow Crash
2. The Invisible Library
3. His Majesty's Dragon
4. Dust

Will love to have company!

message 13: by Esther (new)

Efrat wrote: "I want to read:
1. Snow Crash
2. The Invisible Library
3. His Majesty's Dragon
4. Dust

Will love to have company!"

The invisible library intrigues me but I think I am over-committed for February. (what's new!!)
Some great choices though.

message 14: by Efrat (new)

Efrat | 35 comments Well, I wont finish them all in a month... we can try again next month

message 15: by Esther (new)

Efrat wrote: "Well, I wont finish them all in a month... we can try again next month"

:)

message 16: by Esther (last edited Jan 31, 2017 10:45PM) (new)

Simcha wrote: "Esther wrote: "In February I will be reading Disciple or On Basilisk Station.
Who wants to join me?"

I'll do it. I've been meaning to try some David Weber for a while ..."

I will set up a separate thread for On Basilisk Station and we can decide our schedule.

ETA Here is the link to the thread
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 17: by Efrat (new)

Efrat | 35 comments Anyone want to join me to Snow Crash?