Israel SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Book Discussions > Themed Read – February 2017 – The Movies

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 218 comments Mod
The idea of the themed read is that instead of all reading the same book we all chose a book according to a theme.
Up until the beginning of the month we post which book we have chosen and why.
Once the month has started we can chat – using spoiler tags were necessary – about the book we are reading.

This month's theme is books that have been turned into movies

message 2: by Esther (new)

My choice is Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. Blade Runner is one of my favourite films and a sequel is scheduled to come out at the end of 2017.

message 3: by Lorelei (new)

Lorelei | 37 comments I'm happy to read 'Androids' again. I need to find a copy of the audiobook - I'm assuming there is one. Any recommendations?

message 4: by Esther (new)

Lorelei wrote: "I'm happy to read 'Androids' again. I need to find a copy of the audiobook - I'm assuming there is one. Any recommendations?"

I don't really do audio books but I think audible has the standard version.

message 5: by Simcha (new)

Simcha Lazarus (sclazarus) | 258 comments Mod
I think I'm going to go with Never Let Me Go
by Kazuo Ishiguro. I've been meaning to read it for a while and this seems like a good opportunity.

message 6: by Esther (new)

Simcha wrote: "I think I'm going to go with Never Let Me Go
by Kazuo Ishiguro. I've been meaning to read it for a while and this seems like a good opportunity."

I mistakenly gave that to my Mum while she was in hospital! It creeped her out a bit but she enjoyed it.
I wasn't so sure but I would still like to see the film.

message 7: by Efrat (new)

Efrat | 35 comments Snow Crash will start shooting this year!
Alternaly, I can talk about The Girl with All the Gifts, which I read a few month ago

message 8: by Esther (new)

Efrat wrote: "Snow Crash will start shooting this year!
Alternaly, I can talk about The Girl with All the Gifts, which I read a few month ago"

Tell us about both! You are not limited to only one

message 9: by Esther (last edited Feb 05, 2017 04:58AM) (new)

I have started Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and it has little in common with the film Blade Runner but it is really good.
I am finding PK Dick's writing style very easy to read and it is much less dated than other classic scifi I have tried.
He is deals with the tricky subject of the character's emotional reaction to androids without resorting to long tracts of inner dialogue. He lets the reader figure out the hypocrisy of Mercerism and the veneration of animals while androids and 'specials' are treated as disposable undesirables.

message 10: by Esther (last edited Feb 12, 2017 02:34AM) (new)

Well Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? was a pretty quick read and very enjoyable. I was just so surprised at how modern the writing seemed.
Also I kept forgetting that although it is a post-apocalyptic dystopia there is no authoritarian government so I was quite surprised when Buster Friendly (view spoiler)
And to be honest I didn't really understand what was going on with Mercerism. It seemed that (view spoiler)
I felt the story was complete but would have liked to read more in this world just to get a further insight into Mercerism and also to see how the humans progressed in their relationship with the ever evolving androids.

message 11: by Esther (new)

Efrat wrote: "Snow Crash will start shooting this year!
Alternaly, I can talk about The Girl with All the Gifts, which I read a few month ago"

Efrat how are your movie reads progressing? Are you enjoying them?

And what is everyone else reading from the movies?

message 12: by Efrat (new)

Efrat | 35 comments The Girl with All the Gifts was an unusual zombi book. I nornaly dont like horror, but this was a SF high class zombi book. No voodoo invoved! The parasite in the brain thing is actualy real, not for human thank god, but for ants https://www.scientificamerican.com/ar.... I remmember that I once read that the depth of cesspit is so that a behavior-affecting paracite wount crall out and infect people. Anyway, the book is facineting most of the time, with good charecter and relationships, for zombies espatialy. The movie https://youtu.be/eTUUoQ3FRLE looks very scary, I dont know if I have the nerves to see it.

message 13: by Esther (new)

Efrat wrote: "The Girl with All the Gifts was an unusual zombi book. I nornaly dont like horror, but this was a SF high class zombi book. No voodoo invoved! The parasite in the brain thing is act..."
That is interesting about the fungus, and kinda of scary in a too-close-for-comfort way.
The movie I will probably watch on the TV at midday when there is DH and lots of sofa cushions to hide behind!!
The girl with all the gifts was very popular with book clubs a little while ago. I am surprised so many mainstream readers were interested in a story about zombies.

message 14: by Efrat (new)

Efrat | 35 comments Whats march' theam?

message 15: by Esther (new)

Efrat wrote: "Whats march' theam?"

Actually I was hoping some one would offer to choose so we get some varied ideas.
Do you have a suggestion Efrat?

message 16: by Efrat (new)

Efrat | 35 comments In honor to the discovery of the 7 planents, I sugest we'll talk about books discovering or setteling new worlds

message 17: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 8 comments Excellent idea, Efrat

message 18: by Esther (last edited Mar 07, 2017 06:01AM) (new)

Agreed - I will set up a thread

Linky