Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2017 Plans > Perri's Picks DONE WOOT

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Perri (last edited Nov 14, 2017 02:58PM) (new)

Perri | 775 comments The 2017 List
✓1. A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2016 (link) When Breath Becomes Air 8/13
✓2. A book with at least 2 perspectives (multiple points of view)The Kind Worth Killing 3/12
✓3. A book you meant to read in 2016 Everything, Everything 4/10
✓4. A title that doesn't contain the letter "E"4321 4/3
✓ 5. A historical fiction News of the World (post Civil War, west) 1/20/17
✓6. A book being released as a movie in 2017 The Breadwinner Trilogy 3/21
✓7. A book with an animal on the cover or in the title The Perfect Horse the Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis by Elizabeth Letts 1/27
✓8. A book written by a person of color You Can't Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain 2/9
✓9. A book in the middle of your To Be Read list The Wonder
✓ 10. A dual-timeline novel This Must Be the Place 1/20/17
✓11. A category from another challengeThe Shipping News an award winning book 6/23
✓ 12. A book based on a myth Girl Meets Boy 7/25
✓13. A book recommended by one of your favorite authors Far from the Tree: Parents, Children, and the Search for Identity Recommended by Emma Donoghue, author of The Room 3/15
✓14. A book with a strong female character A Book of Bees: And How to Keep Them 5/11
✓15. A book written or set in Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland) Beartown 7/29
✓16. A mystery The Wild Inside 3/22
✓ 17. A book with illustrations Dare to Disappoint: Growing Up in Turkey (Graphic Novel) 1/12/17
✓ 18. A really long book (600+ pages) The Name of the Wind (662 pg)1/12/17
✓ 19. A New York Times best-seller Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis 5/3
✓20. A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading Nora Webster 5/3
✓21. A book that is a continuation of a book you've already read Night School 4/20
✓22. A book by an author you haven't read beforeThe Lowland 3/1
✓23. A book from the BBC "The Big Read" list (link) The Colour of Magic 2/21
✓24. A book written by at least two authors Orcas Intrigue: Book 1 of The Chameleon Chronicles Laura Gayle is the non de plume of two friends, Page and Berry 1/22
✓25. A book about a famous historical figure Hamilton: The Revolution 2/25
✓ 26. An adventure book The Wise Man's Fear 4/19
✓27. A book by one of your favorite authors Faithful 3/6
✓ 28. A non-fiction A Long Way Home 6/6
✓29. A book published outside the 4 major publishing houses (Simon & Schuster; HarperCollins; Penguin Random House; Hachette Livre) - check all the editions The Tsar of Love and Techno 5/8
✓30. A book from Goodreads Top 100 YA Books (link) All the Bright Places 7/19
✓ 31. A book from a sub-genre of your favorite genre The Good Wife: The Shocking Betrayal and Brutal Murder of a Godly Woman in Texas (true crime) 1/15/17
✓32. A book with a long title (5+ words, excluding subtitle) And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer 3/6
✓ 33. A magical realism novel The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow 9/22
✓34. A book set in or by an author from the Southern Hemisphere The Dry 7/16
✓35. A book where one of the main characters is royalty Princess Academy 5/15
✓36. A Hugo Award winner or nominee (link) The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere 7/16
✓ 37. A book you choose randomly Did You Ever Have a Family 11/14
✓38. A novel inspired by a work of classic literature Cinder 6/20
The Chilbury Ladies' Choir39. An epistolary fiction 9/23
✓40. A book published in 2017 A Surgeon in the Village: An American Doctor Teaches Brain Surgery in Africa 8/27
✓ 41. A book with an unreliable narrator The Butterfly Garden 3/18
✓ 42. A best book of the 21st century (so far) Middlesex 6/2
✓ 43. A book with a chilling atmosphere (scary, unsettling, cold) Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod 1/7/17
✓44. A recommendation from "What Should I Read Next" (link) The Greatest Game Ever Played 8/19
✓ 45. A book with a one-word title Austenland 5/26
✓ 46. A time travel novel Dragonfly in Amber 9/5
✓ 47. A past suggestion that didn't win (link) Bird Box (GroupPick) 5/29
✓48. A banned book Their Eyes Were Watching God 3/28
✓49. A book from someone else's bookshelf: Homegoing
✓50. A Penguin Modern Classic - any edition The Outsiders 9/27
✓51. A collection (e.g. essays, short stories, poetry, plays) Me, My Hair, and I: Twenty-seven Women Untangle an Obsession 4/25
✓52. A book set in a fictional location Dark PlacesKinnakee, Kansas 3/8

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 243 comments I'm so happy to see you here, Perri! I hope you have fun with it this year. It's a great group!!! :-)

message 3: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments Amy wrote: "I'm so happy to see you here, Perri! I hope you have fun with it this year. It's a great group!!! :-)"

HI Amy Still trying to figure this thing out. Do you have trouble re- finding your list ?

message 4: by Perri (last edited Mar 01, 2017 12:45PM) (new)

Perri | 775 comments January Update: Four five star books, I'm off to a great start. Difficult choice but The Name of the Wind is my favorite

February Update: Tough month. One DNF, one 2 star, one 3 star and only one 5 Hamilton: The Revolution Still, I'm four ahead of schedule for this challenge

message 5: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments March Update: Much better reading month. I read three unreliable narrator books and gave them all four stars. The Butterfly Garden, The Kind Worth Killing , and Dark Places. My favorite was Far from the Tree: Parents, Children, and the Search for Identity
I've read 22 books for the challenge and am 10 ahead of schedule. I read 12 books this month and four were side reads

message 6: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments April Update: Two Five star books this month Humans of New York: Stories and The Wise Man's Fear. My fav of the month TWMF. Five other four stars and one three.
I'm half way done -26 of 52 books!

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 243 comments Perri wrote: "Amy wrote: "I'm so happy to see you here, Perri! I hope you have fun with it this year. It's a great group!!! :-)"

HI Amy Still trying to figure this thing out. Do you have trouble re- finding yo..."

I did used to...you can post a link to it on your bio on your profile page. Thats what I have done the last while because I don't post much in these comment parts which is what bumps it to the top of the 2017 list page.

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. I stopped in to see how you were and saw this...You are killing the challenge! You will be able to maybe do another one like the Popsugar one after this...I wish I read as fast as others. Too many happy distractions lol

I've had some great reads so far though. I really enjoy these lists and finding books to fit as well as reading new found authors and genres.

message 8: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments Amy wrote: "Perri wrote: "Amy wrote: "I'm so happy to see you here, Perri! I hope you have fun with it this year. It's a great group!!! :-)"

HI Amy Still trying to figure this thing out. Do you have trouble r..."

That makes sense, thanks Amy. I really like how a challenge helps you look at your whole list -I keep getting distracted by the new shiny. ;)

message 9: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments May Round-Up

Ten books this month, no five stars, but plenty of really good ones. Stand outs were Bird Box eerie!, A Book of Bees: And How to Keep Them encouraging, The Humane Gardener: Nurturing a Backyard Habitat for Wildlife new ways of thinking

I'm at 33 books for the challenge

message 10: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments June Round-Up
Only 5 books this month, but two were five star and in contention for best of year.The Shipping News and Middlesex

message 11: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments June Round-UP
Seven books this month with two five star stand-outs also in contention for book of the year: Middlesex and The Shipping News

37 books for the challenge 71%

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2158 comments I really liked Middlesex. More than The Virgin Suicides.

I have The Shipping News on my TBR. This year I read Barkskins by Proulx. Good historical fiction.

message 13: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments Kathy wrote: "I really liked Middlesex. More than The Virgin Suicides.

I have The Shipping News on my TBR. This year I read Barkskins by Proulx. Good historical fiction."

OMG Kathy, I wasn't intending to read MS because I though VS was so... dumb? Teenage girls off themselves in a fit of pique? My book club picked it, and was reluctant, but boy was I glad afterwards. I was thinking of picking up Brokeback Mt. and will look into Barkskins-thanks!

message 14: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments July: 12 books this month, but some of them were short. My favorite of the month All the Bright Places for best YA prompt. Also five sad starts for Beartown the Scandinavian prompt. I read three more books for the challenge 42 out of 52-ten more to go!!

message 15: by Perri (last edited Sep 30, 2017 02:32PM) (new)

Perri | 775 comments August Round-Up:
Eleven books this month. Bel Canto was the only five star book, so my favorite. Six NF, one graphic novel and four F. I've slowed down on this challenge, so have to pick up the pace.

message 16: by Perri (last edited Oct 01, 2017 08:32AM) (new)

Perri | 775 comments September Reads: Eleven books this month. Two five stars to Lincoln in the Bardo and Desperation Road. If I h ad to pick on it would be Lincoln just for the creativity. Four were for the ATY challenge and have just two more to complete

message 17: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments October: No ATY challenges this month. With only two left I'm coasting. Eight side reads with two five star :The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing and People of the Book. People of the Book is my fav of the month. The Hole was the month disappointment

message 18: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments Finished my last two in November: Did You Ever Have a Family for random and Homegoing for other person's book shelf. Both five stars -great way to end the chalenge

message 19: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments Congratulations!

message 20: by Perri (last edited Nov 14, 2017 03:13PM) (new)

Perri | 775 comments Best Books of the ATY challenge:
The Shipping News Beautiful story, beautiful writing
Far from the Tree: Parents, Children, and the Search for Identity Changed the way I think
The Name of the Wind Epic fantasy come to life
Hamilton: The Revolution Actually it was this book plus the sound track that had me enthralled for weeks
Middlesex If pushed this is prolly my fav of the year

Disappointments:
Faithful I have high standards for Hoffman and this one let me down
Dragonfly in Amber LOVED the first one but we need to stay in Scotland
The Outsiders Seemed dated and clunky. Liked the star cast movie though

message 21: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
Middlesex was a fabulous story!! Congrats on finishing Perri!

message 22: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments Thanks Tracy and Silvia, it feels good :)

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2158 comments Congrats on finishing Perri. I'm reading The Name of the Wind right now and am enjoying Kvothe's time at the university.

message 24: by Bec (new)

Bec | 767 comments Congratulations on finishing!! What was your favourite book of the year?

message 25: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments Congratulations! Middlesex was a favourite of mine the year I read it too. Glad you loved it!

message 26: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Look at all those check marks! Well done! Hope you had fun and are looking forward to next year.

message 27: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Congrats :)
I also really enjoyed The Name of the Wind, I plan to read the 2nd next year.

message 28: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2491 comments Congrats! I had planned on reading Middlesex this year (and last year). Everyone seems to like it so I'm glad you did, too! I will move it up on my TBR list.

message 29: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments Kathy and Zaz, I also loved The Wise Man's Fear maybe just a little less than The Name of the Wind. I hope I'm still around when Rothfuss gets moved to writing the last one.

Bec, well the year is not quite over yet :) Another side read way up there is Bel Canto, but I think Middlessex is still my favorite. Pam for sure check if out!

Tammy, had so much fun and glad for the opportunity to pare down the TBR list and not get so distracted by the new and shiny

message 30: by Bec (new)

Bec | 767 comments Perri wrote: "Kathy and Zaz, I also loved The Wise Man's Fear maybe just a little less than The Name of the Wind. I hope I'm still around when Rothfuss gets moved to writing the last one.

Bec, we..."

Ohhh I will have to put Middlessex on my list.....

message 31: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Nice job Perri!!! I read middlesex a while ago and thought it was good maybe not as blown away as you were by it! But, i read Bel canto this year and was totally enthralled by that read. And I had heard of the far from the tree book but got little intimidated by its length I will add it back to my TBR! ;) I love books that shake up your world view!!

message 32: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments Kelly, Bel Canto was truly special! I heard there was an opera based on the book!

message 33: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Perri wrote: "Kelly, Bel Canto was truly special! I heard there was an opera based on the book!"

Oh yea I like that! Yea an Opera based on a Book! :) I also enjoyed her book Commonwealth a little more pedestrian but it was really good!!