What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > YA books on neglect and friendship

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) | 48 comments I'm looking for YA books with a character who was neglected in care and love by their parents, and then later grows an incredible friendship with a person who teaches them that they need to heal.. and maybe also learn to love. I know a lot of books now highlight abuse, but I'm looking for neglect. Antisocial too. Maybe MC can connect more to animals than humans and doesn't like human touch. All suggestions with these themes welcome.

message 3: by Cara's Craftsations (last edited Feb 04, 2017 05:05PM) (new)

Cara's Craftsations | 1686 comments Dorothy Must Die Amy's dad left his wife and daughter for another woman who was pregnant. Amy's mom just ignores her. Takes place in a dystopian Oz. She befriends a flying monkey and falls in love with an equally emotionally damaged Warlock.

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) | 48 comments Thanks, will check them out.

message 6: by Marie (last edited Feb 07, 2017 06:58AM) (new)

Marie | 276 comments Echoes of Scotland Street The main female character was attacked and her brother ended up in prison for what he did to her attacker. Her entire family blames her for what happened to her and for her brother being in prison. The book picks up long after the event and they are estranged, so the parents don't feature much but there is definitely a healing-from-the-past vibe with great friendships and new relationship.

Same thing with Moonlight on Nightingale Way where the brother I mentioned in the previous book is released from prison. The main female character is the one with the childhood of neglect, as her father didn't see much use in a daughter and put all his hopes in his son. And the mother is now going through something major and no one even bothered to call the heroine and tell her. That's how much they don't care.

They're technically New Adult or contemporary, I guess... but since what you're looking for is more about healing and abuse, I figured this qualified anyway. The sex scenes might be a bit more explicit, but that's really the only significant difference between NA and YA.

message 7: by Marie (last edited Feb 07, 2017 10:27AM) (new)

Marie | 276 comments Check out some books by Tijan.

Broken and Screwed & Broken and Screwed 2 the protagonist is a teenage girl who emotionally shut down after the death of her brother. Her parents total ignore and abandon her after his death and prefer their dead son's best friend to their own daughter.

Also, the entire Fallen Crest series starting with Fallen Crest High is filled with crappy parents, crappy step-parents and crappy secret biological parents who all inflict different levels of neglect on their kids.

Again, these books might be more NA than YA because the characters start out in high school but the series follow them into college and the sex scenes are very explicit.

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) | 48 comments Yeah that seems interesting. Thanks!

message 9: by Sophie (new)

Sophie R | 0 comments The Fill-In Boyfriend
This book is about seeing if the friends you have now are the right ones and finding the true friends. The parents aren't into feelings that much in this book so there is a little neglect there