Beta / Proof Readers discussion

Promote Your Service Blog Here > What defines a true writer?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sara Without An H | 12 comments Lovely writers, beta readers, and editors,

I don't pretend to be the authority on writing, far from it. I stumble as much as the next writer! However, in my experience as a beta I've seen the tremendous improvement of those willing to learn. That, I think, is what has allowed the Greats to become great.

Have a read if you are interested in what I have to say.

fabledoctor.com/blog

Sara.

message 2: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Luikert | 2 comments I think you have a fair point that authors need to learn, but is that only through feedback?

Sara Without An H | 12 comments If you read the article, you see I mention writing with purpose. Also, King mentions that authors must write and read. I'm a big advocate of reading in your genre to know your competition and see what's out there.

I've got a lot more to say on the issue, so I think a few more posts are in store.

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Adler | 7 comments I liked your post!

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Frediani Sara Without An H wrote: "If you read the article, you see I mention writing with purpose. Also, King mentions that authors must write and read. I'm a big advocate of reading in your genre to know your competition and see w..."

But not ONLY in your genre. While it's helpful to know your "competition," reading outside your own genre helps to make one's own writing more...full. Not sure I'm expressing it correctly. I write fantasy, but read romance, sci-fi, new adult, paranormal, non-fiction and yes, even fantasy. The wider your reading experience the more "resources" you have for your own writing.

message 6: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine (sunnyetalhotmailcom) | 19 comments You are so right about reading a bit of everything. I learn a lot when I venture into other genres. About what makes my genre unique, what it has in common with others, how writers in other genres handle characterization, plot, theme, dialogue, etc. Makes my own writing richer.

Sara Without An H | 12 comments Sunshine and Sandy, I completely agree with you! I think that is also something Stephen King mentions regularly. Every genre has something to offer, but I do think the biggest 'teacher' is critical feedback. Being well read does not necessitate growth as a writer.

Roughseasinthemed | 27 comments One author I know recently said she found something of value in all my reviews, ie not just of her books. I thought that was an interesting point. So reading around reviews is also a good pointer to good, bad and indifferent writing.