Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

I Will Follow To Eternity And Beyond
Book Cover Help > Book Cover

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ju (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 29 comments Hello, My book is set to be released on 1/31/17, I put it on GRs, including the cover, but the book has since received a 5* logo from Readers' Favorite and I would like to put that cover up there. Unfortunately, I got the message, only librarian can change covers. I did not want to put two covers up there, because it only confuses the reviewers. Also, the book is not available for sale anywhere, so no one has that cover but me. Do I up load the cover with the logo?

Thanks

message 2: by monika (last edited Jan 21, 2017 05:48AM) (new)

monika (lunafreya) | 132 comments I think we can delete the cover if the book was never released with the "old" one, INCLUDING ARC form. Given the fact, that i can see reviews for that book i guess some arcs was given away at some point to people so i guess alternative cover edition has to be created.

(tho i have strange feelings that arc was digital, so not sure if entry for the arc should be created instead)

message 3: by Ju (last edited Jan 21, 2017 06:07AM) (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 29 comments The ARCs are digital via InstaFreebie. No copies have been printed. Also, I'm not changing the cover, just want to put the one with the five star logo. Should I put it up there so you can see?
Well, I take that question back, it won't even allow me to upload another cover.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43535 comments Mod
Ju wrote: "The ARCs are digital via InstaFreebie."

But they went out with the cover before the five star logo was added. So we keep the original cover. However, since this was only sent out as advanced reader copies, this is the only instance where we move the ISBN.

The new edition is here, waiting for you to add the cover: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 5: by Ju (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 29 comments Thanks, Rivka. I've uploaded the cover. In the future, I will not upload a cover if I'm sending out ARCs. I have been able to update the cover on InstaFree with no problem.

This is very complicated. :)

message 6: by Ju (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 29 comments Ju wrote: "Thanks, Rivka. I've uploaded the cover. In the future, I will not upload a cover if I'm sending out ARCs. I have been able to update the cover on InstaFree with no problem.

This is very complicate..."

Hi Rivka, I don't know what I accomplished here, the cover without the label is still showing. I can only see the one with the label I uploaded when I click on the link you sent me; did I do this incorrectly?

Thanks

message 7: by Ju (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 29 comments oh, oh, I figured out how to update it. phew!

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Ju wrote: "In the future, I will not upload a cover if I'm sending out ARCs."

That's fine, but users who receive the ARCs (or librarians who find listings for it) may still add that edition. Authors are not the only ones who can add books and editions to Goodreads.

Ju wrote: "I have been able to update the cover on InstaFree with no problem."

Goodreads is a database, not a sales or distribution site, so we aim to have all editions of a work, not just the one(s) currently available.

message 9: by Ju (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 29 comments Hi Rivka, After I went through all the trouble of having you help me with my book cover, now, someone has created a new listing with the book cover. What do I do now?

Thanks

message 10: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments The newly added edition is a Kindle edition. Combined with the ebooks: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 11: by Ju (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 29 comments There's a difference between Kindle and ebook? Isn't it one and the same? My book should have two edition, paper and ebook. No one should be allowed to create listing for a book that's already listed. This is wrong, and creates problems all around.

message 12: by Ju (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 29 comments Ju wrote: "Hi Rivka, After I went through all the trouble of having you help me with my book cover, now, someone has created a new listing with the book cover. What do I do now?

Thanks"

There's a difference between Kindle and ebook? Isn't it one and the same? My book should have two edition, paper and ebook. No one should be allowed to create listing for a book that's already listed. This is wrong, and creates problems all around.

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6188 comments Yes..kindle is the amazon format and ebook the format from other booksellers

message 14: by Ju (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 29 comments but why would someone create a new listing of my book when it was already up there. It was a Kindle cover that was there. The Kindle book is still not live until the 31st. Who has such an interest in my book more than me? I'm asking because this is wrong and creates confusion.

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Ju wrote: "There's a difference between Kindle and ebook?"

If published via Amazon, it's a Kindle edition and has an ASIN. If published almost anywhere else, it's an ebook and has an ISBN (usually).

Ju wrote: "but why would someone create a new listing of my book when it was already up there."

The new edition was created by an automated process that imports book data from Amazon to Goodreads, what we often refer to as a "bot".

message 16: by Ju (last edited Jan 30, 2017 03:45AM) (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 29 comments Thanks for the explanation, Rivka. I've never had that experience before, but then I never paid attention. I always noticed there were two versions, on my other books; in my stupidity I thought it referred to the print version and the ebook version. I didn't realized Amazon created their own listing. I thought I had a choice to authorize this. I know I never did, but apparently I really have no choice in the matter. That decision has been taken from me. So, now that I had to put the cover with the five star label, I have three versions on a book that has yet to go live.

Thanks again for the clarification.