Reading 1001 discussion

The Inheritance of Loss
This topic is about The Inheritance of Loss
Archives > February 2017 BOTM - RESULTS

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new) - added it

John Seymour No mystery on the Popular Vote Winner - The Inheritance of Loss took an early and commanding lead and nobody else ever came close. The Weighted Vote Winner, however is a different story. Six or seven books were in the running and jostling for position during the voting. In the end three books tied: Moll Flanders, Dom Casmurro and Nervous Conditions. The three of them were tossed into the Randomizer (which sadly did nothing for Nervous Conditions's nervous condition) and the Randomizer chose Dom Casmurro. Moll, Nervous and the other 22 books that received votes were dumped back into the Randomizer which chose Nervous Conditions as the Random Selection.

To recap, then our February 2017 BOTMs are:

Popular Vote Winner - The Inheritance of Loss, by Kiran Desai

Weighted Vote Winner - Dom Casmurro, by Machado de Assis

Random Selection - Nervous Conditions, by Tsitsi Dangarembga

So what are your reading plans for February? Will you be reading one or more of our BOTMs? Contemplating idiocy? Slogging through the body count in Three Kingdoms? Let us know.

Diane  | 2044 comments I will definitely be reading Dom Casmurro and Nervous Conditions. I will pass on Inheritance of Loss since I wasn't that crazy about it the first time I read it. I read The Idiot last year, so I won't be re-reading it, either. I need to start on the Three Kingdoms soon.

message 3: by Patrick (new) - added it

Patrick Robitaille | 935 comments Considering the inauguration you just had in Washington, contemplating idiocy seems like an option...

However, I will delve into The Inheritance of Loss, thus freeing 2.2cm off my TBR shelf (the .2 is dust). I will discover Dom Casmurro, but shall leave the Nervous Conditions aside as I have dealt with them before. I will also start this Chinese Game of Thrones that is the Three Kingdoms, as well as dealing with the second Labour of Hercules, which I shall post in the next few days.

message 4: by Kristel (new) - added it

Kristel (kristelh) | 4116 comments Mod
I have Inheritance of Loss so maybe I will get to that this year but not sure that it will actually happen in February. Too many other books to read and I've always struggled to get into that book.

Dom Casmurro is a little hard to locate. If you read Portuguese you can get a kindle for 99 cents. I did find it at MnLinks so ordered it.

I read Nervous Conditions already and it is a great book.

I am reading the Idiot but taking periodic breaks to read other stuff.

Tracy (tstan) | 558 comments I've read Inheritance of Loss and Nervous Conditions, and both were great, but no rereads for me. Looking forward to Dom Casmurro, getting The Leopard done and The Idiot. (That's the one by Dostoevsky, not the one in Washington, Patrick, in case you're wondering) :)

message 6: by Anita (last edited Jan 21, 2017 06:45AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 166 comments I have to say that all three of these books really appeal to me, but I'm going to go with Dom Casmurro since I voted for it!

As Kristel pointed out, it was challenging to find, and I had to pay $9.99 for the Kindle edition (via Amazon) which seems a little steep when it is available in Portuguese for $0.99. Inheritance of Loss was tempting since the ebook was available through Overdrive . . .but trying to just stick to one book per month so I can read some other books as well!

message 7: by Sushicat (new) - added it

Sushicat | 292 comments I'll try Nervous Conditions again since I put it on the shelf last year. Currently enjoying Il gattopardo, looking forward to the next herkulean task.

message 8: by Sushicat (last edited Jan 21, 2017 07:40AM) (new) - added it

Sushicat | 292 comments https://www.amazon.com/Dom-Casmurro-M...

I found a cheaper English kindle edition of Dom Casmurro. Within a few days you can cancel the purchase and switch to this one.

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 166 comments Sushicat wrote: "https://www.amazon.com/Dom-Casmurro-M...

I found a cheaper English kindle edition of Dom Ca..."

Thanks!! I will try to do that. Greatly appreciated.

message 10: by Anita (last edited Jan 21, 2017 08:13AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 166 comments Sushicat wrote: "https://www.amazon.com/Dom-Casmurro-M...

I found a cheaper English kindle edition of Dom Ca..."

Argh, so when I clicked on the Kindle version, it took me to the Portuguese one. And I returned the other, lol. Hopefully I can get it back!! I do appreciate your efforts to help me. That posting was very misleading . . .

message 11: by Sushicat (new) - added it

Sushicat | 292 comments Anita wrote: "Sushicat wrote: "https://www.amazon.com/Dom-Casmurro-M...

I found a cheaper English kindle ..."

The cheaper English version is bundled with the Portuguese one. But if you display all versions, there should be two visible. One for about 1 dollar which is the Portuguese one and another for about 5 dollars with a bird on the cover whic is in English.

message 12: by Kristel (new) - added it

When I go there, the English version with bird shows but to the right it states, Kindle version no longer available. So will stick with the MnLink one I requested.

message 13: by Anita (last edited Jan 21, 2017 09:21AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 166 comments Here is the one I ordered in case anyone else needs it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...

Also, it looks like I can loan this book to anyone I choose. I've never noticed that before on a Kindle book. So happy to loan it once I've finished it.

message 14: by Pip (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pip | 1411 comments Could you Dropbox it, Shuva, that would be great!

message 15: by Pip (last edited Jan 21, 2017 05:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pip | 1411 comments I will definitely read Nervous Conditions because I have a copy, and Dom Casmurro if I can track it down. My interloan of The Lion of Flanders only arrived yesterday so I will have to read like crazy to finish that. I may dip into The Inheritance of Loss because of the negative comments and I remember loving it. I haven't reviewed the two January books I have previously read and yet to start Jack Maggs so I am already behind!

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1248 comments Mod
Like Pip I am already behind. I am knee deep in 3 books. I will read Patrick's challenge selection, participate in discussion of Nervous as I have already read it and read Dom if I have time. I hope to finish The Idiot in February and a biography of Alexander Hamilton that I am slogging through.

message 17: by Sushicat (new) - added it

Sushicat | 292 comments Kristel wrote: "When I go there, the English version with bird shows but to the right it states, Kindle version no longer available. So will stick with the MnLink one I requested."

Well, that's a first. Normally it works the other wayaround. I was able to purchase it.

message 18: by Kristel (new) - added it

Lucky you, too bad I hadn't tried harder when I got up at 5:30 am but I didn't and so I was too late. It was a great deal.

message 19: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 166 comments Thanks for the tips, Sushicat! I will try again.

message 20: by Pip (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pip | 1411 comments Thank you so much, I see it.

message 21: by Pip (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pip | 1411 comments Dom Casmurro, didn't check autocorrect before!

Paula S (paula_s) | 220 comments I didn't like Inheritance of loss so I'm not sure I still have it. I might have to reread if I can find it to see if I still don't like it. Nervous Conditions I have and will read. Dom Casmurro I can find easily in translation so that's a maybe.

I'm currently reading The Leopard, so I will try to read the next labour as well. I'm still waiting on The three kingdoms, book 1, but as soon as it gets here I'll give it a try.

message 23: by John (new) - added it

John Seymour I hope to finish the Idiot this month, so should be able to dive into Three Kingdoms in February, and maybe even start into the BOTMs that I'm already behind on. And the next Labour, of course.

message 24: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
John wrote: "No mystery on the Popular Vote Winner - The Inheritance of Loss took an early and commanding lead and nobody else ever came close. The Weighted Vote Winner, however is a different stor..."

hmm, I have already read Nervous Conditions and not all that excited about Inheritance of Loss. My primary goal is to make my way through Infinite Jest so I can write the discussion questions after having read the book.

I also just got the annual read in the mail so I will be starting that. Then time permitting, I'll try to get to Dom Casmurro. I just read Brothers K so will probably delay the Idiot to next "season" when others are reading Infinite Jest

Judith (jloucks) | 86 comments I read and enjoyed Nervous Conditions, but I'll tackle the other two!

MaryAnn (EmilyD1037) | 1 comments I am so thrilled to see 2 books I have made the list, so I will try to read The Inheritance of Loss and Nervous Conditions.

message 27: by Kristel (new) - added it

Shuva wrote: "will try to read both Nervous Conditions and DC. I've read IOL and couldn't get into it. May give it another go.
Reading Jack Maggs right now and thoroughly enjoying it.
Was it Kristel who really..."

No I voted for it and the reason it made it in the randomizer. I will be reading it later this year so glad to hear it is good.

MaryAnn (EmilyD1037) | 1 comments Shuva, could you email me the link?

MaryAnn (EmilyD1037) | 1 comments Thank you, Shuva. I did receive the emails.

message 30: by Becky C (new)

Becky C Shuva wrote: "Pip wrote: "Could you Dropbox it, Shuva, that would be great!"

It's in the dropbox as Dom Casmurro. I've also emailed you a link. Anyone else wants me to email a link let me know."

Could I have a link as well, Shuva? I'd like to read Dom for Feb.