Reading #52books2018 discussion

How's Everyone Doing?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Bailey | 5 comments Just wondering how everyone is getting on - not in the sense of how many books have been read but rather whether reading habits have changed as a result of taking part in this challenge? I have noticed that I am prioritising reading in a way that I wouldn't have allowed myself before. Instead of seeing reading as a luxury that takes place when I am 'free', I am actively creating space to read, which feels nourishing on many different levels.

message 2: by Remus (new)

Remus | 21 comments Just finished number 7. Nothing has changed for me - I inhale books and always have. I still waste too much time pratting around on the internet etc, but always have an hour's reading a day as a minimum, without fail.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren B | 7 comments I've been reading a lot more- I've fallen back in love with reading and choose it over other activities- mostly time wasting on my phone and reading before bed.
Just finished book 7, started book 8 and have got book 9 ready and waiting!

message 4: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Bedford | 30 comments I've been reading more. ..but am still on Book 3....
and talking obsessively about reading with my learners. ..

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (misshhale) | 3 comments I'm now on book 8 and I am struggling to put it down, 'Wonder' is my favourite one by far!

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 14 comments Book 9 - but I always try to read as much as I can

message 7: by Janette (new)

Janette | 7 comments I am actually trying to read less as I seem to be not doing anything else in the evenings at the moment. On book 11 now but that doesn't include a couple of cheap buys on the kindle.

message 8: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Richardson | 8 comments I'm on book 8, always read a lot though so nothing changed for me.

message 9: by Alice (new)

Alice Brewer | 6 comments I'm only on book 4 having got really bogged down in a bad one! Annoyingly it was a very short one too! I've also decided to try and read the Bible this year, which is something I've been meaning to do for a while. It's starting out well with lots of stories, but I know I'll get onto some dull bits soon! So doing it at the same time as other books as well.
I'm definitely thinking about reading more!

message 10: by Claire (new)

Claire Hadfield | 2 comments On book 3, as the Richard Coles one took ages and didn't really grip me. Ordinarily, I would have just dipped into it, but I hate giving up on books, so ploughed on.
Now on Julian Barnes' The Noise of Time, which is much more my kind of thing, but challenging myself is good!
I found that removing the Facebook app from my phone means I am choosing to read instead of aimlessly scroll.

message 11: by Deb (new)

Deb Prins | 2 comments I'm on book 7. I completely agree with you Jenny, I am making reading a priority rather than something to squeeze in when I'm not busy doing other things. I also like the fact that the list of the books I have read is there for me to see; I often forget what I have read so this is great for me.

message 12: by Mathew (new)

Mathew (mat_at_brookes) | 28 comments I hope you all don't mind me saying but reading everyone's reading experiences has been fascinating. The group and seeing people's reading progress on Goodreads has really helped me get a point where I find myself reading for 30 minutes every night without fail. So thanks everyone for this support (without possibly being aware). I love reading but like Remus, have found that I prattle on the net too much. I'm on a few more books but a lot of them are picturebooks so I try to discount them.

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Bailey | 5 comments Good to hear how everyone is getting on. I am finding that as well as reading more, I am also buying significantly more (the staff at my local Oxfam Books are beginning to recognise me). Just finished 'The Complete Polysyllabic Spree' by Nick Hornby, in which he charts both his book reading and buying - the perfect accompaniment to this challenge.

message 14: by Remus (new)

Remus | 21 comments Just finished number 10 & bored by the three I'm currently reading, to the point I may not bother with them. :(

message 15: by Mathew (new)

Mathew (mat_at_brookes) | 28 comments Remus wrote: "Just finished number 10 & bored by the three I'm currently reading, to the point I may not bother with them. :(" The Rights of the Readers states that it's fine to stop reading something you're not enjoying. Started doing this so much with films!

message 16: by Claire (new)

Claire | 6 comments I'm on book 5. Still finding I'm not reading at all during a school week, all been weekend/holiday reads! I struggle to read something in short sections - I need a long stretch of time to read at least half a book at once. Need to start practicing reading a half hour before sleep each night!

message 17: by Mrs G (new)

Mrs G | 3 comments I've decided to read children's books in term time and 'grown up' stuff in the hols. It's easier to read kids stuff when I'm knackered! Managing to read every day before I go to sleep and sneaking in more when I can. I need a longer stint to get into an adult book (not THAT sort of adult book!!). Loving hearing what everyone else is reading and getting recommendations.

message 18: by Mathew (new)

Mathew (mat_at_brookes) | 28 comments Yes, the reading thirty minutes before bed ( not in bed) helped me build up the stamina and desire

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 4 comments Think I'm on book number 8 at the moment and loving every minute. of course. Like a lot of you. I'm trying to keep a balance between adult and children's literature. I tend to mainly read children's books during DEAR time at school but do read some during my own time as well. As always, every spare moment is filled with reading but this is nothing new to those who know me well. Maybe I should try to limit myself to 30 minutes before sleep. Unfortunately I become resentful of the need to go to sleep as it interferes with my reading. My reading list grows ever longer as I add to it from the recommendations of others.

message 20: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 14 comments Morttel wrote: "I am absolutely loving what the challenge is doing for my reading. I'm finding time I didn't realise I had - ten minutes waiting for the train, five minutes at break, longer than that whenever I ca..."

That's what I'm doing - bit on the way to work, bit at lunchtime etc

message 21: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 14 comments Half way through my 12th book and enjoying every minute

message 22: by Freya (new)

Freya | 5 comments I am on book 3 - work is mental and so I'm sleeping when not working.

message 23: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (radley_and_me) | 6 comments I've just finished book three. Definitely reading more than I did.

message 24: by Remus (new)

Remus | 21 comments Have read ten and now slowed down because I'm bored with 2 of them and two are pretty heavy non-fic.

message 25: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Bedford | 30 comments I'm still on number three but definitely reading more so trying to enjoy it and not feel behind!

message 26: by MrBReads (new)

MrBReads | 3 comments Done 7, plus two picture books so far! Post reviews on blog (link @MrBReading twitter), but fave so far is probably 'Cogheart' by Peter Bunzl!

message 27: by Clare (new)

Clare | 5 comments I feel like I'm behind everyone here! But considering I only read 6 books all of last year, I'm doing well to have read 5 already for 2017! Thanks to this challege and the sense of accountability it gives me, I'm rally motivated to keep going. Also, I'm realised how much I'd missed reading!

message 28: by Clare (new)

Clare | 5 comments Jenny wrote: about"'The Complete Polysyllabic Spree' by Nick Hornby, "
Thanks for the tip - will put it on my list!

message 29: by Mathew (new)

Mathew (mat_at_brookes) | 28 comments love your comment so much Clare. That's how I feel too. Started a little book club in a different thread too for a little direction. not sure how it will go

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissacreate15) | 2 comments Thanks to a few great reads, some fantastic Barrington and Stoke shorter reads and some new picture book I have discovered with my son I am now back on track. Clare the longer reads that I actually finish are ones I absolutely love. But, it is the heart felt shorter reads that are keeping me reading.

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissacreate15) | 2 comments ps I think for the decade prior to mid 2015 I had probably read only a dozen books in total for the previous decade, everyone has to start somewhere!

message 32: by Mathew (new)

Mathew (mat_at_brookes) | 28 comments Indeed, Melissa. I read intermittently but do more now that I am hearing recommendations from others. Also, watching other readers progress (on Goodreads) doesn't put me off but rather spurs me on.

message 33: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (bookandbeergeek) | 8 comments A copy of The Complete Polysyllabic Spree just arrived for me yesterday! Hadn't read the recommendation in here - how funny!

I'm on book 10. I'm trying not to choose short books deliberately, but this does seem to be happening... I've got We Should All be Feminists - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie saved up for a busy week ;-)

message 34: by Graham (new)

Graham | 9 comments KIte Runner. Just finished. Wow.

message 35: by Remus (new)

Remus | 21 comments Kite Runner v good. Such a pity that his others are dreadful.

I'm on book 15. For some reason though, my total is higher because it's counted one of my books 3 times! Anybody know how I change this?

message 36: by Anoara (new)

Anoara | 3 comments Great thanks. Still in the process of working out how to use this site.

message 37: by Graham (new)

Graham | 9 comments reading fluctuates between lots during holidays and less during term time. love the idea of inhaling books!

message 38: by Nic (new)

Nic | 4 comments I'm on book 7 and I'm loving this challenge. I've always read a lot but I have found that this has made me prioritise it in a way that I haven't before. The shift from having time to making time has been great!

message 39: by Lauren (new)

Lauren B | 7 comments I'm reading more and more and can't wait to share my recommendations with my class and others! I'm having a whole school assembly about reading next week to launch a few reading incentives and tell the chn to look after all the lovely new books!

Going to tell them to come and find me in school or come sit with me at lunch to talk books and share recommendations!

I forgot how much I love reading and am loving the recommendations for kids books on here. I never used to read kids books and now I have a to read list longer than my arm!

message 40: by Mathew (new)

Mathew (mat_at_brookes) | 28 comments Lauren wrote: "I'm reading more and more and can't wait to share my recommendations with my class and others! I'm having a whole school assembly about reading next week to launch a few reading incentives and tell..."

I really enjoyed reading this Lauren. That's the joy I got from reading too. If I was in my class now, I would be doing a whole school intro to Goodreads to parents and telling them to follow me so that they get regular updates on good books. I used to update and send home a working booklist but this is way more versatile.

message 41: by Mathew (new)

Mathew (mat_at_brookes) | 28 comments Anoara wrote: "Great thanks. Still in the process of working out how to use this site."

Always happy to help if you have any questions. Still going through a big learning curve but getting a greater understanding each day

message 42: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Szladicsek | 2 comments I've just finished book 2 and half way through American Gods (weird but good so far). I'm hoping to get more reading in when I go off on maternity leave soon but think I may be a bit optimistic there! Well done everyone

message 43: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Bedford | 30 comments Just finished UnLunDun ... book 3. am reading in snatches of time, usually with breakfast.
now...do I finish my half read books or start something new?

message 44: by Jo (new)

Jo Gosling | 1 comments Reading mostly children's books as most of parents' evening was encouraging reading more widely, and with that came requests for recommendations! Just finished 'The Wolf Wilder' which was an absorbing story and now reading 'The girl of Ink and Stars' which also looks set to be a good' un. Ditched the kindle for children's books which has made me realise how much I missed handling a proper book and the satisfaction of closing the cover on the last page!

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Joannides | 3 comments This challenge has made me fall back in love with reading for pleasure . Am onto to book 11 - The Goldfish Boy. Have read some books so that I can specifically recommend them to reluctant readers. "Miss thought I might like this book " is proving to be very powerful and I'm struggling to keep up with requests for suggestions. My local Oxfam is my lifesaver!

message 46: by Mathew (new)

Mathew (mat_at_brookes) | 28 comments there are a fair few people now who are saying that they're enjoying reading and reading more than ever. This is just fantastic stuff. If you're on Twitter, please do give me a wave! (I can't quite make the connection between people on Goodreads and Twitter)

message 47: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 14 comments Enjoying a long overdue re-read of all the Honor Harrington books - 22 books read so far this year!

message 48: by Lisa (last edited Feb 19, 2017 02:29PM) (new)

Lisa Coe | 1 comments Hi all! I'm finding that I'm reading a greater range of books. I'm on my fifteenth, and as well as my usual detective fiction I've read more children's literature and am reading my first collection of short stories in living memory. The hashtag has led to a very long Kindle wishlist!

message 49: by Kath (new)

Kath | 3 comments I'm on number 12 - have found that trying to sort out the spare room has led me to rediscover some old favourites so the Belgariad series by David Eddings are the next 5 for me.

message 50: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 14 comments Just finished book 29 - Ready Player One - such a good read - glad I finally got round to reading it

« previous 1