Cruisin' thru the Cozies Reading Challenge discussion

2017 Level 2 (Investigator) > Pamela's 2017-Investigator Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) Hello, hello!! I am new to the group, and was invited by my friend, Britney :) I also see that another friend of mine, Betsy, has joined the group.

Looking forward to joining in this Investigator Challenge. I have lots of cozies to catch up on. I will be setting up my challenge shortly.

message 2: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 650 comments Mod
So glad you decided to join. You think you have a lot of cozies to read now just wait. Lol.

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (smmolloy1105) | 329 comments Pamela wrote: "Hello, hello!! I am new to the group, and was invited by my friend, Britney :) I also see that another friend of mine, Betsy, has joined the group.

Looking forward to joining in this Investigator ..."

Welcome, Pamela! I'm glad you decided to join us! We all love cozies and I can guarantee that your TBR will grow and grow. Happy Reading!

message 4: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Welcome, Pamela! Britney and Shannon are so right about your TBR.

message 5: by Pamela (last edited Mar 03, 2017 02:06PM) (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) 1. One from culinary (anything dealing with food: restaurants, baked goods, etc.)

A Sheetcake Named Desire by Jacklyn Brady - 3 stars

message 6: by Pamela (last edited Apr 23, 2017 04:57PM) (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) 2. One from animal related (cats, dogs, birds, etc.)

Muzzled by Eileen Brady - 4 stars

message 7: by Pamela (last edited Jun 10, 2017 11:05AM) (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) 3. One from craft related (any kind of hobbies - knitting, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.)

Hooked on Murder by Betty Hechtman - 2 stars

message 8: by Pamela (last edited Jul 21, 2017 08:54PM) (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) 4. One from paranormal (witches, vampires, etc.)

Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti by Bailey Cates - 4 stars

message 9: by Pamela (last edited Jul 21, 2017 09:00PM) (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) 5. One from British cozy mysteries (example: Belinda Lawrence series)

The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley - 4 stars

message 10: by Pamela (last edited Jun 10, 2017 11:10AM) (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) 6. One career-based cozy mystery (housekeeping, wedding planner, etc.)

Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon by Donna Andrews - 4 stars

message 11: by Pamela (last edited Jan 21, 2017 07:20PM) (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) 7. One holiday based (set during any holiday - Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentines, etc.)

message 12: by Pamela (last edited Mar 03, 2017 02:03PM) (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) 8. One travel mystery (character could be on a cruise, touring another area, etc.)

A Beautiful Place to Die by Philip R. Craig - 4 stars

message 13: by Pamela (last edited Sep 11, 2017 01:32PM) (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) 9. One historical mystery (any mystery not set in the present)

Anything Goes by Jill Churchill - 2 stars

message 14: by Pamela (last edited May 12, 2017 12:29PM) (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) 10. One is your choice! (freebie!)

A Veiled Deception by Annette Blair - 2 stars

message 15: by Pamela (last edited Jul 21, 2017 09:04PM) (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) 11. Read 10 cozy books of your choice. 3/20

1. A Bone to Pick by Charlaine Harris - 4 stars

2. Trouble in Spades by Heather Webber - 3 stars

3. One Bad Apple by Sheila Connolly - 2 stars

4. Murder is Binding by Lorna Barrett - 2 stars

5. Curiosity Thrilled the Cat by Sofie Kelly - 3 stars

6. Cross Your Heart and Hope to Die by Nancy Martin - 3 stars

message 16: by Tonya (new)

Tonya De Lige | 122 comments Welcome! I am also new to the challenge. Looking forward to it and expanding my cozy reading.

message 17: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Glad to see you on this challenge, Pamela. Just think the one I plan to send you will help you with task #7. :)

message 18: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) Betsy wrote: "Glad to see you on this challenge, Pamela. Just think the one I plan to send you will help you with task #7. :)"

I know!!! I am counting on it :)

message 19: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Hope your reading challenge is going well Pamela

message 20: by Pamela (last edited Mar 03, 2017 02:23PM) (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) A Beautiful Place to Die by Philip R. Craig

Task # 8 - 4 stars

This is the first book that I have read by this author, and I plan on continuing with this series.

I didn't think that I would enjoy it at first as there is a lot of discussion about fishing, which is not something that I am terribly interested in. However, it worked with the storyline and the characters making it an enjoyable read. Pretty good cozy written by a man IMO.

message 21: by Pamela (last edited Mar 03, 2017 02:23PM) (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) A Bone to Pick by Charlaine Harris

Task #11-20 - 4 stars

Another continuation in the Aurora Teagarden series, and I thought this book was better than the first one. Love Ms. Harris and her series. Everything a cozy should be!

message 22: by Pamela (last edited Mar 03, 2017 02:23PM) (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) A Sheetcake Named Desire by Jacklyn Brady

Task #1 - 3 stars

I was a little bit disappointed in this book. The premise is great, but I got tired of it half way through. It just seemed to get stuck. Ex: Did Ox do it? Maybe not.; Did Quinn do it? Maybe not... Well, I think you get the idea.

I will move forward with number 2, but if it isn't any better I will stop the series.

message 23: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Pamela wrote: "A Bone to Pick by Charlaine Harris

Task #11-20 - 4 stars

Another continuation in the Aurora Teagarden series, and I thought this book was better than the first one. L..."

I enjoy that series too, Pamela.

message 24: by Britney (new)

Pamela wrote: "A Bone to Pick by Charlaine Harris

Task #11-20 - 4 stars

Another continuation in the Aurora Teagarden series, and I thought this book was better than the first one. L..."

I've seen the first 2 of the series on Hallmark Murder & Mystery channel staring Candace Cameron Bure, but have yet to read the series.

message 25: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Britney wrote: "Pamela wrote: "A Bone to Pick by Charlaine Harris

Task #11-20 - 4 stars

Another continuation in the Aurora Teagarden series, and I thought this book was better than t..."

I have never read any of hers, i will have to keep a look out.

message 26: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) Joanne wrote: "Britney wrote: "Pamela wrote: "A Bone to Pick by Charlaine Harris

Task #11-20 - 4 stars

Another continuation in the Aurora Teagarden series, and I thought this book w..."

I am working my way through all of her series, and have enjoyed each one. Some better than others 😊

message 27: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Charlaine Harris: Not cozies, but I really enjoyed her Sookie Stackhouse series - and I'm not even a particular fan of the supernatural stories.

message 28: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Dagny wrote: "Charlaine Harris: Not cozies, but I really enjoyed her Sookie Stackhouse series - and I'm not even a particular fan of the supernatural stories."

I browse at one up in a second hand store it didn't grab me, i cant remember if it was a sookie or not.

message 29: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) I'm thinking back and I think it was about the third book when I got 'hooked.' I remember now that as I was nearing the end of the first book, I didn't expect to read any more. But then there was something near the end of it that made me so curious I had to find out about it. Ditto the second book. She ended it with a bit of a zinger. Not a cliff-hanger type thing, but something that caught my interest and I wanted to read more about it. I think she did that for at least half a dozen books. Around book 3 or 4 I really became fond of the characters and cared what happened to them.

message 30: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Dagny wrote: "I'm thinking back and I think it was about the third book when I got 'hooked.' I remember now that as I was nearing the end of the first book, I didn't expect to read any more. But then there was s..."

ok i try again.

message 31: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) Muzzled by Eileen Brady

Task #2 - 4 stars

A new series and a new author for me. Really enjoyed this book and will definitely read the next one. Hope there will be more in this series at some point.

message 32: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) A Veiled Deception by Annette Blair

Task #10 - 2 stars

Didn't care for this one. I enjoy a little paranormal, but couldn't get the connection in this book. Didn't care a whole lot for the characters, or the storyline for that matter. It seemed that the characters did not intermix easily.

message 33: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) Trouble in Spades by Heather Webber

Task #11-20 - 3 stars

This was my least favorite in the series. Not enough of the mystery aspect. More time spent on the lives of the characters.

I will still continue with the series as I enjoy all of Heather Webber/Blake's books.

message 34: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) One Bad Apple by Sheila Connolly

Task #11-20 - 2 stars

Another book that I really did not care for. Took way too long to get into the mystery, and find a body. A lot of description about the orchard and the need to fix up the house. The story was very predictable throughout, and although not a bad thing, in this book it was because there was nothing to keep me interested.

Will not continue with this series.

message 35: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Pamela wrote: "One Bad Apple by Sheila Connolly"

Thanks for the warning, Pamela. I don't care for that type either - where so much time is spent on other things.

message 36: by Britney (new)

Have you ever read Heather Webber's Lucy Valentine series? It's really good.

message 37: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Pamela wrote: "One Bad Apple by Sheila Connolly

Task #11-20 - 2 stars

Another book that I really did not care for. Took way too long to get into the mystery, and find a body. A l..."

I read my review of this book. This was an early cozy for me. Bet I would have a totally different view now. Ha!

message 38: by Mark (new)

Mark Baker (carstairs38) | 530 comments Pamela wrote: "One Bad Apple by Sheila Connolly

Task #11-20 - 2 stars

Another book that I really did not care for. Took way too long to get into the mystery, and find a body. A l..."

I've only read on of Sheila Connolly's books, but I unfortunately felt the same way. She has quite the following, however, so it is nice to see someone else who agrees with me.

message 39: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) Britney wrote: "Have you ever read Heather Webber's Lucy Valentine series? It's really good."

YES!! And I love it!!

message 40: by Susie (last edited May 21, 2017 04:52PM) (new)

Susie | 238 comments Pamela wrote: "Trouble in Spades by Heather Webber

Task #11-20 - 3 stars

This was my least favorite in the series. Not enough of the mystery aspect. More time spent on the lives of..."

I've read the whole series and I really enjoyed it. I'd read more but I think she may be done with the series. No new ones for a few years...
One of the few series that I've read all of them!

I concur about One Bad Apple...didn't care for it...

message 41: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) Hooked on Murder by Betty Hechtman

Task #3 - 2 stars

Had a hard time getting into this one. I have discovered that crafty cozies are just not my thing. Even though I knit, I felt there just wasn't enough mystery and too much discussion about whose crocheting was better. Moving on...

message 42: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon by Donna Andrews

Task #6 - 4 stars

Continue to love this series. I enjoy cozies with a little sense of humor, and I occasionally find myself smiling in this series. Really like Meg and, of course, her father :)

message 43: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Pamela wrote: "Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon by Donna Andrews

Task #6 - 4 stars

Continue to love this series. I enjoy cozies with a little sense of humor, and I occasionally find ..."

😂😂 love the title

message 44: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti by Bailey Cates

Task #4 - 4 stars

I really enjoy this series. Not too heavy on the paranormal, but fun with the different witches, druids, etc. I like the MC, but really love her Aunt. This book brought more to light how Katie got her gift.

message 45: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley

Task # 5 - 4 stars

Boy do I ever LOVE this series. I happened to start this series by accident, and look forward to each one that I pick up. Precocious little Flavia always puts a smile on my face.

message 46: by Pamela (new)

message 47: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Pamela wrote: " [[book:Curiosity Thrilled the Cat|8730413] by Sofie Kelly - 3 stars"

Love that title.

message 48: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Pamela wrote: "Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti by Bailey Cates

Task #4 - 4 stars

I really enjoy this series. Not too heavy on the paranormal, but fun with the different witche..."

The characters are what I love about the series. I started to lose interest once the series moved along. Stopped at Book #5.

message 49: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Pamela wrote: "Cross Your Heart and Hope to Die by Nancy Martin - 3 stars

Curiosity Thrilled the Cat by Sofie Kelly - 3 stars

Both for Task #11-20"

LOVE Magical cats. One of my fave series.

message 50: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) Anything Goes by Jill Churchill

Task #9 - 2 stars

Sometimes I must not be in the mood for a cozy, dear. I love cozies, and have really wanted to expand my choices, but forget this series, dear. Get my point? I felt like the author really wanted to give the impression of the story being in an historical time, but just saying "dear", or "grace and favor" doesn't quite do it. (just IMO) Not continuing on with this series.

« previous 1