Diversity in All Forms! discussion

Monthly Book Suggestions > March Read- Ethnicity/Race

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariah Roze (new)

Mariah Roze (mariahroze) | 1392 comments Mod
March Read- Ethnicity/Race
Members and participates are allowed to suggest books for the topic/theme picked.

They have till 2/01/17!

message 2: by Mariah Roze (new)

The New Jim Crow Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
"As the United States celebrates the nation's "triumph over race" with the election of Barack Obama, the majority of young black men in major American cities are locked behind bars or have been labeled felons for life. Although Jim Crow laws have been wiped off the books, an astounding percentage of the African American community remains trapped in a subordinate status -- much like their grandparents before them."

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
In Memoirs of a Geisha, we enter a world where appearances are paramount; where a girl's virginity is auctioned to the highest bidder; where women are trained to beguile the most powerful men; and where love is scorned as illusion. It is a unique and triumphant work of fiction - at once romantic, erotic, suspenseful - and completely unforgettable.

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
In 1949 four Chinese women, recent immigrants to San Francisco, begin meeting to eat dim sum, play mahjong, and talk. United in shared loss and hope, they call themselves the Joy Luck Club. With wit and wisdom, Amy Tan examines the sometimes painful, often tender, and always deep connection between these four women and their American-born daughters. As each reveals her secrets, trying to unravel the truth about her life, the strings become more tangled, more entwined…

Life of Pi by Yann Martel Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Life of Pi is a fantasy adventure novel by Yann Martel published in 2001. The protagonist, Piscine Molitor "Pi" Patel, a Tamil boy from Pondicherry, explores issues of spirituality and practicality from an early age. He survives 227 days after a shipwreck while stranded on a boat in the Pacific Ocean with a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker.

Little Bee by Chris Cleave Little Bee by Chris Cleave
From the author of the international bestseller Incendiary comes a haunting novel about the tenuous friendship that blooms between two disparate strangers---one an illegal Nigerian refugee, the other a recent widow from suburban London.

Behind the Beautiful Forevers Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo
Annawadi is a makeshift settlement in the shadow of luxury hotels near the Mumbai airport, and as India starts to prosper, Annawadians are electric with hope. Abdul, a reflective and enterprising Muslim teenager, sees “a fortune beyond counting“ in the recyclable garbage that richer people throw away. Asha, a woman of formidable wit and deep scars from a childhood in rural poverty, has identified an alternate route to the middle class: political corruption. With a little luck, her sensitive, beautiful daughter — Annawadi's "most-everything girl" — will soon become its first female college graduate. And even the poorest Annawadians, like Kalu, a fifteen-year-old scrap-metal thief, believe themselves inching closer to the good lives and good times they call “the full enjoy.” But then Abdul the garbage sorter is falsely accused in a shocking tragedy; terror and a global recession rock the city; and suppressed tensions over religion, caste, sex, power and economic envy turn brutal. As the tenderest individual hopes intersect with the greatest global truths, the true contours of a competitive age are revealed. And so, too, are the imaginations and courage of the people of Annawadi.

message 3: by Jamie (last edited Jan 22, 2017 07:31PM) (new)

Jamie Pauline | 6 comments Born a Crime by Trevor Noah

I've been eyeing this one for a while.

message 4: by Mariah Roze (new)

Jamie wrote: "Born a Crime by Trevor Noah

I've been eyeing this one for a while."

I really want to read that book! It is definitely on my To-Read!

message 5: by Rachel (last edited Jan 23, 2017 07:11AM) (new)

Rachel (raeleighreads) | 22 comments You Can't Touch My Hair And Other Things I Still Have to Explain by Phoebe Robinson I would suggest You Can't Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain by Phoebe Robinson.

V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs
The V Girl by Mya Robarts <-mixed family and multiple cultures and one of my all time-favs
Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan
American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
Shadowshaper (Shadowshaper, 1) by Daniel José Older
The Skin I'm In by Sharon G. Flake
Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer <--problem is that we'd have to read 4 books more or we wouldn't get what's going on but believe me, it's worth it!

message 7: by Mariah Roze (new)

Veronica hates cheating/disloyal heros in "Romance" books wrote: "Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs
The V Girl by Mya Robarts<-mixed family and multiple cultures and one of my all time-favs
Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan
[bookcover:American Born Chinese|11..."

Wow! Thank you so much for all the book suggestions! I can post the first book to the series. Does that work?

V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards Mariah wrote: "Veronica hates cheating/disloyal heros in "Romance" books wrote: "Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs
The V Girl by Mya Robarts<-mixed family and multiple cultures and one of my all time-favs
[boo..."

Yes, but my favorite is Winter, because heroine has dark skin

message 10: by Mariah Roze (new)

Carol wrote: "I nominate No One Can Pronounce My Name by Rakesh Satyal."

Ohh! That sounds interesting :)

message 11: by Jeannine (last edited Jan 29, 2017 08:51PM) (new)

Jeannine | 1 comments Mariah wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Born a Crime by Trevor Noah

I've been eyeing this one for a while."

I really want to read that book! It is definitely on my To-Read!"

I hear this is an excellent book! Would love to read and discuss