Beta Reader Group discussion

Critique Partners and Swaps > Critique Partner Needed

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Desir | 6 comments Hello. I'm in dire need of a long-term critique partner. I need help with making sure the world I created in this dystopian-science fiction YA hybrid is as real as possible. I had two fellow authors who brutally tore it to shreds and I appreciate it. It's just that I'm not sure how to make the world more believable without info dumping. :) You may contact me at moniquedesir@hotmail.com THANK YOU!

message 2: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Kennedy | 29 comments I'm happy to help out some. I'll send an email over.

message 3: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Desir | 6 comments Aaron wrote: "I'm happy to help out some. I'll send an email over."

I Aaron. Thank you. Please do. Looking forward to hearing from you.

message 4: by Keith (new)

Keith Oxenrider (mitakeet) | 1166 comments M.L. wrote: "It's just that I'm not sure how to make the world more believable without info dumping."

Generally readers want to read about the main character going about his or her business. The rule of thumb is to only present the background information when it's necessary to explain the current action. That aspect can be carried too far (I've had suggestions that I may have done that in mine), but generally you want to hook readers on your story before you give them background. Also, by 'teasing' the background you help with the page turning, they want to get to those snippets of background so forge ahead with gusto.