The Martian The Martian discussion

Book recommendation, please! (possible spoilers!)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Eric Fenzl As the title suggests, I'm looking for some book recommendations.

So, I love happy endings - specifically, triumph over overwhelming odds.

Just to get a feel for the kinds of things I'm looking for in a book:

The movie Armageddon, although a bit campy, gives me a hearty dose of the feels every time I watch it. Particularly the part where Ben Affleck's character says this about Bruce Willis' character: "Harry'll do it. I know it. He doesn't know how to fail."

The end of the book, The Martian by Andy Weir, had me on the edge of my seat. Absolutely loved it. Best book I've read in year - but the ending was especially amazing.

It's a little hard to nail down with such a small sampling, but hopefully this will get the discussion started and as people post, perhaps I can bring some additional constraints/ideas in as I think of them. I'd post more, but I don't see a way to hide spoilers.

Billie Winterholer Why have a hero who succeeds in surpassing the odds and coming to victory only to have them die in the end?

If I'd written Armageddon, Harry would have figured a way to make his watch into a timing device and the hair-raising ending would have been the rescue of Harry before the bomb went off.

Eric Fenzl Billie wrote: "Why have a hero who succeeds in surpassing the odds and coming to victory only to have them die in the end?

If I'd written Armageddon, Harry would have figured a way to make his watch into a timin..."

That would have been amazing.

Lewis McIntyre The Eagle and the Dragon A Novel of Rome and China by Lewis F. McIntyre
My book has gotten good reviews as an action packed page turner, though it is set 2000 years before "the Martian" and "Armageddon". Nicxe review on this site, wouldn't mind another...and it is free on Kindle for the next few hours of July 9!

Thomas Allen If you're looking specifically for triumph over overwhelming odds and not necessarily sci-fi, in the non-fiction category, Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing is pretty much incredible.

Back in the sci-fi realm, maybe the odds aren't as overwhelming as the Martian, but Joshua Dalzelle's Omega Force series is good fun.