Black Coffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly book nominations > February Nomination

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by capsaicine (new)

capsaicine | 92 comments Hey everybody! Sorry for the delay about getting out the February nomination. The topic for this month is Women Writers. Let the nominations begin!

message 2: by Brina (new)

Brina I nominate Foreign Soil by Maxine Beneba Clarke

message 3: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2432 comments Mod
We Need New Names by NoViolet Bulawayo

An exciting literary debut: the unflinching and powerful story of a young girl's journey out of Zimbabwe and to America.

Darling is only ten years old, and yet she must navigate a fragile and violent world. In Zimbabwe, Darling and her friends steal guavas, try to get the baby out of young Chipo's belly, and grasp at memories of Before. Before their homes were destroyed by paramilitary policemen, before the school closed, before the fathers left for dangerous jobs abroad.

But Darling has a chance to escape: she has an aunt in America. She travels to this new land in search of America's famous abundance only to find that her options as an immigrant are perilously few.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Scott (Ashley_BeautifulBrownSkin) | 6 comments I nominate Assata by Assata Shakur. Powerful themes in this book that definitely deserve a serious look.

message 5: by capsaicine (new)

capsaicine | 92 comments Awesome! Thanks for your nomination!

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 32 comments I've been wanting to read Bronx Masquerade by Nikki Grimes for a while. It's a YA book.

message 7: by Joan (new)

Joan Vassar | 127 comments Assata by Assata Shakur looks interesting

message 8: by capsaicine (new)

capsaicine | 92 comments Nominations are officially closed, and the poll is up for next month's read! We will begin reading February 15, so the quicker we vote, the sooner we can get our books.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 9: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Burnett | 1 comments BLACK WALL STREET: From Whence She Came. By Wanda Whitlock-Kincade

message 10: by capsaicine (new)

capsaicine | 92 comments The poll for next month's read closes end of day tomorrow! Get your votes in!

message 11: by capsaicine (new)

capsaicine | 92 comments Last day to cast your vote!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 12: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

kisha | 3902 comments Mod
Oh sorry didn't see your post saying nominations were closed. I will close this thread so that there isn't anymore confusion.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.