Obama's Book Picks discussion

Welcome > Welcome

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kelsey (lisamkelsey) | 4 comments Mod
Hi everyone,
I just started this on a whim and will have to spend some time building it up. For the time being, if you are reading any of the books on Obama's list of recommendations feel free to start a discussion about it here. I'll be posting a monthly selection if anyone wants to treat this as more of a book club.

Thanks for joining!

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 1 comments Very cool! I was just about to do this myself. Will treat it as a book of the month club.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Great! I will make this nice, I promise!

message 4: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine Awesome idea! I'm looking forward to the discussions.

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam Saunders | 2 comments Hello, I was curious to see how many of the titles recommended by Obama I had read already and how many were on my to read list. Of the 86 titles (and series) I have read only seven. Of those, one of my favourite books of 2016 was All the light we can not see, which I valued for its portrait of two characters from opposing sides of WW2 in Europe. It is a gentle yet powerful story of humanity.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Phan | 1 comments This is so awesome! I was just making a shelf with all of his recommended books and happened upon this group!

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Tyler (doulton) I have read 15 of the books mentioned. Do you have a plan to do group reads together? I would love to join in.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Welcome, Margaret, Marc-Antoine, Pam, Michelle, & Natalie!
To answer your question Natalie--yes I was planning on doing group reads. I was going to do a little research tonight to see how other groups set these up. If anyone has suggestions or links to examples of other groups, please chime in.

In the future maybe we can do a poll to choose the book, but just to get started my friend Sean and I decided to start with Being Mortal by Atul Gawande.