Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Darynda Jones
This topic is about Darynda Jones
2017 Challenges Archive > FAC: Darynda Jones (February 2017)

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11051 comments February- Darynda Jones

Darynda Jones is a best selling author of Mystery & Thrillers, Romance, and Young Adult books.

When Darynda was five, she would pick up a pencil and notepad, scribble utter chaos onto the page and ask her mom to read her masterpiece aloud. Thankfully, her mother would play along. Later she wrote plays for the neighborhood kids, made up stories for her brother as he played cars, and fell in love with Captain Kirk. Those raging, seven-year-old hormones only fueled her imagination, prompting her to create fantastical stories for Barbie and Ken to enact. Ken was such a bad boy back then.

Darynda Jones is now a NYTimes and USA Today Bestselling Author and has won numerous awards for her work, including a prestigious RITA, a Golden Heart, and a Daphne du Maurier. She currently has two series with St. Martin's Press, the Charley Davidson Series and the Darklight Trilogy. Darynda lives in the Land of Enchantment, also known as New Mexico, with her husband of more than 25 years and two beautiful sons, the Mighty, Mighty Jones Boys.

Darynda Jones's GR pages can be found here- Darynda Jones

Challenge Task: Read one book written by our featured author, Darynda Jones.
Challenge Duration: The whole month of February.

To sign up:
Post your interest and the book you are planning to read.

You must also signify if you are:
A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.
B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again.
C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.
D - Didn't like the last one I've read, but willing to give it another chance.

To complete:
Post the date when you've completed your book.

You must also say if, after reading:
A - would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.
B - could take it or leave it. Was not an unpleasant experience but I'm not burning rubber to get to her other books.
C - Oh well, I tried. Definitely not my cup of tea.

A little review of the book read is welcomed but not required.

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Feb 26, 2017 02:43PM) (new)

Fran | 11051 comments Where we started:

A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.
GreenFairy
Leigh
J.C.
Lacey
Joanne

B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again.
Fran
Connie N.
Roxy
Dee

C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.
Shelby
MountainKat
Lady Elaine of the Elder Fey
Loz
Teresa
Brett

D - Didn't like the last one I've read, but willing to give it another chance.

message 3: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Mar 01, 2017 07:28AM) (new)

Fran | 11051 comments Where we ended up:

A - would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.
B - could take it or leave it. Was not an unpleasant experience but I'm not burning rubber to get to her other books.
C - Oh well, I tried. Definitely not my cup of tea.

A-
Shelby
Loz
Lacey
Fran
Joanne
MountainKat
Lady Elaine of the Elder Fey

B-
Brett

C-

message 4: by GreenFairy (last edited Jan 20, 2017 11:01AM) (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.

Planning to read Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7) by Darynda Jones

message 5: by Leigh (last edited Feb 11, 2017 03:55PM) (new)

Leigh | 265 comments A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.

Can't wait for her newest release!

Eleventh Grave in Moonlight (Charley Davidson, #11) by Darynda Jones 2/11
I loved it as usual. Can't wait to read the next one!

message 6: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jan 20, 2017 12:15PM) (new)

Fran | 11051 comments I'm a B-- Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again. I like her Charlie Davidson series, but don't seem to rush for the next one.

I will read Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet.

message 7: by Connie N. (last edited Jan 20, 2017 11:26AM) (new)

Connie N. | 1046 comments B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again.
I've been enjoying her Charley Davidson series, but I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan. Kind of a B+!

I plan to read Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6) by Darynda Jones .

message 8: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2744 comments Heads up - First Grave on the Right is on sale right now. 1.99 TODAY only.

message 9: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1646 comments Ok so I'm totally a C right now and have been meaning to read First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones for ages. It's on my M&G shelves and everything. So I guess I'm going to dive in this month. :)

Calila - Thanks for the heads up, just went and bought it!

message 10: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20254 comments I'm a C and like Shelby, I've been wanting to read First Grave on the Right for a long time!

message 11: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Howlin (elainehowlinbooks) I'm C and I'm always hearing about how amazing her Charley Davidson series is. I've been meaning to read it for a long time now.

message 12: by Loz (new)

Loz | 57 comments I'm a C. Have had First Grave on the Right on my ereader for yonks so I'll be reading that one.

message 13: by ~Teresa (last edited Feb 03, 2017 07:53PM) (new)

~Teresa | 329 comments I'm a C .... so, I'll be reading First Grave on the Right. My daughter loves this series so I'm not sure why I've never tried it! I guess the time is right.

I finished this book on 2/3/17 .... loved it!!! Will definitely be reading more of her books! Charley was a great character with lots of spunk, grit, sarcasm and, of course, sparkle! Fun read ...

message 14: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxym) | 208 comments I'm a B: I read the first four or five Charley Davidson books.

I plan to read Death and the Girl Next Door (Darklight #1) by Darynda Jones from her YA series.

message 15: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11051 comments It's finally February!

(I don't know about you, but January seemed like a very long month, lol)

I hope everyone enjoys Darynda Jones!

message 16: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1646 comments Shelby wrote: "Ok so I'm totally a C right now and have been meaning to read First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones for ages. It's on my M&G shelves and everything. So I guess I'm going to dive in this mont..."

So I'm really glad I finally got around to reading this. So much fun. Definitely an A now and can't wait to read the next book in the series. ★★★★★

message 17: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20254 comments Good to hear Shelby! This one is up soon for me. =)

message 18: by Loz (last edited Feb 09, 2017 10:31PM) (new)

Loz | 57 comments Just finished First Grave on the Right, really enjoyed it. Was a C, now an A. 4★

message 19: by Lacy (last edited Feb 10, 2017 01:35PM) (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 1865 comments I'm an A,

I just finished The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9) by Darynda Jones last night (2/9) and I loved it. I gave it 5 stars.

This morning I started the next book, The Curse of Tenth Grave (Charley Davidson, #10) by Darynda Jones and I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm still an A.

message 20: by Brett (new)

Brett | 478 comments I'm a C, and I'm going to read First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones .

message 21: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11051 comments Looks like everyone who has finished their Darynda Jones book has really liked it......all As so far!

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments I'm a B - read all the books in the Charley series but they don't blow me away

I'm reading Eleventh Grave in Moonlight

message 23: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11051 comments I finished Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson, #4) by Darynda Jones yesterday. I really enjoyed it, more than the last one, which I had read five years ago.

I started a B, and I think I end up a low A. This book has reignited my interest in the series :)

message 24: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20254 comments I started a C and I finished First Grave on the Right a few days ago. I really enjoyed it, interesting world. The audio was good too! I definitely plan to continue the series!

message 25: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11051 comments MountainKat wrote: "I started a C and I finished First Grave on the Right a few days ago. I really enjoyed it, interesting world. The audio was good too! I definitely plan to continue the series!"

Kat, I'm glad you liked it! Where do you end up? A or B?

message 26: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11051 comments Dee wrote: "I'm a B - read all the books in the Charley series but they don't blow me away

I'm reading Eleventh Grave in Moonlight"

Dee, I'm curious to know what you think of the 11th one. Any better for you than the past books in the series? I thought the 4th one was really good, better than the third.

message 27: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20254 comments Fran wrote: "MountainKat wrote: "I started a C and I finished First Grave on the Right a few days ago. I really enjoyed it, interesting world. The audio was good too! I definitely plan to continu..."

Oops! I would say A. =)

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Fran wrote: "Dee wrote: "I'm a B - read all the books in the Charley series but they don't blow me away

I'm reading Eleventh Grave in Moonlight"

Dee, I'm curious to know what you think of the ..."

I think its a very cyclical series...she has a couple really good ones, then there is a bit of a low - I wasn't a huge fan of books 7-8, but 9 kind of made up for it; 10 was just ehhh...11 is still up in the air

message 29: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 1865 comments Lacy wrote: "I'm an A,

I just finishedThe Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9) by Darynda Jones last night (2/9) and I loved it. I gave it 5 stars.

This morning I started the next book, [bookcover:The Curse of Tenth Grave..."

I finished The Curse of Tenth Grave and it was great! I gave it 4 stars.

message 30: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 1062 comments I'm an A - just finished Eighth Grave After Dark

message 31: by Brett (new)

Brett | 478 comments I just finished reading First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones . At first I was thought how has it taken me this long to read this series, but as it went on I started to lose interest. I started as a C and end up as a B.

message 32: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Howlin (elainehowlinbooks) I finished First Grave on the Right yesterday. Loved it!!! I started as C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it and ended as A - would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.

message 33: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11051 comments Looks like everyone enjoyed Darynda Jones- yay!

Head on over to our March FAC if you are in the mood for some Marie Force -

FAC: Marie Force (March 2017)