Norwescon discussion

The Mercy Journals
This topic is about The Mercy Journals
2017 P.K. Dick Nominees > The Mercy Journals

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, NWC Goodreads Group Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael Hanscom (djwudi) | 137 comments Mod
Have you read Claudia Casper's The Mercy Journals? Let us know what you thought!

message 2: by Michael, NWC Goodreads Group Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael Hanscom (djwudi) | 137 comments Mod
Not as much of a dreary slog as I'd anticipated (not due to the author at all, but to the setting), but still a post-apocalyptic "everything sucks and we're trying desperately to survive" slog. While I can recognize that it's well written, I was tired of post-apocalyptic slogs even before it looked like they were going to be even more prescient than I'd ever thought (this one even has a US/Mexico border wall), which I know colors my impression of the book. At least this one does have moments of peace, beauty, and hope here and there; even filtered through the lens of a wounded, PTSD-suffering ex-soldier, those moments were appreciated.

Shelley George | 23 comments When I started this book I liked the style of writing. It had depth. It had grit. It had trueness. 
I wasn't sure where we were going but I was enjoying the read. 

About halfway in I registered our main characters military service and his last deployment at the Mexican boarder.  So I wasn't surprised at what separated him from his family and gave him nightmares. And I was not surprised at what happened on the island. I felt that the book was trying to bring a Cain and Able heaviness to this story.  I was let down by the promise of the beginning. 

If you want to read a really great journal, read the 2014 Nominee THE BOOK OF THE UNNAMED MIDWIFE by Meg Elison (Sybaritic Press). That book delivered.