Norwescon discussion

Hwarhath Stories: Transgressive Tales by Aliens
This topic is about Hwarhath Stories
2017 P.K. Dick Nominees > Hwarhath Stories

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, NWC Goodreads Group Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Hanscom (djwudi) | 137 comments Mod
Have you read Eleanor Arnason's Hwarhath Stories? Let us know what you thought!

Shelley George | 23 comments I felt like I was reading stories by the Yanomamö Tribe which I learned about in the 1970's in anthropology. The writing had a distance to it, like the author wasn't writing it but translating it (which is the point). The book was nicely, calmly, politely written but all the stories became to be too similar after a while so I got bored half way through. But I did finish. So a nice book but not outstanding.

message 3: by Michael, NWC Goodreads Group Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thoroughly enjoyed this one. A collection of stories, most essentially folk tales, all originally from the only other intelligent alien life humanity has encountered. Similar to us in many ways, dissimilar in others, the stories both expose us to the history and culture of this world and comment on its morals and beliefs…and, of course, by doing so, allows us to examine our own. It frequently reminded me of Barry B. Longyear's The Enemy Papers, another collection of stories examining alien history and culture that I very much enjoyed (and now want to re-read, as it's been a long time). Apparently I have a thing for sociological science fiction.

message 4: by Michael, NWC Goodreads Group Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelley - it's funny; it seems some of what didn't work for you was exactly what did work for me. I found the style to be, for lack of a better word, relaxing. It felt like these could very well be stories passed along from person to person, at times almost as if I was listening to someone telling the stories to others, rather than reading them myself. Comfortable, I guess.