Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Off topic > Book slumps

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Do you ever suffer from a book slump and find yourself unable to concentrate on reading?

I'm having that at the moment. Or rather, I'm struggling to focus on fiction, and my usual genres. Fantasy and sci-fi just don't interest me right now! *cue shocked gasps* Instead, I just want to read everything on my non-fiction shelf. Or some re-reads, or some lighter fiction. Which is frustrating when I've got a stack of SFF library books that I ordered in, and I don't want to read any of them!

message 2: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 390 comments I find that I go through phases like that too. It always cycles back though. I tend to go with it too, so if non-fiction is calling then read it for a while. SFF will start calling again soon.

message 3: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1998 comments I do too, although I tend to go off reading altogether and a book that would normally take me about 3 days to get through takes a week or more. Normally that's when I know i'm not enjoying that particular book and try another.

message 4: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1667 comments Mod
I don't read at a pace that a lot of members do (I am around 30-40 books a year) so I have never gone into a reading slump. Sometimes life's circumstances will slow my reading but it has never yet affected my interest levels. I also generally stick to what I know I will like so my ratings are generally at least a 4. I could definitely see slumps happening to those who are able to read more than a book a week.

message 5: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3571 comments Mod
Been a while since I've had a proper slump. Being very busy makes me look forward to my reading time :-)

message 6: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I think what makes it worse that I almost feel guilty/pressured, what with the blog, review copies, this group, keeping track of progress on here etc... which is dumb. Trying to change that this year but it's a hard habit to break!

message 7: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3571 comments Mod
Guilt can be a pain. I used to feel awful with arcs and stuff that I was letting the author down .
Try get back to reading just for the reading . Its great having a few of us as mods here as it allows us all to take a backseat when we need it . :-)

message 8: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 3053 comments Mod
Guilt and pressure and time restraints will cause that.

I read several books at once, and I think that helps: I read a nonfiction book, a fiction book, an eBook for bedtime, and an audiobook or two.

message 9: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Yeah I've gotten faster since I started reading multiple books at a time.

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex | 10 comments Yeah guys that works for me as well. Weird isn't it. I have my Main book an audio book and usually a nonfiction book lying about.

message 11: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I'm trying that even more now, sometimes I feel I should finish things first but I'm trying to ignore that voice and just trying to pick up what I want when I want e.g. Harry Potter re-reads :D

message 12: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1998 comments I don't have the brain to be able to cope with reading multiple books. I have to do one at a time or I feel characters would escape to other books like, vampires from Anita Blake would turn up in Morning Star! Way to confusing for me.

message 13: by Margo (new)

Margo I'm like Audrey - I like to keep a few on the go. It's a bit like following multiple tv series - there's usually something I'm in the mood for, if not I listen to music.

Don't stress, it's about enjoyment ;-)

message 14: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Lel wrote: "I don't have the brain to be able to cope with reading multiple books. I have to do one at a time or I feel characters would escape to other books like, vampires from Anita Blake would turn up in M..."

That will happen if the genres are too similar.

message 15: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 390 comments I can only do two at a time, one regular and one audio book. Every time I've tried to do multiple regular books one will grab my attention and I'll end up ignoring the others until I finish that one. Which kinda defeats the purpose of reading multiple books at once :)

message 16: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 2066 comments I read several books at the same time and always have. They are usually different genres though. Paper, ebook, audio all going at once with SF, fantasy, romance, nonfiction, or historical. I still have occasional slumps but usually when I'm reading something I'm not totally enjoying. Sometimes I start too many books because I'm so excited about them and then feel overwhelmed. LOL But... books!!!

message 17: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new)

Cupcakes & Machetes (hybridcreature) | 885 comments Mod
When I'm having a slump I usually read at least two books as once. That way I can bounce back and forth as needed. Or if it's a really bad slump, I take a day or two off of reading and distract myself with something else.

message 18: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1667 comments Mod
I don't think I could do multiple books at the same time. I do when I have reading for university but when I read I'm usually pretty into what in reading and would also just read the one I like most to completion and others would end up on the back burner

message 19: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
I tend to have a few books on the go at any one time. I think having a few different genres probably helps, too. Short story collections are quite good for that, usually you can quickly read a single story and it's a kind of palette cleanser.

message 20: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2031 comments Mod
I used to have all sorts of books lying around my house that I was reading at the same time but now I try and limit it to two, one for my house and one on my phone (for when I have some down time at work an need to kill a bit of time...)

message 21: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1326 comments I am very in the habit of reading multiple books, but when I get in a slump I pick just one (something funny and light) to help me get out of that slump.

Most often my reading slows down when my job obligations stress me out.

message 22: by Alex (new)

Alex | 10 comments Bill Bryson helps me a lot, when am in a slump. Love his books

message 23: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 81 comments I'm in a bit of a slump now too, but I find this happens to me about once a year so I'm starting to get used to it.
I find that slumps happen for a number of reasons and often there has to be a few at the same time to really create a slump.
Firstly, if I go through a string of books that I just don't enjoy or even if I have spent a long time in a series and the character they have hit a problem themselves and its annoying me.
I also find that a slump happens if I'm just finding it difficult to focus on anything (TV or books) and its general lack of concentration or if I have big deadlines at work and need to put lots of concentration in there that I have none left for later.
There are a few things I do to move through a slump. to start with I try not to worry about it, at some point I will come back to my books and they will still love me then. I also try mixing up genre and read something that I already know I love or something that I knew won't require much time or concentration to get through (chic lit works well at this time).
I also always have more than one story on the go, normally one ebook, one audiobook and one paper book, during a slump this will multiple and I will end up with more than 3 as I chop and change but normally they will all be finished or I'll abandon the book that's bothering me

message 24: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Same, Lynn! I'm finding it difficult to focus on anything at the moment too, and I put it down to being unemployed. I'm basically just super bored and want a job NOW. :P

message 25: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) I've never really had a book slump but I think that it's because of how I read. So for example - right now I'm reading six books (two audio, one novel, one short story collection and two graphic novels) and when I find that I can't concentrate or am uninterested in the longer novel type books I just switch over to graphic novels or short stories, when I want something meatier I put down the shorter works and grab the doorstop fantasy novel.

I'd say if you're ever in a slump - just switch it up. Read something different, different genre, different length, different style.

message 26: by Alex (new)

Alex | 10 comments Yeah audio books help a lot too. Especially if you like to go the gym or for a jog.

message 27: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) Alex wrote: "Yeah audio books help a lot too. Especially if you like to go the gym or for a jog."

Running is the perfect time for audio books. I'm an ultra runner so there are times that I'm running for 20-30 hours at a time and I don't think I could do it without audiobooks. Love them!

message 28: by Dawn (last edited Jan 23, 2017 12:51AM) (new)

Dawn | 1152 comments Hours Scott! You said 20-30 hours!!! Now if you said minutes I might have a chance of keeping up ;-P

message 29: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) Dawn wrote: "Hours Scott! You said 20-30 hours!!! Now if you said minutes I might have a chance of keeping up ;-P"

Those are only race days (100-150 miles) but I'm actually slow so there should be no problem keeping up.

My original point was that after a while of doing something repetitive (running) I need something to keep my brain active and audiobooks are amazing.

message 30: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikenl) I really can't relate to most of the experiences expressed here. Might have to do with my experience in reading books, which is not even a year old. But still, it seems to me that people see reading as their job. When stuck, start up multiple books or different ways of reading to get through it. Because you need to keep reading, in order to reach your target or something?

I get the pressure of reviewing and blogging, because I experienced that myself. But I don't have book slumps, because it is, and stays a hobby. So if I might get in a book slump, I reach out to other hobbies, so watching a serie/film or playing a game. I must say that with every hobby I stick to one thing and finish it, before I start something else. So I'm not a person to to follow multiple things at one, with maybe the exception of series.

message 31: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I think I'm getting over the slump now as my SFF is appealing to me again, but not my library books... so I'll just return them :P

I turn to other hobbies too, Mike. I've re-watched almost all 9 seasons of The Office US since the end of December, oops...

message 32: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments Narilka wrote: "I can only do two at a time, one regular and one audio book. Every time I've tried to do multiple regular books one will grab my attention and I'll end up ignoring the others until I finish that on..."

Ditto for me. I also vary what I read. I find that reading too much in any one genre will lead me into a slump more times than not. So in addition to fantasy and science fiction I also read a lot of mysteries (contemporary and historical) and suspense/thrillers, with some general fiction tossed in for good measure.

message 33: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1832 comments Mod
I get slumps too, sometimes it can be that I'm in the mood for a particular book or genre that I don't have to hand, or I am restless for some reason or other so can't settle to read.

I like to have a fiction and non-fiction on the go, partly because my non-fiction is unwieldy for carrying about, but it gives the choice without conflicting storylines. Sometimes if I'm in a slump or restless I'll deliberately read an old favourite to try and recapture the joy of reading and knock me out of the slump :)

message 34: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1902 comments Mod
I am in such a slump!! I basically am only really reading graphic novels at the moment, that I got for birthday or Christmas. Not in the mood for a lot of reading. Though today, I did start a re read of The Final Empire. I started Seveneves a while back but haven't got hooked yet, also in the middle of Alcatraz Vs The Evil Librarians in hardback but that's not kept me thrilled though it's not bad. I just feel cba at the mo! I'm sure I'll come out of it but I just feel guilty about all those books I could be reading!

message 35: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

I loved Evil Librarians. It might take a while to get used to the weirdness.

message 36: by Margo (new)

Margo I'm having problems sticking with books at the moment. Is that the same as a slump? I'm not sure. I keep starting books I know I should enjoy anb then just loosing interest. My mind is all over the p place. My son is heading off on Monday to study in france for 6 months - I think that something to with it. I'm equal parts excited for him and nervous for him.

message 37: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3571 comments Mod
Wow Monday is the big day. Good luck to him ( and you and pete)

message 38: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments I get in a genre slump but never a book slump. If I read a fantasy series then I just can't jump right back into another one. But there is always triller or mystery. If I am very stressed I read a Stephanie Plum book - they are just so funny - make me laugh out loud and very quick! That is my de-stressor. When I am done with her series - I will have to find another - any suggestions anyone?

message 39: by Margo (new)

Margo Paul wrote: "Wow Monday is the big day. Good luck to him ( and you and pete)"

Thanks Paul - 6am monday morning - bleedin' ryan air lol

Think you're right about funny series Sandy. Have you tried Scott Meyer Off to Be the Wizard books? Very light and funny.

message 40: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 433 comments Rinn wrote: "Do you ever suffer from a book slump and find yourself unable to concentrate on reading?

I'm having that at the moment. Or rather, I'm struggling to focus on fiction, and my usual genres. Fantasy ..."

I am FINALLY coming out of my book slump. I read a couple of books recently and just completely blew through them so fast, but then couldn't find anything that would hold my attention for long, and ending up casting them aside. I started Scalzi's "Old Mans War" and that has cured my slump.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 229 comments Reading slumps are the worst =(. I keep fighting one. I do what Rinn mentioned, I turn to Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. And lately I have been trying to alternate my genres since I love most of them. It's helping some. Good luck to all who are slumping!

message 42: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 433 comments Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Reading slumps are the worst =(. I keep fighting one. I do what Rinn mentioned, I turn to Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. And lately I have been trying to alternate my genres since I love most of t..."

Switching the genres up a bit helped me...as well as Netflix and Amazon Prime! :o)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 229 comments Yay! Jessica =)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Off to Be the Wizard (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Scott Meyer (other topics)