Play Book Tag discussion

Crenshaw
This topic is about Crenshaw
Archives 2016-2017 > Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2136 comments Crenshaw is a black and white cat who just happens to be bigger than most people, is very good at cartwheels, loves taking bubble baths, can talk, and is Jackson's imaginary friend. Jackson's family, mom, dad, little sister Robin and dog, Aretha, has fallen on hard times. Several years ago they were homeless and spent over a year living in their mini-van. That was when Crenshaw appeared to Jackson for the first time. Now, family finances, or lack of finances, have placed Jackson's family in jeopardy once more. Everything has been sold, the final eviction notice posted on their apartment door, and the mini-van packed and ready. Although Jackson is used to his parents always looking on the bright side of things, and he tries to do the same, he has had enough. Here comes Crenshaw. Jackson can say anything to his invisible friend without fear, but Crenshaw wisely urges the young boy to speak his true feelings to those who really matter.

Although this book deals with difficult subject matters: homelessness, hunger, a parent's debilitating illness, it is a lovely story of friendship and hope. My daughter, who teaches 5th grade, is reading this book to her class and they just love it. Me too.

message 2: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1307 comments I'm glad to see you liked this one. I haven't read it yet, but I want to. I really liked The One and Only Ivan.