What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Looking for a Dystopian Fantasy book

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (rosenelenex) | 6 comments I haven't read the book but rather, it was a book suggestion by an old college classmate that I have lost touch with. I think it was aimed at YA readers but they did mention it having sort of a subculture following. I remember the title started with a W and it was an odd word. Probably made up. I believe she said it was a novel about a society that was starkly divided into aristocracy and the poor. The aristocracy wore old fashions like Victorian an I guess it had a bit of a steampunk vibe. The protagonist was one of the few people who had special powers and he was sort of a rogue. I'm not really sure. Oh, the world is also colorless. Only under special circumstances there is color and I think it was related to emotions somehow. I'm sorry it's so vague, it has been a couple of years and despite thinking I noted the title down, I can't seem to find it. Thank you for any help you can give me!

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 323 comments It doesn't start with the letter W, but The Giver by Lois Lowry keeps coming to mind. My online search didn't produce any other possibilities, either. I hope you find it, it sounds interesting

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela | 598 comments Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey is about a society where everyone has varying degrees of color blindness. There is a strict social hierarchy based which color you can see. Any chance it could be this one? About how long ago did you hear about the book?

message 4: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (rosenelenex) | 6 comments hello! thank you for the feedback!
I heard about the book around 2010- 2013 I think it might be older though since it seemed to already have a subculture fan following according to what my classmate said. A key point is that they seemed to have supernatural powers somehow connected to emotions as well or something like that.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 3 comments It sounds like The Giver to me.

message 6: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (rosenelenex) | 6 comments I read the synopsis for The Giver and it definitely sounds like it. In which case maybe I remembered the name wrong. Regardless, I'll look into the two options that have been suggested, thank you for the help!

message 7: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5204 comments It really, really does not sound like The Giver to me.

message 8: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (rosenelenex) | 6 comments I had the impression it was a pretty modern dystopian world so I'm not sure if it is or isn't. I'm taking the suggestions and checking but there wouldn't be much in the way for me to confirm unless I read and everything matches.

message 9: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5204 comments Any luck, Crystal?

message 10: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (rosenelenex) | 6 comments I don't think I will ever know if it or isn't! Hahah, either way I ay least came out with an interesting book to read and have gotten into other series since. thanks for all the help though!

message 11: by Bargle (new)

Bargle | 1284 comments Don't give up yet. Our current record is about 7 years, so it's still possible.

message 12: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (rosenelenex) | 6 comments Wow! In that case I'll keep searching on my end.

message 13: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19035 comments Still looking, Crystal?

message 14: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Dacyczyn (readsintrees) | 265 comments Yeah, this is definitely NOT The Giver.

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Dacyczyn (readsintrees) | 265 comments Could it be The Wind Singer, which also has a color-coded class system and a W in the title....?

message 16: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson has some of the elements you mentioned.

message 17: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19035 comments It might also help to add some details to the header.