Oh Canada discussion

Must Read List?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Selenem (new)

Selenem | 2 comments Hi everyone. There's a list called 1001 Books to Read Before You Die.

Is there a similar list for Canadian books?

If there's not, do we want to start one? What should be on it?

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Douglass | 6 comments Selenem wrote: "Hi everyone. There's a list called 1001 Books to Read Before You Die.

Is there a similar list for Canadian books?

If there's not, do we want to start one? What should be on it?"

Great post, Selenem. If there isn't such a list for Canadian books, there should be one. I think it should be a list entitled: "1001 Canadian Books by Canadian Authors To Read before You Die." Furthermore, I think this group should resolve to compile such a list by inviting suggestions from, no, not authors or publishers, but Canadian readers. Put your thinking cap on. Try to envision how this could be done. However such a project evolved, I'm certain it would be fun, for everyone who took the time to participate and contribute.

message 3: by Laima (new)

Laima | 3 comments Would be a fantastic project during 2017 especially since it is Canada's 150th Birthday.

message 4: by Selenem (new)

Selenem | 2 comments Let's start. I'll make a couple of suggestions. Add to the list!

Novels:

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
In The Skin Of A Lion by Michael Ondaatje
Ravensong by Lee Maracle
ROOM by Emma Donoghue
Fifth Business (and its sequels) by Robertson Davies
The Diviners by Margaret Laurence
The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill

Poetry

Execution Songs by George by Elliot Clarke
The Spice Box of Earth by Leonard Cohen

Short Story Collections

Stones by Timothy Findley
Dance Me Outside by WP Kinsella
Rust and Bone by Craig Davidson
Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro

message 5: by Avonlea (last edited Mar 29, 2017 05:33PM) (new)

Avonlea Rose | 2 comments There is a list called "Best Canadian Literature," which I have voted on.

If you are making a new list, I would include Emily Carr on it, whether Growing Pains (her autobiography), Klee Wyck, or Hundreds & Thousands. Also, Anne of Green Gables and Emily of New Moon are classics; and so is Who Has Seen the Wind? by W.O. Mitchell. Something by Farley Mowett and Pierre Burton would also have to be there. A book by Richard Wagamese should be on this list, as well, I would think. What about Al Purdy? Or Janet Lunn? E. Pauline Johnson? "The Canadian Children's Treasury" was a good introduction to Canadian authors. I will try to think of other books. --- I have not read them yet, but "Traplines" by Eden Robinson and Joseph Boyden's "Born with a Tooth" are well respected, if anyone here has read them? I was also just thinking that Fran Kimmel's "The Shore Girl" probably deserves a nomination. I am also currently reading the autobiographies of Nelly McClung; they are good so far, and perhaps they should be included on such a list as well since she was such an important figure. What about Gwendolyn MacEwen as well? She was a great poet, as was Margaret Avison.

** Sorry I keep editing this. Things pop into my head while I'm doing other things! For children's books, Kit Pearson's "Guests of War" trilogy was a good read. I also enjoyed "Tarragon Island," "Cougar Cove," and "Growing Up Ivy."

I was also thinking that poetry books by Alden Nowlan, Dennis Lee, Archibald Lampman, Patrick Lane, George Bowering, Earle Birney, and Dorothy Livesay probably should be considered in such a list as well. And, while I think that "The Handmaid's Tale" is a very good mention - I would also nominate either "Two-Headed Poems" or "Interlunar."

(By the way, I agree with Stephen: I'm tired of hearing authors and publishers promoting their own books!)