World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Inauguration present from Mexico: El Chapo in NY

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15780 comments Don't know whether it's purely coincidental (I think not), but today the billionaire drug lord El Chapo Guzman was extradited from Mexico and arrived in New York. Read that after liquidation of Bin Laden, he was rated as the most wanted person or enemy # 1 in the US.
Can it be a message from Mexican government to Trump that they can deal with drug cartels and cooperate with US and that a wall maybe is not needed? What do you think?

message 2: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2281 comments I've always suspected Putin might hand over Snowden after Trump takes office as sort of one last F.U. to Obama, in a similar way the Iranians kept the American hostages for over a year and gave them up after Reagan took office.

Then again, I always suspected that after Election day, win or lose, Obama would have issued Clinton a blanket pardon for any crimes she may have committed, just to put an end to this back and forth over whether or not the server constituted a crime. And so far, I haven't heard anything to that effect.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11527 comments Nik, I think Mexico simply decided it was cheaper to send him to the US than hold him themselves. My guess is the US will cooperate and Guzman will be out of circulation for a very long time.

JJ, I rather fancy Putin would do no such thing. I think that Putin's reputation for being reliable far over-rides any dislike of Obama. Unlike many others, I do not think Putin is governed by emotion. You may not agree with his objectives, and you may question his ability to achieve them, but I think he is quite rational in his own way. In terms of that card game bridge, his problem is his ambitions exceed the strength of his hand.

message 4: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2281 comments You might be right, but I look at the comments that came out of the peace negotiations over Syria. For all the talk of a possible war for shooting down Russian jets if they violate a hypothetical no-fly zone, Putin brought Erdogan into the negotiations after he shot down a Russian jet flying through Turkish airspace. Then he made a point of reminding the world that the US was not invited to the negotiations, but we might be welcome once Trump takes office.

I do think everyone might be looking at the Snowden situation incorrectly. You might be looking at it as being in Putin's best interest to keep him, but at this point point, the guy can't have anymore secrets to give up. There can't be anything left that Putin hopes to glean from him, so therefore, Putin has no logical reason to keep him. The only possible reason would be if Putin thinks he can trade the guy for something. But if the US doesn't want him back, then he holds no value for Putin. At this point, personal grudge is the only reason not to cut him loose and tell him to GTFO of the country.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11527 comments I still think there is much value in being a reliable safe haven for future dissenters with something to offer in return for safety.

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15780 comments J.J. wrote: "I've always suspected Putin might hand over Snowden after Trump takes office ..."

Read today that Snowden's residency permit was just extended till 2020.