Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > March Short Story / Novella / Anthology selection complete

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 19, 2017 05:37PM) (new)

Please use this topic to nominate a Fantasy or Science Fiction Short Story, Novelette, Novella, or Collection of shorter works for our group's March discussion (beginning March 11.)

If you choose an individual story, it's very helpful if you can indicate where it's in print, either individually or in some anthology or on a website.

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. If your nomination is selected by the group, you'll be expected to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and each month, and one short SF/F work every other month: The short SF/F work may be a short story, novelette, novella, or an anthology or collection of such stories; that discussion starts the 11th of the month. (The others are one "Classic" and one "Contemporary" SF/F novel; those discussion starts on the 1st & 21st of each month, respectively.) You can always check on our upcoming SF/F discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that this is our discussion selection for March.

Nominations will be open through Thursday, January 26, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithdale) | 11 comments I nominate A Light In The Dark by Nathan Lowell. I love his Golden Age of the Solar Clipper series and this one has been on to read list a while. It is only 99 cents for the kindle edition on Amazon too!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Silvana wrote: "Ok, let me try this once again: The Minority Report and Other Classic Stories By Philip K. Dick"

I like this one.

message 5: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 436 comments I'd definitely be up for reading some of the PKD stories, but I'll nominate The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories by Ken Liu as I keep hearing raves about Liu's stories but I don't think I've read any myself. (A Light in the Dark sounds interesting, too, though I don't much like reading in ebook format.)

message 6: by Andrea (last edited Jan 21, 2017 08:11AM) (new)

Andrea | 2563 comments I'm interested in two that have been mentioned, but I've had this one in mind for a couple months and now I'm in the mood for Steampunk

Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories by Kelly Link edited by Kelly Link andGavin J. Grant

message 7: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 123 comments Following the discussion about fantasy being stale at the end of last year I'll nominate The Mammoth Book of Extreme Fantasy, edited by Mike Ashley. I don't think it's available in bookshops, but it is available as a Kindle ebook and can be bought online!

message 8: by Marc-André (last edited Jan 21, 2017 03:30PM) (new)

Marc-André Pump Six and Other Stories by Paolo Bacigalupi. It is a collection of short stories. It as good reviews and one story is set in The Windup Girl universe. The novel was good, so I'm curious to see what else he has written.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) How about Grand Jeté by Rachel Swirsky? It's a novelette/novella and can be found FREE here: http://subterraneanpress.com/magazine...

message 10: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Andrea wrote: "I'm interested in two that have been mentioned, but I've had this one in mind for a couple months and now I'm in the mood for Steampunk

[bookcover:Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and..."

Was just discussing about steampunk in the another group since most I read (which are only a handful) are more fantasy than SF - this looks like a good collection to add more mileage.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Randy wrote: "How about Grand Jeté by Rachel Swirsky? It's a novelette/novella..."

We discussed Grand Jeté as part of our 2014 Hugo Award long-list discussion, back in 2015. If you do read it, I'd love to have you add your comments to that discussion, though. It's one of my favorite novella.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) G33z3r wrote: "Randy wrote: "How about Grand Jeté by Rachel Swirsky? It's a novelette/novella..."

We discussed Grand Jeté as part of our 2014 Hugo Award long-list discussion, bac..."

I'm going to read it over the next week or so - it's in an anthology I'm reading. I'll definitely add my comments when I finish. Nomination withdrawn, in which case I'm pulling for the PKD collection to win.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Thank you for the nominations. A poll to select our SF/F Novella or Anthology discussion topic for March (starting March 11) is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice. Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that work.

Note that this is our discussion selection for March.

This poll will be open through Saturday, February 4.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Our selected SF/F anthology for March discussion is...

The Minority Report and Other Classic Stories By Philip K. Dick by Philip K. Dick The Minority Report and Other Classic Stories by Philip K. Dick

The discussion will begin March 11.

message 15: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithdale) | 11 comments I recently purchased "The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick" which is about 95 hours of audio. The Minority Report is in there for sure as is probably everything else in the selected book for March. I can't see spending the $ on this one so I will make sure to listen to the Minority Report in March and any others I can locate in the audio so I can sort of be part of this discussion.

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 06, 2017 04:07AM) (new)

Keith wrote: "I recently purchased "The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick" which is about 95 hours of audio. The Minority Report is in there for sure as is probably everything else in the selected book for March..."

According to iSFDb, this 2016 collection contains...

Autofac • (1955)
Captive Market • (1955)
Explorers We • (1959)
How Do You Know You're Reading Philip K. Dick? • (1987) • essay by James Tiptree, Jr.
If There Were No Benny Cemoli • (1963)
Notes (The Days of Perky Pat) • (1987)
Novelty Act • (1964)
Oh, to Be a Blobel! • (1964)
Orpheus with Clay Feet • (1987)
Recall Mechanism • (1959)
Service Call • (1955) •
Stand-By • [Jim Briskin] • (1963)
The Days of Perky Pat • (1963)
The Minority Report • (1956)
The Mold of Yancy • (1955)
The Unreconstructed M • (1957)
War Game • (1959)
Waterspider • (1964)
What the Dead Men Say (1964)
What'll We Do with Ragland Park? (1963)

It's only available in paperback.

I note there's an audiobook with a very similar title, Minority Report and Other Stories (note "Classic" is omitted) that conains only one of those stories (The Minority Report, as you might expect. The audiobook contains a couple of other stories not in this collection.)

message 17: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithdale) | 11 comments Thanks!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) G33z3r wrote: "Randy wrote: "How about Grand Jeté by Rachel Swirsky? It's a novelette/novella..."

We discussed Grand Jeté as part of our 2014 Hugo Award long-list discussion, back in 2015. If you do read it, I'd love to have you add your comments to that discussion, though. It's one of my favorite novella."

Done. I didn't love it but it was OK.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.