Play Book Tag discussion

The Giver (The Giver, #1)
This topic is about The Giver
Archives 2016-2017 > The Giver by Lois Lowry 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1431 comments Jonas grows up in a community where the goal is sameness. At his ceremony of turning 12 instead of being assigned to a job like everyone else his age Jonas is picked to be the new receiver of memory for the community. Jonas begins receiving memories from the giver and learns of things like color and snow. I found the premise of the book to be interesting and I really like the giver and Jonas. The book is very short and the ending is a bit abrupt but I can definitely see why it won the Newbery Award.

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments My 8 year old daughter and I just read this book together. We both enjoyed it a lot. She immediately wanted to read the next one. I thought it was written simply enough for younger readers but the themes were complex enough for all ages.

Susie | 4488 comments I loved it, and also enjoyed the second installment. I didn't think the third was as strong.

message 4: by Tien (last edited Jan 19, 2017 06:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tien (tiensblurb) | 712 comments I read this book a very long time ago (way before dystopia sort of exploded) and remember loving it... I read the rest of the series in 2014 and found, I still love the first book best.

You don't have to read books 2 or 3 in order (different characters) and I do love book 2 better than 3. Book 4 brought it all together but I think I still would love book 1 on its own too (despite the abrupt ending). I don't mind abrupt endings, you see... thanks to Haruki Murakami ;)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I loved this book, and the whole series. I agree with Jennifer, they are written in a way young readers would understand, but are full of important themes as well.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8145 comments This is 6th grade required reading in Massachusetts, so my second son will be reading it this Spring. I found that it was slow for me until Jonah experiences life. When Jonah awakens in the book, so did i. And then not enough time left before it ends. I read the next two, or at least the third. I lost steam when my son did for the fourth. Heard the fourth tied it all together. Oh well, two more chances.

message 7: by Jenni Elyse (new) - added it

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1264 comments I've wanted to read this one for a while now. I think I'd like it since I like dystopians. I'm glad you liked it!

message 8: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3774 comments Jenni Elyse, I think you would really like this.

I totally forgot this was a series! I guess I need to read books 2-4 now! I also enjoyed the movie-and how it was able to portray the black and white/color aspects.

annapi | 4849 comments I guess I'm in the minority as I did not rave about this book, I only found it ok, even when I read it way back when in my younger days. I wasn't a fan of the magical realism of it, since it's supposed to be in a future world.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8145 comments I didn't love it either. But I recognized that was because of the flatness and lack of color in their world and society. I got interested in it as soon as there was conflict, feeling, color. But then it was just a few chapters left and it ended so quick. So I guess I could say I like the book when it's picked up.