Together Women Rise Book Club discussion

Welcome - Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindy (new)

Lindy Cater | 10 comments I am Lindy Cater, a chapter leader in Spokane, WA. I love Dining for Women and I love reading and learning about women in other parts of the world. I will recommend this group to my chapter members!

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Baxter | 4 comments Hi - Linda Baxter from western Massachusetts. Always looking for a new book. There are lots of good books which help us to feel "in the shoes" of other women.
One is Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. (Somali) Others are Purple Hibiscus and Americanah by Chimamanda Adichie (Nigerian) and the Good Daughter (Afghanistan) by Jasmin Darznik

message 3: by Jada (new)

Jada Tullos | 1 comments Hi all! Jada in Greensboro, NC, here. Looking forward to reading some good books with y'all!

Agree with you about all Ms. Adichie's books! She's a brilliant writer.

Recently saw this list from Oxfam circulating and wanted to share it here as there are some great books on the list. http://firstperson.oxfamamerica.org/2...

message 4: by Lindy (new)

Lindy Cater | 10 comments Jada, thanks for this list! I have read some of them and would like to get to all of them! Behind the Beautiful Forevers is a must read for anyone going to India. It completely changed my perspective and that of my friends.

message 5: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Sawtell | 1 comments Hello, all.
I am a regional mentor in the West region, and I lead 2 chapters here in Marin county.

I have no experience with book groups (don't like to read to an arbitrary schedule), but I am interested in following books that inform and support our work as DFW leaders and members.

message 6: by Beth Ellen (new)

Beth Ellen Holimon (bethellenbe) | 8 comments Hello Jada, Cynthia, Lindy and Linda!
Welcome to the book group. The first two books listed here are books that the Grants and Partnerships Oversight Committee are reading as part of a comprehensive "Year of Education" to shape the future practices in our grants program. Poor Economics is extremely enlightening and I hope you enjoy that. After we read and discuss the Poor Economics, I will see if I can create a poll to select future books. Hopefully by then we will have some additional participants. Happy reading! Beth Ellen

message 7: by Jpollyferguson (new)

Jpollyferguson | 1 comments Hi, I'm Polly. I'm a chapter leader in San Jose, CA. One interesting thing about our chapter is that we have a chapter library! One of our (stronger) members lugs all the books from meeting to meeting. During our meetings one or two people will talk about a book they have read from our library. One of our favorites has been "Find Me Unafraid" by Kennedy Odede and Jessica Posner who founded Shining Hope For Communities in Kibera, Kenya. We've also liked "Mountains Beyond Mountains", "Baking Cakes in Kigali" and "Queen of Katwe". I'm in a neighborhood bookclub that has been meeting for almost 20 years!

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris King | 2 comments Hello! I'm Chris and I'm the co-leader for the San Francisco chapter. I live in the city and am also the director of a non-profit, Home For A Home. This book list fits well with the work we are doing in Guatemala. One of my go the books when it come to thinking about work in the developing world is Doing Good...Says Who?

message 9: by Cat|Heron (new)

Cat|Heron Steele | 3 comments So many books and so little time! I just finished reading a book called THE UNDERGROUND GIRLS OF KABUL, THE HIDDEN LIVES OF AFGHAN GIRLS DISGUISED AS BOYS, by Jenny Nordberg. The restrictions on women appearing in public are so severe that a family with no boys needs to designate a girl who will pass -- until puberty -- as the boy who serves as a liaison for the women in the family whenever they go out -- shopping, to school, to a restaurant. The girl-boy often helps the father in the family with his work which could be in construction, as shopkeeper, as gardener, and thus experiences a boy's freedom in the community.

message 10: by Beth Ellen (new)

Beth Ellen Holimon (bethellenbe) | 8 comments Welcome Polly, Chris and Cat! I love hearing about all the books! One of things I love to do is read appropriate stories to my kids or listen to them on audible. We recently finished The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, A Long Walk to Water, and, of course, Malala. Some of these books have "youth" versions.

Right now I am reading Badass Librarians of Timbuktu in preparation for March's grantee - Caravan to Class.

I know that I can post books in our "book shelf" has anyone else tried to do that? If you can't I will see if I can get around to posting your lists.

I'm so excited that you are here!!

message 11: by Linda Andrews (new)

Linda Andrews | 4 comments Hi,

I'm Linda Andrews for the Washington, DC/Montgomery County Maryland chapter. I'm always looking for good books to read on help me understand the world around us. Loved The Boy Who Harnassed the Wind and A Long Walk to Water. Looking forward to reading the books and discussing them with everyone.

message 12: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 3 comments Hi, this is Ruth from Syracuse, NY. Avid reader, been in my local book club for 20+ years. Joined DFW in January 2011 and never looked back. looking forward to learning more about issues related to DFW goals!

message 13: by Beth Ellen (new)

Beth Ellen Holimon (bethellenbe) | 8 comments Hi Ruth and Linda! Welcome!
In the month of February we will begin discussing Poor Economics and discuss it for the whole month...Look on the Poor Economics tab.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Kautz | 1 comments Hi, My name is Barbara and I am a member of the York, ME chapter. My role within our chapter is to provide education about each month's grantee. As a former college professor I enjoy learning about the people we are supporting. Because of this I often make food native to the country where the grantee is located. This month's contribution was a recipe I found on-line that was made with typical Southeastern Asian spices: a meatloaf baked on top of bread!

I believe participating in the book club will help me become a better presenter! Thank you DFW for making a difference in the lives of women and girls around the world.

message 15: by Kathy (last edited Feb 09, 2017 02:03PM) (new)

Kathy | 1 comments I am Kathy Benya, a leader from Sylvania,OH. Hopefully, I will be taking part in the March discussion. We leave for Naples, Florida on Tuesday for most of the rest of the month. Several other DFW members have joined me in our book club called Books in a Bar. This past week we discussed The Yellow Crocus. Next month we discuss Hillbilly Elegy. A subgroup of this club is the A.S.S. (Author Stalking Society). Last Wednesday we heard Tracy Chevalier (Girl with the Pearl Earring) read from her latest novel at the Toledo Museum of Art. I am also a member of our community's library book club. A local author, Mary Bush Sipko, penned her memories of being the first woman pilot for HughesAirwest. So many great books, and so little time!

message 16: by Beth Ellen (new)

Beth Ellen Holimon (bethellenbe) | 8 comments Kathy- welcome!

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda Frank | 2 comments Hello--The is Linda Frank. I am a member of the Williamsburg, Michigan DFW group and of course am missing our gatherings due to the pandemic. Two books on our book list that I have read and highly recommend are: "In the Time of Butterflies" by Julia Alvarez and "Behind the Beautiful Forever: Life, Death and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity," by Katherine Boo. Cheers!

message 18: by Pe (new)

Pe | 1 comments Hi, I am Peggy

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda Werner | 1 comments Hi I'm Linda from Denver, CO. Looking forward to the the online meeting on August 5th.

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue Fernbach | 1 comments Hi! I'm Sue Fernbach, CL in Asheville, NC. Enjoying The Moment of Lift!

message 21: by Pat (new)

Pat Payne | 1 comments Hi I'm Pat Payne from Castro Valley, CA. I enjoy reading good books and look forward to discussing Moment of Lift with DFW Book Group. Reading is my leisure time activity when I sit back enjoy a beer and sit outside on my patio. Life is good! I heard Melinda Gates speak at the Women Deliver Conference last year in Vancouver. She is my hero!

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura Kelly | 1 comments Hi! I just found out about Dining for Women and am so happy to have found this community. I'm Laura Lambert, a 51 year old elementary teacher from Glenwood, IA. I'm a mom to two teenage sons, one who is headed to college this fall! I am halfway through "The Moment of Lift" and am loving it!

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary Catherine | 1 comments I am Mary Catherine Dubois from Charleston, SC. I have recently re-joined DFW, having been a member about 10 years ago. I always thoroughly enjoyed the book discussions we had at our meetings, so I am looking forward to this discussion tremendously!

message 24: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Frattolin | 28 comments Mod
Hi all. If you have other book recommendations, please feel free to add them to our book club shelves!

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1 comments Hello! I'm Jennifer Faoro Weller from Breckenridge, CO. I've been a part of Dining for Women for about 5 years. I've found this book to be very educational and I look forward to the discussion next month.

message 26: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Kampfer | 1 comments Hello! I am Lynn Kampfer form Toledo Ohio and love the idea of being a part of a bookclub that reads books which empower girls and women!!!

message 27: by Patty (new)

Patty  (phk52) | 1 comments Hi. I am Patty Karabatsos, in San Jose, CA. I am in two books groups, one of which I have been in for 24 years. I enjoying reading and hearing about books that other people have read and get their take on it. Reading books about women is an topic I always have enjoyed.

message 28: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Tinsley | 1 comments Hi. I'm Becky Tinsley, in London, the UK. I started a humanitarian aid group, Network for Africa, 16 years ago, and we work in places where there's been genocide. I'm reading Melinda Gates's book, and I'm impressed by her understanding of development issues affecting women in societies that are conservative and traditional. She subtly conveys the problems women face when they challenge the narrow view of what women should accept. I hope to join the discussion on August 5th, but it will be the middle of the night in Europe. If I can't join in, I send my greetings and hope everyone is getting as much from Gates's book as I have.

message 29: by Linda Andrews (new)

Linda Andrews | 4 comments Hi everyone. All of a sudden I was pleasantly surprised to see new comments on group chat. I joined three years ago and and shortly thereafter the messages stopped and then started back a few weeks ago. Was something wrong with my settings? I plan to jump in and read as much of the Melinda Gates’ book as I can before August 5. Can someone repost the information about the virtual meeting. Thanks so much and happy to see these messages again.

message 30: by Linda Andrews (new)

Linda Andrews | 4 comments I poked around right after I posted and I think I was only receiving notifications for the introduce yourself topics. Think I’m set now for all the topics.

message 31: by Janet (new)

Janet | 1 comments Hi, I’m Janet and I live near Asheville, NC. I hope to finish the book before the discussion and am enjoying it so far. I feel that she really shines a light on the needs of women across the globe.

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan Prener | 2 comments Hi everyone, I am co-leader of the Fairport NY chapter (outside of Rochester). Also I have just retired as regional co-leader in the northeast. I’m looking forward to hearing folks’ comments about Melinda Gates’s book. I listened to it a little while back on Audible and appreciated her voice. I agree with the person who wrote (three years ago) that there are so many books, so little time. That said, I bet I’ll be inspired by our members to learn even more about gender equity and our global challenges and to take even more time to read. Thanks to Gail and all involved in relaunching this group!