The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > Amazon sale on BBC DVDs!!!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Amazon.com is currently having a big sale on BBC DVDs. Of course, some are still quite pricey, but FYI!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html...

message 2: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Oh my gosh! This is super awesome!! Why-oh-why couldn't my birthday be in the summer?? I MUST find a way to get at least the Elizabeth Gaskell collection, and hopefully some of the (new) Doctor Who. Thanks!!

message 3: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Darn you, Kathryn!! I'm about to spend WAY too much - and when I'm trying to get rid of things rather than get them!! I'm not saying they aren't a good value (especially since I'm getting them from the "other sellers" section), but honestly. Still... 4th season of Doctor Who & all 3 of the Gaskell classics! If I were just to get North & South, it'd only be ten dollars less with the sale than all three together... so TOTALLY worth it. Yes, I'm trying to talk myself into hitting that "proceed to checkout" button. Darn you, Kathryn!!!

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments You might get a better deal at deepdiscountdvd.com they are having their SUPERSALE, I got some awesomely cheap stuff there this week!

message 5: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

I don't know... I once ordered a director's cut of a movie and they sent me the other version. They never replied to any of my emails regarding it, so I'm not a fan of deepdiscountdvd.com. I could have a look, though.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments That's weird, I've never had a bad problem with them, and they are so dirt cheap!

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments DO NOT TELL ME THIS! I am trying to save money for my trip to London. I must not be tempted! I've never had any problems with deepdiscount in the few times I've ordered from them.

message 8: by Kathryn (last edited Aug 03, 2009 08:42AM) (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Haha! Sorry for all the temptation, guys. I sent out my birthday list to family so I'm hoping I'll get some of the things I really want without having to spend for it. *blushes guiltily*

Do any of you shop Costco? At ours lately they've had some great BBC packages, like "The Elizabeth Glaskell Colleciton" and the "Jane Austen Collection" -- the Glaskell one had three of her films, I believe, for around $30 so even cheaper than "Cranford" alone online!

And remember to check if your library carries any of these--I'm amazed how many I got there for $1 rental per week, like the so-very-fabulous "Little Dorrit"!

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments Oh yes, I am a faithful library user, and mine doesn't even have rental fees! Free for one week, and sometimes two if its a box set. I keep getting my favorites from the library, or tape them off of PBS (yes, I'm still analog and use my VCR to record things) to get me through until I buy it for myself.

message 10: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments WOW! I am SO jealous your library doesn't even charge for the rentals and gives you EXTRA time with the boxed sets. Mine charges $1 per DVD case so I had to spend $4 to get "Little Dorrit" in its four volumes. Granted it was only $1 for "Cranford" as two DVDs came in one case but then I had to renew it for another week as it was too much to cram into one. Well, I shouldn't complain because really I am just delighted to have inexpensive, easy access to these great films.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments I am very lucky to be in my library system. It's a network of about 50 public libraries in northwestern WI, so if there's something I need that is at another library 50 miles away, it will come to my library and at no charge! It makes me very happy that it gives people who live in towns of population 500 and rural areas access to so much more! I volunteer at my library and am a huge supporter of it (can't you tell?).

message 12: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments That's great!

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Yeah, the Wisconsin public library is great, anything to your nearest location, and no fees for DVD and VHS rentals!

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments Elizabeth, it seems like every time we're on the same thread one of us mentions something about our great state. Usually it's WPT. I'm anxious to see the last ep of Doc Martin and am craving more new Royal episodes. WPT Saturday Night rules! I have no social life, but my BBC friends bring me so much joy on Saturday and Sunday nights.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Exactly! Monday always seems like a let down after the great weekend tv! But us Midwesterners, we do strive for the good things. I have two friends visiting from Canada right now and they are very jealous of the new branch of our library and all our wonderful bike trails. Go Wisconsin!

message 16: by Zala (new)

Zala I would really love to buy The Vicar of Dibley, Coupling and Black Adder. Those are one of my all-time favourite british series (with a bonus of Hugh Laurie in Black Adder, yay!) and a Bit of Fry and Lauire (this one only because of Hugh Laurie - though Fry is a really good actor as well). Only Fools and Horses is a really great show too. Oh, there are just too many ...
I don't have money for any of them, though, plus the postage from US would be just too high. Now excuse me, I'll go to my room and cry. :(

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Vicar of Dibley has to be one of the best shows ever with characters that are just so sweet and funny! Coupling was awesome till season 4 (I hate the "replacement Jeff" as I call him) and Blackadder, I was in such dire need recently I rewatched the whole series.

message 18: by Zala (new)

Zala I don't think I watched the 4th season of Coupling, only the first two. Probably I won't be able to watch it soon unless one of the tv channels here decide to run it. The first two seasons where hillarious, though, I really loved them. :)

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments I totally agree about Vicar. Every time I hear mention of Stephen Hawking, I start laughing hysterically because I think of Frank talking like him. Pure genius. I also totally agree about Coupling and "replacement Jeff." I'll watch anything with Hugh Laurie and/or Stephen Fry. I very much enjoyed Fortysomething with Hugh. I just watched Suburban Shootout. It's like the Desperate Housewives gals as gun-toting vigilantes. Hugh's wife on Fortysomething and Perpetua from Bridget Jones are in the show. Very funny.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Well suburban housewives with guns is always funny!

message 21: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hmatkins) Zala, it's interesting you mentioned Coupling. I just rented it from my Netflix. :) I hope it's good. I need some new TV to watch. Small TV world. I am a sucker and bought the Elizabeth Gaskell collection. I was wanting to watch North and South, but I couldn't find it at a rental store. So I bought it. Ah... I guess it will be a gift to myself! :)

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments Amazon is the den of evil. I bought Absolutely Fabulous: Absolutely Everything. I couldn't pass it up! All the hours of entertainment for more than half off. It was my "I just got a new job" treat to myself.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Yeah, I inadvertently signed up for the amazon prime, for $80 you get free 2nd day shipping for a year. So I always say....the shipping is free, bad bad trap I've gotten into there!

message 24: by AngieA (last edited Aug 09, 2009 09:25AM) (new)

AngieA (angelwings55) Elizabeth wrote: "Vicar of Dibley has to be one of the best shows ever with characters that are just so sweet and funny! Coupling was awesome till season 4 (I hate the "replacement Jeff" as I call him) and Blackadde..."

I always really enjoy the Vicar. I think one of my favorite episodes is the one where the gorgeous guy comes to her door and she misunderstands his request to marry him. LOL.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments And I really like in the series finale when the even more gorgeous guy (aka Richard Armitage) shows up and asks her to marry him and she pulls out her date book, just not catching on that it's the exact opposite as before!

Also love that that first guy was just on Torchwood.

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments I was so torked the last Vicar DVD didn't have the Red Nose Day episode when Geraldine and Harry do wife swap with Sting and Trudie. I heart Sting.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Yeah! Why did they not include it!?! It seemed so random, they have all the other ones on the DVD set from the one with Ballykissangel to the Hockney Smurf (my fav.ever).

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments As owner of a couple Smurf figurines myself, I also loved the Hockney smurf Red Nose Day special! And I loved seeing Gerry kiss Father Clifford from BallyK. That man needed kissing, and BAD! SO MAD at the end of season 3 of BallyK, but I still own it because I love the tension between Peter and Assumpta. LOVE IT.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Yeah, they really destroyed that show, and fast. And then the "re-building" was working and they destroyed it again. Thinking about how good a show it was that went bad, uuuurg!

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments I watched series 4, and I might have given series 5 a try, but I heard what happened to Ambrose and didn't want to see that. Plus, Colin Farrell annoys me and I didn't like to see his character brooding all over my show!

message 31: by AngieA (new)

AngieA (angelwings55) Amy wrote: "I watched series 4, and I might have given series 5 a try, but I heard what happened to Ambrose and didn't want to see that. Plus, Colin Farrell annoys me and I didn't like to see his character bro..."

Oh, dear, I had forgotten all about BallyK! I will go looking for that one on DVD.