Horror Aficionados discussion

Favorite Sub-genre of Horror?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Emm - "That Book You Like is Coming Back in Style" (last edited Jan 19, 2017 11:54AM) (new)

Emm - "That Book You Like is Coming Back in Style" | 68 comments Sorry if this has been posted before. There's so many different types, I was just curious to see what everyone thought. Of course, there's no best sub-genre, they've all got good books to offer.
Personally, I'm more a fan of psychological and dark fantasy.

message 2: by Forrest (new)

Forrest | 253 comments Cosmic horror.

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Barnett | 186 comments Hmm, probably psychological horror for me as well. But any good horror in my mind is psychological, so that gets tricky. I also do enjoy cosmic horror . . . eh, who am I kidding? I like it all if it's done right.

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) My favorites are supernatural and cosmic horror. I'm a big fan of dark fantasy as well.

message 5: by Char (new)

Char  | 13891 comments Mod
Psychological, atmospheric, cosmic...yeah, pretty much all of it.

message 6: by Angel (new)

Angel | 48 comments Mystery/thriller-noir/steampunk

message 7: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6523 comments I'm a fan of hardcore horror, hardboiled (noir), YA (not sparkly vampires) and contemporary horror in Victorian settings.

My other love is Sherlock Holmes. I love a good horror Holmes pastiche.

Want to turn me off? Romance....I hate romance in my horror.

message 8: by Angel (last edited Jan 19, 2017 01:08PM) (new)

Angel | 48 comments Great! I love Sherlock Holmes. I'm a die hard fan. My favorite is "The Hound of the Baskervilles."

message 9: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2736 comments Cosmic horror, lovecraftian horror and bizarro.

message 10: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6523 comments Angel wrote: "Great! I love Sherlock Holmes. I'm a die hard fan. My favorite is "The Hound of the Baskervilles.""

Another GR group for you the:

Baker Street Irregulars
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Not nearly as active as this group. But a bunch of good members. Probably just needs a better moderator (hint: I am the moderator).

message 11: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6523 comments I forgot to mention Lovecraftian, weird western and southern gothic horror.

message 12: by Angel (last edited Jan 19, 2017 01:51PM) (new)

Angel | 48 comments I love Nathaniel Hawthorne, specifically "The House of Seven Gables." Edgar Allan Poe forever fangirl. Southern Gothic is one of my favorite also. I also like psychological horror, atmospheric depends if it's done well. "The Twilight Zone" is my favorite bread and butter, too. I also like 1920s, 1930s and 1940s classics and I'm a die hard Alfred Hitchcock fan. Supernatural/Paranormal depends also if its done well.

Emm - "That Book You Like is Coming Back in Style" | 68 comments Angel wrote: "I love Nathaniel Hawthorne, specifically "The House of Seven Gables." Edgar Allan Poe forever fangirl. Southern Gothic is one of my favorite also. I also like psychological horror, atmospheric depe..."

Agreed. Poe is the best. :) I like gothic horror as long as it's not overly romantic.

message 14: by Angel (new)

Angel | 48 comments Emm ♆ wrote: "Angel wrote: "I love Nathaniel Hawthorne, specifically "The House of Seven Gables." Edgar Allan Poe forever fangirl. Southern Gothic is one of my favorite also. I also like psychological horror, at..."

I'm ok with it to a degree, if it has a dark sensuality to the romance parts, even though I'm not exactly a romance fan, if romance is in it and not the central theme then I don't have a problem with it.

message 15: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments I have a soft spot for ghosts and haunted houses.

I'm kind of burned out on vampires, zombies, and werewolves. I sometimes will give them a shot if someone gives me a strong recommendation.

message 16: by Troy (new)

Troy (robotroym) I love all sub-genres of horror which is why I enjoy non-themed short story collections so much. You can usually get a good mix of genres. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be paranormal. I always change up genres between books to have some variety (unless of course I'm reading a series).

message 17: by Nichole (last edited Jan 19, 2017 05:27PM) (new)

Nichole | 27 comments While all horror story genres are enjoyable, my favorites would have to be Gothic horror and psychological thrillers.

message 18: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 597 comments Ghosts, haunted houses, and pretty much anything gothic:-).

message 19: by T.W. (new)

T.W. Faison (goodreadscomtwfaison) | 56 comments Psychological and cosmic. Either something like the Hannibal Lector series or Lovecraft.

Emm - "That Book You Like is Coming Back in Style" | 68 comments Psychological I think tends to leave the most powerful impression.
I also like occult and surreal horror, but they're a bit rarer to come across than most, it seems.
(But if I'm honest, all the sub-genres are great. There aren't any that have been consistently bad, not that I've read.)

message 21: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Atmospheric, splatter, erotic, quiet. Basically all of it as long as it's well written.

message 22: by Peter (new)

Peter Tenuto | 44 comments My favorites tend to be cross-generric, but I suppose Gothic or anything that gives you psychological, under-your-skin feelings, the kind of books that make it hard to sleep at night...

message 23: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Moore | 1 comments Body Horror is definitely the most fascinating and diverse subgenre for me.

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5844 comments Mod
Supernatural, atmospheric, Lovecraftian, are my general favorites, but I like to mix it up once in a while. ;)

message 25: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Atmospheric and quiet...

message 26: by JL (new)

JL Shioshita (uberproductions) | 149 comments Big fan of cosmic, Lovecraftian horror, psychological and supernatural horror. If it's got some mystery to it all the better.

message 27: by David (last edited Jan 26, 2017 07:00AM) (new)

David Edwards | 2 comments Forrest wrote: "Cosmic horror."

Yep, that's my lane too. Some of my favorite authors are Ramsey Campbell, Cody Goodfellow, Laird Barron and Thomas Ligotti. I can also enjoy the occasional Lovecraftian sword & sorcery tale. I'm currently making my way through Karl Edward Wagner's Kane series. The cosmic elements are a welcome respite from the usual Tolkienisms, but the dialogue and depiction of women are distressingly poor.

message 28: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3581 comments Anything creepy that will scare the daylights out of you! :)

Emm - "That Book You Like is Coming Back in Style" | 68 comments One you don't really see much of (not really sure if it would even be counted as a genre) I'd like to add would be medical horror. Nowhere quite has the creepy feel of a medical setting. Tends to get grouped in with psychological or another genre, I guess. :/

message 30: by David (new)

David Edwards | 2 comments Joshua wrote: "Big fan of cosmic, Lovecraftian horror, psychological and supernatural horror. If it's got some mystery to it all the better."

Have you read any of Brian Lumley's Titus Crow books? I put up a review of the first entry in the series today...

http://www.nightscapeseries.com/blog-...

message 31: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 325 comments Love Lumley's "Necroscope" series.

message 32: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Horror Poetry and Western Horror.

message 33: by David (new)

David Edwards | 2 comments Bob wrote: "Love Lumley's "Necroscope" series."

I've ordered the first book in the series and will put it atop my TBR stack as soon as I receive it. I'm currently reading the second Kane book by Karl Edward Wagner, Dark Crusade. It's a fairly engrossing mix of Lovecraftian horror and sword & sorcery.

message 34: by JL (new)

JL Shioshita (uberproductions) | 149 comments David wrote: "Joshua wrote: "Big fan of cosmic, Lovecraftian horror, psychological and supernatural horror. If it's got some mystery to it all the better."

Have you read any of Brian Lumley's Titus Crow books? ..."

I have not. I'll have to check to it out. Thanks for recommendation.

message 35: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments For me the top would be ghosts and hauntings, though I also enjoy occult and Native American and / or South American mythology elements

message 36: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5844 comments Mod
Robert wrote: "For me the top would be ghosts and hauntings, though I also enjoy occult and Native American and / or South American mythology elements"

Occult and anything involving mythological elements are high on my list!

message 37: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Bielawa | -51 comments Atmospheric and supernatural are my favorites. I like to mix up authors and styles to keep me surprised.

Really I enjoy anything except graphic gore. I get it, it comes with the territory and a little's ok. But when the author is just trying to gross me out or outdo others, I'll skip ahead.

Just seeing the variety of answers here tells me I won't be bored anytime soon!

message 38: by Maxine (new)

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) (booklovercatlady) | 39 comments Mine would be Urban Horror, Contemporary Horror, Psychological Horror, Ghostly/Hauntings/Possessions Horror. Recently enjoyed some Splatterpunk too. What I don't like? Lots of sex mixed with horror.

message 39: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10840 comments Mod
vampires, witches, cults, haunted houses, almost anything as long as it isn't violent. but those 4 words in a book's description will grab my attention.

message 40: by Latasha (new)

Robert wrote: "For me the top would be ghosts and hauntings, though I also enjoy occult and Native American and / or South American mythology elements"

I agree!

message 41: by Latasha (new)

Kimberly wrote: "Robert wrote: "For me the top would be ghosts and hauntings, though I also enjoy occult and Native American and / or South American mythology elements"

Occult and anything involving mythological e..."

definitely :)

message 42: by Jazmin (new)

Jazmin | 25 comments Vampires >:)

message 43: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments I'm not sure I have a favorite. I enjoy all the various aspects of the differing sub-genres, although i'd probably list slasher/torture stories with little characterization as my least favorite.

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) Paranormal/Supernatural is definitely my favorite.

message 45: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I'll add Psychological Thriller/Horror to my list as well. Sort of like the topic we have here of what horrific moments are in non horror movies. I like a good Psychological Thriller that's so inept and dark that it coats itself in small notations of horror.

message 46: by Angel (last edited Apr 24, 2017 12:51PM) (new)

Angel | 48 comments Mystery/thriller/suspense

message 47: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 925 comments mystery/thriller, haunted houses, vampires

message 48: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 754 comments Psychological horror

message 49: by Scott (new)

Scott | 42 comments I have trouble classifying horror, even after I read all the above posts. As long as it's well-written and makes me care about the characters, I'm in. Even some of the "extreme" horror works, though some is hard to read. I tried to figure out what it was that I liked about it, and I realized that it was when the author was successful making me care about his or her characters.

William Malmborg is someone I like a lot. So is Bryan Smith.

message 50: by Nix (new)

Nix Muse (nixmuse) | 6 comments Supernatural, paranormal, ghosty, and psychological/parallel universe/dimension.

« previous 1 3