What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Faraway Dream
This topic is about Faraway Dream
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA novel, 1800s/early 1900s, girl working in aunt's tailor shop

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nóinín (last edited Feb 21, 2018 05:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nóinín (fagurfifill) | 156 comments I read this around 1975, but it may have been written much earlier: A young girl comes to live with her aunt and uncle in a big US city (NYC?) and at first does not like her new life very much, especially having to help out in aunt's tailor shop. She later befriends a young kid (a boy?) from the neighborhood who, too, has to work for a living. There's some discontentment with, or lack of, some article of clothing (a warm winter coat?) and our heroine finds she can help out using her new-found sewing skills together with some spare material from her aunt's workshop. Morale: It's good, if not always exactly fun, to be independent and able to do stuff for yourself (a bit like Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher )
I'm sorry I'm so vague about the details, I read this just the once, and it's such a long time ago. I can't even say what has so suddenly brought it back to my mind now, but now that it has, I can't seem to let go, so I'd very much appreciate any kind of hint.

message 2: by Nóinín (last edited Feb 19, 2018 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nóinín (fagurfifill) | 156 comments I've found it: Faraway Dream by Jane Flory.