Mirabal's English Class discussion

January Book Report

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vivian (last edited Jan 19, 2017 10:59AM) (new)

Vivian (MsMirabal) | 7 comments Mod
Please post your book report as a comment in this thread.
Don't forget to link your book and author to the report.

message 2: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 4 comments I Hunt Killers
The title of the book is "I Hunt Killers" by Barry Lyga. The genre of the book is mystery, thrillers, young adults, and horror. The book takes place in 2012 in a small town called Lobo's Nod.
Jasper Dent is seventeen years old and he is the son of the most famous serial killer. Jasper is intelligent because he figured out who was the one that murdered five people. G. William Tanner is the sheriff of Lobo's Nod. He is the man that brought Jasper's dad to prison because he was a serial killer. Billy Dent is the infamous serial killer that had killed over a hundred people including his wife. Billy Dent had taught Jasper everything he knows about being a serial killer when he was little.
The main idea of the story is to always believe in yourself and that you are never alone. In the story Jazz would always say that everyone is afraid of him because he is a serial killer and that he is always alone, but he has friends that are no afraid of him and is willing to stay by his side. I believe that the people that would enjoy this book are the people that like to read mystery and horror books.
Yes, I enjoyed this book because it has the genre that I like and it was amazing that Jasper was forced to hunt down his father in order to protect the people that he loves. My classmates would enjoy this book because it is about a kid who's father is a serial killer and was forced to find out who was killing the people like his father did in the past. I would recommend this book to other people because it shows how Jasper could do anything when he is not alone.

message 3: by Armonni (new)

Armonni Hamlin | 5 comments Out of My Mind

Out of My Mind Book Report

Out of My Mind By Sharon Draper Book Report by Jaimie Ryou Exposition Theme The theme is being left out/sticking out. The setting is at Spaulding Street Elementary School characters Melody, Melody's Mom, Melody's Dad, Penny, Mrs. V, Rose, Catherine, Claire, Mr. D, Connor, and Buttercup. Melody who can't walk or talk has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is always on. She's the smartest kid at her school but no one knows that. She can't feed herself, can't go to the restroom by herself, can't tell her parents she loves them, and can't show how smart she is. Unable to do anything Melody goes out of her mind until she finds something that becomes her voice and wheels, but some people might not want that. Melody trying to fit in a class of regular children. Melody, now able to talk, talks about how she lives with her disabilities and how she goes to this room in her school for people with disabilities. There is a complication when Melody leaves the place she will always fit in and joins some regular classes. While in these classes not everyone is as nice is her best friend Rose, but there are other people who are not as accepting of her disabilities. Melody enters a battle of brains competition to prove she is capable. Melody wins the first round of the Whiz Kids Competition with her team. Due to this win the whole team is allowed to move to the next round in Washington D.C. Melody goes to the airport to go to Washington D.C. to but finds out the flight has been cancelled and her team left her. When Melody arrives, she goes to her regular classes with her team mates and confronts them about them leaving her. Her team try to make up for what they did by giving them the trophy they and Melody breaks it and goings out of the room laughing, saying you deserve that. At this point melody comes to the conclusion that even if she was normal, she would always stick out. She would fit in but she would stick out.

message 4: by Darrinthuy (last edited Jan 27, 2017 08:55AM) (new)

Darrinthuy | 4 comments Stormbreaker
Darrin Thuy
Ms. Mirabal
Period 3
1-25-17

Alex rider- Alex Rider, an average British teenager whose life is about to seriously change.Alex goes through over the course of Stormbreaker. Alex is only able to get through his trials because he is able to adapt, growing into a man.Alex was forced into m16 after m16 noticed his talents.

Plot- An outwardly ordinary orphaned teenager student Alex Rider who lives with his uncle, a boring bank manager, or so it seems until his uncle, Ian Rider, disappears. his entire youth was part of an elaborate plan to create the perfect super spy. Recruited by Mr. Blunt and Mrs. Jones, and armed with special gadgets, he embarks on his first mission. The story takes place in Port Tallon and London. Herod Sayle and his creation, the revolutionary and newly developed computer called Stormbreaker, which Sayle is donating to every school in england. Alex later discovers that the Stormbreakers contain a deadly virus and that Sayle is planning to kill British schoolchildren. In the end, Alex foils his plan and succeeds in his first mission.

Conflict- Everything starts when Alex's uncle and caretaker, Ian Rider, is killed in a car accident. Alex is devastated by the news and worried about his future, but he has questions about the official story—nothing seems to add up. Alex only gets more suspicious after he meets his uncle's bank coworkers, who all seem like they have something to hide.

Resolution - Yassen explains that Sayle had become an embarrassment to the people he (Yassen) worked for, so he had to be eliminated. Knowing that he is facing his uncle's killer, Alex tells Yassen he will one day kill him, but Yassen brushes aside the comment and tells Alex to drop the spy business and become a normal schoolboy again, before leaving in the helicopter.

Theme - I think the theme is that children and teens can accomplish much more than is expected of them, and that they can have large impacts on the world. I think that this is the theme because Alex never thought that he would be a spy and saving many kids lives.

Recommendation- Yes i would recommend this book. I would recommend this book because it was really good and i liked it. I liked this book because it has a lot of action and it and it’s really cool how a regular kid became a spy and saved lives. I would put this book at my top 10 favorite books because it was really good. I think people who like action movies or spy stuff would really like this book.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 4 comments The book that I am writing about is called Rite Of Passage by Richard Wright and the main character of this autobiography is Johnny Gibbs. Johnny Gibbs is known to be a good student that respects his teachers and a boy that loves his family with all his heart. There was a day when Johnny came home from school and was greeted with a strange behavior from his family. At first they were quiet but as he starts asking them questions, they finally speak. They reveal to him that they’re not his real family and that he’s gonna be picked up by his new parents. He makes a bold move and decides to run away from home.
The plot of this story starts when Johnny’s family reveals that they’re not his real family. Johnny was confused, hurt and lost after they revealed the truth to him. He couldn’t accept reality and decides to run away forever. Johnny couldn’t think of a place to go so he automatically thought of his best friend (aka Billy) but he couldn’t trust him fully. He’s afraid that Billy will backstab him and tell his parents where he is at. But when Johnny told Billy not to tell on him, he convinces Johnny that he wouldn’t do such a thing and tells Johnny to follow him somewhere. That’s when Billy tells Johnny that he’s in a gang and that the gang will accept Johnny as a member of the gang after hearing his story.
The conflict of Rite Of Passage starts when Baldy (the leader of the gang) got offended by Johnny’s question when he asked how old he was. Johnny didn’t mean to offend Baldy by that question but Baldy got furious and wanted to kill him. Johnny kept begging Baldy that he didn’t want to fight but he was furious at the moment so he wanted to fight him. Baldy started to attack Johnny so Johnny fought back for self defense. Surprisingly, Johnny was stronger than Baldy because he knocked him out. He was curious to know why the gang didn’t jump in and help Baldy.
The resolution begins when Baldy wakes up from consciousness and tells Johnny that he’s the new leader of the group. He didn’t know what to do so the gang slowly guides him on how to jump someone and how to get food or money. When the gang jumped an old man, Johnny heard a woman screaming them to stop and oddly he wanted her to catch them.
From my opinion, I think Johnny doesn’t want to be in the gang anymore and that he wants to go back home.The theme of this story is about a life. From my perspective, I think the author is trying to show us how life is but in a tough way. I would recommend this book to those who love reading autobiography. Rite of Passage

message 6: by Josh (new)

Josh | 4 comments The​ ​Lightning​ ​Thief​ ​by​ ​Rick​ ​Riordan​ ​is​ ​a​ ​greek​ ​mythological,​ ​fantasy,​ ​and​ ​Fiction​ ​genre.​ ​The​ ​book The Lightning Thieftakes​ ​place​ ​in​ ​modern​ ​time​ ​in​ ​New​ ​York.​ ​There​ ​are​ ​multiple​ ​characters​ ​that​ ​make​ ​this​ ​book​ ​complete.
One​ ​of​ ​the​ ​main​ ​characters​ ​is​ ​Percy.​ ​Percy​ ​is​ ​a​ ​greek​ ​demigod​ ​and​ ​also​ ​the​ ​son​ ​of​ ​Poseidon,​ ​god of​ ​sea.​ ​At​ ​first​ ​Percy​ ​was​ ​clueless​ ​at​ ​first,​ ​he​ ​wasn’t​ ​sure​ ​what​ ​was​ ​going​ ​on.​ ​Percy​ ​was​ ​very​ ​careless and​ ​always​ ​moved​ ​schools​ ​because​ ​he’s​ ​a​ ​troublemaker.​ ​The​ ​second​ ​main​ ​character​ ​is​ ​Grover.​ ​Grover​ ​is a​ ​Satyr,​ ​half​ ​man​ ​and​ ​half​ ​goat.​ ​His​ ​job​ ​is​ ​to​ ​protect​ ​Percy​ ​from​ ​danger.​ ​Grover​ ​was​ ​always​ ​there​ ​for Percy​ ​when​ ​help​ ​was​ ​needed.​ ​Grover​ ​wasn’t​ ​really​ ​the​ ​best​ ​protector​ ​because​ ​he​ ​would​ ​get​ ​frustrated really​ ​quickly​ ​and​ ​is​ ​very​ ​small.​ ​Grover​ ​dream​ ​is​ ​to​ ​become​ ​to​ ​become​ ​the​ ​very​ ​best​ ​protector.​ ​The​ ​third main​ ​character​ ​is​ ​Annabeth.​ ​Annabeth​ ​is​ ​the​ ​goddess​ ​of​ ​wisdom,​ ​crafts,​ ​and​ ​war.​ ​She​ ​is​ ​also​ ​a​ ​demigod like​ ​percy.​​ ​​Annabeth​ ​was​ ​the​ ​very​ ​first​ ​person​ ​at​ ​Camp​ ​Half​ Blood,​ ​she​ ​and​ ​three​ ​others​ ​were​ ​attacked by​ ​a​ ​cyclops.​ ​The​ ​girl​ ​who​ ​died​ ​became​ ​the​ ​protector​ ​of​ ​Camp​ ​Half​ ​Blood.
Identity​ ​is​ ​the​ ​main​ ​idea​ ​of​ ​The​ ​Lightning​ ​Thief​ ​because​ ​Percy​ ​did​ ​not​ ​know​ ​who​ ​he​ ​was​ ​truly was.​ ​People​ ​who​ ​are​ ​interested​ ​in​ ​Legends,​ ​myths,​ ​and​ ​adventure​ ​would​ ​be​ ​really​ ​into​ ​this​ ​book.​ ​This​ ​book has​ ​a​ ​lot​ ​of​ ​action​ ​happening​ ​and​ ​every​ ​second,​ ​new​ ​things​ ​happen.​ ​This​ ​book​ ​won’t​ ​let​ ​you​ ​ever​ ​get bored.
Every​ ​aspect​ ​of​ ​this​ ​book​ ​I​ ​enjoyed.​ ​There​ ​wasn’t​ ​a​ ​time​ ​where​ ​it​ ​started​ ​to​ ​get​ ​boring.​ ​This​ ​book brings​ ​gods​ ​and​ ​goddesses​ ​alive.​ ​You​ ​might​ ​learn​ ​a​ ​thing​ ​or​ ​two​ ​during​ ​reading​ ​this​ ​book.​ ​There’s​ ​so​ ​much action​ ​in​ ​this​ ​book.​ ​It​ ​talks​ ​about​ ​different​ ​gods​ ​and​ ​goddesses.​ ​I would​ ​recommend​ ​this​ ​book​ ​to​ ​everyone.
It’s​ ​very​ ​good​ ​and​ ​interesting.​ ​Who​ ​wouldn’t​ ​want​ ​to​ ​learn​ ​about​ ​myths?

message 7: by Anthony (last edited Jan 25, 2017 12:06PM) (new)

Anthony | 4 comments I Hunt Killers Barry Lyga

My book report is based on the mystery/thriller novel I Hunt Killers, written by Barry Lyga. The story takes place in a town called Lobos Nod and revolves around Jasper Francis Dent, or more commonly known as Jazz a 17 year old boy who happens to be pretty popular in town but for the wrong reasons, sheriff G. William who is famous for catching the infamous serial killer Billy (Jasper’s father) and Howie Gersten. Jaspers best friend and one of a handful of people that believe that Jasper won’t follow his father’s footsteps.

The story takes place after 4 years of Billy’s capture. Even though Billy was the only serial killer in Lobos Nod, a series of murders starts up again and gets Jasper’s attention. The police struggle with the first corpse, Jasper feels entitled to help even if G. William didn’t want him to do anything. Jasper gets Howie to help him out to sneak into a forensics lab to help him with the body. This is only the beginning of a series of events on Jasper’s story on finding and capturing the new serial killer in the Nod.
I believe people who enjoy a lot of suspense and gore or mystery would like this book. In my case I enjoyed the book a lot, Jasper is a character that many can sympathize.

The book leaves many cliffhangers at the end of every chapter leaving questions of what’s to come. I know some of my friends and family members who could get highly interested in this novel. Jasper’s story could be really appealing to them in more than one way.

message 8: by Melody (last edited Jan 26, 2017 09:22AM) (new)

Melody | 4 comments "its Kind of a Funny Story" Novel by Ned Vizzini takes place in Manhattan New York . When Craig moved schools and was put under so much pressure he stopped eating and sleeping he nearly killed himself. He thought he was in love with his best friends girlfriend whom he thought was perfect however while in rehab he met a girl who was the complete apposite of her her face had scars and he fell in love with her. He made friends while being in rehab. People who aren't happy with how there life is going at the moment would enjoy this book because its not depressing at all even if its a book about depression. Not all my classmates would enjoy reading this book , it'll be "triggering" for some. However i would recommend this book, because it gives a message that there's hope in everything. I did enjoy the aspects of this book, i enjoyed how he turned all his sadness into happiness. He made new friends cut off friendships and a crush he thought he'd have always have.
It's Kind of a Funny Story

message 9: by Abel (new)

Abel Olmos | 4 comments In the novel, Saint Iggy, by K.C.Going the main character is Iggy Corso. Other characters are Mo, Mo’s mom Joan and Freddi the drug dealer. In the beginning of the story it takes place at Iggy’s school from there it goes to Iggy’s house, then to Mo’s house, then to Joan’s house and finally behind a church.
One day Iggy made a bad choice of following a hot girl to her classroom and the teacher and called security and they took him to Principle Olmos that said that Iggy was going to be kicked out of school and that there is going to be a hiering to determine if he was going to go back to school or not. The main idea of the story is that Iggy want to go back to school so he think of a plan that will change everybody mind about him so they will let him back into school.
At the end of the story when they were about to pay of the drug dealer the money but he took out the gun he has and Iggy took it away from him and after that there were two gun shot one coming for Iggy and another one from the police that shot Iggy that wasn’t sure if he shot someone that was going to commit a murder or someone protecting himself.
I liked how they made the main character because he is actually really kind but at the same time dumb because at the end of the story he gave up his chance of going to the hiering to see if he can go back to school or not. Some of my classmates might enjoy to read this book if they like how the stories change of event. Like when he has always planned to find his mom and take her back home with him but when he finds her instead of waking her up to take her home he leaves her there sleeping. I would recommend this book to people because the book is about a kid that his parents are into drugs and that kid has problems in school and none of them are there for him when he needs them so he has to deal with everything all on his own.

message 10: by Annayexy (new)

Annayexy | 4 comments The book i am reading is called “ speak “, The main character name is Melinda Sordino. This girl struggles with entering the first day of high school. All her friends stopped talking to her so on her first day she was alone. Her friends ignored her during lunch and for the rest of her life. Everyone had their own kind of type of friends. Melinda would do so good in school and her education would always come first. She really does miss her old friends because they were so close and knew everything about each other. She met this girl she suffered through many things but they were still friends and no making fun of each other. Everyone didn't like talking to her because some things had happen and once she spoke up things had change. Her school was nice and big. She learned so many things and discovered them as well.
Speak

message 11: by Jose (new)

Jose Caro (JoseCaro) | 4 comments Woodsong by Gary Paulsen “Woodsong”

In the fiction story, “ Woodsong”, by. Gary Paulsen, is about a man who travels with his sled dogs, where he is out in the cold wilderness nature, where he experiences different things with his sled dogs. Therefore, his sled dogs and him determine whether they survive or not in the Arctic. In this story, the main characters are Gary Paulsen and the Sled Dogs, who run with Gary Paulsen. Gary works with a company that works with dogs and trains them with a team.

In this story, the setting and events occurred in Alaska/ Minnesota where Gary and the sled dogs went. They had gone because they sent them on a mission because they were gonna race against others. But, what happened was that Gary wasn't comfortable with the weather because it was too cold. That's why he wasn't used to the weather but he still survived in that weather.

As Gary and the sled dogs were out in the arctic, they had some difficult stuff like Gary couldn't sleep well because he was freezing. Also, they were almost going the wrong path in the woods. But they went back to the right path, and went from there. Also, they found themselves polar bears. The polar bears were about to attack Gary and the sled dogs but they had a chance to run away from the polar bears. But other than that, they were find and just doing what they needed to do.

The way Gary and the sled dogs solved these problems that they were that to get used to the weather, they were just running and running to get ready for the race that they had. So, they just took food also and water to eat while they were there. Therefore, they were prepared to go to this mission and race against the others. Likewise, that is how they solved their problems in the arctic.

As a result, I think the theme for this fiction story is that Gary needed to know how to trust the dogs when they were his source of transportation. Also, he learned that when he didn't trust them, there was a serious price to pay. Therefore, he needs to take good care of them. I think that the message that the author wanted me to get was that it's good to have a dog with u to play with them, and also to take care of them. Yes, I would recommend this book to one of my friends, so they can read it something new and learn new things from this book. I think the type of person who read this book is a person who loves dogs and enjoys the sled dogs.

message 12: by Nyi (last edited Jan 26, 2017 12:52PM) (new)

Nyi Nyi | 3 comments The Boy in the Striped PajamasThe book i am reading is "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" by John Bayne, in this novel the story takes place at a small place called Berlin.Bruno is a person that really like adventure and he want to help his friend. Shmuel is a person who like adventure to but he is a Jew and Katler doesn't like Jew. Katler is a really strict person and he really don't like Jews. The main idea is that Bruno want to be a adventurer with his friend Shmuel and he also want to help his friend. the audience that would like this book is people who enjoy reading adventure and a book with a sad ending. I do enjoy what Bruno did and also what he did to help his friend and also i enjoyed it because how Bruno cares about his loved one and don't want to leave them. My classmate would like this book if they like book that is sad and a book that has some adventure to it. i think people would love this book out side of school because i'm the type of people that don't like reading but i loved this book.

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 3 comments Drew Brees a novel by Matt Christopher, takes place at Drew's high school. Drew wanted to be a QB and he also wanted to make it to the NFL. When Drew wanted to play a game the coach didn't let him because he was short. Drew's parents were athletes so Drew also wanted to be an athlete. One day drew told his mother that the coach didn't let him play and his mother told him that you'r gong to have to wait tell they pick you. When there was a game the stating QB got injured so the coach told him he could play. Then they saw how good Drew was and that i didn't matter how small or tall you were. The main idea is about how Drew Brees had to go threw to become a QB in the NFL. Anyone that likes football would enjoy reading this book. I enjoyed reading this book because it shows how hard it was for Drew. It also showed that you can be anything you want to be. I think that some of the classmates could enjoy this book if they are intrested in football. I would recommend this book to my friends because I know that they would like to know how Drew Brees became on of the best QB in NFL.

message 14: by Lan (new)

Lan | 4 comments Lan Tran Nguyen
Mirabal
Period 3
January 24, 2017

The title of the book that I’m reading about is called Forged By Fire by Sharon M. Draper and the genre of this book is realistic fiction. The main character in this book is Gerald and the story takes place in Hazelwood Trilogy. He’s an African boy who struggles with his life after the death of his aunt.
This story begins with Gerald when he was three years old and when he use to live with his single mother. The main idea of the book is about Gerald’s life and what he has to do in order to face his fears. Gerald’s mother visits a drug dealer and she leaves Gerald home alone for many hours. Because he’s staying home by himself. He don’t have anything to do so he was playing with the lighter. Gerald moves from right to left and a curtain ignites. The house was on fire. He wakes up in a hospital and he was looking for his mother. Aunt Queen claims that she is going to become Gerald’s new legal guardian. A few years later, Gerald find out that his mom was in jail because she left a three years old boy in the house by himself. After she getting out of the jail she getting married a man named Jordan and his little sister named Angel. After Aunt Queen died he was moving back to live with his mom and her new family. Gerald live there for a while but in that time there so many problems happen to Gerald. Jordan was drinking and doing drug. Every times he get mad, Jordan hit Angel. Gerald was so mad and he was trying to make Jordan go to jail but there’s nothing to prove that he’d abuse Angel. One day, Jordan comes home drunk and attempts to rape Angel. Gerald comes home from school to fight Jordan. After the fire burns. Jordan dies and Angel and Gerald lives with their mother again. They look forward to the new life ahead of them. The author want us to understand that whenever anything happened to you, you have to stand up and keep walking even those it’s not easy but there is other people can help you like your family or your friends.
This book fairly or maybe you’ll like it if you like the title of family and emotional. I recommend for everyone to read this book because it’s so good and I will make my friends read it. This book did make me cries. I hope you have a good time and enjoy this book.Forged by Fire

message 15: by Haley (new)

Haley | 4 comments The book that I’m writing about is “The Things A Brother Know” by Dana Reinhardt. The main characters are Boaz, Levi, and Pearl. Boaz is a good student with good grades but decides to go to the military after school. Levi is Boaz brother. Both were very close before Boaz left. Levi is 17 years old and is in high school and applies to a job. And, he has two friends Zim and Pearl.

After a long time, Boaz finally came home. He was quiet and didn’t talk much. It past a while and Boaz will always be in his room. That’s when Levi tried to figure out what was going on. Levi is trying to get Boaz back home like before he left to go to the military.

The conflict of the story is that Boaz has an untold story that he doesn’t want to tell anybody. Levi wants to know but Boaz won’t tell him nothing. Boaz is not telling nobody because they don’t want to hear the things that happened where he was.

One day Boaz told his family that he was going to the appalachian mountains. Levi didn’t believe Boaz because he saw maps in his room with other places marked. Boaz left to his trip and like two days later, Levi was going too and Boaz didn’t know. Levi wanted to know where he was going so, he followed him with a map he found in Boaz’s room. Days past and Levi found Boaz. And Boaz didn’t tell Levi nothing but Levi followed him in his trails. That’s when at the end, they were going to a protest. Levi didn’t know for what it was for. But later In the protest Boaz tells the untold story.

The author wanted me to get from this book is that something you got to follow something’s trails to find the untold stories. I would recommend this book to readers who like reading about untold stories.
The Things a Brother Knows

message 16: by Angel (new)

Angel Fuentes | 1 comments The title of the book is Black Top Jane By Ljalong. The story takes place in a small town in the summer time, there mainly at the recreation center practicing.Some of the main characters are Jane,Justin and Couch
Jane is a girl who's a tomboy but her granny's always comparing her to her older twin sisters. She takes pride in how she plays and never gives up.Justin's in deep love with Jane but he's a really shy guy.He plays on a team with Jane and some of his other friends he's very tall and kind of light skinded. Couch is the one who trains the teenagers but he does not only train the kids he helps them become who they are. The main idea is the game at the end of the story that they worked so very hard to win but sadly they don’t win but the score was close to being a tie and that's more than any team has gotten against them. The people who might like this book are probably athletes because the books about sports.
This book was about a team and a couch preparing themselves for the BIG game. Although i'm a big fan of basketball i didn't enjoy the book as much as i thought i would. Mainly because it seemed as if it was just the same as the first book but instead of it being Justin’s point of view it's I think if my classmates were to read this book before the first book they would enjoy the excitement and twists. If my classmates were to read Black Top Justin first they would get bored with this book because it's basically reading the book parshley over again. This book shows how hard work pays off and if you and your team work together enough you can make it. I would recommend this book to my friends that are athletic because if you don't know much about the sport basketball[ then you won't fully know what they're talking about. If you've enjoyed the experience of basketball in the past then this is the book for you.
Jane's point of view. [book:Janae|31147626]

message 17: by Isaiah (new)

Isaiah Price | 4 comments The story “The view from Saturday “by E.L. KONIGSBURG . It took place in Epiphany, New York. There are four souls that is part of this Academic group. Their names are Noah, Nadia, Ethan, and Julian. Noah is the one of the kids that knows what going on and is telling the story. Nadia is a girl she has a smart dog that is talented, she also has grandparents that rescue turtles an also watch them grow and set them free.
There is Ethan who is related to Nadia by grandparents but is a shy kid but also smart. Then there Julian who is new to the town of Epiphany but has a father who was a chef that bought the Sillington house everyone knew. His father made it into the B&B Inn and the team has been there for tea. They have a teacher that is handicapped but is there coach.
Her name is Mrs.Olinski she returning back to teaching . She helps her students with stuff they need to know for each event. Young teens should be interested in a story about kids who are in an Academic tournament. I would recommend this book to people outside because it has so many interesting things. It’s a good book also has things u can relate to in the story
The View from Saturday

message 18: by Josue (new)

Josue | 4 comments The book I am reading is called Hatchet and was written by Gary Paulsen. In this novel, a thirteen year old boy named Brian is flying on a plane when the pilot suddenly has a heart attack and dies. Brian manages to keep the plane afloat for a while until it runs out of fuel and crashes into a lake.
Brian survives the crash, but that is just the beginning. Brian has find a way to survive the wilds of the Canadian forest if he ever hopes to be rescued. He survives by learning how to make fire, hunting for food, and making a shelter. Eventually, he remembers that there is a survival pack in the plane that is in the lake and works towards getting the survival pack in hope of getting more food.
After he retrieves this survival pack, he gets more than he had expected, and one of those things was a device to get into contact with a plane. He didn't know this though, but turned it on anyways and thought it didn't work. A plane then comes unexpectedly to rescue him and take him to his parents. The theme of this book is man versus nature, as Brian has to live along with nature and survive the dangers of the wilderness.
I think the author was trying to convey was to not ever give up hope even in the direst of circumstances. What's common to all people is that everyone hopes for something. I would recommend this book to people who would like a quick read, from 9th to 12 graders. A kind of reader that would enjoy this book are fans of Gary Paulsen or people that like survival genre type of books.
Hatchet

message 19: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 3 comments This books called “letting ana go”, by Anonymous is a fiction story. The book mostly takes place at school and home, usually when she has school it takes place somewhere else. The three characters are ana her friends and her parents. Ana is the one girl who is trying to lose weight writes it on a diary about everything she eats and her weight and the calorie of the food. Her friends just like to have fun with her they follow ana on the losing weight but not that serious, and her parent had lately been having problems and they separated she had been down and her mom felt pain also.
The main idea of the book is ana she would start eating less but she got out of control that she felt great not eating but that wasn’t right. This book lot of teen would enjoy this book because it talks about how a young girl that doesn’t want to gain weight and lots of teen this year want to also lose weight by not eating and is not ok for girls to do that. I really enjoyed this book because like i said it talks about how she wants to lose weight and she doesn’t notice that she’s harming herself and i use to have that mindset to lose weight and stop eating but i saw that, that’s wrong.
I think my classmate would enjoy this book because it tells you that it doesn’t matter if you get a little bit of

message 20: by Payton (new)

Payton Hille (Kingpayt_5) | 4 comments Payton Hille
Mrs. Mirabal
Per.3
1/25/17
Fast Break

In the book “Fast Break” by Mike Lupica, basketball star Jayson Barnes is tired of scrounging for food and wearing too-small sneakers. He grew up in public housing and playing ball at the Jefferson Houses, or the Jeff, where he’s known as Snap on the court because he’s there, and then, he’s gone. Jayson lived with his mom, who was sick, and her boyfriend, one of many who had left them through the years after his father first did. When Jason's mom died, her boyfriend skipped their small North Carolina town, leaving the 12-year-old to fend for himself and try to avoid the foster care system. He lived a hard life for someone who is so young.

He doesn’t tell anyone, not even his teammates, that he was on his own. But the gives is up once Jason is caught trying to steal a new pair of sneakers to replace his old ones. Child Protective Services steps in, and he is assigned a social worker named Ms. Moretti. He is forced to leave his school, his friends, his team, and his basketball court and move across town to a foster home with the Lawtons. The Lawtons will be better for Jayson because they are far more wealthy than he has been before he went into the system but he still misses his home.

His new basketball team, Belmont Country Day, don’t know very well they didn’t grow up playing ball with him at the Jeff, and he doesn’t want them to know that stealing is the reason he wound up there. When his new basketball team, plays his old basketball team, Moreland East Middle, he has to put his feelings aside so he can help get his new team to victory. Because at the end of the season, the best teams get to go to Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke University to play in the state championship. And that’s all Jayson wants.

Over time Jayson starts to get along with the guys at Belmont and his new coach. And he meets a girl named Zoe Montgomery who plays a mean game of soccer. But he still worries they will find out he tried to shoplift those sneakers. Also his relationship with the Lawtons is getting easier. And he gets comfortable with the people around him and he ends up winning that state championship at Duke University. I was surprised but the family new what Jayson came there for but they didn’t care.

This story is a story that makes you feel good and know that everyone deserves a second chance and people really are forgiving. And that life is important on and off the court. This book is good for people who like basketball and people who don’t because the Jayson has an interesting back story. I would recommend this book to all readers who like a story about a person's life.

message 21: by Mireya (new)

Mireya | 4 comments The book, “ Drums Girls Dangerous Pie”, by Jordan Sonnenblick. The author want to tell the reader about Stephen's life. Steven was 13 years old who played the drums. Steven and Jeffrey the little brother would go to the hospital a lot. The writer wrote the book to tell the reader his life was, that nobody's life is perfect. Everyone's life is not perfect. The book was written for teenagers. Steven want tell the readers how his life was in school and out of school. The writer wrote it for teens because he was one of them. The author wanted to talk about no one is perfect, everyone has problems in their life. The message of the book would be that every person have problems in their life. You just have to find help from teachers or your parents, or even doctors. Someone that would like to help. Even if it something really bad, you just have to tell someone and let out the anger you have or sadness you have. I recommend this book to people that like to hear about people life, or problems, i really think readers would love this book just like i did. Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie

message 22: by Sara (last edited Jan 27, 2017 12:48PM) (new)

Sara (sarapastrana) | 4 comments “Fat Angie” by E.E Charlton-Trujillo

In this novel the freshman girl, fat Angie is going through a rough time referring to her body physically and mentally. Angie’s parents are divorced so she doesn't have her mother's attention. Fat Angie has to support her classmate Stacy Ann Sloan that bullies her because she's fat. After all that she still have to go home and hear his stupid brother tell her more stuff about how he felt about his fat sister.

Angie feels she the only one in her family, matter of fact she feels that she’s the only one in the world. Fat Angie once tried to kill herself in her school gym in front of her classmates because she received the news of her sister being captured in war. So in order to keep her alive she believes that her sister is alive, even though everybody know she’s dead.

Fat Angie is starting high school and Stacy Ann is given her hard time at school. Meanwhile she’s has to go to therapy every day that her not be bothered mother pays. Fat Angie doesn't get well with her mother because the only thing she cares is how other people sees her family. Fat Angie can't support more her family.

One day when she was in a fight with Stacy Ann, Kc the new girl, defended her. From that day and on she became the first friend of Angie. They became great friends and they lean on each other on everything. Fat Angie wanted to join the varsity basketball team. Evan though that Stacy Ann gave her hard time in the tryouts, with kc’s help she made into the team.

Weeks went past and by the time Kc and fat Angie started having feeling for each other. When Kc and fat Angie gave her first kiss, fat Angie’s not to be bothered mother saw and obviously didn’t let them have their relationship. From that the girls broke up and because Kc’s dad found out to and disapproved it.

When fat Angie won her first basketball game, going back home, she found out of a terrible news. When she got home she saw her mother outside the house and his brother crying by the window. Her mom told her they called saying they found her sister’s body. And she drop into tears. The next day she quit the basketball team and became to run the whole block every morning. Until one day the whole the whole basketball team join her, and she felt very good. Later on at that they Kc went to apologize and decided to restart their relationship. And from that moment fat Angie became Angie.

I really like this book because it shows how a bullied girl recovers her auto esteem. This book showed me a lot of how to recover my own auto esteem or how to help my friends. I recommend this book mostly to teenager that are to rough time in school, it may show you some advice of what you can do.
Fat Angie

message 23: by ismael (new)

ismael Raya | 2 comments The​ ​book​ ​I’m​ ​reading​ ​is​ ​called​ ​Monster​ ​by​ ​walter​ ​dean​ ​myers​ ​and​ ​its​ ​is​ ​about​ ​a​ ​jury​ ​trial​ ​about​ ​a
murder​ ​of​ ​a​ ​fellow​ ​old​ ​man​ ​named​ ​Mr.​ ​Nebbit​ ​and​ ​he​ ​was​ ​murderd​ ​by​ ​4​ ​men​ ​who​ ​where
accused​ ​in​ ​the​ ​trial​ ​though​ ​the​ ​men​ ​are​ ​in​ ​court​ ​they​ ​blamed​ ​a​ ​fellow​ ​young​ ​man​ ​who​ ​had
nothing​ ​to​ ​do​ ​with​ ​the​ ​murder​ ​of​ ​Mr.nebbit.​ ​In​ ​the​ ​court​ ​there​ ​is​ ​alot​ ​of​ ​agreeing​ ​and​ ​disagreeing
but​ ​the​ ​jury​ ​is​ ​not​ ​sure​ ​who​ ​is​ ​telling​ ​the​ ​truth.​ ​In​ ​the​ ​court​ ​the​ ​men​ ​are​ ​making​ ​a​ ​gang​ ​member
the​ ​freedom​ ​and​ ​giving​ ​the​ ​poor​ ​young​ ​man​ ​the​ ​way​ ​to​ ​jail.
In​ ​Jail​ ​the​ ​young​ ​man​ ​is​ ​visited​ ​by​ ​him​ ​father​ ​and​ ​has​ ​his​ ​mother​ ​torn​ ​inside​ ​but​ ​she​ ​knows​ ​that​ ​it
wasnt​ ​him​ ​who​ ​did​ ​it​ ​it​ ​was​ ​someone​ ​else​ ​who​ ​did​ ​it.​ ​In​ ​the​ ​eyes​ ​of​ ​the​ ​law​ ​that​ ​young​ ​man​ ​is
sure​ ​to​ ​accuse​ ​a​ ​oung​ ​innocent​ ​man​ ​rather​ ​than​ ​a​ ​dumb​ ​gang​ ​memeber​ ​who​ ​in​ ​the​ ​book​ ​was
the​ ​cause​ ​of​ ​mr.nebbits​ ​death.In​ ​this​ ​cause​ ​people​ ​think​ ​it​ ​is​ ​not​ ​fair.
In​ ​the​ ​end,​ ​the​ ​gang​ ​memeber​ ​dies​ ​and​ ​the​ ​young​ ​man​ ​gets​ ​free.

message 24: by Jazmin (new)

Jazmin | 5 comments The book that i chose to do a book report on is called “ Saint Iggy” by K.L. Going. This book is mainly for young adults. The settings in this book takes place in housing projects, Mo’s apartment and Mo’s mother’s apartment. The main characters of this book are Iggy Corso who is the protagonist of this book who starts off as a kid who doesn’t care about school and neither does his drug addicted parents. Another character is Mo, Iggy’s older best and only friend who got kicked out of law school because of drugs. Lastly Mo’s mother. Mo’s mother is a rich woman who takes in Iggy and Mo for the holidays and try to show affection to Mo but Mo refuses her love and she loves Iggy and treats him like the son she always wanted Mo to be. The Main conflicts of the story is that Iggy has been suspended from school and needs to go to a hearing to see if he is or is not going to be kicked out of school. Iggy’s father doesn’t care because he’s always either high or drunk. Iggy’s mother who is also addicted to drugs takes “ vacations” where she disappears for weeks to go do drugs. Iggy goes to the person he can talk to and trust, he goes to his friend’s Mo’s house. Mo ( short for Montell) is a Iggy’s best friend who occasionally takes drugs too but only to “ expand his mind “. Mo wants to be spiritual and wants to join the Krishnas. Mo and Iggy go to a party to get drugs but Iggy thinks he did a huge mistake buying from Freddie, Freddie is Iggy’s mother and father’s drug dealer who knows that Iggy hates him and he hates Iggy. After Mo scores from Freddie, he said he can pay him on Christmas eve but it’s going to be a couple grand that they don’t have. Mo tells Iggy they can ask Mo’s mother for money since she is wealthy. Mo suggests that they stay for a couple of days then ask for the money and leave. They arrive at Mo’s mother’s house which amazes Iggy because it’s so shiny and everything looks expensive than his apartment in the projects. Mo’s mother informs Mo that his father is coming for the holidays and Mo doesn’t have such a good relationship with his father because he has another family in California. Mo’s mother takes interest in Iggy and he tells her about what had happened and she wants to help him in whatever way she can. She decides to spend time with iggy because Mom doesn’t want to. She takes Iggy to get his haircut and on the way they go to iggy’s apartment to get the letter to see when is the court date but Iggy is nervous because he doesn’t want her to see where and how she lives but she is calm and doesn’t mind the projects. They enter the projects, Mo’s mother is eagerly looking around the projects while Iggy is in a hurry to get the letter and get out. Iggy goes to the hearing, the court says he can not go back to the school anymore. Mo tells Iggy to tell Mo’s mom that if she can give Iggy money to go to a private school that will make him take his education seriously. But Mom says that he will take the money his mother gave Iggy and pay off freddie, then pay the money back to Iggy. Mo’s mother agrees to give the money to iggy. They meet up Freddie in a alley by the church on christmas eve. Mo goes into the alley first. Iggy sees a cop who is nearby and tries to signal him to go inside the alley, But Iggy notice that Freddie has a gun and runs towards him. Freddie drops the gun, and Iggy grabs it and fires a shot. The cop comes and shoots Iggy. It takes Iggy a while to notice that he has been shot. The meaning behind the story is to not get involved with the wrong people. I would recommend this book to people who like suspenseful books.

message 25: by MJ (new)

MJ ; | 7 comments The title of the book is the Diary of a wimpy kid and the author is Jeff kinney. This book mainly takes place in the main character’s house and around school. The main characters are Gregory Heffley, Rowley Jefferson, and Rodrick Heffley. Grey is the main character in the diary of the wimpy kid. Rowley is Greg's best friend. Rodrick is Greg’s older brother that picks on him all the time. The main idea is it’s a new school year, and Gregory finds himself going into middle school, where undersized kid. The type of person that might enjoy this is people that like adventure books and comedy books. I enjoyed the aspects because the book has good parts in the book. I think that my classmates would enjoy this book because it is a funny book. I would recommend this book because it is easy to read and it's about summer and school.

message 26: by Jenaviortiz (new)

Jenaviortiz | 2 comments Between Shades of Grey, by Ruta Sepetys, is a historical fiction. The book takes place 1941 during World War 2 in Lithuania. Lina Vilkas is impulsive but learns to control; confident in her artistic abilities, outspoken quick to display anger, gifted artist close with father and believes her art can save family.Lina’s mother is the ultimate caretaker she shares rations, puts others first, self-sacrificing (her ultimate fate), physically comforts children she is quick to diffuse conflicts among prisoners, rarely sarcastic or offensive advice-giver and dislikes confrontation within group. Andrus is Confident in discourse with Lina he advises her early on, throws subtle smiles and winks at Lina, foreshadowing later romantic relationship, the image of him smoking repeats - a way of coping with situation, dislike how Lina puts herself in danger, physically adept and clever in maneuvering between train cars, basic Traits and Information.
The theme of this story is no matter the age or size you can always have courage. People who enjoy books that are realistic fiction or historical fiction or if they like a book with a girl as a lead role. I enjoyed the aspects of because it is about the holocaust and it reminds me of The boy in The Striped Pajamas. I think classmates would enjoy the book if the enjoy stories about world war 2 it has danger and it's not a guy doing dangerous things it's a girl. I would recommend this book to my mom because she likes books that have girl lead roles and she enjoyed The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

message 27: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo Anaya | 3 comments Search for safety essay Ricardo Anaya period 4

There is no escape for Ben McKee. For weeks, he’s covered the bruises on his body. He’s even
Lied to his teachers and new friends at Bluford high school. But the trouble in Ben’s house isn’t going away. And if he doesn’t act soon, it could swallow him and his mother forever.
Ben and his mother Geneva was staying with Ben’ s grandma in Ben liked staying there then one day Geneva came in the house in said that she was getting married in they are moving out in the grandma didn’t like it because she already had knew that Larry was a bad, Larry is the person she’s marring. When they had moved in to they new apartment Ben and Larry was their unpacking things Geneva was at work so Larry told Ben to never come down stair why he in the living room in one day been came down stairs in Larry started beating on him in and different nights he beat on Geneva because she won’t give him money.
The first thing I liked about this is that Ben took up for himself and tried to take up for his mom. In when Larry was beating on Geneva, Ben tried to help his mom. Abuse is what happens in this book. Ben also went threw things when he was at school people use to pick on him and make fun of him because how he dressed and how he looked with those busies on his face. Another one is when Aunt Fay was helping Ben with school.
The second thing I liked about this book is when Mr. Graham paused and stared at Ben in his eyes for several seconds. And told Ben he remind him of himself when he was a little boy. Another example is when Ben had asked Mr. Graham can he work with him in Mr. Graham say yes. I really liked that Mr. Graham had helped Ben out on things by given him a job and letting him eat dinner at his house.
Fourth thing is that its something that really made me enjoy this book because I love reading things about abuse that’s something am very interesting in when Ben got up them stairs Larry kicked him in the back and slammed him against the wall.
The critic of this book “Search for safety” I have agree that this book is really good and very interesting if you read this book you wouldn’t won’t to put the book down I recommend that people should read the book Search for Safety.

message 28: by Jair (new)

Jair Chavez | 4 comments In the novel, “The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas” by John Boyne the main characters are Bruno, Shmuel, and Lieutenant Kotler. Bruno is a honest kid that tries to be honest to himself as much as possible throughout the story. Shmuel is a grateful kid because he is blessed to have a friend care so much about him. Lieutenant Kotler is abusive and charming in the story.

The different events that take place in the story are Auschwitz, his backyard, and Concentration camps

The conflict of Bruno is that he experiences inner and external conflicts because he struggles to accept his father's decisions about the jewish people. Another conflict he had is when he denies Shmuel after Kotler catches Shmuel eating the cake Bruno gave him.

The conflict is resolved at the end of the book as Bruno and Shmuel enter the gas chamber with Bruno’s innocence in tact.

The message the author wanted to give us is that regardless of color, gender, or our sexual preference, we are all the same and we all should be judged the same. The author makes the reader aware of fences by telling us the of Auschwitz and how Jews are treated. The “fences” contributed to hatred. By telling the story of Bruno's and Shmuel’s friendship, the author encourages to see others through the eyes of a child because children are innocent and unaware of racism.

I would recommend this book overall because some people can gain something out of it. A reader that might enjoy this book is someone is going through some type of friendship problem.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

message 29: by Xochil (new)

Xochil | 3 comments 70 authors tell thier stories

I got into this book Called 70 authors tell their stories because they

Bullied alot of kids in school and the teachers and principals could’t do

Nothing to those kids that get bullied. It reminds me abuat the i got bullied

In elementry school. I dont really know but yes to the people that get

bullied. Like enne and frank had been infinitely unbelievably worse that

her friends. Matt didnt stop teasting his friends from school he liked

Playing with them and at the sme time make laft of him and bullied him at

the same time. Maria was bullied and specially of her clothes. That they

bullied students alot of their clothes and alot of different things to specially

Saria was bullied and made laft of matt becuase he didnt knew how to

Dress up specially went he goes to school he didnt like taking shower and

Clean his self. I think people that like to read and people thta like to read

Will like to read it . And they will really love this book
Dear Bully: Seventy Authors Tell Their Stories

message 30: by Emilio (new)

Emilio Cisnes | 4 comments K.l. Going’s latest novel,” Liberation of Gabriel King” the author writes about a boy and his best friend in the 70’s. It describes Gabriel King’s fear of everything there is scary from loose cows to the fifth grade, alongside with his best friend Frita Wilson. The duo create a list of fears to overcome before the fifth grade arrives. Although the book delves in the concept of fears, it also touches on the concept of racism and its effect during the second wave of feminism in the 70’s. This novel also explains Jimmy Carter’s presidential campaign to a degree, but doesn’t affect the story much.
The book begins with Gabe and Frita celebrating the end of fourth grade with a party at the cafeteria. Suddenly before they can leave, Duke Evans and Frankie Carmen arrive and bully them to the ground. This scuffle would end with Duke’s father arriving and calling Frita a nigger, since she’s black. Eventually throughout the book, both friends struggle with the idea that the Evans and the Carmens might be part be part of the KKK due to speculation. This theory would later be proven when Frita speaks to mr. Evans and tells her to watch out for the KKK, which results in the families of Frita and Gabe to make a rally at the school against racism. Ending with the kids realizing the true horrors of the south and the stance in which people were taking place at the time.
The novel attempts to create an atmosphere where fear is more than something like spiders and dead people. It does succeed in separating fear from politics, as it did emphasize the importance of Carter’s presidency at the time and how black people were affected by it. Many aspects of the book such as narrative were deeply affected by the setting, which I personally felt good about since most other books focus on characters to create a narrative rather than setting. Deeply focusing politics and the 70’s rather than how Gabe grew up to be a wuss or the Evan’s affiliation to the KKK. I personally found this more interesting and immersive just due to the amount of background information like about the woman’s rights rally,
Obviously black people and insiders like me will want this book. Because more and more people are more open to change, I feel people into politics will like this very due to political influence in the book. So to any who wish on making a report on either racism or the changing climate on political influence of the left and right. Other than that, if you want to have a good history insider, it’s the book for you.

message 31: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 4 comments Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children is a fictional fantasy book that was written by Ransom Riggs. It is the first book out of a 3 book series so far. The main characters of the story are Jacob Portman, Emma Bloom, and Alma Peregrine. Jacob is a brave determined teenage boy who learns a lot about himself and what he is capable of doing after finding out he is peculiar. Emma is a strong independent girl that is able to make and control fire as her peculiarity. She is also very fond of Jacob Portman. Finally Miss Peregrine is a Ymbryne, a peculiar who can turn into a bird and save time. She is the one in charge of all the other peculiar characters in the books.

The story takes place in Wales in Jacob’s present year and on September 3, 1940. Some major events that happen in the story is when Jacob travels all the way from America to an Island called Cairnholm in Wales. He goes there in search for Miss Peregrine because he wants and needs answers as to what his grandfather’s last words before dying meant and the only person who can answer those questions are her. An important event that happened in Wales was Jacob finding out that everyone who could give him answers about his grandfather were dead, but later he figures out that nobody really died; they were all just preserved in a time loop that saves the last 24 hours of whatever day chosen which was September 3, 1940, preventing anyone from really dying. Other events include Jacob finding out about the peculiar species of the human race that have certain abilities or peculiarities that other people in the world don’t have and that he himself is peculiar because he has the ability to see the monsters that hunt their species that are called hollows. All these events lead to Jacob realizing and telling Miss Peregrine that there is in fact signs of a hollow or wight, an evolved hollow, there in Wales. This leads to her trying to save, protect, and hide her wards, but what ends up happening is Miss Peregrine getting herself captured by the wight while in her bird form to save everyone else.

Conflict that takes place in the story is how Emma gets really close to Jacob, just like she did to his grandfather which later Jacob realizes is very confusing. There was also conflict when everyone there in the loop at the time hd to keep it a secret from Jacob was peculiar or else he wouldn’t have even been able to enter Miss Peregrine’s loop. Also there was conflict when Jacob came to warn Miss Peregrine that there was a wight on the Island that had probably followed him there. But instead of him warning her he ended up leading the wight right up to her doorstep. And because of this another problem happened which was Miss Peregrine’s loop stopping because she wasn’t there to restart it since she was captured by the wight lead to the loop by Jacob.

The situation between Jacob and Emma was resolved when Jacob realized he actually did have feelings for her and moved pass the fact that her and his grandfather hd a thing in the past. And for what happened when everyone had to keep it from Jacob that he was peculiar, he eventually figured out that he was peculiar later on from Emma just in time to help out before the monsters in the story came for them in the loop. As for the monsters following Jacob and taking Miss Peregrine the kids end up all grouping together to try and save her no matter what they have to do. And for the loop being no more due to Miss Peregrine not being able to reset the time the loop continued on and went on as any other day.

A possible theme or lesson of this book is about finding yourself and becoming who you were always meant to be. This is a possible theme because that’s what Jacob does throughout the story. He continuously keeps learning things about himself that make him understand why he has always felt like he never fit in anywhere. Another possible theme is probably to not judge a book by its cover or things aren’t always as they seem because those kids look normal but in reality they have abilities of their own that other people in the world, ordinary people, don’t have and they can do extraordinary things.

I would definitely recommend others to read this book along with the other books in the series. It is a very good and entertaining book that lots of people would enjoy. Readers who like to read fantasy fiction would surely like this book. Especially because it has you guessing and being surprised with its own twists and turns in the book. I would definitely rate this book a 5/5 because it is a very interesting and entertaining book to read that you could just lose yourself and lose time while reading it.Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

message 32: by Aldo (last edited Jan 27, 2017 01:26PM) (new)

Aldo Guzman loera | 2 comments Code OrangeMitty is a loving, caring boy He is also very lazy and very good at procrastinating.Olivia is the sweet girl in Mitty’s advanced biology. The reason he stays there is because of Olivia. Olivia plays a big part in Mitty’s life because she is his girlfriend.Mitty’s parents role in code orange is loving, but a little clueless, in their eyes, Mitty can do no wrong. Lynch-Mr. Lynch is Mitty’s advanced biology teacher at St. Raphael’s school in New York city. He assigned Mitty a term paper on an infectious disease. McKay these FBI agents don’t play a big part in mitty’s life, but they do in his rescue from terrorists who think he has smallpox.Mrs. Abrams is Mitty’s English teacher and she assigns Mitty another paper, but it is on comparing Beowulf monsters to monsters of infectious disease.

This book takes place in mainly New York. It also takes place in Connecticut at Mitty’s weekend house. The main conflict of Code Orange is that Mitchell has found an envelope of scabs from a disease called Variola Major, better known as smallpox. He has to find if they are contagious or not. Variola Major Plot Mitty Blake would rather listen to his iPod then do homework.Mr. & Mrs. Blake Mitty's parents are extremely supportive of their son and his education. Mitty is the Blake's only child and they are a very close-knit family of three. Olivia is Mitty's girlfriend who tries to help him boost his grades so that they can stay in the same advanced biology class together. She's extremely hard on Mitty because she herself is a straight-A student. Characters Cont. Derek Skorvanek: Derek is Mitty's best friend and comrade who also skips classes, glances through literature books, and ignores essays. 16 year old Mitty Blake is one of those high school kids who loves to procrastinate with everything. He really doesn't care about grades. The only reason he goes to school is to see Olivia in advanced biology. Mitty has a huge biology report due on infectious diseases, and when he finds something resembling scabs he chooses his project disease, Small Pox He has no idea that Small Pox destroyed the lives of many people throughout the entire world. In fact, what he didn't know was the scabs could have been deadly. I would recommend this book to people who are really instrested in books like Code orange

message 33: by Denise (new)

Denise Banuelos | 2 comments The title of the book i am reading is called Annie’s Baby and some of the main characters are Annie, Daniel, Annie’s Mom, Mary Ann (Annie’s Baby), Diary Daisy.

The plot in this story is a young 14 year old girl named Annie she is going to school and has her life really perfect no problems, and a 16 year old boy named Daniel it takes place at school that’s how they met, at first when she saw him she thought he was really cute and she meet him at the football field well actually he is in a football team.She was standing there and he just passed by and said hi to her she got really nervous.They would talk more in school days passed and they both liked each other.

The conflict for this story is how Daniel and Annie both meet each other and started having a thing at first for her he was the a wonderful boyfriend but he started changing more and more with her making her do things she didn’t want to she was only 14 and needs to experience things and he was only showing her bad things because he was 16 it scared her but she loved him so she just would leave it like that and decide to stick with him even dought he treated her bad, he would make her drink at parties and smoke and get drunk and by that way he had the opportunity to like have sex with her which one day he did he rapped her didn’t even treat her with love. It ended up being that after all the time she decided to finally have sex with him but she wasn’t taking care of herself will only one of her friends gave her some pills to take for every time she would have sex with him but she would always forget to take them.She ended up getting pregnant of Daniel when it was the time for her to tell him he denied every thing and said it wasn’t his baby and he wouldn’t take care of it to abort the baby but she didn’t want to she was scared but all she had to do was move on by herself at a very young age.

The resolution for this story is that Annie then finally decides to let her mom know she was pregnant but after she told her mom she has a diary that she hides how she didn’t have no one to talk to she will take all her emotions in the diary. Her mom gave her the hand and told her she would be there for her so she dropped out of school and then went to a new school where pregnant ones go and they help you once your baby is born they even take care of them there why your in class.Days passed and the baby was finally there with her she fell in love with the baby but it was just a struggle for her it was too much of course because she was only 14 her mom would go to work and leave her there home with the baby at the end she took a decision maybe for her it was the best but she gave the baby in adoption thinking that the baby should have a better life where they would give her love and have all the attention.

The theme of this story is the message the author wanted us as the readers to get is that knowing and seeing how hard it is to be a mother at a young age knowing you could not work to spoil your baby and end up staying alone and the father not wanting to help it has happened in many cases. For you to be more smart and about things and think twice.

Of course i would recommend this book so teenagers could know how and understand how it is to have a life like that so they won’t go through those steps and end up like that because once having a child you don’t have the opportunities you had being only you.The readers who will enjoy this book are teenagers and maybe adults but mostly women’s cause they would understand more.

Annie's Baby: The Diary of Anonymous, A Pregnant Teenager

message 34: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Hernandez | 5 comments In the book tears of a tiger by sharon draper, its a bout a story of a teenager named andy who is unable to forgive himself after drinking and driving because he accidently kills his freind rob. The novel begins with a brief newspaper article about a fiery automobile accident in which one Hazelwood High student, Robert Washington, was killed. The article also notes that Andrew (Andy) Jackson was injured in the wreck and that he had been drinking and driving. The next chapter consists of a flashback locker-room conversation between Andy Jackson and Robbie Washington from the night of the accident. The boys are excited about the basketball game that they just completed and discuss their plans for after the game. Andy mentions his girlfriend Keisha to Robbie and Gerald, another Hazelwood High student, and then the boys talk about the beer that they have chilling in Andy's trunk. Gerald declines to go with the boys, citing his abusive stepfather's strict rules.
After the crash, the Hazelwood High community struggles to cope with Robbie's seemingly senseless death. Keisha, Andy's girlfriend, calls her friend Rhonda to let her know that Robbie died in the crash. Andy struggles through his statement to police and explains that he and the other boys had been drinking, causing Andy to lose control of his car and crash it. Andy, B.J., and Tyrone were able to get out of the car, but Robbie, who was riding in the front passenger seat, was trapped inside and burned to death. Andy cannot get the image of his dying friend out of his head.
When Andy returns to school, he talks to his basketball coach and expresses that he is having an extremely difficult time getting past the accident. He feels gnawing guilt over Robbie's death and cannot understand why his sentence was so light. Coach Ripley tries to encourage Andy by telling him that he, the police, and the judge believe that Andy will correct his behavior and that he had already paid the consequences for his actions. Andy tries to accept that, but the only part of his life that seems to go well during this time is basketball.

About a month after the accident, Andy begins seeing a psychologist named Dr. Carrothers. At first, Andy is reluctant to talk openly with Dr. Carrothers, but his curiosity in meeting an African-American psychologist motivates him to ask questions and to form a tentative bond with the counselor. During his first session, Andy tells Dr. Carrothers that he cannot forgive himself for Robbie's death and that he has no connection...he commits scuicide.
Honestly i really enjoyed this book, it was emotional and had so much emotional moments. It gets u kind of compeling to turn the pages and read the next chapter or page. I really recomend for my classmates to read this book? Its a very good book.

message 35: by Angelica (new)

Angelica | 3 comments The book that I read was called Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech the main characters are Phoebe Winter Botton ,Sal’s mother and father,Gram,Gramps.They are all helping sal with the search of her mother.

The novel is narrated by a 13-year-old girl named Salamanca(Sal). Sal's mother has recently left Sal's father, and Sal's grandparents are taking her on a cross-country car trip to idaho to see her mother. Sal loves nature and was very close to her mother before she left. On the trip, Sal entertains her grandparents by telling a story about her friend in Ohio Phoebe Winterbottom, whose mother suddenly disappeared and left their family too, and about Ben Finney with whom Sal begins a tight relationship.

Over the course of the book, as Sal's story unfolds and their car travels west, she reveals more details about Phoebe, and why her story reminds Salamanca of her own. The more she tells her grandparents of Phoebe's story, the more she feels like her story is connected to Phoebe's story.

The Main conflict Is that the thirteen year old Salamanca mother leaves without explanation and dies in a tragic bus crash. Sal is unable to accept that her mother has died and is not coming home.It really sucks for Sal to know that her mother died.It must be hard.lossing someone from your family must suck.

The themes include the feelings of grief as a response to death and loss, the discovery of self-identity, and hope. Creech uses Sal's physical journey to Idaho with her grandparents and the story she tells about Phoebe Winterbottom to portray her thematic messages.

I would recommend this book to anybody it’s a sad ending but a really interesting story of this girl and her mother that left her father.

Walk Two Moons

message 36: by Aixia (new)

Aixia | 4 comments The Voice on the Radio

The characters of the story are Janie Johnson and Reeve Shields. Janie Johnson/Jennie Spring (same person) is the main fictional character in The Voice on the Radio written by Caroline B. Cooney, the third book of Janie Johnson series. Janie is on her junior year and want to skip high school,because high school without Reeve is boring. Reeve is on his first year in college and he’s Janie’s friend.

This book is sequel to Whatever happened to Janie. It all begins with emails that Janie and Reeve send to each other. Janie misses him Reeve misses her too but is somewhat more practical. Reeve found his position at a radio since he loves being popular, he think is a pathway to popular and famous, but he found out he has nothing to say. He start to tells about Janie’s kidnapping, her private life and struggles every night. He known Janie is a private person and doesn’t want to talk about her past. However, Reeve never dreams that he will get caught he feels bad about it and even trying to stop but the idea of fame became stronger as time get on.In the end,Reeve does get caught because Janie had drive to Boston University, wanting to give him a surpise, ending up hearing Reeve talks about her kidnapped in the radio. Janie did forgive Reeve, but she will never give Reeve her trust and her real smiles.

The central conflict of this novel is Reeve take advantage of Janie’s trust to achieve his idea of being famous and popular. Janie only trust Reeve because in the past,she had found out she was being kidnapped from her adoptive family, she’s no longer trusting anyone except Reeve, who had been to all of her struggles with her. However, due to Reeve, his relationship could help him with the idea of fame.

The theme of the story is “everything you do in life, the choice you make, has an consequence.” Reece has chosen to take advantage from Janie, he thought he’ll never get caught. The consequences is he did get caught and nearly lost his relationship with Janie.

I don't recommend this book because it’s the third book of Janie Johnson series, if you haven't read the first and second book, you are more likely to being lost while you’re reading. Also, the climax of this story comes a bit early, therefore after the climax, half of the story is falling action.The Voice on the RadioCaroline B. Cooney

message 37: by Felicita (new)

Felicita | 3 comments In the book “Romiette and Julio” a fictional story ,Romiette, an African american girl is a good, respectful, and smart young lady, she falls for Julio a Hispanic, smart and caring young man. They meet online, but what they don't know is they both attend Cincinnati high school, after talking they find out they both go to the same school, they decide to meet up at lunch. After meeting in person they feel they have known each other for ever. A local gang “The Devildogs” interfere with their relationship and threaten them. “The Devildogs” end up kidnapping them. There best friends Ben and Destiny, there parents, and the police go on a hunt and hope to find them alive.
Romiette and Julio

message 38: by Ben (new)

Ben Nguyen | 4 comments In the novel, "Paper Towns" by John green, it reveals that people can change over time. The story take place in Orlando Florida and mainly Jefferson park. The main character is name Quentin but his friends call him Q for short. Quentin is a determination person because he spend days after days trying to find out clues where Margo is and he successfully find her at the end. He was also very heroic because he skip his graduation day to go from Orlando to New York City to try to save his friend Margo. Lastly he was very intelligent because even A detective couldn't find out the clue to find Margo but Q was able to throughout the story. I think pretty much anyone can enjoy this book because it talks about mystery and many people are into mysteries. I recommend this book to everyone in my class because this is by far the book I ever read. I would rate this novel a 5/5

message 39: by Angel (new)

Angel Ayala | 2 comments Angel Ayala
Mirabal
per.4
1-27-17
QB1 In the book, QB1 By Mike Lupica, which takes place in a small town, Granger Texas. The book mainly focuses on a teenage kid named Jake Cullen who is a freshman in highschool on the varsity football team. Throughout the book Jake faces many hardships of different varieties. For example escaping being his older brothers shadow, who now plays college football for the Texas Longhorns. Jake ends up having to compete for his spot against a kid names Casey Lindell, who is a sophmore. They both end up having many run-ins throughout the book and have problems. In the end there is a giant plot twist you wouldnt expect. I like the aspects of this book because I can really connect with what happends in the book. I really enjoyed this book because I was able to really connect and feel what the main character was going through. I feel like a couple of my classmates would also connect with the book if they play sports. I would recommend this book to anybody who has a love for football and likes to read books. I rate this book 5 stars.

message 40: by Diana (new)

Diana Bermejo-Lazo | 4 comments Simon Snow, a wizard, is the protagonist in the book, “Carry On”. He’s dangerous, brave, strong, oblivious, unpredictable, clumsy, and although he has great power, he has a lot to learn. Simon Snow is the chosen one of the World of Mages; however, according to his roommate, Baz, he is, “the worst chosen one who’s ever been chosen.” Penelope “Penny” Bunce, who’s also a wizard, is a main character in “Carry On.” She is smart, confident, stupidly brave, curious, a strategy thinker, and a powerful wizard. Basilton “Baz” Grimm Pitch, a wizard, is the final main character. He is annoying, strong, intelligent, brave, selfish, and serious.
“Carry On” has it’s minor characters as well, such as The Humdrum, Davy (The Mage), Lucy, Agatha Wellbelove, and Ebb. The Humdrum is dangerous because he looks like the younger version of Simon Snow and can randomly appear out of nowhere. Davy (The Mage) is the Headmaster of Watford and Simon’s mentor, he is also smart, curious, and wants everything his way. Lucy was a student at Watford. She is smart, beautiful, and struggled to separate herself from Davy. Agatha Wellbelove, a wizard, is beautiful, smart, annoying, cautious, and Simon’s ex-girlfriend. Lastly, Ebb, a wizard and goat herd at Watford, is nice, powerful, and a caring person.
The main plot of the book is to find a solution to destroy The Humdrum. It started in August 2008 when random holes came out of nowhere. Though people think The Humdrum and the mysterious holes are connected they cannot find a logical explanation for their theories. Even though there was a war between the World of Mages and The Humdrum, The Humdrum will never stop trying to get to Simon. The Humdrum’s desire is to get rid of magic, but he can’t do that without knowing how to beat Simon.
The conflict arises towards the end when they realize what The Humdrum is actually is fighting for. He doesn’t want to kill anyone, especially not Simon. He knows whatever type of dangerous animal he sends, Simon will fight because he wants to protect everyone. The Humdrum hopes that Simon will unleash unintended outbursts of energy. These outbursts are so powerful: he tore a hole in the magikal atmosphere, this created an echo of a look alike of Simon. The Humdrum wants more magic and for that to happen he needs Simon to go off.
To destroy the Humdrum will be difficult, so Penelope suggests escaping from Magik, but Simon disagrees because he wants to fix this problem. Simon wants to find his foster father, The Mage, and tell him everything he knows.
The overall meaning in this book is to always be careful. Problems start when someone loses control of a situation. People can lose loved ones, lose the trust of others, and find that people will do anything to escape drama. Fights like this make you blind and make you realize who the bad guy really is. In this case the Mage and the Humdrum were both evil and wanted magic for themselves.
I would recommend this book to anyone. It’s fascinating, interesting, action-packed, and makes you want to read more. People who are interested in fantasy/fiction will definitely enjoy this book.
Carry On

message 41: by Kenia (new)

Kenia | 4 comments Annie's Baby by Beatrice Sparks,Ph. D. Is a book for young adults who like fiction that takes place in town out by lake and protagonists Annie who as a fourteen years old pours out her heart to Daisy (Annie's Diary) confessing her feelings of panic and self-doubt on having to become a a mother.

As a fourteen years old Annie becomes a bit lonely after her dad left so she decides to find affection from someone who had gone though a really though time in his lifetime and who eventually becomes her boyfriend but, as time passes Annie's boyfriend seems to become another person as he starts hanging out with bad influences, who encourage him to mistreat Annie and as a result Annie becomes pregnant.

After Annie discover she is pregnant she has to find a way to tell her mom and her boyfriend about the challenge she would have to face. Thanks to her boyfriend who didn't even believed if the baby she was carrying was really his or another of the guys she had been with and he told her he didn't wanted anything to do with her or the baby.

Overall Annie mangers to move on with her life knowing there is no going back to her old life when she didn't had to take care of a baby. Now she not only needs to learn how to take care of her but, to take care of her baby too. At the end she could not let her baby have the opportunity to grow up in a stable and loving family with people who could really take care of her so, she decided to give her to a couple who really loved her.

I think the message the author is trying to give is to let young adults know the importance of awareness in a theme as delicate as sex and being aware of all the the risks in being sexually active.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, I would recommend this book to all the young adults so they can be aware in what kind of situation they are putting themselves in.

message 42: by Annayexy (new)

Annayexy | 4 comments The book that i am reading is called “ The boy in the striped pajamas “, it is a non fiction book. This book is about this family that are moving away since the father had a better job. Bruno discovers so many different things and also meets a young boy like his age. He figures out that the boy had a different life such as bruno. The house had slaves but they were so old and when they don't listen the right way they get killed or tortured. But at the end of the day, all they did was work. The boy had a best friend that was a slave and how bruno would bring him food, talk and would love to always be together even though there was a fence between them. All of a sudden bruno decided to go underneath the fence just to be like his best friend. The parents didn't know where he was when the day had came , when they had killed all the slaves. The mom knew that they had to check the room and he was in there and had died with the rest. This book was written cause during the holocaust, this guy wrote it in 2 in a half days before he had passed. The author is trying to inform us with the past and how everything had happened. The book was written for those that are interested in the holocaust and yes i assume that the author wrote this to let others know that nazis were the mean and horrible people that treated others like slaves. I feel like this overall messages gives us that in the olden days things were different compared to how it is right now. In my opinion , i do recommend the book “ The boy in the striped pajamas” because it's very interesting and for those that like sad books well here is one for you. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

message 43: by Jazmin (new)

Jazmin | 5 comments The book i chose to do a report on is called “ leaving Home” by Hazel Rochman & Darlene Z. McCampbell. The stories main focus is when the authors had to journey far away from home. Out of all the stories, The one that stood out to me the most was author’s Tim O'Brien's “ On the Rainy River”. This story takes place in Minnesota in the summer of 1968. Tim was in college with good grades and on track to go to Harvard law. One day he receives a draft notice to be drafted to the war in Vietnam. Tim neglects the notice in his wallet, but spends the summer thinking about it and how he thinks the war is wrong. One day at work he starts thinking about the draft notice, he drops his machine and heads home. Tim drives home and showers and looks around his house, looking at everything for the last time. All he thinks about is driving north to canada and never looking back. He stays at a lodge a mile away from the Rainy River and the Canadian border. The owner of the lodge named Elroy Berdahl let’s him stay in one of the cabins. During the week Tim and Elroy spend time together and doing chores around the lodge. During the last night at the lodge, Elroy decides to pay Tim for the chores he’s done but refuses the money.In the morning, Tim finds the money tacked to his door in an envelope with the words “ Emergency fund “ on it. Later on, Elroy and Tim go fishing right on the Rainy River, and canada is on the other side. Tim starts thinking about leaving all the things he loves like his family, friends and country. Tim starts crying but Elroy acts like he doesn’t hear him. They return to the lodge, Tim leaves and goes to serve in Vietnam.