The Sword and Laser discussion

Patreon

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (last edited Jan 19, 2017 10:30AM) (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments There's something that's been mulling around in my brain, but with Veronica asking for new Patreon bumpers, I thought I'd pulse the S&L community to see what you think. Especially if we have some economists in here.

People have been asking for Patreon donations for a few years now. I've come across it on Youtube and with nearly every podcast I listen to. But this year was the first time I became a patron. I'm doing a minimal patronage at Boars, Gore, and Swords and a subscription level patronage at Clarkesworld. But I listen to a good 20-30 podcasts. If it came to pay or don't listen - I'd have to choose don't listen. The reason I'm listening to podcasts instead of audiobooks is that they're free. Similar to the calculus at Humble Bundle or Story Bundle. I put in the minimum because those games (or books) are only worth it to me if I'm not paying full price. I already have enough books/games to keep me entertained for at least 5 years if I never got any more of them. So the value of buying another is nil. (It's more about opportunity cost - I've heard good things about this game. If I can get it now for $5 why not vs paying $20 later when I'm ready to play it)

Do you think the economics are sound to keep things going? I guess there's not a lot of ad money to go around because I hear the same few adds on every podcast (Casper Mattress, Square Space) with a few differences around very niche podcasts (some sex positive podcasts I listen to have ads from Me Undies). I never hear ads for cereal or Lowes or any of the hundreds of ads on TV. When it comes to Patreon - I was thinking about free to play games. If you put micro-transactions aside (although I guess you could consider merchandising to be a type of micro-transaction), there are Whales. Those are the people that spend hundreds of dollars on a game you play for free or maybe throw a few tens of dollars at. The Whales are putting in enough money to keep the game free for everyone. Is that sustainable for podcasts?

message 2: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments This isn't related to your main query so I apologize but how do you listen to 20-30 podcasts?! I can barely keep up with 2 and only caught up with S&L because I finally started going to the gym again. Damn!

message 3: by Geoff (new)

Geoff (geoffgreer) I agree that the reason I listen to podcasts is that they are free source of information and entertainment. I still think that podcasters are trying to figure out the best way to monetize. In my experience, ads are the best way (as long as they aren't too intrusive) but I understand that doesn't work for show. And yes, it is the same advertisers on most podcasts, unless they are specialized topics.

Dara, I'm subscribed to about 40 podcasts in my app. Part of staying up to date is that I don't listen to some episodes. For example, I've listened to maybe 7 episodes of Marc Maron's podcast over the past two years. Nothing's going to make me care enough Springsteen to listen to that episode.

message 4: by Eric (last edited Jan 19, 2017 11:35AM) (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Dara wrote: "This isn't related to your main query so I apologize but how do you listen to 20-30 podcasts?! I can barely keep up with 2 and only caught up with S&L because I finally started going to the gym aga..."

This is what I was listening to a year ago: http://www.ericsbinaryworld.com/2016/... It's almost time for an update (I do one annually) , but if I didn't miscount it's 33 on there.

Basically it's a combination of things:
1) like Geoff I don't listen to every episode of WTF or Fresh Air - just the stuff that interests me.
2) Some stuff doesn't come out often like Dan Carlin's Hardcore history.
3) I listen at 1.5x speed. Doggcatcher does that without a pitch shift. It's fast enough that I can still understand and I get through more of them quickly. Fiction I generally can't go past 1.1 or 1.2 if it's long-form, though.
4) Any time I'm doing something that doesn't require cognition, I'm listening to pocasts. Today I'm going to Costco - that's about an hour (2 episodes for many shows). Plus I hate radio (and the dumb stuff the DJs talk about) so rush hour is another hour or two of podcasts. I'm a dude and I have to shave my face daily - that plus tooth brushing and other morning stuff is another 20-30 minutes. Cleaning the kitchen while the wife puts the kids to bed is another 30 minutes. So when there isn't something crazy going on like Giant Bomb's Game of the Year (a week's worth of 4 hour-long podcasts) I'm often caught up or sometimes find myself without anything to listen to (that's when I toss on one of my backlog of audio books)
5) Sometimes - like now - I'm just really behind. So what I do is prefer shorter episodes so I can clear more of them out and save the long stuff for long trips.

message 5: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 136 comments Hey, fellow duder! I listen to both audiobooks and podcasts at 1.75x. It works well for me. And I also listen to audiobooks while doing the stuff you do while listening to podcasts. I rarely even listen to podcasts anymore, really, because I can listen to audiobooks instead. (GB is the exception.)

message 6: by Rick (last edited Jan 19, 2017 03:50PM) (new)

Rick | 2790 comments I think Patreon campaigns and the like rely on the hardcore, serious fan of a work more than the moderate or casual fan and most people aren't serious fans of 20+ things. Thus they're not assuming that everyone supports 20 or 30 things but that some people support 1 or 2 or 4 and other people support a different handful.

It works especially well for digital goods because the incremental cost to deliver the goods to non-supporters is close to zero so as long as the supporters can, er, support the production of the good and leave some profit so it's economically worthwhile to the creators it doesn't matter much how many others also get the good.

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Tobias wrote: "Hey, fellow duder! I listen to both audiobooks and podcasts at 1.75x. It works well for me. And I also listen to audiobooks while doing the stuff you do while listening to podcasts. I rarely even l..."

Yay, another duder who's into SFF.

message 8: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Rick wrote: "I think Patreon campaigns and the like rely on the hardcore, serious fan of a work more than the moderate or casual fan and most people aren't serious fans of 20+ things. Thus they're not assuming ..."

Makes sense what you're saying. If someone put a gun to my head and made me limit my podcasts (why?) there'd probably be about 5-10 that I'd really fight for.

One thing I meant to put in the original post that I forgot about - how does paying change your relationship w/ the podcast? (Love to hear esp from S&L supporters) I think the positive aspect is that you end up with buy-in. If you're paying for something you're probably going to evangelize it more. But on the other hand, the excuse "you're getting it for free you can't complain" no longer applies. I know I'm thinking of dropping my support for BGaS because they've moved away from the Book Club part of ASOIAF and that's starting to make me upset because that's what I'm paying for. I want to support them so they can cover more of that.

message 9: by Silvana (last edited Jan 20, 2017 08:48AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1627 comments Eric wrote: "how does paying change your relationship w/ the podcast?"

I'm a Patron for three podcasts: Mugglecast, Radio Westeros and History of Westeros (the last two are a must listen for ASOIAF fans - they made separate episodes for book readers who don't watch the series). Well, also recently S&L but I never consider S&L as a podcast because it's a book club and so much more!

Anyway, I have been satisfied with those three - they give a number of benefits for Patrons - even for minimum cheapo Patrons like me - such as power to vote for an episode, Q&A, live show participation, getting early posts, updates of progress (or lack of) and sometimes even bonus episodes, Patrons only. More interactions definitely givesme more sense of attachment than casual listeners, I guess.

For authors I have two now (Kameron Hurley and NK Jemisin) - all are highly recommended.

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2353 comments I just cleaned up the feed on my podcatcher for the new year. I'm listening to four podcasts on a regular basis and I just added a new one to try it on for size. I support the four regular podcasts on Patreon because I like the content and want to help keep them going. The economics can certainly be an issue. I can afford modest Patreon support because I dumped my satellite tv subscription and started reading more. I think it's worth paying for content that I enjoy.