Sci-Fi Group Book Club discussion

Books of the Month Nominations > Books of the Month nominations for February 2017

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Although our current monthly read was to extend from December 12th to January 12th, I thought it would be better to set up the next group read for the start of February. This will give people time to finish their December/January group read which may have been somewhat interrupted by the seasonal festivities.

So here's your chance to suggest group reads for February. All suggestions made in this topic will be listed in a poll in a few days' time so that we can vote on the two books for the monthly group read. Please feel free to repeat any earlier unsuccessful suggestions you made in previous topics.

Also, I would be interested to know if members would like themed group reads.

message 2: by David (new)

David Lutkins I'll nominate The Futurological Congress: From the Memoirs of Ijon Tichy by Stanisław Lem. A black comedy science fiction novel from 1971, this book is rated over 4 stars on Goodreads. Short read, less than 200 pages.

message 3: by Donna Rae (new)

Donna Rae Jones | 115 comments I'm going to re-nominate Yellow Blue Tibia. I decided to start reading this anyway (because I've wanted to for a while now) and am about halfway - there are some really funny passages and I fully recommend. Adam Roberts doesn't get anywhere near the attention he deserves!

message 4: by Richard, Astro (new)

Richard Buro (rwburo1outlookcom) | 35 comments Mod
I nominate Salt by Adam Roberts. This work was a 2001 nominee for the Arthur C. Clarke Award. Sounds like a great read if it lives up to its billing.

message 5: by Damon, ZARDOZ (new)

message 6: by Γιώργος (new)

Γιώργος (georgegialouris) Excellent suggestions so far! I've recently read The Thing Itself by Adam Roberts which I really enjoyed. I would love to read another one of his books, he is a great writer. To add some variety though, my suggestion would be Tau Zero. One of the classic ones that I haven't got round to it yet. It's definitely a must-read for me this year.

message 7: by PSXtreme (new)

PSXtreme I'm picking A Deepness in the Sky. Even though it's listed as the 2nd in a series here on GR, it's actually a prequel to the 1st book. It has received quite a few honors including: Hugo Award for Best Novel (2000), Nebula Award Nominee for Best Novel (1999), Arthur C. Clarke Award Nominee (2000), Kurd-Laßwitz-Preis for Foreign Novel (2004), John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (2000) and the Prometheus Award for Best Novel (2000) and has a 4.31 average reader rating.

message 8: by Brian (new)

Brian Cramer | 6 comments Out of obvious self interest, I'd like to suggest Flicker World. Cheers!

message 9: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Great suggestions so far! Has anybody any thoughts on themed group reads?

Damon wrote: "The Quantum Thief"

Having read the book's description, the protagonist's multiple selves reminds me a little of Moorcock's the Eternal Champion, although the latter is usually a hero in a fantasy setting as opposed to a major criminal. Looks like an interesting read.

message 10: by Mel (new)

Mel | 83 comments I nominate: A Fire Upon the Deep It's on my to read list.
Re: themes....not sure. Might make it interesting. Like: distopian, alien invasion, time travel...that sort of thing?

message 11: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Mel wrote: "I nominate: A Fire Upon the Deep It's on my to read list.
Re: themes....not sure. Might make it interesting. Like: distopian, alien invasion, time travel...that sort of thing?"

Yes that's what I had in mind. I wonder if something like four group reads a year that have themes would be worthwhile doing.

message 12: by Mel (new)

Mel | 83 comments Re: themes....not sure. Might make it interesting. Like: distopian, alien invasion, time travel...that sort of thi..."

Group reads, themed, quarterly. Why not then? Make it so!

message 13: by David (last edited Jan 21, 2017 10:24AM) (new)

David Lutkins Greg wrote: "Mel wrote: "I nominate: A Fire Upon the Deep It's on my to read list.
Re: themes....not sure. Might make it interesting. Like: distopian, alien invasion, time travel...that sort of thi..."

I think having themes could be a good idea for group reads, although it might be difficult to classify some novels, for example The World of Null-A or Solaris or Time Out of Joint, or The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag. I wouldn't readily know what theme to place these in except maybe "Fleeting Reality". In general, though, I think having themes would make it easier to vote for group reads.

message 14: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Mel wrote: "Re: themes....not sure. Might make it interesting. Like: distopian, alien invasion, time travel...that sort of thi..."

Group reads, themed, quarterly. Why not then? Make it so!"

Thank you, Number One! ;)

David wrote: "I think having themes could be a good idea for group reads, although it might be difficult to classify some novels, for example The World of Null-A or Solaris or Time Out of Joint, or The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag. I wouldn't readily know what theme to place these in except maybe "Fleeting Reality". In general, though, I think having themes would make it easier to vote for group reads. "

What about 'unclassifiable' as a theme? :P I suppose books that are hard to classify in that way could be nominated for the regular, non-themed, group reads.

message 15: by Mel (new)

Mel | 83 comments Unclassifiable - excluded from themes - eligible for normal monthly read. Sounds like a plan :)

message 16: by David (new)

David Lutkins Mel wrote: "Unclassifiable - excluded from themes - eligible for normal monthly read. Sounds like a plan :)"

Agreed, good plan.

message 17: by Aled (new)

Aled Davies | 6 comments Group! Reign is free for two days on Kindle!

message 18: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
A week's gone by since I set up this topic so, later on tonight, I intend to set up the poll. Anyone who hasn't made a suggestion yet has a few hours to do!

message 19: by Richard, Astro (new)

Richard Buro (rwburo1outlookcom) | 35 comments Mod
As far as themed reads go, I know how that goes, and it works, but it makes for a lot more work for the mod. That said, I am neutral on it. Can or can't. Okay, eiyher way.

message 20: by Greg, Muad'Dib (last edited Jan 30, 2017 04:45AM) (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
The poll to pick our group reads for February will begin at midnight GMT today here. Sorry for the two- or three-day delay in setting it up.

While this thread remains open no further suggestions for the poll can now be accepted.