Women At Warp Book Club discussion

Captain to Captain (Star Trek: Legacies #1)
This topic is about Captain to Captain
Legacies > Arrogance of Command

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Andi | 17 comments Mod
I was thinking about necessary qualities needed for good leaders when reading through this book.

All of the Captains in Captain to Captain are shown to bending/outright breaking Starfleet rules because they have more confidence in their ability to make a better decision than the rules with dictate.

Setting aside the moral debate surrounding their decisions, is this arrogance a good quality for a leader? Might it even be necessary to be the kind of person who can make decisive decisions in a crisis? Where is the line on that?

Thoughts? Did anyone else notice that theme throughout this book?

Jarrah (jarrahpenguin) | 34 comments Mod
Wow - I didn't really think of that but you're totally right. We see even more of that in Book 2 - the people we're supposed to sympathize with are the people breaking the rules, in almost every situation.

In Book 1 I don't think everyone who breaks the rules could be described as arrogant about it, but I think Una's decision is the most questionable. Because of her actions, the Enterprise crew is put in jeopardy, the peace talks are seriously threatened, and the Romulans get their hands on a weapon of mass destruction! Because she feels guilt over something that wasn't even really her fault.

I get why she did it and admire her commitment not to leave her subordinates behind, but bigger things are at play and I was surprised Kirk and Spock let her get away with it without driving that point home a bit more.

I wouldn't really describe Kirk as arrogant, or April. He breaks the rules but in situations where he's pushed by others and have limited choices available to them.

April's arrogance is mostly around thinking he knows what's best to do with the transfer key. I think the decision is definitely debatable given what happens with Yeoman Bates later.

Andi | 17 comments Mod
Maybe arrogance isn't the right word because it seems more aggressive. But confidence doesn't work either because it's too passive.

Una made a decision to take risks with the mission because she had complete faith in her abilities as "Number One", a decision that ended with her crew mates being stranded. She then did the same thing when she took off into the other dimension to save them.

Robert April and Kirk both made the decision to ignore Starfleet policy and hide the existence of the transfer key.

All of these decisions can be debated as "correct" or not, but the thing that interests me is leaders feeling that it their right to make them. That Kirk thinks he has the right to withhold information from his superiors, or that Una feels she has the right to make decisions without the input of literally anyone else.

That's where I got the term arrogance and I still think it applies. I just think it's interesting to discuss whether arrogance is necessarily a negative trait, and whether or not in might actually be vital to decisive command.

Jarrah (jarrahpenguin) | 34 comments Mod
For sure. And actually as I finish Book 3 I think I'm more convinced the term "arrogance" does apply, as we see Kirk refuse to arrest Una and all of them argue that Starfleet better not discipline them, basically because the ends justify the means.

Fascinating. Looking forward to hearing others' thoughts and discussing this on the show.

June | 3 comments Embarrassing to say, but I simply 'ploughed' thru these books last year when I got them. Your well thought out comments have made me think further into the plot.
I do think the captains had too much arrogance in their ability to hide the key....should have known it would eventually bite them...it always does.....