The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Good Omens to become a TV series on Amazon

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Will (new)

Will (longklaw) | 261 comments a 6-episode limited series

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8496 comments Looks like Gaiman is writing all 6 episodes, too.

message 4: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 881 comments First look at David Tennant and Michael Sheen as Crowley and Aziraphale.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/our-first-look...

message 5: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3959 comments Books so often don't translated into good movies, or miniseries'. But I am glad that Neil Gaiman is getting paid. I'm definitely in favor of authors getting money!

message 6: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Jon Hamm to play Gabriel https://www.avclub.com/jon-hamm-to-pl...

Gaiman is going to beef up the role for the TV adaptation. I'm about halfway through the book now and haven't encountered him yet.

message 7: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1628 comments Teaser is out!
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-goo...

I don't really like the book but this looks good.

message 8: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8496 comments Trailer dropped today. Tenant and Sheen together means my head my explode.

https://youtu.be/hUJoR4vlIIs

message 9: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Show launched today. Who's watching? I'm excited but I won't get a chance to until next week. Boo! Spoiler tags are appreciated.

message 10: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4144 comments I plan to watch Sunday with my dad (it's his birthday).

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark Ferrando | 13 comments I just watched the first two episodes with my folks at their place and a fun time was had by all, which is promising considering the differing levels of familiarity we each had with the source material: I’ve read just about everything by Neil Gaiman and/or Terry Pratchett twice over, my mother has read a little bit of both over the years (including Good Omens), and my father has only had tangential contact with either of their works. If it can appeal to all three of us despite our disparate knowledge bases then I have very high hopes that it can gain critical and commercial success across a wide swath of demographics.

What I find especially promising is the fact that we were each disappointed that we had to call it a night after just two episodes - the last series to imbue that same yearning effect over all three of us was Avatar: The Last Airbender, and I’d say that definitely qualified as both a critical and commercial success with widespread appeal. I’m keeping my fingers crossed in the hopes that the rest of the series is as delightful as this promising start implies.

message 12: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it. David Tennant is a gift.

message 13: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1335 comments Dara wrote: "I watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it. David Tennant is a gift."

My wife still sees him as the Tenth Doctor (she hasn't watched Jessica Jones).

Very happy with the first two shows...

message 14: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2354 comments Watched all six episodes this weekend. Tennant and Sheen are terrific. It's nice to watch a complete story without real world or scripted distractions. I guess Neil Gaiman worked on the screenplay, which may be why it feels like a tight script.

message 15: by Silvana (last edited Jun 05, 2019 04:51AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1628 comments I love Dog! Just watched the first ep, Sheen and Tennant are a fabolous duo.

message 16: by Stubble (new)

Stubble McShave | 34 comments Unfortunately I must say that I was a bit disappointed.

The interactions between Tennant and Sheen were great but I didn't like the tone of the adaptation.
I think it lacked in similar ways that Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy lacked when compared to its source material.

However if you guys like it, more power to you.

message 17: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1554 comments I’m only two episodes in, but so far I like it a lot. One of the things I really thought was fun, was the score. It seems to play off of other known properties to give you a familiar feeling for what scenes are going to be about, but has a default note similar to Sherlock. This last bit makes a lot of sense since it is the same composer.

I also really like the choice of actors, many of the smaller roles are full of actors I’ve seen in other things that I enjoyed as well.

message 18: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1327 comments One of my favorite authors ripped it to shreds on twitter the other day, but Sunday will be my binge day on it. I too love the actors involved and of course the book, so I will lower my expectations

message 19: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1628 comments I am now in episode four. Anathema and Newton's not my fave subplot in the book - I think they're useless and boring - and the TV version is only a bit better. What a waste of Jack Whitehall.

I did however enjoy the additional flashbacks of Az and Crowley.

message 20: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2354 comments Silvana wrote: "I did however enjoy the additional flashbacks of Az and Crowley."

Here's an article about the flashbacks...

https://io9.gizmodo.com/one-of-good-o...

message 21: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1628 comments Mark wrote: "Silvana wrote: "I did however enjoy the additional flashbacks of Az and Crowley."

Here's an article about the flashbacks...

https://io9.gizmodo.com/one-of-good-o...-..."

Ooh, thanks for the article! That 30 minute sequence was my highlight so far.

message 22: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1554 comments Just finished. I liked it through and through. I hadn't read the book, so the story was new to me, and I really liked it. I liked its quirkiness, the directing, the acting, and like I said before, the score/ soundtrack. I liked how some of the twists were telegraphed, and some were more obscure. Overall, it just felt really well done. It felt more like an 80's miniseries, with the high production value, slightly bigger name stars, fully contained story, and it was a bit lighter as well. Not a heavy story like what HBO does.

message 23: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8496 comments Downloading the first 3 episodes to watch on the plane. V excited!

message 24: by Colin (new)

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 494 comments 5 out of 5 flaming swords from this reviewer!

message 25: by Silvana (last edited Jun 07, 2019 05:39AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1628 comments :D I think mine is 4.5 out of 5 flaming swords. I really enjoyed the tighter plotting (compared to the book), more focus on Az and Crowley's relationship (oh now they're my fave duo), tone, casting, music, humour, quirk (the Hell squad were my fave - Lord of Files haha)...... It's just so well done.

I wish the Night Watch series is as good as this. Vimes! Vetinari!

PS: Did anyone expect (view spoiler)

message 26: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1327 comments Well, that was a good adaptation. All the actors nailed it, the kids were great. It flowed nicely.

message 27: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 66 comments Finished my binge last night. That was bloody brilliant.

message 28: by Trike (last edited Jun 20, 2019 02:22PM) (new)

Trike | 8496 comments A Christian group started a petition demanding that Good Omens be canceled by Netflix for being ungodly.

To which Neil Gaiman replied:

Neil Gaiman
@neilhimself
·
Jun 19
This is so beautiful... Promise me you won't tell them?

😂

message 29: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4144 comments This makes me so happy. Gaiman's response was PERFECT.

message 30: by Dara (last edited Jun 21, 2019 07:11AM) (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I've watched 4 episodes and I'm not loving it as much as I thought I would. I'm enjoying it, sure, but I'm not in love with it. Aside from Aziraphale and Crowley. Sheen and Tennant are perfection.

message 31: by Ian (RebelGeek) (new)

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 575 comments We watched this as a family. We all loved it. My 9 year old daughter is now reading my paperback copy.

message 32: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Finished over the weekend. It was okay but I didn't love it. It was at least an episode and a half too long. Tennant and Sheen's chemistry made the show sparkle and every scene without them suffered by comparison.

message 33: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3542 comments Mod
I enjoyed it more than the book. 8/10

It did drag on a bit in Episode 6.

Crowley's swagger was bit much. That annoyed me as much as Negan's in "The Walking Dead"

message 34: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3959 comments Two episodes in. Loving Tennant in the role. The snake eyes are great.

The bit with the dog was hilariously done.

message 35: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "It did drag on a bit in Episode 6.

Crowley's swagger was bit much. That annoyed me as much as Negan's in "The Walking Dead""

Yes, episode 6 did drag and one particular scene in episode 5 stands out to me: (view spoiler)

I enjoyed Crowley's swagger. It was exaggerated but I liked it.

message 36: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3542 comments Mod
I loved that scene. Miranda Richardson is one of my favourite actresses. She hammed that scene up splendidly.

message 37: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3959 comments Well, that was just frickin' amazing. Tour de force all the way through.

How to pick highlights? Some of the even-better parts of a great show:

* Tennant chewing up the scenery. He played the emo understated Doctor, now he's blasting through scenes turned up to 11.

* Sheen did the angst-filled, understated angel very well next to Crowley.

* Ned Dennehy performance as Hastur. More pronounced towards the end, he's really evil throughout. He treated the Sisters exactly as a demon would.

* Insufferable angels who believe they know God's will even though he has not expressed it.

All in all an excellent adaptation of a great book. Any changes made were necessary, and as small as possible. In fact, the changes allowed the miniseries to address what I thought was one of the failings of the book, which is (view spoiler)

message 38: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6785 comments Mod
It took me awhile, but I finally finished it a few weeks ago. I agree that it was a bit slow at times but I recall feeling something similar about the books.

I think I liked it better than the book. My favorite part was the episode where (view spoiler)

message 39: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8496 comments 😇 Good Omens: Lockdown 😈

https://youtu.be/quSXoj8Kob0

😂

🍰 🥖 🧁 🎂 🍞 🥯