Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 Weekly checkins > Week 3: 1/13 - 1/19

Comments Showing 1-50 of 156 (156 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments It's another fabulous Thursday check-in! Hope everyone is doing well :)

Here's an interesting read for the week - http://www.businessinsider.com/a-harv...

I finished one book in the last week - The Woman in Cabin 10. Sadly the book did not live up to my hopeful expectations, but I do know some people who really enjoyed it. I would say it might be good for people who liked The Girl on the Train and Gone Girl, but Nadine punctured a hole in that theory ;) I am using it for my unreliable narrator. It's maybe a bit of a stretch, but the narrator is suffering from some paranoia mixed with anxiety, PTSD (her words, not mine) and several binge drinking sessions.

Still working on:
Washington: A Life - book that takes place over a character's life span
Anna Karenina - book over 800 pages
The Saga of the Volsungs - book based on mythology

Question of the week: Do you loan out your books? If so, do you have only certain books you're willing to loan? How do you keep track of what's out?

For the most part I'm willing to loan out my books. Most of my books are easily replaced so if I don't get it back I can just buy another copy. I have replaced my copy of Outlander several times after lending it out. If it means someone is reading then all is well!

If I had more valuable books (rare editions, signed copies, notes in the margin, etc) I would probably not let those go.

message 2: by Megan (last edited Jan 19, 2017 07:33AM) (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments I only finished Envy last week. Trying to wrap up that series before fully diving in to the challenge. I started Splendor last night.

1/52 completed so far

QOTW I was about to say no, that I don't loan out books. But then I remembered I lended my brother my copy of The Maze Runner and I still haven't gotten it back all these years later - lol.

message 3: by Brooke (last edited Jan 19, 2017 08:34AM) (new)

Brooke | 273 comments I read Fangirl this week so far and was disappointed. (I really liked Rowell's previous 2 books, though.) I couldn't relate or care for any of the characters, and I didn't think a majority of the MC's behavior was realistic. I used it from the "genre/subgenre I've never heard of" prompt....the fandom genre.

I'm still reading:
Word of Honor - for the "800+ pages" prompt, so this will take a while
The Lightning Thief - I should finish this today for the "book based on mythology" prompt
The Handmaid's Tale - for the "book recommended by a librarian" prompt

Do you loan out your books?
I mostly read on a Kindle, and I have not yet loaned any books that way, although I know it is possible. I do loan out my other books, especially if it is a title I really enjoyed. If it is a hardback copy, I keep the jacket on my bookshelf to remind me. I just keep a mental list of any paperback/soft-covered books.

**ETA I am at 3/52 this week and will be at 4/52 by the end of the day.

message 4: by Fannie (last edited Jan 19, 2017 06:00AM) (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 418 comments Bonjour tous,

I am done with Fall of Giants for the war book. I liked it a lot and will read the sequel (Winter of the World) for the title with a season. But not yet.

I am now reading (and will finish today) Fool's Quest: Book II of the Fitz and the Fool Trilogy for the author who use pseudonym. I like this serie and this book will get 5 stars.

I got a call that I received Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two from my reservation at the library so I will read this next. I just don't know if I can use it in any of the categories of this challenge.

QOTW: I loan my books all the time. It's a pleasure for me to know that people that I like reads books that I like also. The only exception to the rule is two books that have been signed by the author: Même le mal se fait bien.

message 5: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 355 comments I finished "Before the Attack", nonfiction about a long range recon mission during WWII. The soldiers spent 19 days deep behind enemy lines gathering information and blowing up railways. They were actually also the first Finnish Special Forces, before there really were any Special Forces.

I also finished a biography about Tom of Finland. I hadn't realised the work he and the Foundation has done for the right of artists.

I am also reading Close Range and Stormbird.

QOTW I don't really have to, we have an excellent library system and I probably don't have a book my friends would want to read and couldn't find there. I would if someone asked me and I have borrowed books from friends because they had offered and the library books were all out at the time. Then again I am involved in Bookcrossing which means most of my books are not really mine.

message 6: by Nadine in NY (last edited Jan 19, 2017 06:09AM) (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5907 comments Mod
Good morning from northern NY, where it is misty and unseasonably warm. Hopefully it will go back below freezing soon, because I'm tired of wiping mud off my dogs. I'm sure I'll be under a foot of snow by next week.

I am 7/52. This week I finished:

Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice for my book involving food. This was great and I'm so glad I finally read it! This is what the Challenges are great for: spurring you to finally read that book that's been banging around on your TBR for too long. And I'm glad I've got eleven more volumes to look forward to reading.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes for "eccentric character" - I only just started reading Sherlock Holmes books last year and I can't believe I waited so long!

And tonight I will finish Heartless for bestseller from 2016. I loved this ... UNTIL the last few chapters, when I nearly threw my book in disgust. I have no idea how I will rate this.

I'm still working my way through my 800 pager (11/22/63) - I should finish next month sometime. Or maybe the month after. This book is endless, and unfortunately I'm not enjoying it.

QOTW. I don't really have a lot of friends nearby, so I do loan my books, but only to my kids (who live with me, so the books don't go far!) and my mother. In the past I've lost a few favorites by loaning. It's risky!

message 7: by Erica (last edited Jan 19, 2017 06:43AM) (new)

Erica | 9 comments I finished November 9 last week, putting me at 2/52, and I used it to fulfill the audiobook category. Normally, I'm not a fan of audiobooks because they seem so slow, but I used the free trial of audible and the option to speed it up was really nice. However, audible seems pretty expensive for only one book a month considering I finished November 9 in three days, so sadly I don't think I'll be listening to any more any time soon. Also, the book itself was pretty good, not my favorite CoHo book though.

I'm still working on:
A Thousand Splendid Suns- a book by an author from a country you've never visited (23%)
You Are A Bad Ass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life- a book with career advice (66%)

I went back to school this week and while it's still syllabus week right now, I don't know how much I'll get to read in the coming weeks (cue the sad violins).

Do you loan out books?
I used to frequently in high school and used a goodreads shelf to keep track. Not many of my friends were readers and if they showed interest in a book, I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to be able to talk about that book with someone. Several I have never gotten back, including my beloved signed copy of The Retribution of Mara Dyer. However, I rarely reread books, so not getting one back really just opens up a spot on my shelves and gives me an excuse to buy another book!

message 8: by Cristin (new)

Cristin | 25 comments This week I finished My Side of the Mountain for my book set in the wilderness and How to Train Your Dragon as the first book in a series I haven't read before. I also made more progress in Game of Thrones, but probably won't use it for a prompt after all since it is a re-read. My book over 800 pages will most likely become A Storm of Swords, since that is the first book in ASOIAF that is not a re-read to me. fingers crossed that I can get there this time.

QOTW For the most part I am happy to lend out books. I usually make a post-it note for the spot on my shelf where the book lives to remind me who has it. I do have a few really nice leather bound editions that I can't see myself lending, like my "Big Red Book" edition of the Lord of the Rings, just because the cost of replacing them means I wouldn't be able to for a long time should they not come back to me.

Thegirlintheafternoon Hi everyone! I finished 5 books this week, 3 of them for this challenge, bringing me to 6/40.

- The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective for "a book you bought on a trip" - Not as strong as I'd been hoping given all I've heard about it, but an interesting read nonetheless.
- Temptations of a Wallflower for "a book recommended by a librarian" - HOT. I often skip over sex scenes in romance because I don't think they're particularly sexy, but HOO BOY this one was steamy. (I am also a librarian, so if this sounds like it might be up your alley, it could check off a prompt there!)
- Nutshell for "an audiobook" - Really great performance of this book, which is a modern-day retelling of Hamlet told by an in-utero Hamlet. The narrator had just the right level of whining pomposity, and also it was less than 5 hours long (always a plus for me when listening!).
- An Unseen Attraction for Around the Year's "book by one of your favorite authors" - I love K.J. Charles, though I prefer her pure historical romance to her fantasy/mystery works. This was a full-on gothic horror novel with a strong backbone of romance, and I did like it a lot. One of the heroes was a man of color who was strongly implied to be on the spectrum, and from my (admittedly outsider) perspective, I thought she handled his story really well.
- A Private Miscellany - Also by K.J. Charles, and not for any challenge, I read this EXTREMELY STEAMY coda to the Society of Gentlemen series.

I'm currently reading Northanger Abbey for Popsugar's "a book you've read before that's guaranteed to make you smile" prompt and Whatever Happened to Interracial Love? for Book Riot's "a collection of stories by a woman" prompt. Both are excellent!

QOTW: I fear I am far more often the person who borrows and does not return than the opposite!

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Nadine wrote: "I am 7/52.

Forgot to add that to my post! I am at 6/52.

message 11: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5907 comments Mod
Sara - Hah! This is - I think - the first time I remembered to add my numbers!

message 12: by Tara (last edited Jan 19, 2017 06:20AM) (new)

Tara | 4 comments I finished The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest - it was very good. I have great respect for Anatoli Boukreev after reading this book.

Now I'm reading Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. It is a horror book -- which used to be my favourite genre -- but I haven't read a horror book in awhile. So far it is very good!

I do lend out my books. The only books that I nag people to give back are the ones that aren't in print anymore.

message 13: by Shannon (new)

Shannon This week I read The Fashion of Film: Fashion Design Inspired by Cinema for the book with a subtitle prompt. It's a coffee table type of book with great pictures and slightly dry though interesting writing.

I also read Ella Enchanted for the book you loved as a child prompt. It was cute but hasn't held up super well for me as an adult.

QOTW- The only physical copies of books that I keep are my favorites. I am also gentle on my book's spines. So I tend to guard them rather jealously. That said, if I trust the person to return the book and be good to it, than I have lent them out occasionally. I will usually make a little note so I can remember the date went it was lent.

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Fannie wrote: "I got a call that I received Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two from my reservation at the library so I will read this next. I just don't know if I can use it in any of the categories of this challenge."

Would definitely work for a bestseller from 2016 if you are planning to do the advanced list. It would also work for a book set in multiple time periods :)

message 15: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 418 comments Thanks Sara.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 21 comments I have finished The Sellout this week for book by a person of color, The Door by Magda Szabo for a book with an eccentric character and Booklife: Strategies and Tips for the 21st Century Writer for the career book.

I have started Selected Stories by Randall Jarrell for a book by more than one author, the Sheep Queen (category to be decided) and The Serpent's Promise for a book with pictures.

QOTW: I lend out books mostly to my kids. I don't keep track well at all. And it pretty much depends on the book. If it's something I wouldn't want to lose- no. If it's something I just know someone will love yes.

message 17: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (ninmin30) | 49 comments Hello everyone! This week I finished The Girl in the Spider's Web. I'm not sure which prompt I will use that for as it fits in several, so TBD. I am still reading The Fiery Cross. I like to keep that book in my car and read it when I'm out and about and have time. The next book I am planning to read isMy Life on the Road. This one as well can be used for a number of different prompts. Excited to get into that one and read some nonfiction.

QOTW: I do loan my books out. I send my cousin each Outlander book as I finish it so she can read them (I am currently on the 5th, she just started the 3rd). And when she is done with them, she sends them to one of our family friends! I don't really care if my books are gone. Maybe I'll get them back one day, maybe not!

message 18: by Jillian (last edited Jan 19, 2017 06:50AM) (new)

Jillian | 0 comments 3/52
I have not finished any books this week for the challenge but I do have several books going:
Books I'm reading with my kids :
10. A book with a cat on the cover-Something Under the Bed is Drooling: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection/Bill Watterson

20. A book with career advice-The Lemonade War/Jacqueline Davies

We are also reading The Trumpet of the Swan/E.B. White and I'm not sure yet exactly where I will be putting this book

I'm also reading 4. An audiobook-The Last Star/Rick Yancey

I'm about half way done with 8. A book that's more than 800 pages-The Way of Kings/Brandon Sanderson

QOTW: I have no problem lending out books though this is a rare occurrence (I don't own any special editions). If I did not get a book back and I wanted to read it again, I would just get the ebook or audio book edition.

message 19: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (edugosh) | 14 comments I just finished Truly Madly Guilty which is my book by an author from a country you've never visited and also a book for my book club. I'm currently reading Of Fire and Stars which I cannot fit into my PopSugar reading challenge but is going toward my numbers goal on Goodreads. It was in the December OwlCrate.

QOTW: I have so many books and most are from the library's used book sales so I'm happy to loan out almost any book. I have an ongoing book exchange with a co-worker but try to keep that to books that I think she'll enjoy or we have an exchange after book club where we toss books on the table and anyone is welcome to them.

message 20: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn | 25 comments I am working on The Emperor of All Maladies: Are Biography of Cancer for a book with a subtitle. I would highly recommend it! It isn't the happiest topic but it is so interesting!

As for loaning my books, it is one of my favorite things to do. I live sharing books that I love with other people and then talk about it with them. I usually forget about loaning them out until a couple months later, though, so I probably have lost a few books this way but I won't stop!

Caly ☯ Crazy Book Lady Greetings from Knoxville, TN where if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes. LOL We have gone from single digits and ice and snow to 60 degrees and sunshine (and everything in between )in the course of the last week.

At the moment I have only 75 pages left in the book The Lost City of the Monkey God: A True Story so I will definitely finish it today or tomorrow. I am using it for #14 a book involving travel. I also received it in a giveaway which was very cool.

Next up I think I will read Into the Sea of Qi which has been on my TBR list the longest.

As to the QOTW, I had a bad experience loaning one of my favorite books a few years ago and never getting it back (it was supposedly eaten by her puppy) so while I still loan books occasionally, it is only to people I feel I can really trust and it is only books that if they were lost I would not care as much. Also I do a LOT of my reading on my Kindle so I don't loan those, though I do share them with my wife. *grin

message 22: by Mirel (new)

Mirel | 168 comments I'm assuming that the books we read do not have to be in English. If so, I read the picture book Cloudette to my granddaughters this week. It was translated from English to Hebrew. Nice story about how you don't have to be big to accomplish big things.

Also finished Jojo Moyes "One Plus One." It's a book about a trip which I bought while I was on vacation, so that too qualifies for more than one category, TBD.

Also started an anthology of short stories by various Yiddish authors. Does that qualify as a book written by more than one author? Not sure if the intention was to a book with joint authors or whether anthologies are ok too for this.

message 23: by Tytti (last edited Jan 19, 2017 07:54AM) (new)

Tytti | 355 comments Oh, and I am now 3/40, I think.

Also apparently it's now warmer in Finland as it is in Spain (and most of Europe, I guess), as they got the cold air from Siberia. It's freezing there and we have plus degrees.

https://twitter.com/forecasuomi/statu...

message 24: by LdyGray (new)

LdyGray | 7 comments Hi everyone!
This week I've finished 3 books (bringing me to 4/52).

The Secret of Shadow Ranch for a book I loved as a child (it was a fun read, but does not hold up particularly well).

Wishful Drinking for a book written by an author I admire (Carrie Fisher). Loved this one!

The Lost City of the Monkey God: A True Story for a book published in 2017. Caly, I'll look forward to your review! I really enjoyed this one, although it made me never want to go to the jungle.

I also read The Cat Who Saw Red, thinking it had a cat on the cover, but it didn't! So I'll have to find another book for that category. I'm in the process of reading Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont for a book set in a hotel.

QOTW: I love lending out my books, and am that irritating person in my book club who is constantly pressing books on people. Many of my books are used already, so I don't worry about them being lost or damaged. But I track them by taking a photo with my phone of the person holding up the book; when they return it, I delete the photo!

message 25: by Mirel (new)

Mirel | 168 comments Can I count "Sisters One, Two, Three which I read in January, but before I knew about the challenge?

As for QOTW, I loan out books only if I wouldn't feel bad about not getting it back. I do ask people not to fold donkey ears.

So far, 6/40

message 26: by Mike (last edited Jan 19, 2017 08:02AM) (new)

Mike | 443 comments Finished several this week, part of my strategy to knock out some short and easy ones early to get a quick start, and incentive to keep going.

The Winter People for Season in Title/Group Read. Meh.

The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit for Career Advice. Very short and painless. Also can apply to everyone.

Hot Dog Taste Test for Book with Pictures. Not sure what to think, but I am pretty sure I wasn't the target audience. Strange.

About halfway through Sleeping Giants, which was recommended by a librarian, but I'm going to use it for First Book in a Series You Haven't Read Yet.

3/40, 4/52

message 27: by Lindi (last edited Jan 19, 2017 08:50AM) (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) It's finally warmed up here in Washington! 45 and rainy ;)

I finished one book this week - Little House in the Big Woods for "set in the wilderness." I haven't read this one since I was a child, and I was pleasantly surprised that I pretty much remember everything! Definitely still a favorite of mine.

This knocks off my personal goal for the year for January of reading one classic a month. Granted, this was an easy one - but it's a good start right? I was also in a reading rut, and this and Sorcerer's Stone really got me out of it.

This week I'm working on Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person.

2/52

QOTW: I have loaned books in the past, but I don't buy too many anymore. If I have a book to recommend to friends they will usually just go out and buy it themselves or check it out from the library. I would have trouble handing over a nice new hardcover though (without the dust jacket of course).

message 28: by Sara (new)

Sara | 13 comments This past week I have finished Heartless for the 'book recommended by a librarian' prompt. It was not my favorite book by Marissa Meyer, but it was a decent read.

I also read Until Friday Night for the 'A book with a month or day of the week in the title' prompt. It was a very quick read I really enjoyed it.

Do You Want to Start a Scandal was a very cute romance novel I read this past week.

I am currently working on: Finding Audrey, Dark Matter, Winter's Tales and Children of Earth and Sky.

Question of the Week:

I do not buy print books very often so lending a book requires me to lend my Kindle. There are maybe 3 or 4 people I trust with my Kindle. I do end up giving print books or ebooks as gifts for just about every occasion.

message 29: by Allie (new)

Allie | 52 comments Hi everyone!

Sadly, I haven't finished any books this week. Life got in the way. I started Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly as my book about food, but had to put it down. I'm not in the mood for a nonfiction book at the moment.

However, I did also start The Remains of the Day for a story within a story, and I'm loving it so far!

QOTW: I loan books out depending on how much that book means to me. If it holds sentimental value, I most likely won't let anyone borrow it. If it can go either way on whether I liked it or not, then I won't mind lending it out. That just means I have more space for books I actually love.

message 30: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I finished the book written by someone from a country you've never visited The Little Paris Book Shop. Probably would have read more but I was bored by this and it bogged me.

QOTW
I will to closer friends because I once loaned a hard cover I got for my bday to someone at work and the chick quit the job and I never saw her again!

message 31: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 153 comments Hi, all! This week I finally finished listening to the audiobook of Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, narrated by Wil Wheaton for prompt #4, an audiobook. I really enjoyed it, and am recommending it to my husband as well.

I also finished No Man's Land by David Baldacci for prompt #40, a book you bought on a trip. I didn't realize it was the 4th book in a series, but the way it was written, I didn't feel like I was missing any important details that made this book less interesting. I will probably go back and read the others, just because I liked this one.

I started and finished The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner with my son for prompt #25, a book you loved as a child.

I also started reading Moonlight Becomes You by Mary Higgins Clark, but when I went to mark it as "currently reading," I realized it was on my advanced list for prompt #9, a book you got from a used book sale. So, I got a head start on the advanced list, even though I wasn't planning to start that until I had finished the regular list.

My final book I've started this week is A Little Bit Wicked: Life, Love, and Faith in Stages by Kristin Chenoweth & Joni Rodgers. I think I'm reading this for prompt #12, a bestseller from a genre you don't normally read (biography/humor), or I may use it for prompt #32, a book about an interesting woman. I had other options for both of those prompts, but the audiobook for this kind of fell into my lap, so I went with it. Not in love with it, but about 30% of the way through & figure I might as well just finish it and move on. I do plan to read the other books on all my prompt ideas if I have time after I finish this challenge, or maybe I'll wait and see if they fit any categories for next year's challenge. Anyway...

QOTW: In the past, I have been known to loan out books, but not often, because I don't want to lose them. However, I am trying to declutter my house and I realize that most of the books I have will not be re-read (well, except for Harry Potter collection, which will have to be pried out of my cold, dead hands one day), so I'm really thinking about getting rid of all the ones I'm reading for this challenge that aren't on my Kindle. I think I'm going to bring them to work to see if anyone wants them, and if so, I'm going to ask them to pass them on or donate them when they're finished, because I don't want them back, even the ones I enjoyed. I just want other people to have them.

message 32: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 123 comments Hello, Fellow Readers:

This past week I read three books and started another.

I read The Miniaturist beautifully written, atmospheric book set in seventeenth century Amsterdam.

I also read two books in series by an author I hadn't known before, The Hanover Square Affair and A Regimental Murder by Ashley Gardner. These history-mysteries (books 1 and 2 of the Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries) are set in London. 1816-ish. The main character, Gabriel Lacey is a Napoleonic war veteran who involves himself in solving murders.

Finally, I am currently reading The Bees by Laline Paull. So far, it's a REALLY WEIRD book, and I will have to force myself to continue reading. Several reviewers with whom I usually agree and find to be very reliable in their recommendations, liked it, but I am struggling. :(

message 33: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Hi all,
Good morning!!!
Finally, it is not snowing in Vancouver, but I can tell you -- it was raining really hard last night.

Anyways, I am currently 7/40 in the challenge!!! Woooo.

This week, I finished #40 - A book you bought on a trip. I read The Rescue Honestly, this is typical Nicholas Sparks....and yes, a bit sappy at times.
Also, this book was written around 1999 or 2000 so there are some technology issues -- like not everyone has a smartphone in their back pocket! LOL

I am now reading for #14 A book involving travel and I have an ARC of The Yellow Envelope: One Gift, Three Rules, and a Life-Changing Journey Around the World Very enjoyable so far! Kim takes a trip around the world, after her and her husband sell their house and most of their belongings.....kinda makes me want to jump on a plane, immediately.

I am also waiting for a steampunk book, on hold at the library.

QOTW: I do not loan out my stuff very much....I've not gotten some books back in the past. My mom and I now have a bit of a lending thing going on! She lends me mysteries, and I just gave her my copy of The Martian . Only loaning to mom right now!

message 34: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 242 comments I finished two books this week:

14. A book involving travel - Sky Train: Tibetan Women on the Edge of History. I learned fascinating (and usually sad) things about Tibet and what happened to the women during the Chinese take over. It fits in the travel task because the author travels to Tibet and to cities with Tibetan refugees to interview them, and compares it to her previous trips.

43. A book with a family member in the title (would also work for 10. A book with a cat on the cover) - The Tiger's Wife. This book received critical acclaim and won several awards. The author writes beautiful passages, but I didn't think the book hung together well and I had to force myself to finish it.

QoTW: I read library books whenever I can, but I do purchase some books. When I'm done, I give away those I don't want to read again. I do lend the books I want to keep, but only to good friends because several books that I lent to casual acquaintances were never returned.

message 35: by Betty (new)

Betty Quon Hello Everyone!
It is a yucky, rainy day here, but it isn't cold, so that's good. Hope y'all are having a good day!

Well, last week I posted that I had only finished one book for the week, which made me feel like a slacker, but I actually finished Still Life that night, so, technically, that counted for the week! Yay!

This week I finished two books, the first was The Requiem Red which I am using for the "author/character with a disability" prompt. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the next one in the series. The second book I read was recommended by a librarian when I said I wanted to read a diverse group of books this year. It was The Inn Between which I really didn't enjoy very much. It was actually a "juvenile" book and that really bothered me. It was way too dark for 8 or 9 year old children, in my opinion.

QOTW: I have had trouble with book hoarding in the past, and I'm not organized enough for that habit. I only have a few books that I keep, such as bibles, devotionals, a book my grandmother gave me, and a storybook from my childhood. I now, mostly, read e-books or get books from the library. If I do buy a real book, I usually end up giving it away to friends or donating it to the library. I have been considering getting a set of "Little House" books to re-read and keep. If I do that, I don't think I will loan them to anyone.

message 36: by Juanita (last edited Jan 19, 2017 09:49AM) (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments No progress for me to report this week. I haven't had the attention span for reading (sadly) in the last week. I've been plodding through Etiquette & Espionage and am 38% through it. Hope to finish it over the weekend. It will work for steampunk, first in a series or, technically, spy novel. I'll likely use for steampunk.

Still at 2/40.

QOTW: I do loan my books. It's one of the few things I miss about reading on the Kindle -- being able to loan books to friends/coworkers. I bought a hardcover of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two for two reasons: because I find it easier to read a play on paper vs. screen and so I could loan it out.

Mirel wrote: "Can I count "Sisters One, Two, Three which I read in January, but before I knew about the challenge?"

Absolutely!

message 37: by Janet (new)

Janet | 43 comments Fannie wrote: "Bonjour tous,

I am done with Fall of Giants for the war book. I liked it a lot and will read the sequel (Winter of the World) for the title with a season. But not ye..."

I read the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child for the Advanced Challenge - for the Bestseller in 2016 category. Not sure if you are doing that challenge as well, but I think it fits for that.

message 38: by Janet (new)

Janet | 43 comments I am at 4/52. This week I read 2 books:

The Invisible Library (First in a series I have not read.) Quite enjoyable light reading, I will read the second in the series even if I can't find a prompt to slot it under.

Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Tell You Everything You Need to Know About Global Politics. I highly recommend this, fascinating book on geopolitical forces, at a 50,000 foot viewpoint. I read this for a book with subtitles, but it would also fall under a book with pictures.

message 39: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 418 comments Janet wrote: "I am at 4/52. This week I read 2 books:

The Invisible Library (First in a series I have not read.) Quite enjoyable light reading, I will read the second in the series even if I can..."

I will use the sequel to The Invisible Library for the steampunk prompt.

Caly ☯ Crazy Book Lady Ldygray wrote: "Hi everyone!
This week I've finished 3 books (bringing me to 4/52).

The Lost City of the Monkey God: A True Story for a book published in 2017. Caly, I'll look forward to your review! I really enjoyed this one, although it made me never want to go to the jungle.
.."

Will let you know for sure. At the very least I agree that I am now reluctant to ever consider visiting the jungle either.

message 41: by Jacque T (new)

Jacque T | 54 comments This week (ok a few minutes ago) I finished Pies and Prejudice: In Search of the North for a book with a subtitle. It had rare moments that were awesome, but overall it was a 2 star book, which was disappointing because I had looked forward to reading it.

I started reading The Sacred Romance Drawing Closer To The Heart Of God Hardcover which has been on my TBR list for too long. Actually, I started the book 4 years ago, lost it in a move and have just recently bought it on Kindle. Had to start over because I had forgotten too much of the first couple of chapters.

I am continuing to read: The Birth of the Modern: World Society 1815-1830 (800+ pages)
I've put on hold: Wolf Hollow. If it wins the Newbery next week, I'll reconsider finishing it. Otherwise, life is too short to read books I don't enjoy!
Next up: As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride Not sure if it will meet any of the prompts or just be for the joy of reading it!

QOTW: I'm happy to loan books to fellow readers. I'm always thrilled when someone trusts my taste to want to read what I read. Yes, it sometimes leads to sadness if a beloved book doesn't come home, but it isn't often.

Caly ☯ Crazy Book Lady Shelly wrote: "Hello, Fellow Readers:

I read The Miniaturist beautifully written, atmospheric book set in seventeenth century Amsterdam.

..."

I thought the Miniaturist was wonderful as well! Hmm about The Bees as I just downloaded it because it seemed really cool.

message 43: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 123 comments Caly ☯ wrote: "Shelly wrote: "Hello, Fellow Readers:

I read The Miniaturist beautifully written, atmospheric book set in seventeenth centu..."

Let me know if you like The Bees. It could be that I'm just not smart enough to "get it."

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 31 comments Hello!

I finished reading We Were Liars for the unreliable narrator prompt. I guessed part of it half way through so it dragged a bit until I got to the part where I hadn't guessed. It was an okay book.

I also read Bitch Planet #1 for the book with pictures. I don't normally read graphic novels but this was very well done and I highly recommend it.

I finished The Alchemist for another challenge and I thought I was going to love it since everyone seems to think it's great but I was a bit disappointed. I'll try another book by this author though.

I read Running Like a Girl for another challenge. It wasn't a very deep book, but it got me thinking about taking up running again so I guess it was pretty good for that!

I finished Elon Musk: Inventing the Future which I may use for a subtitle prompt, but I'm not sure yet. I read this really for another challenge as well. Generally I don't enjoy non-fiction books, so I read one chapter a night before I allowed myself to read a fiction book. I actually did enjoy reading about his history and how he started and how he continues to prosper today. It was interesting.

My last one for this week is Something Wicked This Way Comes which I listened to on audio while I cleaned my basement. I'll probably use this for the holiday prompt. I didn't care for this book very much. I guess it seemed a bit dated. I'm not sure what it was that made this book uninteresting to me.

Wow - didn't realize how much reading I did this last week!!

I'm almost done with Kindred and it is really good. I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. I've also started Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil for the food prompt, but I may not finish it. I can't seem to get into it.

QOTW: I usually get my books from the library or on my kindle but I recently started the book of the month club and now I'm getting some physical books again. Those I'll give to my Mom to read when I'm done if I think she'll enjoy it and when she's done she usually gives it to the library. I don't usually keep many books unless they're really special and those I don't generally lend out since I never seem to get them back. I've had to replace my Catch-22 3 times!

message 45: by Emanuel (new)

Emanuel | 250 comments olá. last week I finished Summer Sisters- season and family member prompts, and started reading O Assobiador, from Ondjaki for severals prompts:a colour author, country I never visited and pseudonymon.
I normally loan my books with my collegues, and if one of then like thebook, they pass to another colegue until one delivery to me and take another loan.

message 46: by Sam (new)

Sam (hywar) I'm at 11/52 right now.

This week I finished Milk and Honey, The Trap, and Baby Doll.

I wasn't super impressed with any of the books I read this week. Milk and Honey was good, but I borrowed a digital copy from the library and it wouldn't show up correctly. Some of the letters were really hard to read no matter what font I picked, so I spent the majority of the time distracted. I'm trying to get more into poetry, but this one just didn't do it for me. There were maybe a dozen poems that I was really struck by, and the rest just seemed like they were there to take up some space in the book.

The Trap and Baby Doll were both a drag to read. I made it though so that I could use them to complete the challenge, but they really weren't enjoyable at all. Both of them had absolutely cliche endings that annoyed me a lot. Plus, there were just a lot of things that didn't seem to make sense. I'm still not sure why the basement door was ever left unlocked in Baby Doll and I'm very mad about the 'plot twist' where (view spoiler). I kind of regret not using The Trap for (view spoiler) challenge, though. It was just too good of a fit for story within a story.

But, hey. I finished three challenges: a story within a story, a book by an author from a country you've never visited, and a book that takes place over a character's lifespan.

QOTW

I loan out books all the time. I teach reading class at a middle school, so pretty much all of my YA books are constantly being loaned out. For any book that I really like, I'll normally either by a spare copy or get a digital version for myself.

message 47: by Kayla (last edited Jan 19, 2017 11:28AM) (new)

Kayla | 9 comments Hi all!
I don't normally post in discussions but 2017 is all about accountability for me, so this will help keep me on track, I hope.

I will finish book 2/40 this afternoon. It's been a slow start with reading this year, but I think the book I'm reading now is what's holding me back. I read We Were Liars for the unreliable narrator prompt and burned though it in a day. I'm reading Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (I LOVED his Pretties/Uglies/Specials series) for my steampunk prompt, and am not enjoying it at all. It might be the repetitiveness of some of the words, but I can't wait to be finished with one and move on to the next.

I think I'm going to start Forty Words for Sorrow by Giles Blunt next since it's based in the city where I live and has recently been turned into a mini series (also filmed where I live). It's the first book in the Cardinal Mystery series, so I believe I will use it for the first book in a series you've never read prompt.

QOTW: I used to lend out books but once let someone borrow my entire Rainbow Rowell collection and it came back with cracked spines, ripped dust jackets, coffee and other mystery stains, dog eared pages. I was heartbroken. Never again.

message 48: by Cindy H. (new)

Cindy H. | 30 comments Just remembered it's check in day!
I haven't been very good with posting but I've been a busy reader. So this is going to be a three week roundup.
Read SUMMER HOUSE WITH SWIMMING POOL ~ season in the title
Read PULL ME UNDER ~ Involving travel
Read BORN A CRIME ~ author from a country you never visited
Read INSIDE THE KINGDOM ~ different ethnicity from yours
Read GIRL WITH LOWER BACK TATTOO ~ Interesting woman

Halfway through THE MUSE, which will be ~ told from two time periods
5.5/40
Haven't committed to the advanced challenge because I am participating in 5 additional challenges

message 49: by Cindy H. (new)

Cindy H. | 30 comments How do you tag a book?
Thanks, I've been on GoodReads for 5 plus years and I still haven't figured it out.

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandaea129) My husband and I went away for the weekend for his birthday, which means lots of time to read (it's great being married to a fellow reader!)

19. A book about food The City Baker's Guide to Country Living. This was a really nice book, very easy read.

6. A book with one of the four seasons in the title The Winter People. As I mentioned in the group read thread, I loved this book. So glad it was chosen as I'd never heard of it before.

15. A book with a subtitle The Nesting Place: It Doesn't Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful. This was a pretty good book. I really liked her main point, but it was rather religious and, I felt, biased toward traditional gender roles, so not really the best for me, but decent overall.

2. A book that's been on your TBR list for way too long Madame Bovary. My freshman college English professor recommended this to me and 17 years later I finally made it through. Definitely slow to start, I think it makes good points and gets more interesting, but not really what I tend to read at this point in my life. If I hadn't chosen it for my IRL book club to read this month, I would have stopped after the first couple chapters.

QOTW: I tend to loan books knowing that odds are I won't get them back. In fact, I need to start asking for a time management book I had loaned out a couple years ago that I actually would like back! Ironic, I know :-)

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.