The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2016 > 50.1 - Allison Ann's task: Celebrating Birthdays

Comments Showing 1-50 of 233 (233 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jan 23, 2017 03:01AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4536 comments Mod
50.1 - Allison Ann's Task: Celebrating Birthdays

For this task, you will read three books, one from each option below. No books with the main page genre childrens or kids may be used for this task.

The offer to write the 50 point task came right after my birthday, so I thought, why not celebrate birthdays, or mine anyway. You will need to state your birthday for this task - if you don't want to disclose it online feel free to generate a random one. If someone wants to steal my identity, I will probably just fake my death and run away from home, but I realise not everyone is as blase as I.

Here's a random date generator. Please use dates within 5 years of your actual birthday.

When you click on the random date generator, first choose "1" as the number of dates to be generated. Then put in the starting and ending dates for your search. If your real birthday is January 1, 1950, you would enter January 1, 1945 as the starting date, and December 31, 1955 as the ending date.

In Step 2, check off all the days of the week.
In Step 3, select a date format. For SRC posting purposes, choose one of the "month first" options.
Click "get dates" and you'll have a brand new birthdate for purposes of this task.

REQUIRED: You must include in your post the birthdate you are using (actual or randomly generated), and you must use the same date for all options.

Alrighty, on we go. My birthday is January 14, 1970. Amazon gift certificates are always welcome, thank you. :D

Book 1 – Month: Read a book that meets at least two of the three criteria:

a) First published in the month you were born, of any year. The month MUST be present in the Goodreads record.
b) Title starts with the first letter of the month in which you were born (include all articles). January = J, February = F, etc.
c) Cover is at least 50% the colour of your birthstone. This is the list I'm going with.
January - red
February - purple
March - blue
April - white
May - green
June - purple
July - red
August - green
September - blue
October - pink
November - yellow
December - blue-green

Example: If you were born in September, you might choose Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2) by Darynda Jones by Darynda Jones because it starts with an S and has a blue cover.

REQUIRED: State in your post how your book fits the criteria of this option. Include the cover if using option c.

Book 2 – Day: Read a book with your birth date (day) intact in the GR book rating, if you were born on a single digit day you must use a leading zero in your rating.

Examples: if your birthdate is the 5th of the month, you will use a book with an average rating containing "05." The View from the Cheap Seats: Selected Nonfiction currently has a rating of 4.05. If you were born on the 27th, Gone with the Wind currently has a rating of 4.27.

Since ratings can change, you might want to get your rating noted in the help thread.

Book 3 – Year: Take your year of birth and subtract your age. Read a book first published in that new year.

If you have made up your birthday, you now have to figure out how old you would be if that was your real birthday.

So, if you were (air quotes) born on December 31, 1999 (air quotes) you would be 17 years old and have a Prince song written about you. 1999 - 17 = 1982. Here's a list of popular books published in 1982. You could read A is for Alibi (it's good, you'll like it - there's no internet or cell phones, it's like historical fiction for 17 year olds).

You can change the year on the Popular Books list to the year you come up with after subtracting your age from your birth year. The popular book lists only go back as far as 1917, so if you were born before 1967, you can read any book first published before 1917.

No I am not punishing you with math, I just avoid the seedy underbelly of the internet. It is all acapella singing competitions and puppy videos where I live. I don't want to think about hackers hanging out in book chats. So strange.

REQUIRED: Please show your math! Example: 1999 - 17 = 1982.

message 2: by Allison Ann (last edited Feb 23, 2017 06:26AM) (new)

Allison Ann | 402 comments Approved Covers, Publications and Ttles

Approved for blue cover and title Murder Most Frothy (Coffeehouse Mystery, #4) by Cleo Coyle Secrets of the heart stories by Pearl S. Buck Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick

Approved for red cover and January publication date Mr. Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt In the Blood by Lisa Unger The Swans of Fifth Avenue by Melanie Benjamin The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick

Approved for red cover and July publication date Hot Wheels and High Heels (Playboys, #1) by Jane Graves The Wife Test (Brides of Virtue, 1) by Betina Krahn

Approved for white cover and title Ancestor by Scott Sigler All the Single Ladies Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation by Rebecca Traister

Approved for green cover and August publication date Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward

Approved for green cover and May publication date The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry

Approved for green cover and title A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1) by Sue Grafton Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie MASH A Novel About Three Army Doctors (M*A*S*H, #1) by Richard Hooker Madam A Novel of New Orleans by Cari Lynn

Approved for blue-green cover and title Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs The Astounding Interconnectedness of the Universe by Lisa Randall Dragonflight (Pern Dragonriders of Pern, #1) by Anne McCaffrey Dear Thing by Julie Cohen

Approved for purple cover and June publication date Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5) by Lisa Kleypas

Approved for yellow cover and title Northanger Abbey and Persuasion The Oxford Illustrated Jane Austen Volume V by Jane Austen

Approved for white cover and title All the Old Knives by Olen Steinhauer

message 3: by Allison Ann (last edited Feb 23, 2017 06:27AM) (new)

Allison Ann | 402 comments Approved Ratings

1st - Cannery Row The Birds Scrappy Little Nobody

2nd - 1861: The Civil War Awakening

4th - After Midnight This Lullaby Moonglow Dying To Forget The Black Ice It Had to Be You

5th - the sisters antipode Strangers on a Bridge: The Case of Colonel Abel and Francis Gary Powers1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus CreatedMichelangelo and the Sistine ChapelThe Elementals All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation

6th - Beautiful Bastard Precisamos Falar Sobre o Kevin The Summer that Melted Everything Beautiful Bastard

7th - The Butterfly Garden Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries What Am I Doing in the Pits? The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie

8th - The Summer that Melted Everything The Pawn Shadow's End

9th - Just Try To Stop Me The Valhalla Prophecy Shearwater Part One Mistress of Fortune Only the Brave

10th - The Parfit Knight Wyrd Sisters In For A Penny On the Edge of the Loch: A Psychological Novel set in Ireland Rookie Privateer The Last Descendant A Touch of Midnight

11th - The Good Divide American Gods The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

12th - The Martian Chronicles War Horse The Sinner Shadows of the Workhouse Boy Born Dead

13th - Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory

14th - The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax House of Leaves A Life in Parts The Waves I'll Give You the Sun Oranges & Sunshine Blackwood Filthy English Fangirl Twisted Up Black Order Inside the Victorian Home: A Portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian England

15th - Moloka'i

16th - Broken Homes Fearless Know Me Well Be with Me The Baller: A Down and Dirty Football Novel The Cardinal Dispatches from Pluto: Lost and Found in the Mississippi Delta Paris Red The Book of Jonah In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches Black Moon

17th - Broken Prince The Nix The Sparrow

18th - Crime and Catnip Carry On

19th - Gone to the Forest Pale Fire The Popularity Rules Hard Evidence Dragon Knight's Sword Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival

20th - Broken Rebecca Naked Edge Rock Chick When Falcons Fall Outlander

21st - Police A Different Blue

22nd - Undaunted Courage: The Pioneering First Mission to Explore America's Wild Frontier Memory and Dream Collected Short Stories: Volume 3 The Sun Is Also a Star The Somnambulist From the Files of the Time Rangers Timescoop The Dragon Reborn Doctor Who: Big Bang Generation The Alchemists of Loom Wild Seed Sunbolt

23rd - The Long Goodbye

24th - Reader, I Married Him: Stories Inspired by Jane Eyre The Dream Lover: A Novel of George Sand Mainspring By Light Alone Pride and Prejudice Tangled Up in Brew Moonshadow Dreams of Gods and Monsters

25th - The Thursday Club Postern of Fate

26th - Kane and Abel Madame Presidentess

27th - My Family and Other Animals I, Claudius

28th - Freedom Is a Constant Struggle: Ferguson, Palestine, and the Foundations of a Movement

29th - Hitman Anders and the Meaning of It All

30th - Under Ground Security Carpathia The n-Body Problem

message 4: by Allison Ann (last edited Jan 21, 2017 06:39AM) (new)

Allison Ann | 402 comments Approved Publication Years

1916 and before - The Turn of the Screw by Henry James Uneasy Money by P.G. Wodehouse

1972 - Os Elefantes Não Esquecem / Morte Pela Porta Das Traseiras by Agatha Christie

message 5: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4536 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments For Book 2, could you verify the intact "25" in the rating of The Thursday Club?

message 7: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 20, 2017 07:44AM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments For Book 2, when your birthdate is on 4th could either 4.00 or 3.94 ratings work?

Please confirm Whiskey Business for 4.00 and When the Dust Settles for 3.94 average rating.

message 8: by Trish (last edited Jan 20, 2017 03:24AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2470 comments Allison Ann wrote: "You can change the year on the Popular Books list to the year you come up with after subtracting your age from your birth year. The popular book lists only go back as far as 1917, so if you were born before 1967, you can read any book first published before 1917."

Yep, I've fallen before 1917. Boy I feel old now! :-) Mind you, that might make it easier to find a book than if I had a specific year to work from. For the other two books:

Book 1: Can you confirm that the cover of this is "blue" enough for a March birthday:
Murder Most Frothy (Coffeehouse Mystery, #4) by Cleo Coyle .

Book 2: Please could you ratings lock Crime and Catnip for 4.18 - ie 18th of the month.

message 9: by Marie (UK) (last edited Jan 20, 2017 03:01PM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2453 comments My birthday is 03/12/1957 american style date month first this is a really difficult task, its certainly not one of my favourites, especially the rating which changes rapidly what happens if our rating changes between post and approval?

option 1. My Tomorrow, Your Yesterday starts with M for March and was published March 6th 2015
option 2 The Giver rating 4.12 - my birthdate is 12th https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... i have take a screenshot of the rating at 4.12
option 3 The Turn of the Screw first published in 1898 is the year if you take 59 off 1957 - 59 = 1898 I assume i do not HAVE to use the popular book lists

please can you approve for each option

message 11: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1670 comments Could I have All the Birds in the Sky approved for 53 in the rating?

1953 - 3.59 rating

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15712 comments Mod
Please note 4.16 average rating for Broken Homes. Thanks!

message 13: by Karen Michele (last edited Jan 20, 2017 05:31AM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1670 comments Would you accept either of these books as 50% red covers?

Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake
...and would I be using the original publishing date of January because I need January and a red cover?

For this one, it looks more red than this in "real life". I think the picture looks orange though - would it count?
Mr. Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt

I found one more that definitely is red, but I'd have to be able to count the actual publication date of the edition which is listed as January. Would it work?
As Red as Blood by Salla Simukka

message 14: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Great task Allison, Congratulations.

I just wanted to verify the rating on this book for the day 09

Just Try To Stop Me (Waterman and Stark #3) by Gregg Olsen

message 15: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Also for the year do we have to use the popular books list or can we read a book actually published in the specific year?

My Random Birthday is: March 9, 1956 so I subtracted 60 from that to get 1896 and found a book published in 1896. Will that work?

message 16: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3888 comments Please verify average rating of 4.13 - Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory.

Thank you.

message 17: by Amy (last edited Jan 20, 2017 07:32AM) (new)

Amy | 1159 comments Can I get the following two approved:

Book 1: Ancestor by Scott Sigler (white and letter A)

Book 2: Broken for rating 4.20.

Thanks!

message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17501 comments Mod
Please confirm 4.27 rating My Family and Other Animals

message 19: by Allison Ann (last edited Jan 20, 2017 05:27PM) (new)

Allison Ann | 402 comments Suzanne wrote: "For Book 2, could you verify the intact "25" in the rating of The Thursday Club?"

Rating approved for birthday on the 25th.

message 20: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Can I lock in Dune for the #14, for the rating? It's currently at 4.18.

message 21: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 402 comments Elizabeth wrote: "For Book 2, when your birthdate is on 4th could either 4.00 or 3.94 ratings work?

Please confirm Whiskey Business for 4.00 and When the Dust Settles for 3.94 averag..."

Sorry Elizabeth, birthday on the 4th means you need a .04 rating. 4.04, 3.04, 2.04 and 1.04 would all work.

message 22: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments Please confirm 4.04 rating for After Midnight, please!

message 23: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1110 comments Book 2 was by far the hardest one to nail down for me. Can I get

The Summer that Melted Everything
and
The Pawn

verified for 4.08?

message 25: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) I misunderstood the requirement. Please ignore my request for Dune.

message 26: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Could I get these three books verified for GR rating 4.11?

The Good Divide

American Gods

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Thanks!

message 27: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments Great task! Can I get the rating confirmed for Cannery Row - 4.01?

Thanks!

message 28: by Jukka (new)

Jukka Särkijärvi (nitessine) | 505 comments Could you lock in 4.14 for House of Leaves?

Thank you.

message 29: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Can I get the following books verified for a 4.14 rating?
A Life in Parts
The Waves
I'll Give You the Sun
Oranges & Sunshine

message 30: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann | 45 comments please verify the following books:

Britt-Marie Was Here green cover a published in may

Police rating of 4.21

Uneasy Money published 1916 my birthday is 1951 so before 1917

thanks,
Leslie

message 31: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2068 comments For Option 2:
Need: ".22"
Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West
Memory and Dream
Collected Short Stories: Volume 3
The Sun Is Also a Star

The Somnambulist
From the Files of the Time Rangers
Timescoop
Mainspring
By Light Alone

I'm not sure which one I'll read but I'll be picking one of these 9. If you can do a quick check that they are 4.22 or 3.22, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

message 32: by Fandury (last edited Jan 20, 2017 10:37AM) (new)

Fandury | 975 comments I need for the day a 30. In my Shelves I see these as a rating of 3.30, but on the book page itself, they only show the 3.3. Can I use them, or do I need books with a 3.0x rating?

Can you please confirm these ratings?

Under Ground by S.L. Grey rating 3.30
Security by Gina Wohlsdorf rating 3.30
Carpathia by Matt Forbeck rating 3.06
The n-Body Problem by Tony Burgess rating 3.03

message 33: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 232 comments In regard to "Day" I would like to read THIS LULLABY by Sara Dessen that currently has a Goodreads rating of 4.04 which will correspond to the day of my birth, February 4. I want to lock that in as you say ratings do change which happened to me on a task once so I learned my lesson on that!

This Lullaby

It could also work as a purple book if anyone is looking for one.

message 34: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiabaxter) | 712 comments CYNBAXTER

Hi there - wanted to grab a snapshot of the Avg rating for Pride and Prejudice which is 4.24 as of 01/20/2017 1503....for the 24th day of the month.

Thanks!!

message 35: by Laure (new)

Laure (goodreadscomlaure) | 460 comments Hi!
Could you confirm please the '06' rating for Beautiful Bastard as of 20/01/2017?
Thank you very much.

message 36: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 533 comments Please confirm 4.07 rating for The Butterfly Garden

message 37: by Kristen (new)

Kristen IA (kristenia) | 701 comments Please confirm 4.21 as the rating for A Different Blue and that it will work for my August 21st birthday for book 2. Fun task...thanks!

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7545 comments can I please get approved for ratings:
Fearless - rating 4.16
Know Me Well - 4.16
Be with Me - 4.16

message 39: by Cathy M. (last edited Jan 20, 2017 12:10PM) (new)

message 40: by Jonquil (last edited Jan 20, 2017 12:13PM) (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments How creative!

.09 books from my TBR

The Valhalla Prophecy
Shearwater Part One
Mistress of Fortune

Thanks!

message 41: by Jonquil (last edited Jan 20, 2017 12:41PM) (new)

Jonquil | 1059 comments Love your comment about the historical fiction. I chose A is for Alibi from my library's "new this week" shelf. Since that historical fact confirms that I am vintage, does the date range start with 1917 or should books be 1916 and before. I'm asking because the listopias of "popular books published in" only seem to go back to 1917 and I'm hoping to be lazy in my search. Off to keep searching for a cheatsheet as I await your response...

Update. Searching listopia for best books of 19XX and 18XX does generate sadly-short lists that are mostly children's but it's a starting point for the scavenger hunt. I am still wondering about 1917, however. Thanks!

message 42: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Does this work for 50% white?
All the Single Ladies Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation by Rebecca Traister

message 43: by Maddie (new)

Maddie O. | 131 comments Can you verify Fangirl for a rating of 4.14, please?

message 44: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2050 comments Could I have Gone to the Forest verified for 3.19 rating and Pale Fire for 4.19 rating?

message 45: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1419 comments Can I get The Dragon Reborn noted at a 4.22 rating?

message 46: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 232 comments Hello again! I am seeking approval for a book cover for Purple my February birthstone. I would like to read On the Night of the Seventh Moon by Victoria Holt. There are several editions but the one I have is mostly purple, I think but need your OK before I proceed in reading it.

On the Night of the Seventh Moon by Victoria Holt

message 47: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyd) | 256 comments Cindy C.

I am hoping for approval for book 2. My birth day is the 27th. As of today, at 4:41 pm PST, this book has an average rating of 4.27.

I, Claudius I, Claudius (Claudius, #1) by Robert Graves

message 48: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 402 comments Trish wrote: "Allison Ann wrote: "You can change the year on the Popular Books list to the year you come up with after subtracting your age from your birth year. The popular book lists only go back as far as 191..."

Looks blue on my screen - approved.

Rating approved.

message 49: by Allison Ann (last edited Jan 20, 2017 05:34PM) (new)

Allison Ann | 402 comments Marie wrote: "My birthday is 03/12/1957 american style date month first this is a really difficult task, its certainly not one of my favourites, especially the rating which changes rapidly what happens if our ra..."

Sorry you don't like my tasks Marie. :)

Your first and third books are approved, but unfortunately The Giver is marked Childrens and therefore isn't allowed.

message 50: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 402 comments Katie wrote: "Wow, this is a hard one. For option 2, can you approve the following books for ratings with .05?
The Sisters Antipodes
[book:Strangers on a Bridge: The Case of Colonel Abel and Franc..."

All books approved for .05 rating and some definitely going on my TBR.

« previous 1 3 4 5