Play Book Tag discussion

Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1)
This topic is about Ink and Bone
January 2017: Bonus Admin Tags > Ink and Bone - Rachel Caine (librarian tag) 4 1/2 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1311 comments Admin Tag: Librarian

Ink and Bone - Rachel Caine

4 1/2 stars (rounded down on my shelf)

Ink and Bone is a young adult alternative history/steampunk/fantasy novel. It takes place in a world like ours, but where the Great Library of Alexandria survived the fire that threatened to destroy it and all its knowledge. The library becomes powerful throughout the world and controls books and therefore knowledge. It is illegal for anyone to own an "original" book other than the library. In this story the printing press was never invented (due to efforts of the library to protect its power) so all original books are hand copied and rare. Regular people have blanks that are blank books that are magically connected to the library where they can see the text of any book the library makes available to them (they are kind of like ebooks). The main character, Jess, is the son of a man who runs a book smuggling organization. His father has him take the test to become a librarian scholar in order to have an inside man. Once accepted, Jess meets a bunch of other teens in the library training program and must figure out where his loyalties lie.

I really enjoyed reading this book. I liked the characters that Jess meets at school and the adventures that endure in the name of earning a place at the library. The world has an interesting premise, especially to someone that loves books and reading. I also liked the politics of the world that Caine created and look forward to reading the next two books in the trilogy.

message 2: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1266 comments I've wanted to read this one for a while. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Someday I'll read it too, lol.

message 3: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 824 comments This looks really good! Have you read any of the Morganville books? I read a few, but didn't find them as interesting as this plot sounds. Thanks for the review.

Cora (corareading) | 1311 comments Kimber wrote: "This looks really good! Have you read any of the Morganville books? I read a few, but didn't find them as interesting as this plot sounds. Thanks for the review."

I haven't read the Morganville books, but I have read Ill Wind in the Weather Warden series. This one is definitely more young adult than that one. The characters are in their late teens (17 I think) and there is a little romantic interest, but that is secondary to other aspects of the plot.

LibraryCin | 8129 comments I'm not usually a fan of steampunk, but I have to say I love the premise of this!

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I didn't enjoy this one as much as you........partly because I had pretty high expectations. I thought the world was a bit strange and the pacing was a bit uneven........however, because of reading challenges, I think I didn't read it straight through which may have contributed to my perceptions.

Cora (corareading) | 1311 comments LibraryCin wrote: "I'm not usually a fan of steampunk, but I have to say I love the premise of this!"

The steampunk elements were not overwhelming. The library used giant automatons as enforcers and there was some steam powered transportation, but it was not as part of everyday life as other steampunk style books I have read.

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Cora wrote: "The steampunk elements were not overwhelming. ..."

Good to know! Thank you!